keep or trade decisions based on ownership experience - does it make sense?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

keep or trade decisions based on ownership experience - does it make sense?

I've always made the keep or trade decision based on what my repair and hassle history has been with a car over the past few years of ownership. If I had a lot of expensive repairs, or some really inconvenient experiences (like wife stranded somewhere) then I tend to unload the car at the first opportunity.

So here's the question I have: As I approach the end of lease for my '13 S60, which has been trouble free, is it rational to believe that it's a better car than a similar used vehicle on the dealer's lot?

If I buy it, I will finance for 4-5 years and hopefully keep it several years longer. If I return it I will try to replace it with another Volvo of similar age/miles/features, hopefully CPO if I can locate one, again financed 4-5 years.

I know there are a lot of folks on here who buy and sell a lot of cars, and I'd be interested in hearing whether you think that all reasonably good used cars offer the same risks, or if one with a known good history is always a better choice. For the sake of the discussion, I would only be considering purchase of 3 year old Volvos purchased from a reputable dealer with clean CarFax and at least some maintenance records (should only be 3 scheduled maintenance visits plus any problems by 36k).

Am I being superstitious thinking that my S60, after its "extended test drive" while leasing will continue to be a great, trouble free car? Or should I get real and accept that I just got lucky and there's nothing special about my car versus other similar examples?
      2007 C70 T5 Magic Blue
      Previous:
      2016 S60I, 2013 S60, 2003 XC70, 2002 V70, 1998 S70

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Well I think if you know the wear and the tear and every little thing that's ever existed with the current car, it is indeed better off than a new variable.
      Beyond that, it's a crap shoot I'd say.

Unless the other car has something you want, whether it's an upgrade or different color, or, if you buy the different car you may get a longer warranty (CPO for example)

But "the grass is often greener on the other side of the fence" may be the case when looking at different vehicles
      The daily, 2009 S60 2.5T AWD, Ice White, Shark Stage 1, need gone NLT 1/30/2020 - sale post: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...D-White-Oak-6k

The classic cruiser, 1972 164E, Alpine Blue Metallic.

For the most current photos of the day, find me on Instagram

Why not lease a new one?
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      Why not lease a new one?
      Well, I don't really feel that a 2016 S60 AWD is much different from what I have, and since the trim packaging has changed I would have to spend more to get a comparable car. And I'll be in the market for another car 2 years from now when the C70 will be paid off and moved to seasonal duty, at which point a new model S/V60 or XC60 might appeal.
      2007 C70 T5 Magic Blue
      Previous:
      2016 S60I, 2013 S60, 2003 XC70, 2002 V70, 1998 S70

6. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements