Polestar Suspension Adjustment Procedure - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Your pictures aren't working.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks. I noticed in my initial post and I edited the post. It may have not updated yet after the edit. They seems to be working for me after hosting on photobucket. I guess you can't host things on Google Drive.

Edit: I guess photobucket isn't a great place to host pictures any more. I'm putting the google drive links back until I host them elsewhere
      Last edited by Str8; 10-04-2017 at 02:07 AM.

Thanks @Str8 for the write up and pics!

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

This is what Polestar told me on Facebook:

We no longer offer the adjustment tool. Dealers/customers prefer to adjust the dampers by hand/flat screwdriver. Best regards, Polestar
      Looking at all the pictures of the golden knobs here, I'm wondering how they could be adjusted with a flat screwdriver =)
      Does anyone know whether the latest models (MY18 at least) to have knobs with slots?

I haven't had a look at mine yet...

Quote Originally Posted by wschlich View Post
      This is what Polestar told me on Facebook:

Looking at all the pictures of the golden knobs here, I'm wondering how they could be adjusted with a flat screwdriver =)
      Does anyone know whether the latest models (MY18 at least) to have knobs with slots?

I haven't had a look at mine yet...
      You just turn them with your hands. No tool needed. They are not tight at all.
      Current: 2015.5 V60 Polestar Matte Gunpowder #50
      Past: 2008 Subaru Legacy GT
      Family: 1981 Volvo 240 Turbo / 2015.5 XC60 Ocean Race Edition

Photo Blog: http://p50gt.kinja.com/ Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p50gt/

I have adjusted the dampers by hand last week, when I was at the dealer. MY18 doesn't have slotted knobs (surprise, surprise), so adjusting them with a flat screwdrivers was nonsense (what's going on at @Polestar?).
      Front adjustment by hand is fairly easy, so that's ok.
      Rear adjustment is a pain in the ass. I managed to turn the knobs through the latch cover holes with two fingers (middle and index finger) from the side of the knob, but it's very difficult to feel the clicks that way. Also, it's a bit painful because the hole is a bit too small.
      I'm now going to try to install the FPSPËC ÖHLINS DFV REMOTE DAMPER ADJUSTERS by SakeBomb Garage for easier adjustment:
      http://www.sakebombgarage.com/fpspec...per-adjusters/
      https://www.s2ki.com/forums/sponsor-...p-buy-1172056/

Quote Originally Posted by wschlich View Post
      I have adjusted the dampers by hand last week, when I was at the dealer. MY18 doesn't have slotted knobs (surprise, surprise), so adjusting them with a flat screwdrivers was nonsense (what's going on at @Polestar?).
      Front adjustment by hand is fairly easy, so that's ok.
      Rear adjustment is a pain in the ass. I managed to turn the knobs through the latch cover holes with two fingers (middle and index finger) from the side of the knob, but it's very difficult to feel the clicks that way. Also, it's a bit painful because the hole is a bit too small.
      I'm now going to try to install the FPSPËC ÖHLINS DFV REMOTE DAMPER ADJUSTERS by SakeBomb Garage for easier adjustment:
      http://www.sakebombgarage.com/fpspec...per-adjusters/
      https://www.s2ki.com/forums/sponsor-...p-buy-1172056/
      Please keep us informed as it looks really interesting.

I am definitely buying and installing these

I have ordered a prototype set with 40cm wires from SakeBomb Garage to see whether I can fit it (at all, regarding the knobs, and nicely, regarding the extension knob placement).

Interesting is what Polestar told me on Facebook:

Actually, the comeback of this tool is currently being discussed, and we will update you as soon as we know more.

It seems like a great idea instead of having to squeeze your fingers in to adjust. Let us know how it works out!

+1 very interested how it works out!?
      If You will have it, please post some photos about installation and final looks as well!
      Thanks!
      Current: Volvo V60 Polestar 2016.10. Rebel Blue
      Past: 2016.06. BMW M235i (F22) Cabriolet
      2015.05. A45 AMG "Black Widow"
      Subaru Impreza STi MY'06 EU EJ257
      Peugeot 206 RC177

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/silurd77/

Installed on our s60. I will write up a walkthrough when my time is less filled with a needy baby.
      Everything works very well so far. I'm quite happy with it.

Wow those look very clean! Please let us know your recommendations for the install when you have the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Str8 View Post
      Installed on our s60. I will write up a walkthrough when my time is less filled with a needy baby.
      Everything works very well so far. I'm quite happy with it.
      Cool! I'm not yet done with installation in my V60 :/
      What's your judgement on adjustment click feedback using the extenders?

Quote Originally Posted by tungsten View Post
      Cool! I'm not yet done with installation in my V60 :/
      What's your judgement on adjustment click feedback using the extenders?
      You can still feel the clicks and hear them when using the extender. It is a little bit more difficult than before, but if you run the dampers from tight and untighten a few times, you will start getting the hang of it. When the dampers are in the firmest setting, the first click can feel a bit sticky through the extender. I can't think of any other negatives on feedback you get while turning the extender knob.

If I would change anything, I would have made the hole for the knobs further up in the trunk liner. The extensions are quite long, so the cable behind the trunk liner is quite bent. It doesn't seem to affect the usage of the extenders at all though.

I chose that spot in the trunk because I thought it would be out of the way of any large object being slid into the back. I didn't want to accidentally smash some long ikea box into the knobs and break them. In retrospect, I like the placement. Although I wouldn't be too worried about breaking them. They seem very sturdy.

Still have to do that write up for the installation. I didn't take any pictures, so I'm debating taking everything apart or grabbing some pictures of the product and photoshopping.

@Str8: Thanks for your feedback, Alexandros! Sounds good!

I'll have mine installed in my V60 at the end of next week. Unfortunately, the length of the extenders might be a little issue. When I did the rule of thumb estimation regarding the approximately needed length, I didn't take the angle of the damper adjustment knobs into account (they lean towards the front of the car), so the 40cm that I got might be just a little bit too short (maybe they'd need to be 5cm longer). We'll see next Friday.

This is my idea so far for the positioning of the extender knob (holes to be drilled):

Which length are the extenders you bought from Heath/Sakebomb?
      Last edited by tungsten; 01-18-2018 at 11:19 AM.
      Volvo V60 Polestar MY2018 Cyan Racing Blue

Which length are the extenders you bought from Heath/Sakebomb?
      I didn't realize that they had multiple lengths. I got the one from the page that you linked.

One piece of advice I can offer for the installation is, make sure that you attach the damper knob cover back onto the extension cable before tightening it on the damper knob. I thought that it would end up being easier, but it's hard to push the extension cable back into the hole at an angle. Not sure if I'm doing a good job explaining what I mean here.

I didn't realize that they had multiple lengths. I got the one from the page that you linked.
      Actually I asked Heath for a custom length. So you probably got the length that's made for the Honda S2000. Good to see it fits an S60 ;-)

One piece of advice I can offer for the installation is, make sure that you attach the damper knob cover back onto the extension cable before tightening it on the damper knob. I thought that it would end up being easier, but it's hard to push the extension cable back into the hole at an angle. Not sure if I'm doing a good job explaining what I mean here.
      I think I get what you mean. Please correct me where I'm wrong or you have a better wording

In order to install the extender, you have to:
      01) loosen the screw that fixes the damper knob cover/hat to the extension cable
      02) remove the loosened damper knob cover/hat from the extension cable
      03) remove the 2nd screw nut (the one next to the now open end of the cable) from the adjustment extender screw thread (next to the golden extender knob)
      04) find a good place for the holes you need to drill into the trunk liners/panels
      05) drill the holes so the open end of the adjustment extender screw thread fits in (haven't measured the diameter yet)
      06) push the extension cable and the open end of the adjustment extender screw thread through the drilled hole
      07) put on the removed 2nd screw nut again
      08) fix both nuts against each other as desired so the extender knob thread "base" is tightened to the liner/panel
      09) push the open end of the extension cable into the damper knob cover/hat again
      10) tighten the screw that fixes the damper knob cover/hat to the extension cable
      11) put the damper knob cover/hat onto the vehicle's damper adjustment knob
      12) tighten the screw that fixes the damper knob cover/hat onto the vehicle's damper adjustment knob

You are much more articulate than I.
      I chose to do step 11-12, before doing step 9-10. Because I thought that it would be easier. It was not. I would recommend doing the installation in the steps that you have laid out.

Edit: Thought it may be better to explain why I chose to install the way I did. I noticed that the extension cable doesn't have a stop when being put back into the damper hat. You will need to hold it in place while you tighten it. So I thought, if I put the hat onto the damper knob first, I could just push the extension cable as far down as it would go and then tighten it. But because the extension cable was at an angle to damper hat, it was difficult to push it back into the hat.
      Last edited by Str8; 01-19-2018 at 10:37 AM.

Unfortunately, the attempt to install the 40cm lengthened adjustment extenders was unsuccessful.

First, the hole at the desired place of the trunk side panel was drilled.

Then, the extender cap was mounted to the damper adjustment knob and the top end (with the extender knob temporarily removed) was put through the hole and mounted.

Then we realized the extension wire was actually some centimeters too short so it lifted the gold knob of the damper up when installed.

When these knobs are lifted, the adjustment functionality is actually decoupled and you can turn them indefinitely

So, longer wires are needed for the V60 (45-50cm).

According to Str8, the even shorter standard Sakebomb adjustment extenders fit the S60 nicely.

Is anyone interested in buying my set of 40cm extenders for the S60? Please PM me so we can talk
      Last edited by tungsten; 01-26-2018 at 09:24 AM.

Oh man! That looks so close
      The knob placement looks excellent though. Hopefully you get the longer ones soon.

I would definitely recommend it to any s60 P* owner reading this. It makes weekend morning canyon runs much more enjoyable to be able to easily firm up the rear suspension, then return to a softer setting for driving around the city.

Oh man! That looks so close
      The knob placement looks excellent though. Hopefully you get the longer ones soon.
      Yeah, true The 50cm extenders are on their way...

I would definitely recommend it to any s60 P* owner reading this. It makes weekend morning canyon runs much more enjoyable to be able to easily firm up the rear suspension, then return to a softer setting for driving around the city.
      Thanks for your review :-) My 40cm extender set is eventually going to South Africa... we'll see :-)

50cm set inbound also.

50cm extenders installed! works very well, click feedback is sensible very good. definitely a recommendation!

Very nice!

For everyone interested, here's a link to the 50cm Polestar product: http://www.sakebombgarage.com/fpspec...polestar-50cm/

Is the latch hole access sufficient to install or is removal of the floor required?

Quote Originally Posted by SC-P* View Post
      Is the latch hole access sufficient to install or is removal of the floor required?
      You have to remove the trunk side panels, not just the floor. I had it done by my dealer for 1 hour of work (around 90 EUR) as it meant far too much hassle for me (got no garage and it's freezingly cold outside).

Anyone interested in buying these 50cm damper adjustment extenders for a reduced price (list price is $195) please PM me. We (the members of the Polestar Owners facebook group) are running a group buy.

Just ordered mine
      15.5 V60 P* Rebel Blue( regrettable Sold) 07 S60R Titanium/Nordcap GT 4T5 Engine 07 S60R Silver/Gobi GT 07 S60R Titanium/Nordkap Gt 06 V70R M66 Titanium/Gobi IPD 4T4. 06V70R Electric silver/Nordkap GT(sold). 06 V70R Sonic/Nordkap M66 (sold and missed)98 S70 T5M Black/Black (Sold and missed)06 V70r GT Passion Red/Atacama(sold) 06 V70R GT Sonic/Gobi(sold and missed)98 S70 T5mRed/Black (sold and missed) 88 740 Turbo(Totaled) 89 780 Turbo(sold) 99 S70 N/A(sold) 98 V70 T5 Silver (sold)13 S60 T6 AWD R-Design White(leased and returned)

Quote Originally Posted by robspec View Post
      Just ordered mine
      Already installed?

Already installed?
      Not yet, my time is limited and been busy with work. Picture will be posted both here and Facebook once I’m installing them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      15.5 V60 P* Rebel Blue( regrettable Sold) 07 S60R Titanium/Nordcap GT 4T5 Engine 07 S60R Silver/Gobi GT 07 S60R Titanium/Nordkap Gt 06 V70R M66 Titanium/Gobi IPD 4T4. 06V70R Electric silver/Nordkap GT(sold). 06 V70R Sonic/Nordkap M66 (sold and missed)98 S70 T5M Black/Black (Sold and missed)06 V70r GT Passion Red/Atacama(sold) 06 V70R GT Sonic/Gobi(sold and missed)98 S70 T5mRed/Black (sold and missed) 88 740 Turbo(Totaled) 89 780 Turbo(sold) 99 S70 N/A(sold) 98 V70 T5 Silver (sold)13 S60 T6 AWD R-Design White(leased and returned)

Yeah, true The 50cm extenders are on their way...

Thanks for your review :-) My 40cm extender set is eventually going to South Africa... we'll see :-)
      Do you have the link to order the 50cm extenders? I looked at their web site and it didn't specify a length

THanks
      Current: 2017 V60 Polestar, 2019 XC90 T6 R-design, 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
      Previous: 2005 S60R, VW Jetta 1.8T, Mazda 3, Toyota Corolla

Quote Originally Posted by dhdd View Post
      Do you have the link to order the 50cm extenders? I looked at their web site and it didn't specify a length

THanks
      the ones that say "Polestar" are 50cm long and fit the V60, the standard ones are probably 20-30cm long and should (!) fit the S60.

the ones that say "Polestar" are 50cm long and fit the V60, the standard ones are probably 20-30cm long and should (!) fit the S60.
      Ahhh, had to look in another tab. found them
      Current: 2017 V60 Polestar, 2019 XC90 T6 R-design, 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
      Previous: 2005 S60R, VW Jetta 1.8T, Mazda 3, Toyota Corolla

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast