Oil change
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: Oil change

Oil change

My car is due for a oil change. I've never had a car with a cartridge filter. Does it differ any then a your "normal " car? Do I need to use the tool to take off the filter or can I use the band type filter wrench? Or a different tool that is more available at the local auto store?

Thanks!
      Matt

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

You need this tool or similar.

http://www.amazon.com/CTA-2489-86-Mi...+filter+wrench

They should have something available at the parts store but not always.

Band type will most likely not work and may damage the cartridge.

You will also need a new crush washer for the drain plug.
      David - '01 S60 T5 GT 205K+ miles OWNED SINCE DAY ONE - Bilstein Sport + TME, ipd sway bar + endlinks, UR chassis braces (upper F+R), Powerslot /Akebono pads, Snabb Intake, iMIV Original engine, transmission replaced at 78k miles
      Wife -'13 C30 T5 R-Design 63k+ miles Dad - '98 S70 T5 205k + miles, Bilstein TCs, IPD HD rear springs, SAS delete Mom -'10 S80 V8 Executive Sis - '02 S80 T6 Backup car -'13 S60 T5 (Not as fun as my '01)
      Past
      '95 850 '92 960

I've used a band type but it's hard to get in there, and I eventually caved and bought the right tool. I was always worried about cracking it, so much that I bought a spare just in case.
      2003 C70 T5M Convertible - Eibachs, Koni FSDs, Enkei RSF5s, OBX downpipe, Snabb intake, RIP kit, & drop-in intercooler, Quaife LSD, 19T, Green Giants, 22 psi Hilton tune.
      2006 V70 2.5T - Ice White - Oak Arena, (almost) bone stock daily driver.
      1966 122s - Collectible project, restoration and many mods on the way.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD - Daughter's first car. No mods unless she does 'em herself.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

With the cartridge type, make sure you seat the filter in the bottom correctly before screwing it back on. There is an o ring on the canister, make sure that is replaced or not creaked.
      Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy ****, what a ride!"

Presently taking a ride thru the Black Forest.

2002 V70 T5a 194k RTI/Hilton Stage 1/336mm brakes/Bilstein B8s/H&R springs
      2002 V70 NA 278k HU-803/T5 suspension/305mm brakes
      2003 V70 T5m 251k Hilton Stage 2/Delrin subframe bushings/R front sway bar/R manifold/Jetex catback/Re-Volv DP/Simota CCI
      2013 S60 T6 R-Design 69k IPD RSB

What do you guys recommend for oil? I've always had the oil changes done at the dealership, but I just moved and the closest one if an hour away. My car has 145,xxx and has never run synthetic that I know of.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SofisticatdIgnorance View Post
      What do you guys recommend for oil? I've always had the oil changes done at the dealership, but I just moved and the closest one if an hour away. My car has 145,xxx and has never run synthetic that I know of.

Thanks
      I recommend full synthetic. Personally I don't care what brand it is and even though your car says it wants Castrol, I doubt it really cares what brand you use either. And from now on, don't go past 5K between changes. Your PCV will thank you and you'll appreciate not spending $400 to replace it too frequently.
      2004 V70 T5M: Platinum Green Bob Villa mod | boost gauge | poly mounts | Snabb intake | IPD sways | Koni yellow struts | KYB monotube shocks http://imgur.com/a/0MRgX
      2005 Mazda6 Sportwagon in progress...
      2012 Ford Flex Limited

2001 Subaru Outback H6 L.L.Bean/2000 Honda Odyssey EX recently passed (together!)

Quote Originally Posted by sweedishs60 View Post
      My car is due for a oil change. I've never had a car with a cartridge filter. Does it differ any then a your "normal " car? Do I need to use the tool to take off the filter or can I use the band type filter wrench? Or a different tool that is more available at the local auto store?

Thanks!
      Matt
      I agree with all the above, another tip I always follow is to pre fill the cup with the filter securely fitted with oil a friend said when the starting it wit a dry filter may cause damage to the turbo during the time it takes to filter through properly, could be an old housewifes tale but I always do it. And 25Nm when tightening it should prob. Be Enough also make sure the O-ring doesn't get caught .while twisting do as much by hand as possible. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all for your replies. Is the drain plug and filter pretty accessible? I am used to older cars and trucks where everything is out in the open.

Very easy to get at the plug and filter. Only problem might be ground clearance. I do mine on ramps.
      As for oil, Walmart and Home Depot have Mobile 1 at $25 for a 5 quart jug. Also thru Oct there is a M1 rebate of $15.
      Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy ****, what a ride!"

Presently taking a ride thru the Black Forest.

There may be a splash shield in place under the car. It's a big piece of black plastic held in by 5 or 6 12 mm bolts. Once you remove that everything is very easily accessible.
      David - '01 S60 T5 GT 205K+ miles OWNED SINCE DAY ONE - Bilstein Sport + TME, ipd sway bar + endlinks, UR chassis braces (upper F+R), Powerslot /Akebono pads, Snabb Intake, iMIV Original engine, transmission replaced at 78k miles
      Wife -'13 C30 T5 R-Design 63k+ miles Dad - '98 S70 T5 205k + miles, Bilstein TCs, IPD HD rear springs, SAS delete Mom -'10 S80 V8 Executive Sis - '02 S80 T6 Backup car -'13 S60 T5 (Not as fun as my '01)
      Past
      '95 850 '92 960

Cool, thanks everyone! Is there such thing as a FSM for these cars? Or is that too old school?

Quote Originally Posted by thaxman View Post
      I recommend full synthetic. Personally I don't care what brand it is and even though your car says it wants Castrol, I doubt it really cares what brand you use either. And from now on, don't go past 5K between changes. Your PCV will thank you and you'll appreciate not spending $400 to replace it too frequently.
      What is everyone running for weight. I see a lot are running 5W-40 and 5W-30, but I also see some 0W. FYI I live in New England.

I run 5W-30 Mobil 1 Extended Performance.
      Past
      '95 850 '92 960

Quote Originally Posted by Our R View Post
      Very easy to get at the plug and filter. Only problem might be ground clearance. I do mine on ramps.
      As for oil, Walmart and Home Depot have Mobile 1 at $25 for a 5 quart jug. Also thru Oct there is a M1 rebate of $15.
      Remember, you need almost 6 (SIX) quarts of engine oil, so you'll either have to buy an expensive single or have lots left over for the next oil change.
      2004 V70 T5M: Platinum Green Bob Villa mod | boost gauge | poly mounts | Snabb intake | IPD sways | Koni yellow struts | KYB monotube shocks http://imgur.com/a/0MRgX
      2012 Ford Flex Limited

2001 Subaru Outback H6 L.L.Bean/2000 Honda Odyssey EX recently passed (together!)

Quote Originally Posted by SofisticatdIgnorance View Post
      What is everyone running for weight. I see a lot are running 5W-40 and 5W-30, but I also see some 0W. FYI I live in New England.
      5W30 even out here in the hot and dry. And my PCV looked spectacular at 130K.
      2012 Ford Flex Limited

The links to the tool have already been posted.
      I run Mobil 1 full synthetic, 10-40 and change it every 10K miles. I did the PCV at 110K miles and it was clean, but I think that's because the previous owner had an 80 mile round-trip commute and was insane (changed oil every 3K miles!).
      After oil analysis, my oil is perfectly fine and good for more than 10K, but given turbo and PCV, I think 10K is enough.

I keep a spare oil filter housing on hand in case I run into an issue with the housing.

First Oil Change

Quote Originally Posted by T501 View Post
      You need this tool or similar.

http://www.amazon.com/CTA-2489-86-Mi...+filter+wrench

They should have something available at the parts store but not always.

Band type will most likely not work and may damage the cartridge.

You will also need a new crush washer for the drain plug.
      Stuck at home, changing oil for the first time, always had it changed at the dealer. I could not get the filter off, none of my oil filter wrench worked. I ordered a 86mm 16 flutes wrench off Ebay which took 3 weeks to deliver. The proper oil filter wrench made it easy to remove the oil filter.
      Now since it had been 3 weeks since the oil was drained, I did not remembering seeing a washer on the oil drain plug. Of course, none of the oil drain plug washers I have at home fits the current plug. As best as I can tell, the dealer did not use a washer on the last oil change. Is it possible that the washer is stuck on the hole or is one not necessary? I already installed the drain plug and it felt tight but I have not filled it with any oil.
      Last edited by molans60; 05-01-2020 at 02:03 PM.

volvo # 977751. Copper or Aluminum washer will work. Even a plastic/vinyl type would suffice, but Aluminum is best IMO. They will sometimes stick to the pan and a little pick you can get it off. And yes a washer is required. Anything worth doing, is worth doing right the first time.
      Last edited by ImportService; 05-01-2020 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ImportService View Post
      volvo # 977751. Copper or Aluminum washer will work. Even a plastic/vinyl type would suffice, but Aluminum is best IMO. They will sometimes stick to the pan and a little pick you can get it off. And yes a washer is required. Anything worth doing, is worth doing right the first time.
      You are right, aluminum washer was stuck in the drain hole. Thanks.

I am a big fan of using a Fumoto valve instead of a drain plug. Easy no mess draining and no worry about those pan threads.Be careful where you put the O ring seal on the filter housing! It goes into the 2nd groove not the bottom one. Look closely at it and you will see a relief on the correct groove.

25. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements