2015.5 s60 T5 clicking/ticking noise when accelerating - Page 12
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
      Junior Member Idontlikemakingnames's Avatar
      I just had this happen to me while accelerating from 20-60 1/2 throttle. Sounded like a stick breaking and it just stopped accelerating for about 1 second. I've had this happen before a couple times but barely noticeable. I'm getting a little nervous because the car is almost out of it's warranty (48,000 miles).

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Make sure you report the problem to Volvo before your warranty runs out. The warranty usually at least partially covers you for problems which existed before it expired and which you reported to the manufacturer but it failed to fix.

For example, when we all had transmission problems on our 2001 XC70s and reported them, Volvo delayed replacing the transmission until it was absolutely necessary. At that point, the warranty had expired for a great number of us, but Volvo still covered the replacement. Some people call it "good will," but the warranty often actually warrants that the brand will pay to repair defects until it hits that expiration mileage or date. The wording makes a legal implication that any defects which exist before the expiry are covered even after that date or mileage comes as long as some effort had been made to fix the problem but the effort was not successful. Some manufacturers and warranty administrators will try to argue that the problem started after the warranty expired, and this is why you want to make sure there are records of the problem existing prior. It is in fact goodwill if you didn't tell anyone about the problem before hand and then they still offer to pay or partially pay to fix it.

And recalls, which is what I would expect to happen if this problem is as widespread as it seems, are usually covered even if you didn't notice and report the issue.

Edit: Best case scenario, have your dealership get the Warranty Administrator to agree that if the problem wasn't resolved it will continue to be covered until it is - even if the warranty expires. You'll need a good dealership willing to go to bat for you if the warranty administrator is a scrooge. The biggest problem you might have here is if they can't confirm there is in fact a problem. And you can't take any of this for granted, they could say "sorry, not covered" and you could be up for a fight to get coverage after the warranty expires.
      Last edited by matt1122; 06-22-2017 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Accuracy
      2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Package, Bowers & Wilkins, HUD, Rear Air Suspension, Polestar Optimization
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design
      Family History: 1983 Volvo 245 | 1987 Volvo 744 Turbo | 1993 Volvo 854 | 2001 Volvo S80 T6 | 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD | 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD | 2015.5 Volvo S60 Cross Country

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSnooze View Post
      I drive with the windows down quite a bit and i haven't noticed it. Will keep an ear out though.
      I won't be driving with the windows down anytime soon here. We just about hit 50ºC yesterday and today looks like it won't be far off from that either.
      2017 V60 T5 (His & Hers)
      2016 S60 T5 P* Tune
      2013 XC70 3.2

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jiehan View Post
      I did 30788938 6 in July 2016, and unfortunately the problem was not fixed.
      Yeah, same here. I'm trying to record it with my phone when it happens and have captured it a few times. Planning to go back in with recordings and see if that gets me anywhere if I can't make it happen in the ride along.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by B-SIDE View Post
      Foreman and I believe this issue is engine temperature sensitive, meaning that it occurs more often when the car is cold or has not been running that long, he also confirmed there was a know issue of this related to the original spark plugs that were issued -

I'd like some feedback from other users as to the possibility of cold vs. hot engine affecting this...

Thanks,
      The longest respite from this issue I've had was after my first oil change. It does seem worse when it's hot out. Since I got my plugs changed, it seems worse, but it's also been hotter than haydees. I live in Florida. My subjective analysis is that warm weather makes it worse, not the other way around. It is also just as likely to do it one minute after startup as it is one hour after startup.
      Last edited by keith352; 06-24-2017 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by keith352 View Post
      The longest respite from this issue I've had was after my first oil change. It does seem worse when it's hot out. Since I got my plugs changed, it seems worse, but it's also been hotter than haydees. I live in Florida. My subjective analysis is that warm weather makes it worse, not the other way around. It is also just as likely to do it one minute after startup as it is one hour after startup.
      When and where did you get the plugs changed (I'm guessing dealer?) I'm wondering what spark plugs did they use... more and more foreman and tech's i've been speaking to seem to blame the Octane / quality of gas and the Spark Plugs...

From what I've been tracking most people didn't have a problem until their 1st / 2nd oil change and some type of software update.

And when i refer to the temperature being associated with the problem i mean the temperature of the engine block not the outside weather.

I live in SouthFL and it's ALWAYS hot, and lately I've not been able to reproduce the problem with the foreman in the car...
      But Note: I recently use a can of 'Liqui Moly Valve Clean' and since then I can't replicate it on demand like I used to...

I thinck the problem must be the fuel....here in Europe the problem is unknown.... Never had an VEA with clicking noise by the dealer...

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian View Post
      I thinck the problem must be the fuel....here in Europe the problem is unknown.... Never had an VEA with clicking noise by the dealer...
      BUT, I'd bet "dollars-to-donuts" that you have a different engine tune needed to meet European emission standards which are different from the ones in the States.

The "final" analysis of what the problem really is and how it is corrected will be legend when that day finally happens (and I sure hope it will soon).
      (SOLD) 2007 S80 3.2L FWD (BD: 11/06)| Willow Green | 218K miles @ 9/2017
      Mods: IPD Alu Skid Plate | 25% tint | Qwik-Valve F104S + ADP-104 | MagnaFlow Mufflers (#11225) w/Stainless tips | GC Edge 0W-40 oil | Continental PureContact tires (225/50R17) on 17" Regor rims.

Quote Originally Posted by whizkid View Post
      BUT, I'd bet "dollars-to-donuts" that you have a different engine tune needed to meet European emission standards which are different from the ones in the States.
      They may have the same tune unless the affected vehicles are all PZEVs.

But aren't petrol cars pretty uncommon in much of Europe?
      2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Package, Bowers & Wilkins, HUD, Rear Air Suspension, Polestar Optimization
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design
      Family History: 1983 Volvo 245 | 1987 Volvo 744 Turbo | 1993 Volvo 854 | 2001 Volvo S80 T6 | 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD | 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD | 2015.5 Volvo S60 Cross Country

for sure in Holland (i know it also from a dealer there) petrol is common....and they find the VEA extreemly reliable....much cars with more than 100 000km whithout any issue

for sure in Holland (i know it also from a dealer there) petrol is common....and they find the VEA extreemly reliable....much cars with more than 100 000km whithout any issue
      VEA? What does that mean...
      2017 V60 T5 (His & Hers)
      2016 S60 T5 P* Tune
      2013 XC70 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by flyingbartman View Post
      VEA? What does that mean...
      Volvo Engine Architecture

ie: the 4 cylinder that will power all (most?) models going forward. The Drive E engine
      Sold: 98 V70 2.5T 289k Miles
      Sold 05 V70 2.5
      Sold: 05 XC90 2.5T 313986 Miles
      Traded 2017 V60 Platinum Mussel Blue OSD
      2019 XC60 Inscription (almost OSD)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
      Volvo Engine Architecture

ie: the 4 cylinder that will power all (most?) models going forward. The Drive E engine
      Ah, thank you! Too many acronyms at work, already filling my head to capacity.
      2017 V60 T5 (His & Hers)
      2016 S60 T5 P* Tune
      2013 XC70 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by B-SIDE View Post
      When and where did you get the plugs changed (I'm guessing dealer?)
      Yes, the dealer. I got no feedback, as far as what precipitated the plug change, other than "he must have seen or heard something to make him change the plugs. "

I feel I should add to this thread with a somewhat positive update I received today from another dealer in Southern California. After going to 4 dealerships and having multiple mechanics look at this issue, I finally had a service adviser admit that they now see this issue quite a bit and although i'm coming closer to the end of warranty, that they (Volvo) will work with me to resolve the problem until clicking/power-loss is resolved, even if it continues past 50,000 miles. Today, found out that #3 spark plug ceramic was cracked, and replaced with a "higher quality" plug, along with replacing the Oil trap as a first step. They mentioned that the next step would be related to digging into the engine, looking at pistons (not sure exactly, but I think i've seen posts related to similar work being done.) Fingers crossed that after putting up with this annoyance for well over 2 yrs, that maybe the problem gets resolved for my -2015.5 V60 T5-.

Hope

Now that I've heard this a time or two (just happened merging onto the freeway tonight) I believe it happens much more frequently than people notice or care to report. The noise is very faint and I only heard it because the radio was muted. Any reasonable audio level would mask it - plus no obvious power loss in my case. Those of us active on these forums are a bit more attuned to listening for it, but it could be that 90% of drivers just consider it a nuisance and move on. If not for this thread I'm not sure I'd be concerned enough to report it at my next service - I'd probably just chalk it up to something rattling in the interior. Obviously I'm still optimistic that Volvo figures out a solution, but in the meantime there are probably thousands of S60 drivers out there with this issue that haven't had any other catastrophic engine problems as a result. Gives me some hope to wait it out until a permanent solution is found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Current Fleet: 2007 XC90 V8 Sport (Titanium Gray); 2016 S60 T5 Drive-E Premier Polestar (Black Stone, Sport Pkg, Convenience Pkg, BLIS, Tech Pkg)
      Previously Owned: 2005 S60 2.5T AWD (Ice White)

Perhaps some hope from a Volvo tech in the 90-series forum:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...es-PLEASE-READ
      Current Fleet: 2007 XC90 V8 Sport (Titanium Gray); 2016 S60 T5 Drive-E Premier Polestar (Black Stone, Sport Pkg, Convenience Pkg, BLIS, Tech Pkg)

Quote Originally Posted by RJV60 View Post
      I feel I should add to this thread with a somewhat positive update I received today from another dealer in Southern California. After going to 4 dealerships and having multiple mechanics look at this issue, I finally had a service adviser admit that they now see this issue quite a bit and although i'm coming closer to the end of warranty, that they (Volvo) will work with me to resolve the problem until clicking/power-loss is resolved, even if it continues past 50,000 miles. Today, found out that #3 spark plug ceramic was cracked, and replaced with a "higher quality" plug, along with replacing the Oil trap as a first step. They mentioned that the next step would be related to digging into the engine, looking at pistons (not sure exactly, but I think i've seen posts related to similar work being done.) Fingers crossed that after putting up with this annoyance for well over 2 yrs, that maybe the problem gets resolved for my -2015.5 V60 T5-.

Hope
      This is confidence-boosting. Glad to see that Volvo is owning up to the design/manufacturing issues beyond what's legally required of them in the warranty.

EDIT: My next statement will not be so confidence-boosting, but you are probably already aware of this...In my XC60 (bought back by Volvo in April), I've got the new spark plug (with new part number) as well as oil trap replaced. This continued to happen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oirWc0lvYmk
      Last edited by jiehan; 07-14-2017 at 04:53 AM.
      2017 XC90 T6 Momentum w/ Momentum Plus, Vision, Convenience
      2019 XC60 T8 R-Design w/ Advanced

Previous: 2015.5 XC60 Drive-E T5 Platinum

The hardware seems to be the end result of the problem and not the cause. I think the cause is sofware and engine management to achieve fuel economy. Replacing of plugs and pistons has not done anyone a lick of good.
      2016 Volvo V60 T5 Platinum
      Onyx Black/Beechwood/Sport Package

This is confidence-boosting. Glad to see that Volvo is owning up to the design/manufacturing issues beyond what's legally required of them in the warranty.

EDIT: My next statement will not be so confidence-boosting, but you are probably already aware of this...In my XC60 (bought back by Volvo in April), I've got the new spark plug (with new part number) as well as oil trap replaced. This continued to happen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oirWc0lvYmk
      Yeah, I took the car out the following day, didn't the usual strong acceleration without flooring it, and the problem persists. The dealership followed up the following Monday and checked with me about the issue. They are ready to take further steps in solving the problem. I'm bringing the car back in early August and will report further. Still hope

Well, on occasion a lurker will chime in and say they've never had this problem...guess it's my turn...maybe someone should start a poll...might be a worthy sample...
      Rapid Rick...I roll
      2008 C30 Matt Pearl Gold OSD-customized w/Elevate tune
      2015 V60 Seashell Metallic w/Platinum, BLIS, wood

Volvo should market engines in the US that works reliable with the available fuel.

A small anecdote. My late father was a boat engine designer. In the early 2000 they rebranded a german 9l engine to replace an older domestic version.
      Problems were reported from US, it refused to start on US fuel. Fix, engine software had to be modified. (de-optimized)
      Hence Volvo should have tested the engine extensively on typical US fuel. Now if engine design is not in house, but perhaps outsourced to a consulting firm in Switzerland,
      Volvo in house may have lost the ability to design/fix anything beyond "engine mounts", hence lack skills to fix the issues described here.
      Maybe the ecu software is merely licensed, not developed by volvo.

Quote Originally Posted by cathanas View Post
      OK, it’s been two weeks since my service that replaced the pistons, rings and plugs. Since then I have had the issue pop up about 4 times. That is great because before the last service it was happening several times a day, every day. Four times is better than before, but still not fixed. So right or wrong, here are my thoughts.

I experienced the problem around 9500 miles, as prior to that the car ran flawlessly. It was before my 10,000 mile service, so it was not a software update that caused it. Up to that point I used 87 octane exclusively as that is what the manual said it would run on and I purposely did not buy a T6 so I could run 87 octane. At its worse, I could make the car misbehave at will. Nine months ago I switched to 91 octane exclusively and things improved. The issue was still there, but less frequent and I could not predict when it would happen. However, over time the frequency increased until recently it was back to everyday and again I was able to make the car misbehave at will.

I think I got the new pistons, rings and plugs because I kept contacting Volvo Corp. and complaining about my car. I think changing the pistons, rings and plugs gets the engine close to new and resets some normal wear that exacerbates the problem (as we like to say, kicking the can down the road). I believe if nothing changes, in 4000 or 5000 miles my car will be back to running poorly. I believe every E5 engine will develop this problem after it has enough miles on it. I believe this issue is probably scaring the crap out of Volvo. I believe Volvo will eventually come up with a fix and that fix will be a software patch. Again, these are just my thoughts and your mileage may vary.
      Quote Originally Posted by freddell View Post
      Volvo should market engines in the US that works reliable with the available fuel.

A small anecdote. My late father was a boat engine designer. In the early 2000 they rebranded a german 9l engine to replace an older domestic version.
      Problems were reported from US, it refused to start on US fuel. Fix, engine software had to be modified. (de-optimized)
      Hence Volvo should have tested the engine extensively on typical US fuel. Now if engine design is not in house, but perhaps outsourced to a consulting firm in Switzerland,
      Volvo in house may have lost the ability to design/fix anything beyond "engine mounts", hence lack skills to fix the issues described here.
      Maybe the ecu software is merely licensed, not developed by volvo.
      I believe you are right. 2016 XC60 has reduced mpg (worse fuel economy) compared to 2015 XC60, even though they have the identical engine (I think?)

Also, I heard during trade assist that Volvo has a software fix coming, supposedly pending EPA approval.

I believe you are right. 2016 XC60 has reduced mpg (worse fuel economy) compared to 2015 XC60, even though they have the identical engine (I think?)

Also, I heard during trade assist that Volvo has a software fix coming, supposedly pending EPA approval.
      I'm assuming that isn't a snippet from the Volvo website, but it still upsets me when I see a post that leads us to believe we can use "regular gasoline". Which, by the sounds of many, could be a cause with this issue. Each mechanic/service advisor I've spoken with, repeated to me that I ONLY use Premium fuel and sorry that I was mislead by the sales staff, basically leading me to believe that Volvo had done some incredible engineering that allows a turbo engine to run off of regular, and everything is wonderful. Unfortunately, I drove 8000 miles mostly on Regular fuel before I wised up
      2015.5 Black - V60 T5 Drive-E

2016s have this issue as well though, so I don't think the fuel economy ratings (i.e. "Retuning" the engine/software) have anything to do with it, at least in regards to this particular issue.

I noticed that all of the 90 series vehicles state that premium is required. The S/V60 which was a pre-existing model recommends premium. Volvo should have used the same verbiage across all the Drive-E models. If it's a Drive-E, use premium.

Quote Originally Posted by Okidiver View Post
      Well, on occasion a lurker will chime in and say they've never had this problem...guess it's my turn...maybe someone should start a poll...might be a worthy sample...
      +1
      2015 V60 T5 Drive-E Premier+ W/19" Sport Package. Mmm...Beechwood

Quote Originally Posted by RJV60 View Post
      I'm assuming that isn't a snippet from the Volvo website, but it still upsets me when I see a post that leads us to believe we can use "regular gasoline". Which, by the sounds of many, could be a cause with this issue. Each mechanic/service advisor I've spoken with, repeated to me that I ONLY use Premium fuel and sorry that I was mislead by the sales staff, basically leading me to believe that Volvo had done some incredible engineering that allows a turbo engine to run off of regular, and everything is wonderful. Unfortunately, I drove 8000 miles mostly on Regular fuel before I wised up
      Screenshots are from the EPA website (fueleconomy.gov), which I assume gets its data from Volvo regulatory filings.

Quote Originally Posted by Sven787 View Post
      2016s have this issue as well though, so I don't think the fuel economy ratings (i.e. "Retuning" the engine/software) have anything to do with it, at least in regards to this particular issue.

Ah, good to know...never mind then! Hopefully, software or not, this gets resolved for all of us!

v60 2015.5 Drive-E 13800miles
      If I stomp on the accelerator, I get a tick, tick, tick as well. I thought it might be the transmission shifting but the car behavior doesn't support that. The ticks are not regular and since they surprise me a bit I lift off the accelerator. I do not get this at lower acceleration, only when I try to put the accelerator to the floor. I would be interested in find out what this is. I am 1.2k from an oil change so, if nobody else finds out, I probably will have an answer in 6 or 7 weeks. (or not) 8-) makes me long for my TDI
      Last edited by jjseven; 07-18-2017 at 01:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jjseven View Post
      if nobody else finds out, I probably will have an answer in 6 or 7 weeks.
      Famous last words.

Just got my car (S60) back, and so far it appears to be fixed. Now, realize I say this with cautious optimism only because not enough time and miles have passed to be absolutely sure. Pistons, cylinder head and spark plugs were changed during the mini overhaul. Fingers crossed...
      2017 V60 T5 (His & Hers)
      2016 S60 T5 P* Tune
      2013 XC70 3.2

People who can reliably recreate this, if you would be so kind as to humor me would you try recreating it with DSTC in sport mode?

Quote Originally Posted by matt1122 View Post
      People who can reliably recreate this, if you would be so kind as to humor me would you try recreating it with DSTC in sport mode?
      When my car 'was' making the "Spark Knock" i was never able to re-create it in Sport Mode,
      I tried everything i could to determine the best way to recreate it ; I did notice it more often when I'd first starting my daily commute especially when +ECO is activated.

Quote Originally Posted by matt1122 View Post
      I have a 2016 v60 t5. How do I put it in sport mode? If not being in eco mode means it's in sport mode then I can verify that the noise does occur in sport mode.... EDIT so a quick search of the interwebs yields an answer. I will give this a try. I can pretty much replicate the sound at will.
      Last edited by keith352; 07-23-2017 at 03:10 AM.

Given that the problem seems to still be undiagnosed, I just want to see if perhaps spin control could be what's cutting power. DSTC sport mode should reduce spin control and perhaps alleviate the problem if that's the case.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast