Cookie Cutter Tune vs Dyno Tune
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Cookie Cutter Tune vs Dyno Tune

Can someone explain the differences between these two types of tunes? Let me guess...

Real dyno tunes are better because they're for your exact car. I don't get how though.

Plus, I've wanted to get a Shark tune for a stupidly long time. I've slowly been renovating my S80, and hopefully a tune will be coming soon. I have other things to worry about like getting those speakers thrown in properly. Too bad winter weather stopped me from doing anything past my mid-basses in the rear deck. I need to change my timing belt as well. I'm on the original timing belt, my S80 is over 80K miles, and I'm pretty sure the timing belt was slapped on from early 2004 or probably even 2003 depending on manufacturing date! So definitely no tune until I slap a kevlar belt in there along with the usual water pump, etc.

Then there's Hilton tuning which some profess is probably the best you can get because it's the closest to tuning to dyno results? Obviously it's not like taking the car in somewhere, but I've heard they monitor the car somehow and make adjustments over time? I don't know. I'm lost!

Help me out here!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Only real benefit to what most consider dyno tuning is you can make the passes safely.

Hilton gives you a datalogging piece of software that monitors variables, and makes corrections based on those. Idea is, make a log with the vehicle stock, make sure things look good, (well you'll probably be knocking, have silly fuel strategy and so on), then try a tune and log. If improvements are required, they are made and so on.

The biggest reason an in car tune is preferred is that you are testing the vehicle in the conditions in which you expect it to perform, and the results should be tailored to your vehicle.

The torque delete would be highly recommended for making first gear more useful.

Get an intercooler of some kind at the same time though. The intercooler with a stock vehicle heatsoaks too easily in the summer.

I'll agree with everything that Matt said, and add something else to consider:

Most of the reputable ots tunes were created 10+ years ago when "high mileage" might have meant 50-60k miles. The average P2 probably has 2-3 times that mileage by now.
      Even if u performed a full stage 0, with the type of mileage these cars now have, it is reasonable to have carbon buildup, partially blocked injectors, a loss of compression or all of the above.
      Installing an ots tune on a high mileage vehicle could be a recipe for disaster.

If nothing else, a custom tune may account for those factors safer than an ots tune - at least in theory.

My custom tune was also a lot cheaper from a local-ish reputable tuner.
      | 02 Volvo S80 T6 | Black | OETuning ECU Tune (15PSI) | IPD Gen 2 HD TCV | IPD R Intake Kit w/ K&N Oiled Filter | 3" Catback w/ Borla ProXS | Snabb Ultimate Big FMIC | Built 4T65 w/ Hayden Cooler | IPD Upper Poly Mount | IPD Poly Subframe Bushing Inserts | IPD Strut Bar Conversion | Bilstein B8 Shocks | H&R Springs | Michelin PSS 225/45/17 |

6. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements