S40 M66 Left side Motor Mount "transmission mount" Upgrade/Replacement Notes - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      If you define some resistance when trying to pull it off as you'd have to do some flexing to get it removed when it's clipped in, I'd say that's good enough. It doesn't transfer much vertical load, only horizontal so as long as it won't pop off as long as it's "firmly" on the ball.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Junior Member LittleRedRidingHood's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by avenger09123 View Post
      If you define some resistance when trying to pull it off as you'd have to do some flexing to get it removed when it's clipped in, I'd say that's good enough. It doesn't transfer much vertical load, only horizontal so as long as it won't pop off as long as it's "firmly" on the ball.
      It barely has any more resistance than when the clip is not on it. I'll have to take a look at it again. Maybe the clip needs to be bent into shape, although I already tried that.
      2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66 - Passion Red
      2006 Volvo S40 T5 AWD M66 - Titanium Grey
      Hilton Tuning Stage 2 ~ Mototec 3" Downpipe & Sport Exhaust ~ Do88 Intercooler ~ Snabb Intake Pipe
      RIP - 2007 Volvo S40 T5 AWD Geartronic - Passion Red

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to share a couple of things that came up when I did this job last weekend.

First, I was kind of stumped by how to get the shift cables out of the way. Here's how they work: you pop out the blue clip on the cable housing. That will allow you to pull the spring-loaded sleeve backward. With the sleeve pulled backwards, the cable can be lifted directly out of the metal slot on the transmission. It may feel really tight, but rotate it just a bit to break things free and it will go.

I didn't get this and ended up cracking the plastic that attaches the boot on one of my cables when I was trying to flex them out of the way. Did a JB Weld job on it and it looks like it's holding up fine.

Hammering the pin through really wasn't that bad of a job. I used a mini-sledge and a small torx socket to hammer on. My car isn't terribly rusty, though.

Second, in the replacement mount bracket (the part that bolts to the transmission) where the center bolt (from the hydraulic mount) goes in, the threads don't seem to be cut all the way. I tightened up the center bolt to the specified torque (~80 ft-lbs) but the bolt wasn't seated all the way on the mount and it developed a clunk in 50 miles. Pulled the battery, cinched the bolt down all the way, and re-torqued the bolt and everything is good. If I were to do this job again, I would chase those threads with a tap before installation.

Finally, I attached all of the four large bolts for the mount bracket from the wheelwell and that wasn't hard at all. Just have to drop the motor down low enough. Even had room to get the torque wrench on em. I would recommend this method. Our wheelwell plastic is really easy to remove/install (I use a 12v impact driver to zip out the screws).

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I did the swap to the newer style mount on my V50 M66 35K miles ago. It does isolate more vibration, though the old rubber mount was bad. Now I'm wondering if the new one might be bad already. I'm getting strange noises from the transmission and increased vibration. The other 2 mounts have been replaced and look good. The transmission mount looks like it may be sagging, no leakage yet though. If I jack the transmission up, there is a few inches of travel.

Have folks been seeing the new mounts fail much with the M66? I'm debating switching back to the rubber mount.
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer) Bilstein HD, ECU spacer, Snabb Turbo Pipe

1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

Quote Originally Posted by AutoGeek View Post
      I did the swap to the newer style mount on my V50 M66 35K miles ago. It does isolate more vibration, though the old rubber mount was bad. Now I'm wondering if the new one might be bad already. I'm getting strange noises from the transmission and increased vibration. The other 2 mounts have been replaced and look good. The transmission mount looks like it may be sagging, no leakage yet though. If I jack the transmission up, there is a few inches of travel.

Have folks been seeing the new mounts fail much with the M66? I'm debating switching back to the rubber mount.
      Mines been in for a long time. There was an interior knocking on cold start at about 1500-2500rpm that went away over the next 5,000mi, but there is increased interior vibration. With the bad rubber one, vibration+knock was from 2000-3000rpm. I have yet however, to have any sagging. if you have INCHES of travel and the mount is ONLY 1-1.5in thick...you prolly got a big problem brewing (unscrewing center bolt maybe?). Sounds like you may have gotten a bad one.
      Last edited by avenger09123; 02-11-2020 at 06:50 AM.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

I suspect my mount is mad. It is a genuine Volvo mount as part of the kit from Tasca. Since I still have the old bracket, I'm debating going back to the old style.
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer) Bilstein HD, ECU spacer, Snabb Turbo Pipe

As I mentioned in my previous post, mine clunked because I torqued it up to spec, but the middle bolt wasn't fully tight because all the torque was just overcoming the bad threads in the bracket. When I tightened the bolt all the way, the clunk went away, for good.

I'm not really getting a clunking noise. It is more of a whirring noise like coming from gears. It may be a normal transmission noise but more noticeable due to lack of isolation if the mount is mad. If it is not the mount then I am likely looking at big bucks for clutch/transmission work. The mount is fairly cheap so I'll start there.

Well the left motor mount was bad but that is not the whole problem. I still have the tranny noise.

I've got an aftermarket one, made by Febi. It lasted about 1,5 year of occasional driving before first oil leak...

Quote Originally Posted by haoef View Post
      I've got an aftermarket one, made by Febi. It lasted about 1,5 year of occasional driving before first oil leak...
      My new style Volvo mount was bad with cracks in the rubber after only 35K miles. I replaced it with a Hutchinson mount form FCP Euro.

My new style Volvo mount was bad with cracks in the rubber after only 35K miles. I replaced it with a Hutchinson mount form FCP Euro.
      Yeah, I've bought Hutchinson 585183 today. Hope it will last longer

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2