"Handbrake Mod" ??? - Has anyone heard of this?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 19 of 19
    1. #1
      Global Moderator R-Pow3R3d's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Posts
      8,457

      Question "Handbrake Mod" ??? - Has anyone heard of this?

      Through an unrelated post someone linked a build thread from a UK VR. In his build thread he mentioned a "Handbrake Mod". Someone else asked the question that came to my mind when I saw the words "Handbrake Mod".

      "What's this?"

      Well, apparently it is this:
      Adding Rear Adjustment to Handbrake
      "Remove item 15 and replace with 17 and 18. Stops the vehicle 'roll back' experienced on P2 cars with stock hand brake."
      "The parts are 17 & 18 in the diagram and the part numbers are 30793438 for the 'claw' and 30793437 for the 'adjusting link'. You need two of each."

      From:
      http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...l=1#post762684

      Has anyone heard of this or done this?
      Last edited by R-Pow3R3d; 07-19-2015 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Replaced Photobucket Link
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement - Y-Pipe Replacement
      1990 745 Turbo Intercooler White/Beige
      2007 XC70
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009 - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info - SR/VR Failing Throttle Body - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      Current Non-Volvo: 2007 VTX 1800 F3, 2002 VT750DC
      Previous: 2006 S60R, 2004 V70R MT 68k

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Moderator MvI_S60R's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2013
      Location
      Stow, OH
      Posts
      2,504
      Yes if #15 was replaced it would help control the distance between the shoe and the drum surface. I had to take my ebrakes apart and actuallt grind down #15 because it was making the shoe grind the drum. An absolute crazy amount of trial and error will be needed to get it perfect though
      // '06 S60R M66 | Magic Blue | 19" FC04A's | KW V2 | Stage 2.25 | Literally all the mods | MY BUILD THREAD
      /// '20 V90 R-design | Bursting Blue | Advanced | 4C Air

    4. #3
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2015
      Location
      UK ,, Devon
      Posts
      139
      Quote Originally Posted by R-Pow3R3d View Post
      Through an unrelated post someone linked a build thread from a UK VR. In his build thread he mentioned a "Handbrake Mod". Someone else asked the question that came to my mind when I saw the words "Handbrake Mod".

      "What's this?"

      Well, apparently it is this:
      Adding Rear Adjustment to Handbrake
      "Remove item 15 and replace with 17 and 18. Stops the vehicle 'roll back' experienced on P2 cars with stock hand brake."
      "The parts are 17 & 18 in the diagram and the part numbers are 30793438 for the 'claw' and 30793437 for the 'adjusting link'. You need two of each."

      From:
      http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...l=1#post762684

      Has anyone heard of this or done this?
      This is when I did my car.

      http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...l=1#post722543

      Last edited by harveys; 07-19-2015 at 08:19 AM.

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4

    7. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2015
      Location
      UK ,, Devon
      Posts
      139
      Quote Originally Posted by StealthyS60R View Post
      I could see this being a fix for people who want to reuse worn out brake drum/disks, but I'd just get a new pair of rear rotors instead.
      That is what I did too. New shoes & springs & discs.





      I know a good number of P2 owners that have done this it stops the roll back when you apply it.

    8. #6
      Global Moderator R-Pow3R3d's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Posts
      8,457
      Quote Originally Posted by StealthyS60R View Post
      I could see this being a fix for people who want to reuse worn out brake drum/disks, but I'd just get a new pair of rear rotors instead.
      From t5d5:
      "I have bitterly moaned about the **** P2 handbrakes, their poor performance and design. The lack of adjustment in the hub just adds insult to injury. I have fitted brand new volvo cables and brand new volvo shoes and have used up 90% of the adjustment before any wear to the shoes!"

      Between the reports of taking away rollback and not using up all the adjustment in the handle, this seems (from someone who has only had dealers replace their parking brake shoes) that it could be a good addition or at least a case of:

      2007 XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement - Y-Pipe Replacement
      1990 745 Turbo Intercooler White/Beige
      2007 XC70
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009 - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info - SR/VR Failing Throttle Body - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      Current Non-Volvo: 2007 VTX 1800 F3, 2002 VT750DC
      Previous: 2006 S60R, 2004 V70R MT 68k

    9. #7
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2009
      Posts
      849
      I used the star wheel adjuster (17&18) an it fixes the problem. Very easy to do when replacing the pbrake shoes. No problems in five years. A couple adjustments from time to time and this is it.

    10. #8
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2012
      Posts
      304
      Just as an FYI, when I redid the rear brakes, including the parking brakes, it worked like crap. I let the emergency brake shoes bed a bit by dragging in on the freeway for a couple of minutes. Also with regular use, it worked fine after a couple of weeks. My question is, why do people need additional braking grip for parking brake?
      2004 V70R M66 Black Sapphire Metallic, Nordkap
      - Bone stock except Lloyd All Weather mats, 3rd Row Seat Conversion & Euro Rails

    11. #9
      Member StealthyS60R's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2010
      Location
      Trinidad, CO
      Posts
      8,055
      A lot of it depends on where you live. When I lived in the flat swamp of FL I could get away with a barely operating parking break. Now that I live in CO and often haul a trailer around I need the extra bite.

    12. #10
      Junior Member rhmorris's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2011
      Location
      Twin Cities, MN
      Posts
      474
      Quote Originally Posted by J5T View Post
      I used the star wheel adjuster (17&18) an it fixes the problem. Very easy to do when replacing the pbrake shoes. No problems in five years. A couple adjustments from time to time and this is it.
      Yep, that's the solution GM, Ford, and Chrysler used for thirty years starting around 1955...

    13. #11
      Member Antherzoll's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2013
      Location
      Toronto
      Posts
      5,045


      need more



      to get it to set properly!

      Mine grabs well, but the one thing I can't stand is the rattling the happens over potholes no matter how I have it adjusted. If I have it set to one click it's fine, but then I'm draging my ass around. Thinking these might do the trick, thanks for the post!
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 07-22-2015 at 08:47 PM.
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 145k mi

    14. #12
      Moderator MvI_S60R's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2013
      Location
      Stow, OH
      Posts
      2,504
      Yea I was working on my friends Nissan Altima and I noticed the same adjuster you guys are describing here. Seems like that #15 is neanderthall tech
      // '06 S60R M66 | Magic Blue | 19" FC04A's | KW V2 | Stage 2.25 | Literally all the mods | MY BUILD THREAD
      /// '20 V90 R-design | Bursting Blue | Advanced | 4C Air

    15. #13
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2012
      Posts
      304
      Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post


      need more



      to get it to set properly!

      Mine grabs well, but the one thing I can't stand is the rattling the happens over potholes no matter how I have it adjusted. If I have it set to one click it's fine, but then I'm draging my ass around. Thinking these might do the trick, thanks for the post!
      Mine did that after I changed my shoes without changing the hardware. I was irritated and redid it with new springs and got rid of the rattling.
      2004 V70R M66 Black Sapphire Metallic, Nordkap
      - Bone stock except Lloyd All Weather mats, 3rd Row Seat Conversion & Euro Rails

    16. #14
      Member StealthyS60R's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2010
      Location
      Trinidad, CO
      Posts
      8,055
      Quote Originally Posted by rhmorris View Post
      Yep, that's the solution GM, Ford, and Chrysler used for thirty years starting around 1955...
      The difference is those systems included hardware that automatically adjusted this out, while this you need to manually tweak this setup to get it right, lol.

    17. #15
      Junior Member tommywithaR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2016
      Location
      the bay
      Posts
      150
      yep i did that and its the best the dealer told me i have to have the cable change and want some pretty big money . i took the breaks apart about 3 time befor my step dad found the kit on carid and its the i bought two by accident thought one for each side but nope only needed one. i still have the kit if any one needs its bran new still sealed 16.25 plus shipping i paired for it best offer or you can get it here https://www.carid.com/carlson/rear-p...mpn-17437.html when right in to my 04vr if your ebrake don't get tight its what you need.
      Last edited by tommywithaR; 11-14-2016 at 02:53 PM.

    18. #16
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Posts
      75
      I believe the part number is 30793437. The tunnel center console expansion adjuster, the one that's hidden, just doesn't do the trick either. My dealer was "unaware" of the adjuster as well,..... IMO another Volvo cover-up, what a shame,...... So much good to these vehicles and they screw up parking brakes by an oversight in the parts consolidation and numbering process. Even with all new cables, 2nd generation XC90 modifications, new shoes and new rotors your average XC90 won't pass an MOT or inspection. And Volvo keeps quiet on the subject???????

    19. #17
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Posts
      75
      Quote Originally Posted by tommywithaR View Post
      yep i did that and its the best the dealer told me i have to have the cable change and want some pretty big money . i took the breaks apart about 3 time befor my step dad found the kit on carid and its the i bought two by accident thought one for each side but nope only needed one. i still have the kit if any one needs its bran new still sealed 16.25 plus shipping i paired for it best offer or you can get it here https://www.carid.com/carlson/rear-p...mpn-17437.html when right in to my 04vr if your ebrake don't get tight its what you need.


      A cable change doesn't fix the issue. And like I mentioned many dealers are unaware of the star adjuster. Cables just don't stretch all that much. The real issue isn't making the cables or foot pedals tighter or shorter the issue is the fact that the eccentric cam that actuates the parking brake is and or can only mooove the shoes so much. IF the shoos are too far away from the drum, tightening the cable is a waste of time. Volvo knows this, which is why they came out with the fix. Volvo consolidated shoes and rotors when they changed all their numerous parts and horrid ordering system. The original XC90 shoes and drums were dropped so they could reduce the number of parts in the system and use a common part for many models. Sometimes close counts but this time late model XC90 owners are getting the shaft.

    20. #18
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Posts
      75
      Quote Originally Posted by hxgaser View Post
      Just as an FYI, when I redid the rear brakes, including the parking brakes, it worked like crap. I let the emergency brake shoes bed a bit by dragging in on the freeway for a couple of minutes. Also with regular use, it worked fine after a couple of weeks. My question is, why do people need additional braking grip for parking brake?
      150 hundred thousand XC90 owners failing the MOT is a good reason , I think.

    21. #19
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Posts
      75
      Quote Originally Posted by MvI_S60R View Post
      Yea I was working on my friends Nissan Altima and I noticed the same adjuster you guys are describing here. Seems like that #15 is neanderthall tech
      Before they came out with 30793437, aka "the spacer" we were filling in the middle section of that Neanderthal tech with about an 1/8 inch of weld and then doing the trial and error thing to get new parts all around to actually work. Filling in part 15 with a little weld still works the best IMO, but you need a welder, and a grinder and some patience to get a snug fit. BTW yo still need to adjust the new adjuster as well and remember to first loosen the hidden expansion adjuster in the tunnel and then re expand the hidden adjuster when your all done. I personally put the shoes on till it's a real tight fit. And yes the shoes will smell for a few miles, THEY ARE NOT PERFECTLY ROUND BTW. Too loose and your back to square one with parking brakes that will not work if ever you need them most.

    22. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements