Visors Won't Stay Forward.
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Question Visors Won't Stay Forward.

Both visors of our XC60 will not stay above the level of the bottom of the rear view mirror, about 3-4" away from the windshield and annoyingly too low for me, although my shorter wife is OK with it. If you push it forward, it just springs back. At the 10K service, the dealer said they couldn't find anything wrong. Is this normal behavior..do they all do it?
      2015 XC60 DRIVE-E T6, Platinum, Heated F. Seats, Crystal White Met, Xenon, Tech, BLIS
      Custom: Valentine mount/City Safety IR filter, Dog Seat, Superchager ind., REAL dipstick
      2002 Acura RSX Type-S 6 speed
      2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

No issues in our XC60.... the visor stays put in any position.
      2019 XC40 RD P* & 2013 XC60 T6 P* / 2011 S60 T6 (Traded In)

I think you have a problem. The visors in both of our vehicles stay in whatever position you put them in.
      2016 XC60 T5 Seashell Metallic, Platinum, IPD Anti-Sway Bar
      2011 XC60 R Design Passion Red; IPD Anti-Sway Bar; Polestar Tune

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I'm in the ours work perfectly category!
      2015 - XC60 T6 AWD Premium+ - Climate pkg, Bi-xenon, Blis, P* tune, Crystal White, P* performance parts door and rear hatch mouldings.

No issues with mine, either, though my XC60 doesn't have its first 1000 miles yet, admittedly.
      SpaceDust

Quote Originally Posted by TonyJag View Post
      Both visors of our XC60 will not stay above the level of the bottom of the rear view mirror, about 3-4" away from the windshield and annoyingly too low for me, although my shorter wife is OK with it. If you push it forward, it just springs back. At the 10K service, the dealer said they couldn't find anything wrong. Is this normal behavior..do they all do it?
      If the visor is hanging down 3-4 inches and the dealer says "they couldn't find anything wrong", I'd have the service advisor sit in the car while I showed him/her what the issues was.
      Hers - 2018 XC60 T6 Inscription via OSD His - 2016 MB C300 Sport 4matic
      Just for fun - 2001 Honda S2000 - also hers

Thanks to all who replied. I will definitely bring it back to the dealer before our next long trip.
      2015 XC60 DRIVE-E T6, Platinum, Heated F. Seats, Crystal White Met, Xenon, Tech, BLIS
      Custom: Valentine mount/City Safety IR filter, Dog Seat, Superchager ind., REAL dipstick

and don't forget to ask the service advisor to try the visors in every other XC60 on the lot. This is not normal at all.
      The current: 2019 XC40 T5 AWD Inscription/Crystal White/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & Front Seats, 19" wheels
      2018 XC60, OSD T5 AWD Inscription/Denim Blue/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & F/R seats.

The old: 2001 S60 - totaled, 2003 XC90, 2004 S80, 2005 TSX, 2006 S60, 2009 V70, 2010 S80 - totaled, 2012 C30 T5 OSD-sold but kept it in the family, 2012 XC60 Caspian Blue/Beige, 2015 Hyundai Genesis.

Sheesh, can't believe I missed this. YES, ours has the same problem but as I don't drive it that often it isn't a huge deal for me. This past weekend, I drove it 500 miles to Austin and back...dang things just flop down. I wonder if there is a tension adjustment behind the mount (I doubt it though).
      2012 XC60 R-Design - Passion Red / Off-black/Cream Accents, Platinum, Polestar, & Climate
      2013 Tesla Model S P85+ - Multicoat Red / Black

After the service manager went to another XC60 in which the visor stayed up, they ordered new visors then replaced them both. They worked fine for perhaps a week, then reverted to not staying up. Here is as high as it will stay, which is OK for my wife, but too low for me:
      [IMG]Visor1 by Tony Jagodnik, on Flickr[/IMG]
      I think there is an inherent problem. I will let the dealer know, but in the mean time, cobbled together a solution that works. The thumbscrew allows you to adjust the height. It doesn't decrease forward visibility because the black cover over the City Safety lasers, camera, rain detector, etc. already blocks it.
      [IMG]Visor2 by Tony Jagodnik, on Flickr[/IMG]
      It hooks onto the edge of the headliner:
      [IMG]Visor3 by Tony Jagodnik, on Flickr[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by cab View Post
      Sheesh, can't believe I missed this. YES, ours has the same problem but as I don't drive it that often it isn't a huge deal for me. This past weekend, I drove it 500 miles to Austin and back...dang things just flop down. I wonder if there is a tension adjustment behind the mount (I doubt it though).
      I recall 50's American cars with a screwdriver-adjustable friction setting, but I fear that went the way of real dipsticks long ago, so you are right to doubt it. Our dealer replaced ours under warranty, but they still don't stay up..see recent post.
      Last edited by TonyJag; 08-26-2015 at 07:54 AM.

My wife's 2012 XC60 does not have this issue. However, my 2008 Honda Civic had both visors split due to the Texas heat. As a result of the splitting, the visors go to the down position (will not stay up either pushed to the windshield or up when pushed to the roof). Had to drill a couple holes in each and zip tie them to keep them from splitting (this was after Honda replaced the visors once...but the car is now out of warranty).
      2012 XC60 3.2 FWD Ice White

Tony , does the visor get close enough to the headliner that a little piece of double-sided velcro tape could be used to hold it up there, but still allow it to be pulled down? Yes, I could go outside and check, but as it turns out...I am lazy!
      2012 XC60 R-Design - Passion Red / Off-black/Cream Accents, Platinum, Polestar, & Climate

Good idea. I think it is still about an inch or 2 away, so a small block of wood (or whatever) would be needed as a spacer. My experience with double sided velcro is that eventually the double sided adhesive becomes weaker than the velcro and it detaches . The hot sun won't help. It's a shame Volvo can't build it right.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by TonyJag; 08-26-2015 at 07:53 AM.

Agreed on the velcro adhesive so then...maybe a small magnet! Would still need that spacer, but wouldn't grip as hard as velcro maybe.

GOOD IDEA. A hi strength magnet OR 2, with a steel plate double stickied to the visor should do it. I would begin with a suction cup to the windshield.

The mechanical device described in post # 10 worked, but my wife hates it. So I revised it to use magnets as suggested by cab. It fastens to the windshield using a suction cup and is still adjustable.. First, i tried a steel plate stuck to the top of the visor with double sided adhesive tape, but that tended to stretch the vinyl. So I bent a clip from .02" steel, as shown below.
      [IMG]magvisor2 by Tony Jagodnik, on Flickr[/IMG]
      [IMG]magvisor3 by Tony Jagodnik, on Flickr[/IMG]
      The 3 magnets are rare-earth from Harbor Freight, stuck to the aluminum bracket with 3M high-strength auto trim 2-sided tape. It does not appear to affect the compass.

OMG. Rube Goldberg comes to mind

Perhaps, but it solves the problem. What solution would you recommend? I could have Volvo replace the visors again, but wouldn't expect any better results. It's a shame they can't build them right anymore.

So, the visor does touche the headliner when all the way up...you could screw in a small plate to the headliner and screw in a magnet to the visor (note: paint them cream color first)...the downside is that this mod isn't reversible....hmmm, you could place the magnet UNDER the headliner, but it would have to be pretty strong.

So, the visor does touche the headliner when all the way up...you could screw in a small plate to the headliner and screw in a magnet to the visor (note: paint them cream color first)...the downside is that this mod isn't reversible....hmmm, you could place the magnet UNDER the headliner, but it would have to be pretty strong.
      Ours always worked fine when all the way up, staying against the headliner. The problem is when moving it forward against the windshield. I wanted to avoid any cutting or drilling that would void the warranty. This mod also leaves enough room to get your fingers in there to work the home link buttons, although you can't see them (another gripe list item).

I'd buy a nice pair of sunglasses. I've never had the need to keep the visor in that position but to each his/her own. How do you reach the integrated garage door opener buttons?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey54 View Post
      I'd buy a nice pair of sunglasses. I've never had the need to keep the visor in that position but to each his/her own. How do you reach the integrated garage door opener buttons?
      It is mainly a problem when approaching overhead traffic lights or signs. It of course depends on how tall you are and your seat position; it does not bother my wife. As i just wrote, "This mod also leaves enough room to get your fingers in there to work the home link buttons, although you can't see them (another gripe list item)." There is still about 2" between the top of the visor and the windshield.

Ours always worked fine when all the way up, staying against the headliner. The problem is when moving it forward against the windshield. I wanted to avoid any cutting or drilling that would void the warranty. This mod also leaves enough room to get your fingers in there to work the home link buttons, although you can't see them (another gripe list item).
      I was actually referring to moving it forward toward the windshield. If you look at the pic below, you will see that when you push it forward, the majority of the visor is still under the headliner. You could place a magnet on the visor and the headliner (so they contact when you push it up). However, to revise my idea a bit, could actually place a strong magnet under the headliner and one "under" the visor right where my finger is (to avoid the vinyl "pull"). The magnets, in this case would have to be strong enough to pull through both the headliner and visor though so perhaps not practical!

I have no issues with this on.my xc60 and it is 7 years old with 140kkm on the odometer. This is not how it is suppose to be.
      --> Terra Bronze XC60 T6 AWD P* and a Raw Copper V40CC D2<--

Quote Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
      I have no issues with this on.my xc60 and it is 7 years old with 140kkm on the odometer. This is not how it is suppose to be.
      It's good to know that Volvo once knew how to build them properly. Does yours have vanity mirror lighting and home-link buttons? Perhaps our problem is related to the wires that need to twist with visor angle?

Smile

I was actually referring to moving it forward toward the windshield. If you look at the pic below, you will see that when you push it forward, the majority of the visor is still under the headliner. You could place a magnet on the visor and the headliner (so they contact when you push it up). However, to revise my idea a bit, could actually place a strong magnet under the headliner and one "under" the visor right where my finger is (to avoid the vinyl "pull"). The magnets, in this case would have to be strong enough to pull through both the headliner and visor though so perhaps not practical!
      It looks like you foresee the problems with that solution. Also, there is less leverage than at the edge. The solution pictured in post #17 works well and gives a positive snap when you push it up. And it is all removable, leaving no scars when Volvo solves the problem and replaces them again. Thanks for suggesting velcro, which led to magnets. I also envisioned a more elegant solution involving an adjustable friction clamp where the shaft enters the visor, like some older cars.

It looks like you foresee the problems with that solution. Also, there is less leverage than at the edge. The solution pictured in post #17 works well and gives a positive snap when you push it up. And it is all removable, leaving no scars when Volvo solves the problem and replaces them again. Thanks for suggesting velcro, which led to magnets. I also envisioned a more elegant solution involving an adjustable friction clamp where the shaft enters the visor, like some older cars.
      Agreed...more trouble than it is likely worth. Honestly, the only thing I might do additionally on your solution is to shoot the bracket on the visor itself with a quick coat of cream colored paint to make it disappear a tad more...other than that, simple, and effective!

Thanks for the suggestion to paint it. I used some vinyl tape close to the right color that does the job for now.

As an aside on this, we had my wife's XC60 in the shop a few weeks back and I had them put new visors on (under warranty) since the old ones would not stay forward. The new ones are still working AND are not creaky like the old ones were every time I move them (which I always hated but assumed was simply the way they were). Will see if they stay that way. Our warranty is up in about 90 days so I'm trying to make sure I get every known item addressed at this point.

The dealer replaced our visors again, still under warranty, but this time there was a new part number, so they have likely corrected the problem. Here are the new part numbers:
      39824066-3
      39816758-5
      I don't know which is the left visor, which has the homelink transmitter, but that needed to be re-set up after the dealer did the repair.
      They work fine so far, so I have retired the magnetic holder.

BTW, the double-stick tape didn't work very long to hold the magnets, so I had to drill holes in a 1/8" aluminum plate, then force-fit them. That worked fine until I retired it. It gave a nice re-assuring click when engaged and did not upset the compass.

34. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements