4x4 Lifted XC70 Build
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

4x4 Lifted XC70 Build

Finally getting around to posting my lifted XC70 build. My mechanic Dave Vallaincourt and I**started work on this at the beginning of my sophomore year in college this year.
      The lift is fully custom (I didn't use the badswede lift kit) and we used xc90 coils to gain the necessary stiffness and height. The wheels ares spaced out from the body 1.25". I'm running 31" BFG rugged terrain tires and cut out the internal fender guards to fit the larger wheel size.
      Also added 30,000 lumen LED bar on the roof, and a custom TIG welded brush guard with Hella 500ff lights.

Thoughts, suggestions anyone? I'm thinking the ipd skid plate and possibly the addition of some side step bars.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

this is incredibly bad a**.

I'd definitely do a skid plate. Side step bars... meh. Maybe some custom fab skid plates for rear suspension/ gas tank and... a snorkel?

I'd agree with the bad a** comment. Not really many other descriptions really capture my thoughts more poignantly. Not that it changes my opinion one way or the other, but is this a functional build or a cosmetic build? i.e. do you legitimately take this thing off-road, or just want it to look fully off-road capable?
      Current: 2003 V70 T5 M56 // Mystic Silver/Charcoal // 162K miles // Koni FSD + Eibachs // Snabb intake + IPD silicone turbo hoses // Copper R Brembos // 18" Pegs // OEM bi-xenons // '05 side mirrors // 18/35 tint // jewel tails // black anodized S80 DIM // R steering wheel // '05 console w/ T5M spaceball // mesh grill with custom ironmark badge 2004 XC70 bone stock for now…
      Previous: 2001 V70 T5M (Nautic/Charcoal) // 1999 V70 NA M56 (Blue-Green Metallic/Charcoal) // 2004 V70R M66 (Titanium/Nordkap) // 1992 244 M47 (Silver/Navy…and the newest, nicest car I'll ever own. Sold on BaT. )

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Looks great, like the tire match for the ride height, but it's missing some mud . Man, that's one bad ass dent on the rear door.
      I'd lose the LED light bar, looks too much like a cop car.
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 145k mi

man out of all the builds i've seen on swedespeed, this one i envy the most.
      incredible vehicle.
      i'd also like to know though, is this tacticool or actually a functional build?
      and if this is functional, pls send some videos of this beast in action.
      2004 S80 2.9
      2007 XC90 V8 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by dwdean View Post
      i'd also like to know though, is this tacticool or actually a functional build?
      and if this is functional, pls send some videos of this beast in action.
      The build is fully functional. I did some wheeling over the past winter up here in Vermont ( 3 bent control arms, and a new radiator assembly later ) , and i'll post some summer trails shots in the next few weeks. The rig handles surprisingly well off road with plenty of power. Limited Slip Diffs would be nice but that could be a future conversion depending on if I could figure it out technically.

Did you keep the xc70 dampeners or swap those out with the Xc90? I'm also wondering if the spring rates are different for a xc90 equipped with the v8 vs other power plants.

yeah, by all means, share the full specs of your lifting build.
      i'm sure lots of folks would like to do the same with their project cars.
      (2007 XC90 V8 Sport AWD -- 10X kmiles)
      (2004 XC90 2.5T AWD -- 20X kmiles)
      (2001 V70 T5M FWD -- 17X kmiles)

I need more details on this build.

So sexy.

What size is the lift?

Quote Originally Posted by Amneme1 View Post
      Did you keep the xc70 dampeners or swap those out with the Xc90? I'm also wondering if the spring rates are different for a xc90 equipped with the v8 vs other power plants.
      Amneme1,
      I kept the xc70 Struts, just with 90 coils!
      -Charlie

All,
      Sorry I've been out of touch, its been a busy couple of weeks with Finals and school and so on. The lift is 3" in the front and around 4" in the back, Also the 31" tires help As far as the build, we followed pIPD's Team Ken build log HERE: http://www.ipdusa.com/blogs/286/team-ken
      Thanks as well for all the thoughts and suggestions – I'm getting ready to sell this rig and perhaps hop into something a little more sporty for the summer, perhaps a 60r. Anyhow, if anyone knows someone in New England looking for a sweet ride the add is here: http://burlington.craigslist.org/cto/5028332257.html
      I'll also update here if i do any upgrades before the sale (thinking of an OD Green paint job!)
      Cheers!

Love the car! Thats exactly what I want to do after I mess around with my V70M. GLWS and I wish I could take it off you hands.
      Current: 1998 S70 GLT Pewter/Black (Stock for now)
      Past: 2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman R55 Getrag 6 Speed (Stock) 1988 745T 247k (200ish whp butt dyno proven, MBC, BC coils, custom exhaust and intake) Daily/Autox Car 2002 V70 Base N/A M56 187k (A lot of poly, R clutch and single mass flywheel, BC coils, Ben McNally Special Stage 1 NA ported head, oversize intake valves, Enem Y21 cams, 2.5" straight pipe) 1997 855 T5 (850R ECU, H&R Lowering springs, straight pipe, Catless DP)
      IG: psychocross_v70

So instead of bad swede lift, you used just xc90 coils?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Using Tapatalk

I'm curious if the xc90 dampeners will be a direct bolt on and if they have bumpstops, which vehicle bumpstops were used. I have 90K on my 06 and this entices me to do this. The badswede kit is cool, but if the lift can be done relatively inexpensive I would do it.

This is fantastic, looks perfect.
      And here I am looking for xc70 Springs to lift my p2 awd s60 a bit....
      The classic cruiser, 1972 164E, Alpine Blue Metallic.
      The new daily, 2011 XC60 T6 AWD, Terra Bronze Metallic.

Previous:
      2009 S60 2.5T AWD, Ice White, Shark Stage 1
      2001 S60 fwd

For the most current photos of the day, find me on Instagram

correct!

Quote Originally Posted by kingsley.wilberforce View Post
      So instead of bad swede lift, you used just xc90 coils?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Correct!

Quote Originally Posted by Amneme1 View Post
      I'm curious if the xc90 dampeners will be a direct bolt on and if they have bumpstops, which vehicle bumpstops were used. I have 90K on my 06 and this entices me to do this. The badswede kit is cool, but if the lift can be done relatively inexpensive I would do it.
      You can actually just use the stock xc70 struts with xc90 coils if you want to do it somewhat inexpensively. The xc90 coils will essentially just extend the xc70 strut to its maximum length!

Doesn't extending the strut blow them up because then the valving is off? Or is that only when lowering?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Past: 2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman R55 Getrag 6 Speed (Stock) 1988 745T 247k (200ish whp butt dyno proven, MBC, BC coils, custom exhaust and intake) Daily/Autox Car 2002 V70 Base N/A M56 187k (A lot of poly, R clutch and single mass flywheel, BC coils, Ben McNally Special Stage 1 NA ported head, oversize intake valves, Enem Y21 cams, 2.5" straight pipe) 1997 855 T5 (850R ECU, H&R Lowering springs, straight pipe, Catless DP)

I've lowered the price and will be listing in the for sale section as well. Here's the link: http://burlington.craigslist.org/cto/5114525911.html
      I'm asking $5300 but open to offers!
      -Charlie

I wish I had the money for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, what you said!
      If he can stick xc90 coils in a xc70, why can't we put xc70 coils in a S60 AWD???
      I just need the fronts, the back is high enough. Next time Pick-n-Pull has a wrecked xc70, I'm going to pull the coils and try it.

Quote Originally Posted by spiked60 View Post
      This is fantastic, looks perfect.
      And here I am looking for xc70 Springs to lift my p2 awd s60 a bit....

Quote Originally Posted by rudsaki View Post
      Yeah, what you said!
      If he can stick xc90 coils in a xc70, why can't we put xc70 coils in a S60 AWD???
      I just need the fronts, the back is high enough. Next time Pick-n-Pull has a wrecked xc70, I'm going to pull the coils and try it.
      Yep, there's a different thread I started, check it out for a little more info, someone needs to try it
      (I will if finances play nice)
      The classic cruiser, 1972 164E, Alpine Blue Metallic.
      The new daily, 2011 XC60 T6 AWD, Terra Bronze Metallic.

Previous:
      2009 S60 2.5T AWD, Ice White, Shark Stage 1
      2001 S60 fwd

For the most current photos of the day, find me on Instagram

Man, that's the perfect XC70!
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Difference between coils XC70 and XC90

Quote Originally Posted by charlesdkahn View Post
      You can actually just use the stock xc70 struts with xc90 coils if you want to do it somewhat inexpensively. The xc90 coils will essentially just extend the xc70 strut to its maximum length!
      Hello Charlesdkan.

Please what reference did you order for coils xc90, because there is something i don't understand ! ?

Front coil length for XC70 is 493mm and 404mm for XC90 ! ( sachs catalog)
      Rear coil length for XC70 is 382mm and 328mm for XC90 ! (sachs catalog)

So coils from XC90 seems shorter than XC70 , how it's possible ti lift the car ?

Thanks for your help

Jef43 (France)

op hasn't logged in in 5 months and he was selling the car. So I wouldn't get your hopes up for an answer

Last Activity 12-19-2015 10:32 AM

Quote Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
      op hasn't logged in in 5 months and he was selling the car. So I wouldn't get your hopes up for an answer

Last Activity 12-19-2015 10:32 AM
      Yup.

He sold it to some dude who then popped up in my build thread and later elsewhere with a few problems of different sorts related to axles and wheel bearings if I recall correctly.
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

well you'll recall that one of my first posts here was a diatribe about CV joints and operating them close to their maximum angles....

they die. Quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
      well you'll recall that one of my first posts here was a diatribe about CV joints and operating them close to their maximum angles....

they die. Quickly.
      I remember. This is why everyone who's running the bad swede lift has had to put new axles in. Which in turn is why I have stalled for 6mos+ on installing mine.

NSJames are you familiar with this build?

http://www.ipdusa.com/blogs/286/team-ken

It's easily the best lifted XC to date and I cited it as inspiration early in my build thread, though I'm not sure if you'd joined up at that point.

Tim has been running fine for 50k+ (spoke with IPD Ken recently regarding this) but he put new OEM axle in straight away.
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

Yeah so I am going to call BS on this seeing as I just tryed and there is no way the springs from a xc90 will work

Xc70 vs xc90

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

35. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements