Michelins PSS are done!
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Michelins PSS are done!

After 22,000 miles my Michelins Pilot SS are done. I thought this tires will last a little longer but the thread is gone. I decided not to spend that much money on tires and tire rack recommended BF Goodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2 ultra high performance. They say this tire may last 35,000 miles and they are a fraction of the price of Michelins. They also nicer looking. The guys at the tire place where I installed them they said that it is an excellent tire.
      '16 V60 Polestar

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

They are a pretty good tire for the average driver...That being said for someone coming from Michelin Pilot Super Sports that lasted 22k, I believe it is safe to say your not the average driver. With regards to the new tires they might last a little longer, but they also might not perform as well. Its a little harder to compare the two tires given they are in different performance categories, but let us know what you think. Good luck with the new shoes!
      2007 Magic Blue S60RFull Custom STAGE3|1offTurbo|Projector HID| |Full LED Interior|Tires MPSS|AEM| 4" SNABB Intake|3 1/8" Turboback Exhaust|Bob Vila Mod|IPD Poly SubFrame Bushings|IPD Boost Gauge|IPD Throttle Inlet|Short Shifter| Ipod Adapter|BLACKED Front Grills|BLACKED Wheel Caps|Badge Delete|18%Tint|Gun Smoked Lights|IPD R Door Pins|IPD Poly Engine/Trans Mount

Go for it! I'm going to get some for my C30 before The Rains Start in June. Great reviews and the price is right and made in the U.S.A.
      My OEM Michelins are also long in the tooth...
      Rapid Rick...I roll
      2008 C30 Matt Pearl Gold OSD-customized w/Elevate tune
      2015 V60 Seashell Metallic w/Platinum, BLIS, wood

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Are you asking for advise, or?... I love PSS, I consider that they are absolutely worth the premium... but I have no personal experience with the other tire... Old g-force was not to my liking, but I have no idea how it compares.
      -- 2014 S60 R-Design

22k? Hell, I haven't seen north of 15k ever on either my R or RD! I keep devouring the inner shoulders. Kuhmos, Contis, and lots of Michelins. Between the Texas heat, the heavy aggegate in our asphalt roads, the curvy FM roads, the weight of the S60's, the torque vectoring, and the soft rubber of Y-rated tires (even the stupid H-rated on OEMs on the RD) just ruin my budget.

But performance wise, the PSS is an awesome tire. Soft. Grabby. Awesome.
      2013 S60 R-Design, Ice White
      SOLD: 2007 S60R GT Passion Red / Gobi
      2008 XC-90 V8 AWD Executive Package Willow Green / Black

Just for the sake of discussion, I think the tire load index rating is 95 (XL) for the S60. The Michelin PSS is a XL rated tire. The BFG g-Force Sport COMP-2 is a SL rated tire. Granted, the max load of the front axle is 1377 and the max load of the g-Force is 1356. That's not much difference but I'm surprised a retail tire store sold/installed those tires.

As far as the tire goes, I think it's a very good tire. Definitely a better wet-performing tire than its counterparts. I think you might find it rides just a little harsher and may transmit a little more noise into the cabin than comparable tires.

Last but not least, the Michelin is a Max Performance Summer tire while the BFG is a Ultra High Performance Summer tire. You should expect to get more mileage out of the BFG without sacrificing much in the way of performance and handling.
      2015.5 XC70 T6 Platinum Caspian Blue Metallic/Off Black, Heico Sport Suspension, IPD swaybar, Ferrita/TME Exhaust, Polestar #1640
      2014 XC60 R-Design Passion Red/Off Black, OSD, Savini BM7, Eibach Lowering Springs, IPD swaybar, Koni FSD, Polestar #1563
      2006 V70R 6M ElecSilver/Nordkap, 18" Pegs, Bell FMIC
      2004 S60R 6M TiGrey/Nordkap, 18" Ti Pegs, Bell FMIC, IPD Stage II, TME Exhaust, Eibachs, Quaife LSD

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
      Just for the sake of discussion, I think the tire load index rating is 95 (XL) for the S60. The Michelin PSS is a XL rated tire. The BFG g-Force Sport COMP-2 is a SL rated tire. Granted, the max load of the front axle is 1377 and the max load of the g-Force is 1356. That's not much difference but I'm surprised a retail tire store sold/installed those tires.

As far as the tire goes, I think it's a very good tire. Definitely a better wet-performing tire than its counterparts. I think you might find it rides just a little harsher and may transmit a little more noise into the cabin than comparable tires.

Last but not least, the Michelin is a Max Performance Summer tire while the BFG is a Ultra High Performance Summer tire. You should expect to get more mileage out of the BFG without sacrificing much in the way of performance and handling.
      So since the max load is 1377 of the front axle is there a chance that the tire may give up?
      '16 V60 Polestar

Nokian Zline tires are supposed to be on par with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports and Pirelli Pzeros. 22K isn't too bad as far as the Michelin PSS tires are concerned. Ultra summer performance tires aren't going to last much longer, if they do, consider yourself lucky.
      His: 2016 Focus ST
      Hers: 2018 S90 T5
      Past Volvos: 2014 S60 K-PAX GT5 with KPAX GTR brake kit, ELEVATE turbo intake pipe, ELEVATE intake manifold; 2009 C30 T5 R-Design; 2005 S40 2.4i; 1998 S70 T5

Quote Originally Posted by rlvdesign View Post
      So since the max load is 1377 of the front axle is there a chance that the tire may give up?
      Probably not. That figure takes into account you are carrying the maximum capacity weight of 1200 lbs, which is highly unlikely.

But, that figure is published for the purpose of cautioning people to buy tires with a load index rating that meets or exceeds that figure.
      2015.5 XC70 T6 Platinum Caspian Blue Metallic/Off Black, Heico Sport Suspension, IPD swaybar, Ferrita/TME Exhaust, Polestar #1640
      2014 XC60 R-Design Passion Red/Off Black, OSD, Savini BM7, Eibach Lowering Springs, IPD swaybar, Koni FSD, Polestar #1563
      2006 V70R 6M ElecSilver/Nordkap, 18" Pegs, Bell FMIC
      2004 S60R 6M TiGrey/Nordkap, 18" Ti Pegs, Bell FMIC, IPD Stage II, TME Exhaust, Eibachs, Quaife LSD

Quote Originally Posted by JC30 View Post
      Nokian Zline tires are supposed to be on par with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports and Pirelli Pzeros. 22K isn't too bad as far as the Michelin PSS tires are concerned. Ultra summer performance tires aren't going to last much longer, if they do, consider yourself lucky.
      I would agree....I'd consider myself fortunate to get 20k miles out out of a max summer performance tire...you're paying for ultimate grip which means a softer compound..enjoy those attributes and you'll get faster tire wear...tires are always a tradeoff... $, Grip, Longevity...maximize any two..but likely not all 3 in one tire!
      '15.5 Volvo V60 XC Platinum CPO
      '15 MINI Roadster S
      (Former: 1980 245 DL 4 speed OD; 2005 V50 T5 AWD GT
      OSD June 2005)

Quote Originally Posted by JC30 View Post
      I would agree....I'd consider myself fortunate to get 20k miles out out of a max summer performance tire...you're paying for ultimate grip which means a softer compound..enjoy those attributes and you'll get faster tire wear...tires are always a tradeoff... $, Grip, Longevity...maximize any two..but likely not all 3 in one tire!
      '15.5 Volvo V60 XC Platinum CPO
      '15 MINI Roadster S
      (Former: 1980 245 DL 4 speed OD; 2005 V50 T5 AWD GT
      OSD June 2005)

I realize this is an older thread, but I'm considering the BF Goodrich G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S as replacements on my T5 drive-E V60. Does the OP (or anyone else) have any input? Tire Rack really seems to love them!

I put them on my C30 last June and am VERY impressed with their grip and wet weather performance--perfect for our torrential downpours here...YMMV...
      Rapid Rick...I roll

Good timing Miatascooter, this weekend, I put on the BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S on my '12 S60. My Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tires were starting to get slick in the wet and losing their dry grip as well. They were down to 3/32". And they were getting louder.

After driving 300 miles over the weekend on them, I can tell you that these tires are nearly just as quiet as the Pirelli's. The tread pattern is VERY aggressive, so I was expecting a big jump in noise. The sidewall definitely feels stiffer, so there's a slight increase in feeling road imperfections. However, that same stiffer sidewall really translates in a HUGE jump in cornering ability and feel. The car feels more planted through sweeping turns and abrupt maneuvers. I got my 235/45/17s for about $107/tire delivered, which is about $30/tire less than the Pirellis. So far, I'm pretty impressed. From what I hear, the wet traction and handling of this tire is phenomenal, something that I was expecting a little more out of the Pirelli. I won't have to worry about snow and ice traction, as I have the Nokians for that duty.

As i mentioned, the tread pattern is very aggressive, especially in the shoulder. The tread is very dominant on the edges of the tire, which gives the rims a different look than the Pirellis. The BFG also has more rim edge protection than the Pirellis, so I'm hoping that will prevent the darling wife from giving another of my rims curb rash!
      Last edited by djstorm; 06-20-2016 at 08:34 AM.
      Steve
      Current: 2016 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Platinum
      Bright Silver Metallic exterior, Off-Black interior

Previous: 2012 Volvo S60 T5
      Vibrant Copper exterior, Beechwood Brown/Off-black interior
      Premium, Climate, and Multimedia Packages; Rear Entertainment, Xenons, PCC, Njord Wheels

Interesting. How many miles did you put on the Pirelli Cinturato Plus's? When did you put them on your car? I think that version (Plus) was just released in mid-2014?
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current
      ’18 V90 T6 AWD R-Design | '18 V90 CC T6 AWD Ocean Race Edition
      '05 CLK55 AMG Vert

Prior Volvo's
      '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 ORE Plat | '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat |’07 S40 T5

Quote Originally Posted by Bmo Pete View Post
      Interesting. How many miles did you put on the Pirelli Cinturato Plus's? When did you put them on your car? I think that version (Plus) was just released in mid-2014?
      I put the Pirellis on, according to one of my posts, in early May 2014. So I must have purchased them soon after they were released. I put about 35K on the Pirellis, FAR short of their 70K mile warranty.
      Steve

Premium, Climate, and Multimedia Packages; Rear Entertainment, Xenons, PCC, Njord Wheels

I looked into those BFGoodrich G-Force tires. They certainly seem like excellent tires. They also compare quite well by similarly classed offerings from Hankook, General, Dunlop, Cooper and Uniroyal, according to Consumer Reports as well as TireRack. In the end, I selected the Nexen N5000 due to a better warranty, across-the-board competence and ratings, and a phenominal price ($440 for tires, shipping, tax and installation). They likely won't carve quite a sharply as the BFGs, but it was a good compromise for my needs. Let us know about your final purchase and impressions.

I've had great success with Nitto Motivo tires on both my S80 and XC60. Not necessarily a tire for extreme performance, its a performance oriented all season tire that I've found to be a very balanced design that does many things well with few negatives. It's also a modestly priced tire that has a fairly long tread life. IF its available in your size, its worth your consideration, though it doesn't get a lot of attention in comparison to other more popular tires because it isn't visible on Tire Rack. More information on
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...Less-Travelled
      or
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...ghlight=motivo
      Last edited by Synesis; 06-20-2016 at 01:50 PM.
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD Ice White 2007 S80 V8 Electric Silver 2011 XC60 T6 R-Design Ice White 2012 S60 T6 R-Design Saville Gray

S60 Sojourn - S60 R-Design Information, Reference, and Build Thread

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking about bringing my new-to-me V60 to Deals Gap the last week of July. Kinda your neck of the woods, sylva143! I'm a little worried about pushing the OEM Cinturanos. This whole front wheel drive automatic transmission thing is very new to me! I was lucky enough to find a V60 with the 19" sports package \(^o^)/. the tires have 26k. Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by djstorm View Post
      I put the Pirellis on, according to one of my posts, in early May 2014. So I must have purchased them soon after they were released. I put about 35K on the Pirellis, FAR short of their 70K mile warranty.

Ya know, 35K may not be close to the 70K wear warranty, but it is very good compared to the competition. I never managed over 25K miles out of the Falken ZE912 or Conti Extremecontact DWS I used on my Audi AWD's.

Is your S60 AWD? This would chew-up the tire faster than FWD. Did you rotate the tires at least every 7-10K miles? Did you have an alignment every 10K miles? Perhaps you drive more aggressively than the average Joe? I personally drive relatively aggressively, yet when I replaced the OEM Pirelli P7 Cinturato's (non-Plus) on my V60 last fall at 30K miles, those tires still had 7-8/32 of tread left. I'm sure I could have gotten another 15-20K miles out of them, and that's with AWD, sports suspension and high torque.

I'll be happy if I can get 35K miles out of the P7 Cinturato Plus's I have on the car now.
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current
      ’18 V90 T6 AWD R-Design | '18 V90 CC T6 AWD Ocean Race Edition
      '05 CLK55 AMG Vert

Prior Volvo's
      '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 ORE Plat | '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat |’07 S40 T5

Generally speaking, my experience has been that you will rip through good summer sport tires (soft compounds) a bit faster than all seasons. The reduced braking distance and acceleration traction isn't limited the cost of the tires up front - you also pay in rubber, as the tires are getting shredded every time you take advantage of it.
      2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Package, Bowers & Wilkins, HUD, Rear Air Suspension, Polestar Optimization
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design
      Family History: 1983 Volvo 245 | 1987 Volvo 744 Turbo | 1993 Volvo 854 | 2001 Volvo S80 T6 | 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD | 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD | 2015.5 Volvo S60 Cross Country

I have no accurate numbers for PSS, but I have ballpark figures. My original P7 Cinturato were taken off around 7K-ish miles... I run summer and winter sets, so given that we just went through 30K service, let's split 24K miles on those two sets as 8K for winter set and 16K for PSS... I will probably not make through the summer... So call it 20K, though probably less than that. I tend to think that this is very much within limits, but, of course, this car is not kind to rubber.
      -- 2014 S60 R-Design

My last Acura had the same size tires and it only lasted 15k miles. For all the tires I tried the Michelin MXM4 is the best for tire tread and comfort.

Interesting tread ! I'm looking at tires now so i will have add them to my list of potential tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2003 mustang COBRA ( SVT 10th anniversary ) born on 6-26-03/ 4634 of 5082 of verts & 955th of 2003 SVT 10th ANNIV edition`s
      97 cobra pacific green 1 of 27 , 89 mustang LX 5.0 , 2012 Volvo S60 ( T-6 )

I'm about 47K on the Pirelli P7+, they still ride comfortable, grip well in the dry but the wet traction is ok and winter traction is reduced. Based on how they are now, I'll most likely be replacing them before the winter. Been reading up on Kumho Solus TA71, have some good dry traction, decent wet and priced quite well. These are not for the T5 RD though, this will be for the KIA Hybrid. I'll most likely get a set of the P7+ or something else when the P7s wear down, those BFGs look promising.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Current - 2016 S60 T5 R-Design Special Edition
      Gone - 2007 Volvo S80 V8 - we barely got to know each other

Quote Originally Posted by Miatascooter View Post
      Thanks for the input. I'm thinking about bringing my new-to-me V60 to Deals Gap the last week of July. Kinda your neck of the woods, sylva143! I'm a little worried about pushing the OEM Cinturanos. This whole front wheel drive automatic transmission thing is very new to me! I was lucky enough to find a V60 with the 19" sports package \(^o^)/. the tires have 26k. Hmm...
      You will be fine. As the first V60 to claim doing the Tail of the Dragon (don't forget Happy Valley) the Contis, surprisingly, stuck like glue (they were new). I did have Momma with me, but hit it pretty hard both ways. Only got passed by one crotch rocket and another guy trying to follow me had to take a knee. Decided to do Happy Valley on the way back to our cabin in TN and it was BRUTAL(ly fun ;-)
      Rapid Rick...I roll

Quote Originally Posted by Bmo Pete View Post
      Ya know, 35K may not be close to the 70K wear warranty, but it is very good compared to the competition. I never managed over 25K miles out of the Falken ZE912 or Conti Extremecontact DWS I used on my Audi AWD's.

Is your S60 AWD? This would chew-up the tire faster than FWD. Did you rotate the tires at least every 7-10K miles? Did you have an alignment every 10K miles? Perhaps you drive more aggressively than the average Joe? I personally drive relatively aggressively, yet when I replaced the OEM Pirelli P7 Cinturato's (non-Plus) on my V60 last fall at 30K miles, those tires still had 7-8/32 of tread left. I'm sure I could have gotten another 15-20K miles out of them, and that's with AWD, sports suspension and high torque.

I'll be happy if I can get 35K miles out of the P7 Cinturato Plus's I have on the car now.

I have the first year S60 FWD - purchased in May 2011. I rotated them every 7K miles - there was completely even wear on all of the tires and across the contact patch. I am a fairly aggressive driver - you have to be in order to survive Chicago rush hour! :-)

I'm going to probably test these in the wet tomorrow going storm chasing - there's a pretty good bet for a severe weather outbreak in northern IL tomorrow and I'm a certified SKYWARN storm spotter. Oh gee, I have to go out and look for tornadoes - oh darn...lol!
      Steve

Maybe not-so-good review on this site:
      http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427286

Hard to find a lot of real world reviews. Most online reviews come from a company sponsored thing at a track out west when the tire was revealed, where you don't know how the cars on other tires were really set up. Small variances in alignment and tire pressures can make a big difference.

I read just the opposite. GREAT for a DD running an AS tire vs a MAX summer only tire.
      2014 S60 T5 AWD, Sport, Power Blue, Beechwood, Full Heated, IPD Rear Bar W/HD links, IPD Skid Plate, IPD Cat-Back, IPD Trunk Spoiler, EST Strut Brace, KW V3's, Cratus Gun metal Grey 18*8, 235/45 Comp 2 A/S, (Winter 245/40-18 Ice-X), Snabb CAI, RICA Stage 2, KT4 DP, Do88 FMIC, Paddle Extensions, Viva 2 pt Rear Brace...…...
      2019 Mustang GT, PP1, etc, etc. Newest summer toy!
      1986 Mustang SVO, Summer toy, 340/340 hp/torque at the wheels on a 2.3 4 cyl turbo!
      2013 Imprezza hatch, Hers

Quote Originally Posted by Miatascooter View Post
      http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427286

Hard to find a lot of real world reviews. Most online reviews come from a company sponsored thing at a track out west when the tire was revealed, where you don't know how the cars on other tires were really set up. Small variances in alignment and tire pressures can make a big difference.

I read the whole thread, and it seems like a lot of the Camaro owners like the BFG tire. Granted, some of them are comparing a pure summer tire (they must come standard with Michelin Pilot Super Sports), so this A/S tire would obviously act differently during the summer. Personally, I like hearing that they like the tire and that it performs nearly as good as their UHP summer tires!
      Steve

Quote Originally Posted by djstorm View Post
      I read the whole thread, and it seems like a lot of the Camaro owners like the BFG tire. Granted, some of them are comparing a pure summer tire (they must come standard with Michelin Pilot Super Sports)...
      Yeah, reading the whole thread helps quite a bit. It still sounds like a very good AS tire

34. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements