Koni FSD/Eibach Springs on D4 AWD R Design - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      What about bilstein? I would do a bilstein B12 kit. Or go with the Sachs. They are superior over kyb
      15 Volvo XC60 R-Design Platinum Pearl White Metallic, POLESTAR EXHAUST TDI Tuning Box, POLESTAR TUNED , IPD Rear Sway Bar and links, IPD POLY TORQUE ROD Koni FSD's, Eibach Loweing Springs, Powerflex Torque Bushing, Bloxsport wheel spacers
      Sold: 2008 Volvo C30 2.0 Java/Cosmic White, Manual, Elevate Tune, Weird OEM Mood Lighting Kit, EST Catback Exhaust, Koni STR.T, H&R Springs, Injen Intake, 19' BBS SR Wheels, Ion Yellow Fogs,
      SoldL 2006 Volvo V70R, Magic Blue, Stock

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks, however I have just downloaded the Heico Sportiv Montageanleitung, Installation instructions, Bezeichnung / Part e.motion Montagekit / e.motion kit H2008L4 from the Viva Website so will now know what to look for when I get a chance.

Prepare to coin up $4k if you want the Heico. e.motion.

I have the Heico Suspension in my XC60 which used Bilstein Shocks.
      I have recently removed the Bilsteins for the OEM R design shocks, but kept the Heico springs, as theres now a little tacker riding in the back seat. I have reverted back to a softer ride.
      As for XC60 / S60 compatibility, you'd need to look into that. Im not against selling them off.
      02 XC70 R PROJECT TERRÄNGKÖRNING LANDVAGN
      04 V70R PROJECT LANDBARGE
      11 XC60 R-DESIGN PROJECT HEICO

So everyone is unanimous on the Koni FSD? Why did you suppose R Design suspension sucks so bad? It's not like Volvo couldn't have gotten a deal going straight to Koni and Eibach and doing it right...
      2009 Hilton Stage 2 C70 M66 Passion Red/Graphite/Aluminum - Quaife LSD installed! Has anyone else noticed gear whir in 3rd and 4th? Or a "clunk" from the SPEC SMF and R clutch (or front LCA poly bushings?) at startup?
      2011 XC60 3.2L Barents Blue/Anthracite/Aluminum - rings/pistons at 35k, new engine at 50k, seems no oil loss yet at 100k.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dbphillips View Post
      So everyone is unanimous on the Koni FSD? Why did you suppose R Design suspension sucks so bad? It's not like Volvo couldn't have gotten a deal going straight to Koni and Eibach and doing it right...
      I have the Koni FSD Eibachs setup. Spring rate is far better with the eibachs. I would go with the bilsteins though paired with the eibachs. The FSD's are ok, but needs a firmer strut in the front.
      15 Volvo XC60 R-Design Platinum Pearl White Metallic, POLESTAR EXHAUST TDI Tuning Box, POLESTAR TUNED , IPD Rear Sway Bar and links, IPD POLY TORQUE ROD Koni FSD's, Eibach Loweing Springs, Powerflex Torque Bushing, Bloxsport wheel spacers
      Sold: 2008 Volvo C30 2.0 Java/Cosmic White, Manual, Elevate Tune, Weird OEM Mood Lighting Kit, EST Catback Exhaust, Koni STR.T, H&R Springs, Injen Intake, 19' BBS SR Wheels, Ion Yellow Fogs,
      SoldL 2006 Volvo V70R, Magic Blue, Stock

Put Koni Special Active struts and shocks on the other day and am very impressed with the improved ride over the OEM RD dampers. Handling is slightly less crisp but perhaps even better balanced front to rear.

As for the negative, as mentioned above changing the front struts is a major PITA. I'm a mechanical engineer and have been wrenching on cars for 50 years now yet it still took me three days to get the fronts replaced, all because of lower ball joints that you can't get a tool onto and lower control arms that absolutely won't let you drop them the last 2" needed to get past the hub.

I found this video mostly helpful except for differences in the lower ball joint and control arm bits which were completely different on my XC60.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyOnZl9yA1k&t=342s

Other tips include;
      -You can spread he top strut pinch bolt by either inserting a 1/4" drive male socket and rotating 45 degrees or threading the bolt in from the opposite side with a shim in the gap. The latter doesn't work on the bottom as the threaded insert there just backs out.

-A 2" tie-down strap anchored to the opposite side of the undercarriage will get the lower control arm down most of the way. Take some 3/16" steel cable and loop it through the opposite side for the anchor point. In my case I had to tighten the strap tighter that I thought to even get it to within 2" clearance.

-Final movement was by looping another bit of cable around the lower control are just above the ball joint and pushing down on it with a 5' cheater bar. Just be careful to not tear the BJ boot.

-I had no luck compressing the strut in place to create the needed clearance despite several tries.

-
      Volvo: 2015.5 XC60 RD Plat. arrest-me red w/ Climate, BLIS & OEM trailer hitch. Koni Special Active struts/shocks, IPD skid plate & rear sway bar
      Others: 2019 Merc AMG E53 Cpe, 1988 Merc 560SL, 1969 MGB GT, 1957 MG ZB Magnette, 1953 MG TD & 1935 Ford 5W Dlx Cpe

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3