What did you do to your wagon today? - Page 233
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 233 of 233 FirstFirst ... 133 183 223 229 230 231 232 233
    Results 8,121 to 8,143 of 8143
      Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
      Pulled the head.

Lots of deposits. Limestone formed clusters as high as 1/16" to 1/8". I blame Mobil 93 gas or Red Line High Performance oil. Was using those two almost exclusively for past 3-4 years. Valve stem seals were old, combustion chamber saw a lot of oil, so that limestone could be additives found in Red Line in large quantities.

I think I'll just go ahead and replace all exhaust valves, just to be safe... And switch to Shell and the low-ash Red Line Euro-Series.

Otherwise, the engine looks super-good for its 220k miles. Donor engine with the same mileage was worse inside when I took it apart last winter. Mine saw synthetic oil only every 5-7k miles since 80k and lots of coolant changes - coolant passages are clean, cylinders have hone, pistons have no play (besides the cylinder upper part, where the slots between cylinders are cut). Still have to clean the head thoroughly, check for warping and measure the cylinders.
      Damn!
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 145k mi

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
      Damn!
      No! With the exception of deposits, the engine is in super-cool condition! I was actually amazed yesterday with its low wear when I was taking it apart. A week ago I was thinking this is a piece of Swedish sh!t that died prematurely, but now I see a superb build quality and the signs of a sh!tty US gas and/or oil

Really, stay away from oils with high calcium content. I'm switching to low-ash Euro- or Diesel oil.
      05 XC70, 16 XC60 T5, 19 Tundra

So are you going to rebuild the head yourself?

I've thought about getting an R head and doing the same, but for my time and effort I'd send it to a shop that would properly clean it and cut seats. Also toss in a few shims between the cylinders while it's apart for that added peace of mind. I've been keeping an eye out for a head or a cheap engine I could pick from... Rs never seem to make it to the yard around here.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I'll be doing everything myself. The only reason I keep this car is it keeps me entertained and reminds that I still have to finish that Tim Gilles' book I already collected most of everything needed for the donor engine rebuild that I started doing out of curiosity. The only expensive bit missing is a valve seat cutter kit that is $200 delivered on ebay. I'm not in rush, we have other vehicles: Ford XC60 (aka Volvo Edge) and Tundra, for both adults permanently working from home.

Volvo modders, who push the PSI above sane limits, say that the shims do more harm than good. The sleeves have no way to compensate for thermal expansion and go up, lifting the head and causing a head gasket failure.

I need to make it reliable, otherwise no Canada trips in the blue Volvo... Luckily, engine looks good inside, besides the deposits.

First time I've heard that about shims, but ok. Reality is it's being driven untill it blows then it gets a new engine... hopefully 09 T5 from an S60, and it will be done at a shop.

Apparently we don't run these engines long enough. When these cars are totaled they are sent to Eastern Europe where they get insanely tuned and forced to live another long life

I've seen Rs get picked up out of salvage auctions by buyers in the Netherlands too. That's where all our P80 R went.
      1995 850 T-5R Estate. AW50-42LE. Cream Yellow/Graphite. 297k.
      1997 850R Estate. B5234T9/M66D. Bright Red/Graphite. 280k.
      2007 S60 T5. M66W. Black Sapphire/Arena. 141k.
      Instagram: Jared's Volvo Page

Past: |1997 855R. Bright Red/Light Beige. AW50-42LE. Totaled by wayward construction equipment. || 1996 854R. Black Stone/Graphite. AW50-42LE. Parts car || 1995 854 TURBO. Polar White/Tan. AW50-42LE. Parts car. |
      Dad: 1997 V70 T5 SE. AW50-42LE. Frost Green/Oak. 212k.Mom: 1999 S70 GLT Pewter/Oak. 101k. Past: 2004 V70 NA. AW55-50SN Ruby Red/Tan 269k. Sold to markj

Coming from Holland and living in Eastern Europe now: yes. They tune like crazy over here and maintain the sleeper look to fool the police (heavy fines on non standard equipment).

And in Holland these cars are very popular since there's very low tax on 15+ year cars (when used as company car).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Yes, 0-300 km/h in under 20 seconds is pretty much normal for old Volvo, officer! I didn't know I was going 300, because apparently the speedometer broke just today in this old car, and the Volvo has such a plush ride, that I didn't notice any harshness at speed".

Had a first today - another Volvo driver waved at me! He was in a silver XC70. My indie was telling me that there was someone in the area with some Volvo wagons. Maybe he's the one? It would take me probably 30+ minutes to cruise that neighborhood looking (or is that lurking?).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      2007 Volvo V70 2.5T - Mine
      2008 Nissan Titan SE 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Bed - Also Mine
      2012 Toyota Camry LE, 2.4 - Wife's
      2003 Mazda Protege5, 2.0 - Daughter #1
      2010 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2.5 - Daughter #2

It’s weird and yes, it’s lurking or even stalking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishBrick View Post
      Cross posting this issue to get more community input. Me7 engine and car:

Did a dw300c fuel pump because of an apparent lean out/knock issue thats arisen....was not the fuel delivery....
      Upper engine harness is a disaster (we stripped all the loom remnants and tape to inspect the wiring condition).

It seems like the coils may be freaking out under anything over a pound of boost?

Have pinging and knock, has to be incorrect ignition since the plugs and coils are fine (4k old at that). Started to not even idle. Just a total sh*tshow. Misfire/signal low on cylinder 3 was eventually thrown in vida. And then it wouldnt even stay running. So the loom was taken apart and checked, found to be just totally crap. Pulled all the wires off eachother, cleared all codes in vida and then it ran fine.....drove it home.

Anyone have any suggestions other than or in addition to replacing the coil harness?
      I have a low mile 04 C70 coil harness that a yard included with a coil set that I bought, pretty sure they cut it but if it could help LMK

I've wondered if any of the harness builders at work would be interested in a side job building some Volvo harnesses!

To take my door panels off, do I just press down on the little circle on the plastic rivets holding the door card in place?
      Do all doors have the internal structure necessary for installing midrange speakers, or do only some have it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2004 V70 T5M - “Ruby” - Ruby Red Metallic/Lt. Taupe Sport/Sirius wheels/330k mi

Search "Volvo speaker replacement" video on youtube - plenty of them.

Also you can avoid drilling housings out - leave them in place, just lift up the speaker a bit with a screwdriver to break the glue and rotate it to release. Well, drill one out, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Cut the plastic behind the small slot:

Lift it all around to break the glue:

Rotate CCW and pull up:

Sealant for the new speaker:

Sealed and and screwed:

Also did the twitters:

Pretty much, yes.
      Quote Originally Posted by SilverStreak177 View Post
      To take my door panels off, do I just press down on the little circle on the plastic rivets holding the door card in place?
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

Yeah there's 36 pages there and I can't find it. Thanks anyway I guess...
      2002 XC70 2.4T - "Orca"
      White/Sand(Beige)

Filled it up after 270 miles over the past week. Most miles I've put on in a week since March. 22 MPG, despite my heavier than normal right foot. Cooler weather and no AC on.

Drained and filled ATF. In a measuring jar saw, what I perceive to be clutch material. I’m not surprised. Started on PCV job. Stuck trying to remove the last bolt on air intake. How best to do this? I’ve watched FCP but thermostat housing is still in the way.

Also realised no longer have 17mm stubby (carefully placed in a safe spot).

My fuel rail front parts of O ring retainer pieces disintegrated on removal. Is it safe to place back?

Also, is dipstick tube really that hard to pull out? I did remove the top screw.

Needles to say all this is being down outside so time is limited.

Have you been able to loosen that last pesky bolt on air intake manifold? If I remember correctly, it doesn't come all the way out; you just need to give it enough turns and you should be able to lift off the intake manifold. When you're putting on the new manifold gasket, just make a slit on its corner so it will fit around that bolt. I used some swivel attachments to get at the bolt. Hope this helps.

I do know it just needs to be loose. Hard to get the socket on. Not sure how small 1/4” drive socket is but ...back at it today again. Thanks for the reply

What did you do to your wagon today?

No luck in getting to the last bolt.
      I mocked this set up instead.

Will work on connections during the week, hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliovlov View Post
      Drained and filled ATF. In a measuring jar saw, what I perceive to be clutch material. I’m not surprised. Started on PCV job. Stuck trying to remove the last bolt on air intake. How best to do this? I’ve watched FCP but thermostat housing is still in the way.

Also realised no longer have 17mm stubby (carefully placed in a safe spot).

My fuel rail front parts of O ring retainer pieces disintegrated on removal. Is it safe to place back?

Also, is dipstick tube really that hard to pull out? I did remove the top screw.

Needles to say all this is being down outside so time is limited.

I almost launched the dipstick in the atmosphere when I took it out... Two hand and pull like hell lol. I had some fuel injector piece disintegrate put back in no leaks 20k since, need to replace next time in there lol

04 XC70 2.5T AWD

26. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 233 of 233 FirstFirst ... 133 183 223 229 230 231 232 233