front sway bar bushings anybody?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

front sway bar bushings anybody?

does anybody have a source for front sway bar bushings? 30 min of online searching and I found almost nothing. It looks like volvo wants you to replace the entire front sway bar assembly instead of just the bushings.... Even IDP and FCP had no bushings for a stock swaybar.

only ones I found that may work were these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-850-S7...a3ce43&vxp=mtr

Is there mo way to just replace a $5 bushing like on most cars? Or is the $45 kit my best option

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The bushings are molded on to the sway bar from the factory. Another 'lifetime' item that doesn't last a lifetime.

I've used that same kit on my V70R before I upgraded to IPD bars. It's a good kit, fits well. the biggest problem was removing the old bushings. I did it with the bar in the car, but it would have been much easier to do it with the bar removed. I had to use a dremel tool to cut the old brackets off.

Years of a leaking rack & pinion completely rotted away the right bushing.

I plan on transferring that kit to my S70 when I do the suspension overhaul on it.
      1998 V70R

1989 245 DL

thanks for the input sounds. good to me, can't believe they are non serviceable but oh well. hope I can get my sawsall in there

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

just found these on amazon look like a good option worth trying. I'm going to order them

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Suspens.../dp/B004ALK744

The kit I bought off amazon fit absolutely perfect I installed them yesterday and I can feel a difference in tightness/solidity up front. Like Matt said they were a major pain to get the old bushings off a sharp razor blade was the best way I found and a sawsall with along blade to cut the brackets in the car was not fun either. I do not recommend changing swaybar bushings unless you are already dropping the subframe for some other job...just not worth it my bushings weren't that bad and probably could have waited for another day.

this kit might be better with the grease fittings

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Suspens...pension++7%2F8

Update drove a bunch more today and holy crap the bushings made a BIG difference. I'd say they improved my cars ride as much as the new control arms I installed and definitely more than tie rods or end links did. car was so solid up to 90mph I looked at the speedo and surprised myself how fast I was going
      Last edited by flystagg; 07-26-2015 at 08:55 PM.

Good info, I just saved that for in the future. Mine are still like new, but obviously don't last the life of the car.
      98 V70R, Silver because it's the fastest & best handling color

Quote Originally Posted by flystagg View Post
      The kit I bought off amazon fit absolutely perfect I installed them yesterday and I can feel a difference in tightness/solidity up front. Like Matt said they were a major pain to get the old bushings off a sharp razor blade was the best way I found and a sawsall with along blade to cut the brackets in the car was not fun either. I do not recommend changing swaybar bushings unless you are already dropping the subframe for some other job...just not worth it my bushings weren't that bad and probably could have waited for another day.

Update drove a bunch more today and holy crap the bushings made a BIG difference. I'd say they improved my cars ride as much as the new control arms I installed and definitely more than tie rods or end links did. car was so solid up to 90mph I looked at the speedo and surprised myself how fast I was going

Im resurrecting an old post here, Im getting ready to do bushings on my sway bar, and I just want to confirm that the link you shared back in 2015 is still good. Are these the ones that you purchased and installed on your stock sway bar?
      https://www.amazon.com/Energy-Suspen...eed-convert-20

Looks like a 21mm bushing.. I think the stock bar is 20mm? How easy was it to get these back on the car? Did you take the whole subframe off or did you do it with the sway bar still attached?

Thanks,
      Currently:
      1984 Volvo 245DL - Tan/Brown, M46 W/OD, 15" Virgos, GT Flathood/8" Single Round Headlights, Euro Corner Lenses, Thule Roof Rack.
      1998 Volvo V70 - Blue/Black, Auto, Parts Car
      1999 Volvo V70R - Laser Blue/Black, Auto, 18" Pegs, ABM Projection Headlights, Slotted Disc Brakes, BSR Tune, K&N Cold Air, IPD Exhaust, Thule Roof Rack.
      2000 Volvo V70 XC - Silver/Tan, Auto, Project Car
      2007 Volvo S60R - Sapphire Metallic Black/Nordkap, M66, 18" Pegs, Full Sport Body Kit, CF Werks Carbon Fiber Spliter, Nav, Bluetooth, IPod Dock, 3M 35% Tint, IPD 3” DP, IPD Boost Gauge, Volvo/Thule Roof Rack.

Previously:
      1971 Volvo 142 S - Yellow/Grey, Auto, Daily Driver
      1972 Volvo 145 E - Yellow/Grey, Auto Project Car
      1974 Volvo 145 - Green/Brown, Auto, Project Car
      1975 Volvo 245 DL - Maroon/Maroon, M46, Part Out
      1976 Volvo 245 DL - Green/Brown, M46 W/OD, Project Car
      1979 Volvo 245 DL - Blue/Black, M46, Part Out
      1983 Volvo 244 T - Maroon/Tan, Auto, Daily Driver
      1990 Volvo 744 TI - White/Tan, Auto, Daily Driver
      1991 Volvo 244 DL - Gold/Tan, Auto, Project Car
      1997 Volvo 850 T5 - Black/Tan, Auto, Daily Driver
      1998 Volvo S70 GLT - Silver/Tan, Auto, Part Out
      1998 Volvo V70R - Saffron Metallic Pearl/Tan, Auto, Daily Driver
      1999 Volvo V70 AWD - Red/Tan, Auto, Project Car
      2000 Volvo C70 Convertible - Green/Tan, M56, Daily Driver
      2004 Volvo S60R - Titanium Grey/Atacama, M66, Part-Out
      2004 Volvo S60R - Titanium Grey/Gobi, M66, Project Car

Quote Originally Posted by flystagg View Post

Also, what year/model of Volvo did you install these on?
      Currently:
      1984 Volvo 245DL - Tan/Brown, M46 W/OD, 15" Virgos, GT Flathood/8" Single Round Headlights, Euro Corner Lenses, Thule Roof Rack.
      1998 Volvo V70 - Blue/Black, Auto, Parts Car
      1999 Volvo V70R - Laser Blue/Black, Auto, 18" Pegs, ABM Projection Headlights, Slotted Disc Brakes, BSR Tune, K&N Cold Air, IPD Exhaust, Thule Roof Rack.
      2000 Volvo V70 XC - Silver/Tan, Auto, Project Car
      2007 Volvo S60R - Sapphire Metallic Black/Nordkap, M66, 18" Pegs, Full Sport Body Kit, CF Werks Carbon Fiber Spliter, Nav, Bluetooth, IPod Dock, 3M 35% Tint, IPD 3” DP, IPD Boost Gauge, Volvo/Thule Roof Rack.

Previously:
      1971 Volvo 142 S - Yellow/Grey, Auto, Daily Driver
      1972 Volvo 145 E - Yellow/Grey, Auto Project Car
      1974 Volvo 145 - Green/Brown, Auto, Project Car
      1975 Volvo 245 DL - Maroon/Maroon, M46, Part Out
      1976 Volvo 245 DL - Green/Brown, M46 W/OD, Project Car
      1979 Volvo 245 DL - Blue/Black, M46, Part Out
      1983 Volvo 244 T - Maroon/Tan, Auto, Daily Driver
      1990 Volvo 744 TI - White/Tan, Auto, Daily Driver
      1991 Volvo 244 DL - Gold/Tan, Auto, Project Car
      1997 Volvo 850 T5 - Black/Tan, Auto, Daily Driver
      1998 Volvo S70 GLT - Silver/Tan, Auto, Part Out