Crack in OTE pipe near top mount. Solution?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Crack in OTE pipe near top mount. Solution?

Hey guys,
      Looks like my car developed the dreaded crack near the top mount. Coincidentally, I'm seeing a CEL on my dash last few days that i'm going to try read tomorrow... Anyway... What are my options to fixing this? Starting from cost efficient please as we know sky is the limit...

thx in advance

Last edited by Papa_Kirlo; 04-10-2015 at 08:44 PM.
      06 V70R Sonicap
      surf/skate/snow/smile-mobile
      16 XC90 fam-mobile

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Papa_Kirlo View Post
      Hey guys,
      Looks like my car developed the dreaded crack near the top mount. Coincidentally, I'm seeing a CEL on my dash last few days that i'm going to try read tomorrow... Anyway... What are my options to fixing this? Starting from cost efficient please as we know sky is the limit...

thx in advance

welp, time to get the Snabb smurf blue Rambone!
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

I'd assume it needs a replacement, but you might be able to give it a good temporary patch with a hot glue gun if the melt plastic will adhere. Its sometimes a very effective, low budget way to weld plastic back together. Sure beats leaking till you get a new one.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I've fixed a lot of plastic stuff recently with a soldering iron; motorcycle side covers, headlights, portable lights and the like. I plan on trying to use zip tie clippings as welding rod next time, but I just cut up any plastic to make filler. ABS plastic melts with acetone too.
      Sent from my rotor-dial phone with the help of Cortana.
      1989 740 Turbo Plus, M46, red leather, and a few mods
      2004 S60R The Phoenix
      2000 V70R Sobek - Sold to my brother
      1976 245 Cthulhu - new project
      1995 940 Thor - something diesel awaits

There are a bunch of way you can try to rig it up, but at the end of the day you will be better off to just buy s hard pipe from one of the vendors to replace it.

After all the work to try to fix it, you will be mad when it breaks again and it will. With the crazy hot engine bay temps, vibrations, boost, and oil that that part has to stand up to it will be very hard to make a fix last.

If it doesn't bother you I have been driving with a small crack like that in mine for 2 years while I decide what to do with it.
      2004 V70R m/t Parting Out see classifieds https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...per-spare-tire
      2006 V70R Sonic Blue A/T new!
      1994 Nissan 300 zx twin turbo

Make one custom.

Costs under $200. Get it made of aluminum.. dissipates heat faster.
      '06 S60R | M66 | BSM / Nordkap | Premium / Convenience / Climate / Sport Body | AutoTech Tune | 3.5'' Catless Downpipe | 3'' Straight Piped Exhaust | Custom Charge Pipe | Welded Angle Gear | SPEC Clutch & Single Mass Flywheel | ViVA FMIC | Forge CBV | Snabb TIP | 'R' Kelly CAI | VST Strut Brace | KW V2 | H&R Spacers | 25mm Sway Bars | SS Brake lines | DRT Sport Rotors | 18'' VST Monoblocks | iPd 'R' Boost gauge | The list goes on. . .

Some have tried JB weld as a permanent fix but I am not sure if anyone has gotten it to actually last. That's what I would try first tho since I have a bunch of tubes laying around.

Next I would probably also dabble in plastic welding since I have a soldering iron although I have never attempted before. Replacing the pipe would be my last option but I prefer to try and fix things myself before buying a new shiny one. I can also be cheap.
      2006 Volvo S60R GT - World Rally Blue w/ Black Wheels - Nordkap
      Performance Snabb: Intake pipe | IPD: AMS | VIVA: Upgraded CBV | CNT: Downpipe

Cosmetic Custom : Headlights Part 2 | Taillights | Plasti dip | Front grill

1995 Volvo 850 Turbo - White w/ Peg Reps - Beige

Quote Originally Posted by Papa_Kirlo View Post
      Hey guys,

thx in advance

I have my OEM OTE pipe that is in perfect shape. Does your's include the vband clamp? My 05 did. Not sure if it's the same on 06. I also have the upgraded Samco, silicone intercooler hoses for it. I replaced it with the Snabb ultimate intercooler kit last year. Let me know. Chris
      05 SR 6M Sport Ti/Atacama 18 inch pegs -purc 4/1/11... OBX turbo back and K&N, Snabb FMIC and intake pipe,Ipd upper/lower, IPD strut tower conv .

Former Advertiser Kristian@Snabb's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by CGally View Post
      I have my OEM OTE pipe that is in perfect shape. Does your's include the vband clamp? My 05 did. Not sure if it's the same on 06. I also have the upgraded Samco, silicone intercooler hoses for it. I replaced it with the Snabb ultimate intercooler kit last year. Let me know. Chris
      Hi We have these in stock.

http://snabb.us/P2-Upper-Charge-Air-Pipe_p_162.html

Or I have an 04-05 Stock upper charge pipe that's in good condition that I could sell you used. Email me if you're interested. [email protected]

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements