20" R-Design Tire Discussion
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

20" R-Design Tire Discussion

It's been a while since I've seen a tire discussion. Our XC60 is at 19K miles and the tires probably only have 3-5K miles left on them (still above the treadwear bars). They're a bit noisy now.

They've worn easily, but I'm not sure the Pirellis have been great considering they became noisy fairly early and given how we drive it, I'm not sure we've gotten the mileage out of them that another tire might give.

I see that Michelin Pilot Super Sports are in this size, I had these on my Audi and they were great, but I want a M+S just in case we end up going to Colorado again or something.

What is everyone else running?
      '16 Volvo XC90 R-Design - Passion Red - Polestar, Convenience, 4C Suspension, Bowers & Wilkins, CarPlay
      '18 Tesla Model 3 Performance - Tri-coat Red - Performance Upgrade Package, Enhanced AutoPilot
      SOLD - '13 XC60 R-Design - Ice White - Platinum, Climate Pkg w/ Boosters, BLIS

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I have Continental Extremecontact DWS and have been pleased with the performance. They did an excellent job during the two weeks of constant snow last winter.
      2012 XC60 RD Plat.

I'm also going to be in the market for tires. I'm interested in everyone's thoughts. I've read good things about the Continentals. Any Bridgestone or Michelin recommendations?

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by High4 View Post
      I have Continental Extremecontact DWS and have been pleased with the performance. They did an excellent job during the two weeks of constant snow last winter.
      I have the DW's one my S6, they're not bad. The DWS makes good sense. Lately I've been a Michelin fan, and they have a Pilot A/S or something.
      '16 Volvo XC90 R-Design - Passion Red - Polestar, Convenience, 4C Suspension, Bowers & Wilkins, CarPlay
      '18 Tesla Model 3 Performance - Tri-coat Red - Performance Upgrade Package, Enhanced AutoPilot

I've had numerous sets of the DWS's, and they do handle on dry and cut through rain and snow very well. My only issue is that they seem to wear fast, and the more they wear, the louder they become. The Pirelli P7 A/S's have been decent on my V60 though would like something a little better in the snow. I currently have 26K miles on them, and they still have at least another 5K on them (enough to get me to December). I'm contemplating getting the Pilot A/S or the P7 Plus tires when I replace these this winter.

Check-out the ratings on these P7 A/S Plus tires. Can you get a higher rain and snow rating for a V rated tire?
      http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ll+Season+Plus
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current
      ’18 V90 T6 AWD R-Design | '18 V90 CC T6 AWD Ocean Race Edition
      '05 CLK55 AMG Vert

Prior Volvo's
      '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 ORE Plat | '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat |’07 S40 T5

Looks like the comparable (to P7 Plus) for crossovers are the Scorpion Verde A/S Plus. Still very highly rated.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ll+Season+Plus
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current
      ’18 V90 T6 AWD R-Design | '18 V90 CC T6 AWD Ocean Race Edition
      '05 CLK55 AMG Vert

Prior Volvo's
      '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 ORE Plat | '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat |’07 S40 T5

Our Scorpions are also ready to go. They still have some treadlife left, but are now noisy as all get out. I've tried every rotation possible to get through this summer, but with only marginal reduction in noise. I moved them side-to-side to run backwards from the former rotation and they quieted down somewhat, but after 1000 miles they were back to the same as before.

I also considered the Michelin Pilot Super Sports (I have them on my Audi S4). Instead I bought the Nokian zLine SUV. 1/3 longer treadlife, lower rolling resistance, 20% lower price, and excellent handling according to reports (the XC60 is of course an SUV, so PSS handling potential is not top on the need list). They go on the vehicle on Friday.

Yes, I realize this is a summer only tire, and the discussion so far has been for for all-seasons. I run Nokian Hakka R's in the winter on 18" rims. Nokian has a great all-season WR-G3 SUV, but it's not available in 255/45-20.
      Last edited by JLoft; 06-16-2015 at 09:34 PM.

I ended up putting on a set of Nitto NT421Q's - the Nokian zLine wasn't available and didn't have a treadwear warranty, so they missed out this time. I also run 19" Nokian Hakka R's in the winter on this car, and WRG3's on my other car - both excellent tires.

I also tried out the Yokohama Parada Spec-X for a few weeks while waiting for the Nitto's - slightly softer feel, but in wet weather from a dead stop, they spun a bit. The Nitto's so far are very good on everything - and I can fall back on the 100k treadwear warranty when the heavy XC60 chews through them. The stock Pirelli Scorpions barely made 30k - junk tires.
      2010 XC60 R-Design, Sapphire Black, Polestar-tuned

I ran Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 on my RWD 3-series last year mid-March through mid-Dec. I only sacrificed a little initial turn in bite compared to the Bridgestone RE760 summer tires I ran for the previous 5 seasons. The Michelins allow me to keep the winter tires in the garage for an extra two months here in MA compared to a summer tire, without sacrificing much performance compared to a summer tire. Not sure how much stock I put in the 500 treadwear rating. I don't have enough miles on them to comment yet.

+1. I've run these for a number of years and never had a problem. The 50k warranty was really nice on cars (not Volvos) that ate rear tires every 15k.
      Volvo: 2015.5 XC60 RD Plat. arrest-me red w/ Climate, BLIS & OEM trailer hitch. IPD skid plate & rear sway bar
      Others: 2019 Merc AMG E53 Cpe, 1988 Merc 560SL, 1969 MGB GT, 1957 MG ZB Magnette, 1953 MG TD & 1935 Ford 5W Dlx Cpe

I think continental has a new version of their DWSes coming out... Seems like I've seen some ads to that effect lately.
      2012 XC60 R-Design - Passion Red / Off-black/Cream Accents, Platinum, Polestar, & Climate
      2013 Tesla Model S P85+ - Multicoat Red / Black

Right now the DSW and AS/3 seem to be where I'm leaning. I'll probably wait and see what's available, what rebates are there and ultimately the price as I know both tires are quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by cab View Post
      I think continental has a new version of their DWSes coming out... Seems like I've seen some ads to that effect lately.
      I believe this is the new tire, it has a slightly different name and at least at Tire Rack, it's $7 cheaper:
      http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....dClar=R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by BrianV View Post
      Right now the DSW and AS/3 seem to be where I'm leaning. I'll probably wait and see what's available, what rebates are there and ultimately the price as I know both tires are quite good.
      I have both at the moment. The cars are apples and oranges apart so I can't say I have an objective opinion, but for old times sake I lean towards the Contis. I don't think that you can go wrong with either.
      Volvo: 2015.5 XC60 RD Plat. arrest-me red w/ Climate, BLIS & OEM trailer hitch. IPD skid plate & rear sway bar
      Others: 2019 Merc AMG E53 Cpe, 1988 Merc 560SL, 1969 MGB GT, 1957 MG ZB Magnette, 1953 MG TD & 1935 Ford 5W Dlx Cpe

I have been very happy with the Goodyear, Eagle Sport. Pretty good value/price it seems. They are wearing very little in 20K miles on them so far. They are very quiet and handle great even in extreme southern rains. I am expecting very long life out of these. In past tire discussions one person commented on this tire being a 101 for load instead of a 105 as is the original equipment tire on the R-Design. I often have a full load and pull a boat as well with no issues. The tire shop did the math on the weight for me and said that the 105 exceeded what was needed for the vehicle and that even with the weight I may pull the 101 was right on. I thought the siping (slits across the tire's surface) would bother me in terms of not looking very sporty (as I think the tire should look good as well as perform) and it really looks great on the vehicle. Just sharing and alternative tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....R-Design%20AWD

2011 XC60 T-6 AWD R-Design + Polestar, Passion Red (climate, navigation, and technology packages). Added: Custom Subwoofer, Trailer Hitch, Vision X LED light bar and fogs, and Laser Interceptor V. 8 (Quad).

I had DWS on both of my S40 and the wife car (TC). I have nothing but extremely happy with both of the set.

When it is time to replace the Scorpion, I might have to go with DWS or the Nitto on where another person suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by twbannon View Post
      I have been very happy with the Goodyear, Eagle Sport. Pretty good value/price it seems. They are wearing very little in 20K miles on them so far. They are very quiet and handle great even in extreme southern rains. I am expecting very long life out of these. In past tire discussions one person commented on this tire being a 101 for load instead of a 105 as is the original equipment tire on the R-Design. I often have a full load and pull a boat as well with no issues. The tire shop did the math on the weight for me and said that the 105 exceeded what was needed for the vehicle and that even with the weight I may pull the 101 was right on. I thought the siping (slits across the tire's surface) would bother me in terms of not looking very sporty (as I think the tire should look good as well as perform) and it really looks great on the vehicle. Just sharing and alternative tire.

I had these on my S60R. They were definitely an improvement over the OEM Pirellis in terms of handling and ride quality. They were actually really good in the snow as well. The R was already pretty decent in the snow as-is but these tires made it pretty unstoppable. I was really impressed with them.
      2013 XC60 T6 | 2007 S80 V8 | 2006 S60R | 1999 S70 AWD | 1984 240 GL

Quote Originally Posted by twbannon View Post

Thanks for sharing. I haven't had Goodyears in several cars, but I do recall my last Goodyears being good. The pricepoint on these seem 20% better and your review is promising with 20K miles left. We don't drive our car too hard and the Pirellis are down to probably 3 or 4/32nds at 19K miles.

Quote Originally Posted by sexy60 View Post
      I had these on my S60R. They were definitely an improvement over the OEM Pirellis in terms of handling and ride quality. They were actually really good in the snow as well. The R was already pretty decent in the snow as-is but these tires made it pretty unstoppable. I was really impressed with them.
      One other thing, the rim protector is a nice added bonus for those 20" Cratus wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianV View Post
      I believe this is the new tire, it has a slightly different name and at least at Tire Rack, it's $7 cheaper:
      http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....dClar=R-Design
      Yeah, that's them. I had the previous gen DWSes on our two E39 5 series - one for a year and the other for a few months (we sold both cars so I have no long term wear data. They road and wore well in the time we had them. They are geared more toward comfort than, say, the Pilot A/Ses might be. When I put them on my M5, I noted they took an extra beat (or two) to "take a set" when hitting a sweeper unlike the dedicated summer performance tires I had replaced - definitely a bit squirmier. For the XC60 though, I would definitely consider them again given the nature of the driving we do in it, but might want a "return" guarantee in case I found them too squirmy - that's the challenge with the XC60 RD, it has a ton of power and it is easy to forget the chassis isn't at the same level, especially with the higher CoG (sometimes a good tire can save your butt).

I had high hopes for the Pilot A/S, but it looks to be geared a bit more for sport (louder, firmer riding, and the wear reports look a bit questionable) - there is no free lunch.

I figured our Scorpions would have worn out by now (37K miles or so), but they refuse to...despite their howling.
      2012 XC60 R-Design - Passion Red / Off-black/Cream Accents, Platinum, Polestar, & Climate

Yeah, that's them. I had the previous gen DWSes on our two E39 5 series - one for a year and the other for a few months (we sold both cars so I have no long term wear data. They road and wore well in the time we had them. They are geared more toward comfort than, say, the Pilot A/Ses might be. When I put them on my M5, I noted they took an extra beat (or two) to "take a set" when hitting a sweeper unlike the dedicated summer performance tires I had replaced - definitely a bit squirmier. For the XC60 though, I would definitely consider them again given the nature of the driving we do in it, but might want a "return" guarantee in case I found them too squirmy - that's the challenge with the XC60 RD, it has a ton of power and it is easy to forget the chassis isn't at the same level, especially with the higher CoG (sometimes a good tire can save your butt).

I had high hopes for the Pilot A/S, but it looks to be geared a bit more for sport (louder, firmer riding, and the wear reports look a bit questionable) - there is no free lunch.

I figured our Scorpions would have worn out by now (37K miles or so), but they refuse to...despite their howling.
      Wow 37K. I mean I still have about 25% tread left, and I could stretch these to 30K miles I suppose, but I really don't like running on worn tires.

I am now on my second set of the Conti DWS tires and have been quite happy with their overall performance. I would recommend them without hesitation

-E
      2011.5 XC60 R-Design, Passion Red, 3.2 AWD

Well, I've decided go with the Conti DWS tires. Hopefully, I can have them installed this weekend. Except for the noise, I really can't complain about the Pirellis, since I got nearly 50K miles out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by XC60 TN View Post
      Well, I've decided go with the Conti DWS tires. Hopefully, I can have them installed this weekend. Except for the noise, I really can't complain about the Pirellis, since I got nearly 50K miles out of them.
      Are you going with the DWS or new DWS 06? I think the former will be replaced with the latter, but currently BOTH are available (Tire Rack shows the "original" DWS to be on "closeout").

Links:

Are you going with the DWS or new DWS 06? I think the former will be replaced with the latter, but currently BOTH are available (Tire Rack shows the "original" DWS to be on "closeout").

Links:

I'm going with the DWS. Did some research on Tire Rack and they seemed to have high overall reviews. IIRC the DWS 06 have a higher speed rating.

Quote Originally Posted by XC60 TN View Post
      I'm going with the DWS. Did some research on Tire Rack and they seemed to have high overall reviews. IIRC the DWS 06 have a higher speed rating.
      TN - did you get your Contis installed? Any feedback?

cab, yes the Contis are on my car. So far so good. Just got back from a beach trip and they performed well.

I have to vote for the DWS, as well, and thanks for the heads-up on the change, may have to garage an extra set. I've run them on a GTI and the C70 for years.

But we liked the original Scorps on the XC60 (and our previous XC70, for that matter) so much, we replaced them with the greens, since they were higher rated. We have the 18" rims, though. We got 35 or 40k out of the originals (~3 yrs), and the new ones (~1 yr) seem to have tons of tread left. Traction has been great, once i learned to point and shoot, and let the AWD do it's magic. Had one time on a downhill when I took the lane less traveled and found out it was because there was more ice. The XC70 started sliding, but after a few different attempts, straightening everything up and getting the Scorps running at road speed got her back in line.

With Discount Tire, I don't really worry much about wear anymore. They really take care of you on the pro-rate when the tires don't meet the warranty mileage. I guess you pay more because you change more frequently, but I hated the Pilots that came on my GTI and they lasted forever.

*Interesting, the DWS "Special/Closeout" at Tire Rack is $6+ more than the DWS 06 for the C70 in 17", and $9+ more than the DWS at Discount. Didn't look at the XC60 sizes.
      Last edited by dbphillips; 07-22-2015 at 01:01 AM.
      2009 Hilton Stage 2 C70 M66 Passion Red/Graphite/Aluminum - Quaife LSD installed! Has anyone else noticed gear whir in 3rd and 4th? Or a "clunk" from the SPEC SMF and R clutch (or front LCA poly bushings?) at startup?
      2011 XC60 3.2L Barents Blue/Anthracite/Aluminum - rings/pistons at 35k, new engine at 50k, seems no oil loss yet at 100k.

Looks like the Contis are the most popular choice to replace the Pirelli Scorpions. Does anyone have any experience with the Yokohama Paradas? They seem to be the top rated 20" tire in Tire Rack's reviews & I had them on my previous Ford Explorer to replace the crappy OEM Hankook Optima. I thought they were quiet & handled well & they seem to be priced below the others. I am now at 20k miles & will need to replace the OEM tires soon.
      2018 XC60 T6 Inscription, Pine Grey, Maroon Brown Interior, Polestar, Advanced, Vision, Convenience, Protection, Air Suspension, B&W, etc

Just got back from the tire shop (Discount Tire) - had them order and install a set of Continental's ExtremeContact DWS 06es. Some pics (sorry, they still have the tire installation "goo" on them):

I literally only have about 8 miles on them so have no data so far...they are obviously quieter than the howling Pirelli's had become. I THINK they may be a bit smoother over the minor bumps, but really need way more time with them. We may be taking the car on a 200 mile round trip this weekend so more road time then (that's one of the reasons I wanted to go ahead and get them installed today).

I look forward to your next report.

Cab, what's the verdict on the DWS 06 after your weekend trip? How's the impact harshness in the cabin?

So, we didn't end up taking the car, but have driven it a bit (a couple hundred miles or so). It's a bit ying and yang on these tires I think. My summary so far:

Noise Level
      Honestly, it is hard to say as the Pirellis had gotten so loud, a monster truck would have been quieter! They are NOT silent on our Texas grooved concrete freeways (almost nothing is), but they are so much quieter than the Pirellis I don;t care. Honestly, I've gotten to the point that I don't really "notice" them on the freeways which tells me they are likely "normal" since I am hypersensitive. Low speed larger sharp edge impacts are as loud as ever. The tread pattern on the new DWS 06 is more aggressive...I wonder how that will fair in long haul as my experience is that aggressive = loud later in life.

Ride Quality
      On the one hand I think they absorb some minor imperfections a bit better than the factory Scorpions, but larger bumps seem to transmit about as much movement to the cabin...maybe even slightly more! They may be "rounding off" the sharp edges a bit. As I look as these DWS-06es I think they could have a stronger sidewall than the old DWSes. Indeed, some drivers complained the old DWSes were a bit too "touring" and a little less "high performance". I think Continental has addressed that with the "06" series which improves handling and turn-n, but probably at the expense of all out comfort. It isn't dramatic, but I think I can feel it compared to my last two 5 series with the DWS

Here is a review that indicates the sidewall is 35% stiffer than the old DWSes:
      http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...6-tire-review/

One plus of the stiffer sidewall is that I haven't noticed any "squaring off" over night which DWSes can do...of course it is 100 degrees here these days and that tends to be worse in Winter!

Handling
      Well, as already noted the sidewall on the DWS 06 seems stiffer to me on than the old DWS. When I swapped the tires on my old M5 to the original DWS, I immediately noticed their "squish" on turn in and how the car took an extra half second to take a "set" vs. the dedicated Summer high performance tires I had on that car previously. I feared I would notice the same thing here, but that really isn't the case. I also think the stiffer sidewall will likely protect the rims and tires from mishaps which could occasionally happen with DWSes on heavier rides.

Summary
      The big question is simply: Would I buy them again? The answer is, um, maybe, er, probably, er...hmmm. The freeway drive, ride, handling and noise level is pretty good. It actually makes me really enjoy the car again - really have no complaints in this area. Low speed ride quality could be better, but I'm not sure how much better given the car's suspension and bushing compliance (or lack thereof). My review may be slightly skewed as I think I was running the Pirellis at 32 psi (to soften the ride), but am running the DWSes at the recommended 35 psi.

Honestly, I might lean back toward the original DWSes which are still available and (I think) could be a few % points more comfortable at the expense of some handling. However, if you lean at all toward sporty driving, then I think the 06 series of the DWS would be a better choice.

You really can't have your cake and eat it too (despite what some reviewers would have you believe).

My next step is to install the Koni FSD struts/shocks which my wife just informed me are "sitting on the front porch" (UPS must have just dropped them off)...that'll have to wait a bit until I get a free weekend!

You pretty much summed up what I was expecting. Since we do a lot of highway driving, I was hoping for a more positive review on noise. I always felt that the XC60 didn't handle the larger low speed imperfections/potholes that well. The stiffer sidewall of the 06's will probably only make it worse.

I guess the only thing they keeps the DWS/DWS 06 in my top 5 is its proven performance in the snow and decent mileage warranty.

...so the search continues....

Quote Originally Posted by sexy60 View Post
      You pretty much summed up what I was expecting. Since we do a lot of highway driving, I was hoping for a more positive review on noise. I always felt that the XC60 didn't handle the larger low speed imperfections/potholes that well. The stiffer sidewall of the 06's will probably only make it worse.

I guess the only thing they keeps the DWS/DWS 06 in my top 5 is its proven performance in the snow and decent mileage warranty.

...so the search continues....
      It really is tough to walk the line between performance and ride/noise. The Yokohama Parada Spec S might be better from a softer ride and perhaps noise level, but I don't think they pretend to be anything other than a touring tire. The DWS 06s are probably no worse than the factory Scorpions were when new in terms of handling, ride and noise....but I also wouldn't say they are dramatically better...again though, it is a bit hard to remember what the Pirellis were like when new! Like you, I'm not sure what else I would get except for the original DWSes. I had high hopes for the Michelin ASes but the reviews haven't been great so I shied away from them.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast