Volvo Cars Introduces "Pay Once and Never Pay Again" Lifetime Parts & Labor Warranty - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Comp, no one should have to put up with that quality of service regardless of what marque you are driving. When I lived in SF the dealer was so disappointing I would have the Volvo serviced when I was visiting relatives a hundred miles away. That dealer's main line was MB and that set the standard. You don't return an S Class with water spots. I hope you can come up with an alternative.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

This program sounds nice and it may be for certain parts but the real issue will be what is determined as wearable parts. From my experience Volvo casts a wide net in what is "wearable". Two years ago while performing my first personal routine inspection on my 2007 C70 I found that the manual transmission was leaking fluid at the plug. Based on evidence, it had been leaking for a while. Annoyed that it had not been found on the last warranty inspection, I returned to the dealer and they replaced the gasket (washer) on the plug and refilled the fluid and charged me. I didn't have a problem with the charge, but wished it had been found during the warranty period. But as I found out it would not have made any difference. The car still leaked fluid, which I promptly returned the C70 back to the dealer. They found that the plug itself had a defect. I argued that first the problem should have been found during the warranty period and then should have been fixed properly the first time. The service manager agreed however he stated the Volvo deems all plugs to be wearable parts and are not covered under any warranty anyway. I indicated that a manual transmission plug is not the same as an oil plug or an automatic transmission plug which have regular service intervals. But was told a plug is a plug. So I paid once more to have it serviced. This may sound trivial but the logic Volvo used could make the entire engine a wearable part and make this program useless. On the web site I could not find a list of parts that are deemed wearable. Since this situation, other that one repair that involved software, I have either performed the service myself or have taken my Volvo's to an independent shop who does not charge me if he doesn't fix the problem the first time.
      2019 S60 T6 AWD R-Design, 2007 C70 T5 (6 speed MT),
      2006 BMW K1200S, 2007 BMW K1200GT,
      2017 V90CC T6 AWD Inscription - wife's, 2009 V50 T5 AWD - wife's

Gone but not forgotten: 2010 S40 T5 AWD (6 speed MT) - Now my brother's, 2012 S60 T6 AWD (GT),
      1999 C70 HPT Coupe (5 speed MT), 2005 S40 T5 (6 speed MT), 1964 P544 B18

Quote Originally Posted by CDR114 View Post
      This program sounds nice and it may be for certain parts but the real issue will be what is determined as wearable parts. From my experience Volvo casts a wide net in what is "wearable". Two years ago while performing my first personal routine inspection on my 2007 C70 I found that the manual transmission was leaking fluid at the plug. Based on evidence, it had been leaking for a while. Annoyed that it had not been found on the last warranty inspection, I returned to the dealer and they replaced the gasket (washer) on the plug and refilled the fluid and charged me. I didn't have a problem with the charge, but wished it had been found during the warranty period. But as I found out it would not have made any difference. The car still leaked fluid, which I promptly returned the C70 back to the dealer. They found that the plug itself had a defect. I argued that first the problem should have been found during the warranty period and then should have been fixed properly the first time. The service manager agreed however he stated the Volvo deems all plugs to be wearable parts and are not covered under any warranty anyway. I indicated that a manual transmission plug is not the same as an oil plug or an automatic transmission plug which have regular service intervals. But was told a plug is a plug. So I paid once more to have it serviced. This may sound trivial but the logic Volvo used could make the entire engine a wearable part and make this program useless. On the web site I could not find a list of parts that are deemed wearable. Since this situation, other that one repair that involved software, I have either performed the service myself or have taken my Volvo's to an independent shop who does not charge me if he doesn't fix the problem the first time.

Hear hear!

I can see the logic: Rods turn, and because its metal-on-metal with only a bit of oil in the middle, it will wear down. WEAR ITEM! Anything that rotates or is meant to come apart could tecnically be considered a wear item, so that leaves...the plastic engine cover?
      2004 V70 T5M: Platinum Green Bob Villa mod | boost gauge | poly mounts | Snabb intake | IPD sways | Koni yellow struts | KYB monotube shocks http://imgur.com/a/0MRgX
      2005 Mazda6 Sportwagon in progress...
      2012 Ford Flex Limited

2001 Subaru Outback H6 L.L.Bean/2000 Honda Odyssey EX recently passed (together!)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by thaxman View Post
      Hear hear!

I can see the logic: Rods turn, and because its metal-on-metal with only a bit of oil in the middle, it will wear down. WEAR ITEM! Anything that rotates or is meant to come apart could tecnically be considered a wear item, so that leaves...the plastic engine cover?
      No, I think not ... the engine cover might wear (by the time the sun burns out) so it also, would logically be a "wear item". Perhaps the warranty document itself, properly protected, might last forever.

Of course, I jest. But I am glad Volvo has offered this improvement to their warranty on repaired items. But take note that even the aftermarket guys have long included lifetime warranties on various parts ... AutoZone offers such on brake pads and shoes, as well as alternators and many other parts. And even Ford's program, though not "lifetime' may be quite sufficient for most folks: http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...parts-warranty ... this goes back to 2013, and it includes towing, and with the high number of dealerships ... might be an appropriate choice for many. Still, for the folks who have a "good" Volvo dealership nearby, the Volvo warranty should be good news.

yeah, it's really the labor warranty that is the big news. Anyone can do lifetime on parts.....I'm doing it right now with various parts at RockAuto.

After Volvo eats enough labor jobs on collar gear replacements I think this program will end.....or they will declare the collar gear a wear item LOL.
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

Quote Originally Posted by StealthyS60R View Post
      I wonder if this will this be retroactive, like the angle gear I had the dealership change out back in 2009?
      hahahahahaha.....absolutely not. I don't even need to "see dealer for details" for that answer.
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod

Will the B pillar fabric that keeps fraying because the seatbelt hits it be considered wear and tear on my XC90?

Pretty bad design by Volvo on that.

Quote Originally Posted by deepfried View Post
      Will the B pillar fabric that keeps fraying because the seatbelt hits it be considered wear and tear on my XC90?

Pretty bad design by Volvo on that.
      Im sure it is a wearable item, I think all interior parts are, no?

Regarding the program, as others stated, it all depends on what is covered and what is excluded and exact conditions. Volvo needs to clearly state this, not the dealers...

"Volvo of North America" is a misnomer. It and this program exclude Canada, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
      yeah, it's really the labor warranty that is the big news. Anyone can do lifetime on parts.....I'm doing it right now with various parts at RockAuto.

After Volvo eats enough labor jobs on collar gear replacements I think this program will end.....or they will declare the collar gear a wear item LOL.
      You forgot all those CPO grade high miles P1 platforms rolling around, ticking with the PCV recalls and repeated turbo check valve failures. Hahah don't get me started on the non-adjustable suspension alignment issues. Poor VOLVO dealers! They'll have to declare everything a wear item, or actually do something like fix the customer's car!
      2007 S40 T5, HEICO Springs|Bilstein B8 SP|PF Race TQ Mount|ACDELCO Adj. Camber Arms | C30 Sport LCAs | IPD HD Endlinks | Castrol Edge 5W-30 @ 116,200 miles |

Quote Originally Posted by bcz View Post
      "Volvo of North America" is a misnomer. It and this program exclude Canada, by the way.
      Well that just means this is solely being done to allay Americans (justified) fears about the inbound Chinese cars.
      2006 Passion Red S60R

just learned today via dealer flyer that this program isn't transferable.....they should be more clear that it is lifetime for your OWNERSHIP of the vehicle. Saving your receipts and giving them to the next buyer is pointless it seems.
      2006 Passion Red S60R

Awaiting Approval
      Reviving the thread, Just found about the Volvo Canada's "Lifetime Parts & Labor Warranty" and reached out to two different dealers to check if the wheel hub assemblies were covered under the warranty. One dealer said that the wheel hubs are wear and tear while the other said it was covered under warranty. To clear things out i reached out to Volvo Canada and got the below response.

To be clear, Volvo Retailers do not decide to cover or not cover a repair claim under the lifetime warranty policy, Volvo's Technical Department does.
      The warranty program is administered with part numbers, in other words, after diagnosing the issue on a vehicle, Volvo Retailers submit the part numbers to be replaced to the Technical Department for approval.
      If the part numbers submitted are included in the covered components, the Volvo Retailer then proceeds with the repair and the lifetime warranty applies to that specific repair.
      We recommend that you contact your local Volvo Retailer to have the issue diagnosed and as we previously stated, the Retailer can/will submit the part numbers to be replaced to verify and confirm if they are part of the lifetime warranty coverage.

Also bumping this...I could have sworn I saw a thread on this topic that clarified, with guidance from Volvo, that purchasing a part from somewhere like FCPEuro and having it installed at a Volvo dealer would still qualify for this warranty program.

Does anyone have experience with this?
      2014 Audi Allroad Prem+
      2009 XC90 V8 R-Design
      2013 WRX Limited Hatch - Satin White Pearl (Gone)
      2005 WRX Sedan (Gone)
      1998 V70R (Gone)

Quote Originally Posted by thaxman View Post
      but in all reality, with the exception of angle gears and DIMs, you probably will not have rework
      You forget these are now chinese tat which means you probably will need a lot of stuff doing over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by skifreak85353 View Post
      Also bumping this...I could have sworn I saw a thread on this topic that clarified, with guidance from Volvo, that purchasing a part from somewhere like FCPEuro and having it installed at a Volvo dealer would still qualify for this warranty program.

Does anyone have experience with this?
      Clarified with Volvo that the parts have to be purchased from a Volvo dealership and installed by a Volvo dealership to qualify. That does not mean they need to be purchased from and installed by the same dealer.

Thinking the strategy is wear parts from FCP and everything else from Tasca or Volvo Lisle.
      2014 Audi Allroad Prem+
      2009 XC90 V8 R-Design
      2005 WRX Sedan (Gone)
      1998 V70R (Gone)

What is considered a "wear" item?

That definition is open to opinion.
      '83 242 Burgundy w/B230FT, '06 V50 Barents T5 AWD, '10 S40 Ice White T5 AWD,
      '12 C30 Ice White T5 R Design w/Polestar, and '13 C30 Rebel LE #189/250
      ALL MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS

Manual Volvos for Life

Fair. Guess it depends on your interpretation. I’ll be ordering things like rotors, pads, wipers, bulbs, oil, filter, suspension bits, etc from FCP and things like alternators, water pumps, etc from Volvo.

The Volvo warranty only covers defective parts. FCP covers things that have lasted their expected useful lifetime.
      2014 Audi Allroad Prem+
      2009 XC90 V8 R-Design
      2005 WRX Sedan (Gone)
      1998 V70R (Gone)

22. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2