2010 XC60 Engine Cooling Fans Not Working Properly
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2010 XC60 Engine Cooling Fans Not Working Properly

During normal operation, the electric fans behind the radiator are not coming on. If not moving, the lack of air flow causes the air conditioning to not work properly and a warning for high engine temp comes up on the dash.

However, when the car is turned off (and the engine is warm), the electric fans come on for a while.

Does anyone have an idea on what is going on?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Low coolant, as like in my s40. The fan would work just fine, but I noticed it would run hard after being parked. The car would try and cool it self with the fan to compensate for low coolant.

That was the first thing that I checked - coolant level was good. By the way, this is a T6 (forgot to mention that before).

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Same issue

Quote Originally Posted by PLB540 View Post
      That was the first thing that I checked - coolant level was good. By the way, this is a T6 (forgot to mention that before).
      I have the exact same issue on my MY 2011 XC60 T6. Fans don't run properly when the car is running and it ends up over heating, then when I turn it off the fans run high for several minutes to cool down the car. Did you ever figure out what was causing this issue on your car?

Thanks!

This is a common problem had a similar issues with my XC90 after I first got it. Had to replace the fans for $380 and that fixed the problem.

KC

Quote Originally Posted by XC90_B8444S View Post
      This is a common problem had a similar issues with my XC90 after I first got it. Had to replace the fans for $380 and that fixed the problem.

KC
      Yeah, I thought the same so I picked up a new fan assembly from Volvo yesterday (which included the fan control module). Unfortunately I get the exact same behavior. Fans run when I first crank the car from a cold engine, then stop after about 60 seconds. I used an OBD-II reader to watch engine temp after a while it got up to 240F and the engine cooling fans were not on. Then as soon as I turn off the engine the fans turn on to 100% full speed and run for 3 to 5 minutes. This one is really confusing me...

Could it be a bad thermostat? Have you checked the temp of the rad while running?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
      "An Automobile Enthusiast with a Dealer License"
      Current Daily Driver Stable:

2015 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD
      2012 Volvo S60 T6 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by MacV50 View Post
      Could it be a bad thermostat? Have you checked the temp of the rad while running?

Actually, my first guess was the thermostat and coolant temp sensor, so I replaced them (as a unit) and did a coolant flush. That didn't change the symptoms. So my next attempt was the engine cooling fan control module, and that didn't change anything either.

I dropped by the Volvo dealer yesterday and asked them for suggestions. One guy said it might be that my water pump is not engaging properly. Apparently on the T6 engine there's a spring/clutch thing that makes the water pump engage. He said if it's not circulating coolant properly it could make the fans behave oddly. I'm not sure I buy that though. But something's not telling the fans to run when the engine temp is high.

I'll do another test today where I get the engine warm then test the temp of the radiator with a infrared thermometer. Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by MacV50 View Post

Used my reader to watch temp and checked radiator with infrared thermometer, both were within 2 degrees F.

Started watching A/C pressure and whether or not the engine cooling fan was running. Figured out that if I start up my A/C when it's pressure is around 180psi (and no engine cooling fan running) the pressure starts rising quickly. When it hits 275psi (after less than a minute) the engine cooling fan turns on. It runs until the A/C pressure drops to 245psi then the fan turns off. A/C pressure then quickly jumps to near 450psi and the compressor clutch disengages and the engine cooling fan never turns on again. Eventually my engine temp climbs to 240F and I use my OBD-II computer to force the engine cooling fan to turn on to get temps back down to about 190F and the A/C pressure back to around 180psi. (I could just drive around with my computer connected up, forcing my fan to run if I have the A/C on, but that's no long-term solution.)

I feel like there must be something in the A/C system that's not allowing the engine cooling fan to turn back on, after it's been turned off by the A/C hitting 245psi. Anyone know what controls that?

Thank you!!

Fixed it!

Finally figured out that the new fan unit I bought was faulty. A 2nd, new fan unit fixed my issue. I've learned to not always trust new parts!

Awaiting Approval

Help

Quote Originally Posted by elchingon2002 View Post
      Finally figured out that the new fan unit I bought was faulty. A 2nd, new fan unit fixed my issue. I've learned to not always trust new parts!
      Hello, I wanted to ask, did you replace the whole fan unit? or the control module only or what exactly?

Awaiting Approval
      Late to the game here, but I had this issue for about two months now. I bought a new cooling fan control module off ebay for 28 bucks and it has fixed my issues. Fans would sometimes work and car would get hot and ac wouldn't work. Back to normal now.

Same! Worked flawlessly after. My fan stayed on and killed the battery beforehand

Quote Originally Posted by ju015dd View Post
      Late to the game here, but I had this issue for about two months now. I bought a new cooling fan control module off ebay for 28 bucks and it has fixed my issues. Fans would sometimes work and car would get hot and ac wouldn't work. Back to normal now.

Out through top or down through bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by elchingon2002 View Post
      Hello there. Same issue on my wife's 2010 XC60. Quick question...when you pulled that shroud assembly did you come out the top with it or down through the bottom?*

I've moved as many lines out of the way as I can but it doesn't want to wiggle out.* If you came out the top did you have to pull the upper radiator hose?* I haven't tried it yet but I think that's my next step.* Through the bottom also looks like a tight squeeze even if you pull down what looks like the radiator support bar...at which point the radiator might come down too!* ;-)**

Thanks in advance!!
      Evan

Hi,

I found something very similar to my problem on this thread so I hope someone could give me some idea too. Thanks in advance.

I've a 2015.5 Volvo s60 T5 Premier Turbo. I drive Uber/Lyft with my car. And I've 110k mile on it. Last month when I was working, I had 3 people in the car, on a ramp, A/C is on, the temp gauge went up and I saw an alert on the dashboard "high engine temp lower speed". I was actually waiting on red light. When I started moving the gauge went down but anytime I stopped, the gauge went up again. I took it to a dealership paid $200 and they told me it is bad thermostat and if it doesn't go back to normal after replacing it, fan needs to be replaced because there is a trouble code for it. Dealership told me that I need transmission flush, coolant flush, oil change and thermostat replacement which will cost $2.000. So I took it to an independent Volvo service and get all of them done (except oil change) for $1.200. After about 2 weeks, same problem occured again. I took it in, and my last mechanic told me that it might be the water pump. So we replaced it. $1.500! Also $360 for diagnosis. The very same day I picked up my car, it overheated again. I took it back and the mechanic told me that 1) Radiator works fine 2) Thermostat and water pump new 3) I insisted on and he told me he ran tests for head gasket and it is fine 4) He said he checked the fan (in Volvo Vida I suppose) and fan is working. He said "maybe engine is not overheating, maybe it is normal for this car to run hot sometimes!!!!!, finally maybe I need to replace the ECM (Engine Control Module)!!!! I got furious! I had no money left to invest in this car. They took my car in again for a week and they told me at the end that they couldn't have the car overheat, they are looking for a ghost!!! I picked it up, started working and it overheated in the 2nd hour!!! the temp goes down immediately when I turn on the heater and blow the air out or when I start moving (20-30 MPH). But the last time I stopped, open the hood (heater blowing hot so that it doesnt overheats) and I saw the fan is not working! I turned on the A/C, turned it off, I turned on the heater, turned it off again. I tried everything to get the fan on but it didn't come on! I got in the car and started driving immediately so that it doesn't ver heat. I went home and turned off the engine when the temp gauge was in the middle. But the funny thing is this is intermittent problem. For 1 hour, everything works perfectly, I hear the fan running. But after a while, it starts to overheat when I am on a red light, or simply not moving, after I go up a hill, more than ! person is in the car and the A/C is on! When things go back to normal, I try to overheat it, I put on sport mode and drive! NO overheating! Fan works! I already told my mechanic to change the fan module, not the entire fan assembly! I think he said he is gonna check first the engine temperature sensor, then replace the fan module! I already paid $3.500 for this car's cooling system problem. I cannot pay anymore! I appreciate any answer!

Hey do yourself a favor and call Erie Vovo for a radiator fan module. It was like 30bucks maybe? My fan stayed on and killed the battery. I had to physically pull the power from the battery to keep the fan from draining the car. Volvo wanted 900 for a fan. I replaced the fan module with a used one from Erie and that fixed it! It's most likely your fan module. Volvo wont just replace that. They will charge you for a full assembly. You dont even need to remove the assembly to replace it.
      15 Volvo XC60 R-Design Platinum Pearl White Metallic, POLESTAR EXHAUST TDI Tuning Box, POLESTAR TUNED , IPD Rear Sway Bar and links, IPD POLY TORQUE ROD Koni FSD's, Eibach Loweing Springs, Powerflex Torque Bushing, Bloxsport wheel spacers
      Sold: 2008 Volvo C30 2.0 Java/Cosmic White, Manual, Elevate Tune, Weird OEM Mood Lighting Kit, EST Catback Exhaust, Koni STR.T, H&R Springs, Injen Intake, 19' BBS SR Wheels, Ion Yellow Fogs,
      SoldL 2006 Volvo V70R, Magic Blue, Stock

I have a similar problem to everyone else, my aircon starts nice and cool but after about 2 min it's warm air. I have noticed that the fans kick in when I first start the car but then stop. The car shows no warning lights of heating up. I took the car to volvo service and they initially told me it was the valves to which they replaced but then called to tell me the fan assembly needed replacing as well at a very expensive cost to which I refused. As the fans are working I have decided to order a Fan Control Module online.
      Is there anything specific that is required to swap these out?
      Is there anything that I can repair or look for on the existing module, like perhaps a dry joint.

Quote Originally Posted by NikSak View Post
      I have a similar problem to everyone else, my aircon starts nice and cool but after about 2 min it's warm air. I have noticed that the fans kick in when I first start the car but then stop. The car shows no warning lights of heating up. I took the car to volvo service and they initially told me it was the valves to which they replaced but then called to tell me the fan assembly needed replacing as well at a very expensive cost to which I refused. As the fans are working I have decided to order a Fan Control Module online.
      Is there anything that I can repair or look for on the existing module, like perhaps a dry joint.
      There are a couple bolts to take off the module, and just plug and play. That's it. I did this on a 10' I owned for a short time.
      15 Volvo XC60 R-Design Platinum Pearl White Metallic, POLESTAR EXHAUST TDI Tuning Box, POLESTAR TUNED , IPD Rear Sway Bar and links, IPD POLY TORQUE ROD Koni FSD's, Eibach Loweing Springs, Powerflex Torque Bushing, Bloxsport wheel spacers
      Sold: 2008 Volvo C30 2.0 Java/Cosmic White, Manual, Elevate Tune, Weird OEM Mood Lighting Kit, EST Catback Exhaust, Koni STR.T, H&R Springs, Injen Intake, 19' BBS SR Wheels, Ion Yellow Fogs,
      SoldL 2006 Volvo V70R, Magic Blue, Stock

Quote Originally Posted by NikSak View Post
      I had this exact problem. Tried to replace the fan control module (tried two), same issue, fan will run when I turn it on through VIDA, but otherwise won't move. I then replaced the entire fan assembly and that did the trick. I pulled the old assembly out through the top, which wasn't super easy because the edges of the assembly were too wide to let the assembly slide out, however, getting it back in was much easier.

22. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements