2016 XC90 Load Bars? - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      Since the sunroof opens up and then back, wouldn't the sunroof hit these crossbars and break? Or are any of these cross bars tall enough so that the sunroof slides below them cleanly?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by theclutch View Post
      Since the sunroof opens up and then back, wouldn't the sunroof hit these crossbars and break? Or are any of these cross bars tall enough so that the sunroof slides below them cleanly?
      They are tall enough.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by peteyswift View Post
      Here is the Thule Aeroblade 7503 on my Momentum.

Are these L or XL? Does the sunroof hits the bars when open?

Thanks!

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I have the OEM ones (which are Thule) that look exactly like the above and the sunroof can open/close with them installed. The glass does not hit the bars. When I did my sunroof test, I had my bars installed just behind the front roof rail feet (further forward than the pic above). As for sizing, the Thule site says you need a L for the 2016 XC90 with raised roof rails. Not sure of the size for the flush rails.

The OEM ones come with the rubber straps with only one sizing hole (vs Thule which probably come with 4 sizing holes). The OEM ones are debadged Thule ones as pictured above and the only evidence that they are Thule are under the foot cover lid where it's got 'Thule' molded into the plastic.

In the US, the OEM roof rack is cheaper than the Thule ones even though they are the exact same rack. They come with the locks/keys too. It's a no brainer to get the OEM ones. Unless you want to pay the premium of having the word "Thule" printed four times on the roof rack feet.
      2016 XC90 T6 Momentum+ | Vision Package | Polestar | Crystal White Metallic/Charcoal interior (light beige headliner) - first Volvo and loving it!
      3M Driver/Passenger tint, clear paint protection film (full hood + front), Weather Tech mats (all 3 rows), OEM: 3 piece cargo tray, tow hitch, rear bumper strip, mud flaps, low profile roof rack

Quick question: how long does it take to attach/detach the load bars?
      2017 T5 Momentum+, Osmium Gray, Amber Leather, B&W, Vision.
      2005 Tacoma S5 4x4, Silver, 130K miles strong.

Quote Originally Posted by badcyclist View Post
      Quick question: how long does it take to attach/detach the load bars?
      First time, it may take you 5-7 min. Subsequent times, under 5 minutes.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

Thank you, GV.... I know that you have said in the past that they do not appreciably add to wind noise in the cabin, which is also important. If I decide to get a pair, I know that I don't want to leave them on all the time, so reasonably quick pop-on, pop-off is important.
      2017 T5 Momentum+, Osmium Gray, Amber Leather, B&W, Vision.
      2005 Tacoma S5 4x4, Silver, 130K miles strong.

If it matters, it's much quicker to remove them than to install them due to the straight allen key tool. Tightening requires 1/4 turn at a time (or however much you can do in one wrist turn)...versus loosening where once it's partly loosened, you can twirl the allen key between two hands and loosen it 2-3 times faster.
      2016 XC90 T6 Momentum+ | Vision Package | Polestar | Crystal White Metallic/Charcoal interior (light beige headliner) - first Volvo and loving it!
      3M Driver/Passenger tint, clear paint protection film (full hood + front), Weather Tech mats (all 3 rows), OEM: 3 piece cargo tray, tow hitch, rear bumper strip, mud flaps, low profile roof rack

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleorchid View Post
      If it matters, it's much quicker to remove them than to install them due to the straight allen key tool. Tightening requires 1/4 turn at a time (or however much you can do in one wrist turn)...versus loosening where once it's partly loosened, you can twirl the allen key between two hands and loosen it 2-3 times faster.
      Very true. However, once you install and remove 2-3 times, you get the hang of it. You will also know where to place them (in their recommended positions) to ensure no buffeting occurs.

EDIT: The straight allen wrench is only required the first time, when you will have to determine where the clamps will go. Once you establish that position, to install and remove the load bars you just need the key to lock/unlock.
      Last edited by GrecianVolvo; 10-25-2016 at 09:19 PM.

Where are the recommended positions for the load bars?

Quote Originally Posted by peteyswift View Post
      Where are the recommended positions for the load bars?
      Slightly ahead of the "B" and "C" pillars. There should be a clearance of at least 700mm - 800mm between the front and rear load bars (about 27.5" t0 31.5").

Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      EDIT: The straight allen wrench is only required the first time, when you will have to determine where the clamps will go. Once you establish that position, to install and remove the load bars you just need the key to lock/unlock.
      GrecianVolvo - Can you explain this? The allen key is used to tighten/loosen the clamps and the rubber straps. What do you mean once the position is established, you only need the key to lock/unlock? Once you unlock the cover, how do you undo the rubber strap without the allen key? Am I missing a magic step?

It's not a key, it's a twist knob that stays on the rack at all times. The key just opens the cover.
      2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription, Osmium Grey, Convenience, Vision, B&W, Air Susp, 22s
      2010 Volvo XC60 R-Design, Sapphire Black, Climate, Convenience, Multimedia
      2014 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite, White Diamond Pearl (Sold)
      2004 Acura TSX, Satin Silver, 6MT, Nav (Sold)
      2006 Audi A3, Silver, Climate, Premium Pkg, Convenience, Nav, Bose, Open Sky (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Kighter View Post
      It's not a key, it's a twist knob that stays on the rack at all times. The key just opens the cover.
      Where is the twist knob that is on the rack at all times? Do you have a pic of it?

http://accessories.volvocars.com/Gui...d/31408919.pdf
      Here are the instructions for my roof rack. Pg 11 shows the allen key to tighten, pg 12 shows the locking key for installation.
      Then on pg 13 for removing the roof rack, it only shows the locking key and then the allen key to loosen.

Ahh ok that's the rack for momentum rails. Sorry if I confused the issue. The rails for inscription are different. The tower has a knob under the cover that stays permanently.
      2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription, Osmium Grey, Convenience, Vision, B&W, Air Susp, 22s
      2010 Volvo XC60 R-Design, Sapphire Black, Climate, Convenience, Multimedia
      2014 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite, White Diamond Pearl (Sold)
      2004 Acura TSX, Satin Silver, 6MT, Nav (Sold)
      2006 Audi A3, Silver, Climate, Premium Pkg, Convenience, Nav, Bose, Open Sky (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Kighter View Post
      Ahh ok that's the rack for momentum rails. Sorry if I confused the issue. The rails for inscription are different. The tower has a knob under the cover that stays permanently.
      Phew! Thanks! I thought I was going crazy in not seeing a permanent knob on my roof rack.

So:
      If you have raised rails (e.g. the kind in post #26), then your roof rack needs an allen key to both install/remove the rack. Sunroof is not impeded by the installed rack (I have this rack).
      If you have the flush rails (e.g. the kind in posts #54 & #56), then the rack tower has a built in knob that facilitates installation/removal after the initial setup. Sunroof is also not impeded by the installed rack.
      Last edited by Purpleorchid; 10-27-2016 at 10:19 AM.

I have the OEM ones (which are Thule) that look exactly like the above and the sunroof can open/close with them installed. The glass does not hit the bars. When I did my sunroof test, I had my bars installed just behind the front roof rail feet (further forward than the pic above). As for sizing, the Thule site says you need a L for the 2016 XC90 with raised roof rails. Not sure of the size for the flush rails.

The OEM ones come with the rubber straps with only one sizing hole (vs Thule which probably come with 4 sizing holes). The OEM ones are debadged Thule ones as pictured above and the only evidence that they are Thule are under the foot cover lid where it's got 'Thule' molded into the plastic.

In the US, the OEM roof rack is cheaper than the Thule ones even though they are the exact same rack. They come with the locks/keys too. It's a no brainer to get the OEM ones. Unless you want to pay the premium of having the word "Thule" printed four times on the roof rack feet.
      Thank you so much! Last Friday I ordered my XC90 and to add the load bars to my momentum, was only $200! Thanks again, it is really exciting coming from a smaller vehicle to this immaculate conception! lol Coming from VW/Audis I really hope to learn more about Volvos in this community!

true

I just opened on the box on my load bars for my T6M+ and can confirm they definitely say Thule on the inner molded plastic area. They look exactly like the Aeroblade 7503 from peteyswift.

Btw, I am selling my load bars for the Momentum rails as I just changed to an Inscription T8. Please pm me if anyone is interested in a good deal .

The Volvo ones are rebranded Thule ones.

The different height of load bars comes from the two types as shown in post #48. One has separate feet and crossbars that allow you to use the rack with different cars (the crossbars will stick out of the feet at the sides) = $499.85. These crossbars are higher off the roof of the car.

The other kind has the feet and crossbars attached together where they look like one piece (the crossbars do not stick out at the sides) and are more limited in cars you can share the rack with = $539.85. These crossbars are much closer to the roof of the car and look more sleek/lower profile.

Both styles are available for both types of rails: flush or raised. The only difference would be which feet you need to get for your rails. The crossbar length would be either 53" inches for the separate feet way or 36" for the sleeker way (since the integrated feet take up more usable crossbar space). At least that is all the research I have done so far. I still need to decide which way to go.

Thanks for the confirmation that the roofboxes have no issue with the lower profile rack. That makes my decision a little harder since now I know that either type will work fine.
      I had thought the OEM cost was per bar (I seem to recall seeing the accessories price sheet from my dealer say $400something for the roof rack, but I could be mistaken). If that $200something price is for both bars, then of course, it's a no brainer to get the OEM ones instead of the same ones with the word Thule printed on it.

And same with me, my crossbars will be off 99% of the time except for the 2 days a year that we might use it for the roofbox or oversized cargo.

Thanks for your posts on this. I just through the entire thread. Just wanted to double check on some things:

1) You said the sunrooof can open/close and not hit anything. How much leeway does it have? I am worried that once I install my box, then it might hit the clamps of the box.
      2) With just the roof rack and no other attachments (no box, no bike rack, just the bars), there's no wind noise? I currently have the square bars which I've reused from car to car and they whistle like crazy such that I need to remove them after each use. With these Thule 7503/Volvo OEM, my plan is to set them and forget them assuming there's no noise. Can you confirm?

Lastly, I cannot believe how the Thule 7503 is $500 for the pair and the Volvo seems to be $225 for the pair for the same exact thing! Or is it?....

Thanks in advance!

We have both the Volvo rebranded Thule load bars and box. We don't have any clearance issue with the sunroof open with the box installed, I'd say we have about an inch or so clearance. (Sorry no pictures).

We leave the bars installed all year round and we don't hear any extra noise during daily city driving nor on highway speeds 80mph+. With the box, you'll hear noise from the box above 75mph.

I talked to my parts manager and the reason why the rebranded Volvo Thule products are so much cheaper is because Thule and Volvo have a deal where Volvo ships Thule's product worldwide on their ships or whatever mode of transport. In a way, if you get the Volvo rebranded Thule products, you are getting them at cost without the shipping.

Last edited by bluey83; 11-14-2019 at 12:44 PM.
      Xavier (Baby Carrier): 2018 Bursting Blue XC90 T6 R-Design with Vision, Climate w/ HUD, Convenience, B&W, 4C, Carbon with P* on 22"
      Sebastian 2.0 (Fun Mobil): 2015 Crystal White Pearl V60 R-Design Platinum with BLIS Pkg, Climate Pkg & Tech Pkg
      Sebastian 1.0 (Sold): 2012 Caspian Blue S60 T6 with ABL, BLIS & Rear Camera.

Quote Originally Posted by bluey83 View Post
      We have both the Volvo rebranded Thule load bars and box. We don't have any clearance issue with the sunroof open with the box installed, I'd say we have about an inch or so clearance. (Sorry no pictures).

We leave the bars installed all year round and we don't hear any extra noise during daily city driving nor on highway speeds 80mph+. With the box, you'll hear noise from the box above 75mph.

I talked to my parts manager and the reason why the rebranded Volvo Thule products are so much cheaper is because Thule and Volvo have a deal where Volvo ships Thule's product worldwide on their ships or whatever mode of transport. In a way, if you get the Volvo rebranded Thule products, you are getting them at cost without the shipping.
      Thanks bluey. You are showing pics for the "low roof rail" crossbars for the Inscription and R Design.

Kygydpg.jpg

I am wondering if the "high roof rail" crossbars on the Momentum make wind noise. I already have the Thule "square bars" which whistle like crazy. I only want to buy the high roof rail crossbars if they are quiet. Anyone else have experience with this? Thanks in advance...trying to make the purchase in time for Thanksgiving!!!

La37yGE.jpg

25. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3