Anyone used the factory driving lamp accessory? (license plate mount)
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Anyone used the factory driving lamp accessory? (license plate mount)

Hi All,

In lieu of being able to swap the standard halogen headlamps for xenon units, I'm considering adding some high-power driving lamps to the front.

Volvo offers a factory accessory here: http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/sh...sembly=1179998

Has anyone tried these? here's a pic of them on another volvo: http://www.caraccessoriesplus.co.uk/...ry-lights.html

My first thought is that the bumper on the XC60 is just a plastic shell that's barely strong enough to hold a license plate, let alone lights, but if that were the case, volvo wouldn't sell a kit for it, right?

Not sure if the volvo lamps themselves are what I'm looking for, but thinking about their bracket/switch/relay kit so there's no question of quality/warranty.

Has anyone else added auxiliary lighting to their XC60? How'd you do it?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Out of curiosity, why do you need that much light?
      2019 XC40 RD P* & 2013 XC60 T6 P* / 2011 S60 T6 (Traded In)

Out here in the pacific northwest, once you get about 20-30 min outside of Seattle, there are miles and miles of unlit highways, which are also frequented by deer and raccoons. Occasionally elk on backroads (though it's been a few years since I've seen one on the road). Deer + 70mph + average headlights seems like a bit of a risky proposition.

Also, due to the latitude, in mid-december the sun doesn't rise until nearly 8 and goes down just after four, so lots of commuting in the dark.

I've never felt the need to add additional lighting in any of my past cars as I've been fortunate enough to have xenon in all of them. This time around I fell in love with the (non-xenon) car on the lot and figured I could add xenon later for $1k if necessary...only to find out now on the boards that isn't the case.

So rather than cut up the factory halogen lights trying to retrofit a projector, I thought I'd pursue another route.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Don't have them but would be curious to see what output they add - the look like they'd be great!
      2015 XC60 R-Design Premier Plus

you should check with your local laws... We have a lot of rural unlit roads and aux lights are still not permitted for use other the off road use.
      2015 - XC60 T6 AWD Premium+ - Climate pkg, Bi-xenon, Blis, P* tune, Crystal White, P* performance parts door and rear hatch mouldings.

Looks like I'm good as long as they're SAE compliant and I don't roof mount:

http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/passequip.htm

What mcmanus said. Have you tried the h9 to h11 conversion for your low beam bulbs? Light output will be increased significantly if you use regular philips h9 or similar. Also a lot of folks fit LED light bars to address the issue you are describing. Same risks may apply with long arm of the law, but these light bars really illuminate and do so in white. They are also much more inconspicuous, and some have installed them behind front grilles to be completely out of site.
      2018 V60 T5 ~ 2010 XC60 T6 ~ 2009 S40 2.4 (buh-bye) ~ 2001 V70 2.4 (buh-bye) ~ 2002 S40 1.9T (buh-bye)

LED-bars are crap compared to about every other form of auxiliary lighting.

As for the aux lights OP is on about: I found them on the swedish accessories page but not on the US one. Seems it isn't really offered to begin with. What it does say on the swedish version is that they can't be combined with parking assistance, adaptive cruise control or collision warning. I'm guessing if you have the radar in your grill, they wont work and in that case your only option really is LED-bars unfortunately. http://accessories.volvocars.com/sv-...CC-480473/2015

As for whether the car can support the aux lights, check out step 8 in the install guide ("Monteringsanvisning" on the above page): http://accessories.volvocars.com/sv-...-468540-1/2015

Holy schneikies that's a long install procedure. Take the whole car apart why don't we? Thanks for sharing the doc...hadn't seen that yet, obviously.

to your main point in step 8 though, you're right, it's drilling directly into the steel bumper structure, not just hanging on the plastic bumper shell

I don't have a "solid" piece in my grille, so no ACC or collision warning or other radar bits as far as I know...just the parking dots (which are down and to the side of where these would mount) so it seems unlikely but not impossible parking sensors would pick up the aux lamps. I believe the city safety is just in the windscreen for my MY and options.

I've found a company (Rigid Industries) that seems to make (in the USA) high-optics quality light bars with some serious specs. Not cheap but was thinking about heading that route.

After seeing the install doc, I'm seriously hesitating about attempting this with anything other than the factory Volvo install kit. maybe if I can find out the specs of the Volvo lights (or perhaps more importantly the specs of the relay/fuse) I could find a light bar to match those specs?
      Last edited by NorthwestMoose; 09-04-2015 at 07:31 PM.

So I asked the parts counter at the local dealer yesterday, he said he'd never heard of or seen this kit ordered before, but would call volvo parts hotline on Tuesday to try to get a definite yes/no answer.

Regarding the switch, based on the instructions that Schmoyoho posted, it looks like steps 97-131 only serve to swap out the button blank? So if I'm okay with the button not having a light logo on it, I could stop at step 96?

If the dealer says the kit will work, I'll do the full install of course, but wondering if the kit *won't* work, can I simply wire an aftermarket harness up to pin 8 as shown in step 84?

Apparently the auxiliary lights are quite popular in Sweden according to my sister-in-law from the south of Sweden in Ystad. Long dark winters and all. We saw a lot of cars with them when we visited.
      Volvo: 2015.5 XC60 RD Plat. arrest-me red w/ Climate, BLIS & OEM trailer hitch. IPD skid plate & rear sway bar
      Others: 2019 Merc AMG E53 Cpe, 1988 Merc 560SL, 1969 MGB GT, 1957 MG ZB Magnette, 1953 MG TD & 1935 Ford 5W Dlx Cpe

Quote Originally Posted by Azlkk View Post
      Apparently the auxiliary lights are quite popular in Sweden according to my sister-in-law from the south of Sweden in Ystad. Long dark winters and all. We saw a lot of cars with them when we visited.
      There are two kinds of people over here who get auxillarly lights of any kind: a) people who drive a lot of unlit roads during the winters b) people who think auxillary lights are the **** and start using them at the brink of dusk because it's cool or something, I don't know.

I'm a bit surprised to hear that aux lights are so uncommon elsewhere or at least in the states. I thought just about anyone anywhere driving on a lot of unlit roads would get them, granted the trade-off in appearance on most cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmoyoho View Post
      There are two kinds of people over here who get auxillarly lights of any kind: a) people who drive a lot of unlit roads during the winters b) people who think auxillary lights are the **** and start using them at the brink of dusk because it's cool or something, I don't know.

I'm a bit surprised to hear that aux lights are so uncommon elsewhere or at least in the states. I thought just about anyone anywhere driving on a lot of unlit roads would get them, granted the trade-off in appearance on most cars.
      Yeah, I also wanted some extra light sometimes when I am camping or out in the wilderness, etc.. Regarding light bars being crap, have you checked out VisionX? In a tiny light bar that can fit in the lower grill of the car you can have the output of 5 or so more high beams for example... How much more light than this puts out would you need? Now the price is another issue altogether (not the cheapest solution for extra light). PS. one would not want this on for oncoming traffic - definitely offroad.

http://www.visionxusa.com/product/at...ingle-led-bar/
      2011 XC60 T-6 AWD R-Design + Polestar, Passion Red (climate, navigation, and technology packages). Added: Custom Subwoofer, Trailer Hitch, Vision X LED light bar and fogs, and Laser Interceptor V. 8 (Quad).

TW, how did you end up mounting the light bar in the lower grille? It looks to me (on my 2014 at least) that there's a horizontal support bar behind the lower grille, but in front of the IC. Was thinking about a mount that would wrap around that support and extend through the grille to the light bar (meaning the light bar would sit just in front of the lower grille), without any cutting. do you have any up close pics of your install?

Was considering this light bar since it's http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/91061h

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestMoose View Post
      TW, how did you end up mounting the light bar in the lower grille? It looks to me (on my 2014 at least) that there's a horizontal support bar behind the lower grille, but in front of the IC. Was thinking about a mount that would wrap around that support and extend through the grille to the light bar (meaning the light bar would sit just in front of the lower grille), without any cutting. do you have any up close pics of your install?

Was considering this light bar since it's http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/91061h
      Yeah not sure how different my 2011 is inside that grill. I will get you some close up pics soon and PM them to you.
      2011 XC60 T-6 AWD R-Design + Polestar, Passion Red (climate, navigation, and technology packages). Added: Custom Subwoofer, Trailer Hitch, Vision X LED light bar and fogs, and Laser Interceptor V. 8 (Quad).

Great, thank you!

twbannon- I would really like to add some lights to at least one of my vehicles and would really appreciate seeing your pics as well. Thanks in advance!
      2016 XC60 T5 Seashell Metallic, Platinum, IPD Anti-Sway Bar
      2011 XC60 R Design Passion Red; IPD Anti-Sway Bar; Polestar Tune

20. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements