Polestar Suspension Adjustment Procedure - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      I'm sorry guys but the rear adjustment is not 5 minute job. This is a 60-90 minute job min and a huge PIA. Take all contents out of the rear, then take all trim clips off, then all trim bolts off, take all trim off...break clips in the process.

I am not gonna hold onto my P* and this is one of the primary reasons. Non-adjustable dampers in a 2017 vehicle and a huge PIA to adjust the rears....seriously?!? Why not have under car access like the fronts?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I just picked up a 2015 V60 P* last month and am just getting myself familiarized with the car.

For making rear adjustments, do you need to jack/hoist the rear of the car?

I'm presuming the front has to be hoisted in order for you to get access for sure?

Thanks and glad to be part of the club!

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
      I'm sorry guys but the rear adjustment is not 5 minute job. This is a 60-90 minute job min and a huge PIA. Take all contents out of the rear, then take all trim clips off, then all trim bolts off, take all trim off...break clips in the process.

I am not gonna hold onto my P* and this is one of the primary reasons. Non-adjustable dampers in a 2017 vehicle and a huge PIA to adjust the rears....seriously?!? Why not have under car access like the fronts?
      I just did the adjustments myself, and it was easy. I spent more time cleaning my car before hand than actually doing the adjustments.
      60 minutes for me to clean my car, do the steps to adjust dampers in the FRONT AND BACK, put everything back together, then take a road test is not a big deal.

Now that I've done it, I could probably do everything in 30 mins.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

For about twice the time it takes to do the through the cargo anchor point technique one time, which I have done many times, you can install the Saki-bomb knob extenders and turn a PITA into a 2 sec no brainer.

Remove the bolt to the cargo latches, and the fastener behind the ABS plate in the upper trim piece. Also remove the upper trim piece at the top opening of the lift gate by prying it off from the lift gate side. Use interior trim removal tools ($10 at any auto parts store). Remove the chrome lower trim at the bottom of the lift gate (2 fasteners).

20181008_133346 by lcfpolestar, on Flickr

20181008_132741 by lcfpolestar, on Flickr

Pop off the side trim panel on both sides. You have to remove the rear seat bolsters also. These just pop out with constant gentle pressure.

20181008_120449 by lcfpolestar, on Flickr

I drilled the interior trim panel with a segmented drill bit which worked very well. I selected a natural location for the knob., there is plenty of room behind the panel for the cable from the shock knob to the the extender knob.

Left side:

20181008_130252 by lcfpolestar, on Flickr

Right side:

20181008_143219 by lcfpolestar, on Flickr
      Last edited by OscarII; 10-31-2018 at 12:11 AM.

I find it easier to remove the rear shocks for adjustment as it is once or twice a year adjustment. At the same time I can examine the shocks for any leaks, my right shock is weeping a slight amount of oil, just enough to fill the top seal area. Mine rear shocks are at 10 and they seem to work year around at that setting. The front shocks are 20 in the winter as spirited driving is limited.

https://imgur.com/a/FDvAPnS

This looks really interesting!
      VOLVO V60 POLESTAR MY18

I read in the Polestar booklet that comes with the car that the dealership should adjust the suspension for the owner, I assume for free? Anyone had this experience?

Anyway to make these adjustments when the car is up on a rack, instead of from inside the car?
      2018 Volvo V60 Polestar
      2015 Audi Allroad

When the car is up on the rack it is an easy adjustment once the shocks are removed. If the cat weight is off the wheels it is easier to install the shocks as they have to be partially compressed to reinstall the bottom bolt. The easiest way of course is to install the adjusters in the inside back area. I don’t see a reason to make many adjustments. I only do a summer/winter adjustment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I decided today was the day to make the adjustments on my V60. Remove removing the rear Clips was actually pretty easy. Didn't break anything. But when I was trying to adjust the rear, I didn't hear any clicks. So I'm trying to determine if I turn the knob counterclockwise all the way, is that setting 15?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
      2018 Volvo V60 Polestar
      2015 Audi Allroad

Counterclockwise all the way should be 20 clicks so the original setting must have been 5 clicks from the full clockwise position. Base settings are F10 R10 according to the manual. The rear shocks at 10 are the best settings. Changing the front settings make the biggest difference. My rear shocks are at 15 (from full CW position). I find this setting makes the rear fell a little too soft with quick car directional changes. The clicks are very subtle so try turning all the way CW then very slowly turn CCW to the desired setting. I would try the rear at 12 or 13 CCW from the full CW position. According to the manual that is the setting for rough roads. Depending on personal preferences and load in vehicle you may want to experiment a little now that you have easy access to the adjustment area.

I thought 15 was the highest setting for the rear and 20 was the highest fir the front? Just wanted clarification that turning it counterclockwise takes it to the highest setting, as in 15 for the rear and 20 in the front.

2018 Volvo V60 Polestar
      2015 Audi Allroad

In the manual they only show maximum for rear as 15 clicks from the full CW position bottomed out. Just check your shock setting by turning if fully CW to bottom out, not forcefully, just until it feels that it is at the end of the CW position (which is the stiffest setting), then turn it slowly counting the clicks until it is all the way out in the CCW setting. It may be easier or feel different if you lift the weight of the vehicle off the rear shocks? I did my adjustments with the shocks removed. I don’t think it will make any difference as I adjust the fronts with the vehicle sitting on the ground.

Finally went with other suggestions under Polestar suspension adjustments for rear Ohlins on the V60. Removed the two tie down fixtures by the shock. Managed to remove without breaking the two plastic “fingers” that hook behind the rear side carpet by using a bent tool to pull down the tabs. Not worth saving the tabs so I removed the tabs. It is easy to stick a finger in and rotate the adjuster with just one finger. It takes a few tries to get the settings and feel the “clicks”. The complete CW setting is all the way in. The first click is spaced from the full CW position a little more rotation than the remaining clicks once you get the feel. Easiest way to adjust the rear Ohlins and the expensive cable adjuster is just not necessary unless you track the car and get the Ohlins too warm to touch with a finger.

It turns out that, if you are tall and thin enough (I'm 5'10" and 155 lbs), you can install the adapters without taking off the sides. Just drill the hole, reach in the rear access panels (the ones that snap out; I know the one is how you release the gas cap from the inside but I forget if the other one does anything) to guide the knob end (sans knob) through the hole, re-attach knob, attach to top of damper.

Quote Originally Posted by nuge View Post
      I thought 15 was the highest setting for the rear and 20 was the highest fir the front? Just wanted clarification that turning it counterclockwise takes it to the highest setting, as in 15 for the rear and 20 in the front.

I recently installed spacers on my car. This was the perfect time to adjust the fronts.

2018 Volvo V60 Polestar
      2015 Audi Allroad

19. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3