2005 T5 battery trouble? heater trouble?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2005 T5 battery trouble? heater trouble?

Liking my $5300 T5 AWD so far, but unsurprisingly for a cheap, 10 year old European car, it isn't perfect.

recently, when my car has sat for a while (ie overnight) the battery sounds very weak while cranking over. But if I used the car and start it again, it sounds normal, and strong. I am assuming the battery is old and needs to be replaced. I figure if the alternator was going out there would be 1) a warning message and 2) the battery would have died on me.

Do I have to buy a special battery? Do I have to go to a dealer to have the battery synced?

My other issue is with the heater. I tested it and it blew normal air. I tested again later and it blew hot air for a second but then returned to cool air I also turned the heater on and grabbed the 2 hoses that go into the firewall. They were warm, but that may just be from the engine heat?

From what I read so far it seems there is an electronic door inside of the dash that controls the flow of hot air to the vents. Could someone please elaborate further? I am a n00b to Volvos.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

As far as the battery goes, it is likely that your battery is old and needs replacing. I replaced mine (after symptoms identical to yours) and I could not believe the difference. However it wouldn't hurt to do a voltage check of it off after running, off after sitting a while and while running. If your alternator was shot your car would simply not have a charged battery and would thus die/not turn over.

The climate control in these cars is a funny thing and if you don't know what you're doing can take some getting used to. Make sure you aren't pressing "Auto Climate" by mistake, and that when you turn it on and off it remains in the exact same settings. I have never had an issue with mine, however, so it is better than another user provide you with a definite answer on this one.

Welcome and good luck!
      2005 S40 T5 FWD
      2004 Kawasaki Z1000

Re battery replacement, see this thread in the sticky: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?143640
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

This morning I had to take my Trans Am to work because my S40 would barely start, and then die after 5-10 seconds along with an "immobilizer" warning light Hope this is just a symptom of a crap battery (i ordered the right one yesterday).

6. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements