Whats needed to add factory heated seats
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Whats needed to add factory heated seats

Im wondering if anyone has replaced their standard seats with heated seats or knows a tech who can answer this..

I have a 2007 s80 I purchased in 2009. The vehicle did not have heated seats, and the leather was in poor condition even though it had low miles. I searched and found an interior (Front and Rear Seats) from a wrecked 2008 and swapped the seats out. The 2008 had the climate package and front and rear heated seats. When I did the swap, I found the rear seat area had a factory wiring harness for heated seats in place, even though my vehicle did not have the climate package. This told me that the harnesses to the seats are ready for heated seats and should accept the retrofit. They wired up fine and power seats work fine, but I'm not able to activate the heated seat function because I dont have the controls on my radio stack.
      Years ago I asked a service rep during an oil change at a dealer what was needed and he didnt seem to have any idea, but stated a tech told him it would need a new computer (ECM?)

I recently located a radio/center stack from a 2007 which has the factory front heated seats (buttons have a fan image on one button and heating image on another, buttons side by side, im wondering if the fan image was for cooling seats?? didnt think that was an option)

My question is this...

If I replace the radio stack, since the harness is the same as mine and the seat harnesses are in place, would this be all I need to get my front heated seats to work?? Is there something that the dealer would need to do with the vehicle software?? Would I have to replace anything else??

I appreciate any feedback.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

It is not possible. The software that "links" the buttons in the center stack with the heat elements in the seats themselves is not present in the CEM, and Volvo has not made it available as an add on for this model. It's not as simple as it used to be where you could just add the switches and the wiring. (I did this in the BMW I owned before my S80). Your only option is to wire up the heater elements and your own old-fashioned type switch. I believe the easiest solution would be to mount the switch on the side of the seat near the power seat controls. There are tons of different aftermarket heated seat kits on the market, but I don't see why you couldn't use the OEM elements in a set of junk yard S80 seats along with a switch and relay that you wire up yourself. The elements themselves are no more sophisticated than an electric blanket. Apply power, and they heat up. The OEM units do have thermostats in them, so you should check the wiring to make sure that the thermostatic control is contained within the seat. If it is not, it would be advisable to install an entire aftermarket set of elements, wiring, and switches. Being able to use the OEM elements would prevent you from having to take apart the seats, and like 99% of s80s have heated seats, so whatever seats you get from the junk yard are going to end up having heat elements in them to begin with.

I'd like to add that because of the way Volvos are engineered, some things are very easy to retrofit. Others are not. There are some systems which flat out just can't be retrofitted as they came from the factory, and heated seats are one of them. They don't operate on their own circuit. They operate through the car's low speed CAN-BUS network. A signal is sent from the button on the CCM to the CEM, and then from the CEM to the PSM which then turns on the heater. It's not as simple as separate wires and a relay like it was in the old P80 Volvos and older. If the system isn't independent, and Volvo hasn't made retrofit software available, it can't be done. Sometimes there are workarounds if you get creative like I described above.

An example of something easily retrofittable are the seat massagers since they operate on their own 12v circuit and are not in any way connected to the BUS networks. They just run on a conventional +12v to the seat, and a switch on the seat connects to a computer within the seat which modulates the pump, power lumbar, and massage functions. All you have to do is apply switched +12 and ground to the system and it'll work as it's made to work.

A two sided example is ventilated seats. In the XC90, the ventilated seats are self-contained and run of 12v within the seat itself with a button on the side of the seat, so they can be retrofitted. In the S80, since the buttons for them are in the CCM, they use the CAN-BUS network to send the switch signal, so it's not retrofittable in the S80. A workaround on ventilated seats would be to use the wiring and switch from an XC90 since the XC90 doesn't use the bus network for the switches.

I know this is all really geeky and may or may not make sense. I have spent a ton of time retrofitting and attempting to retrofit all sorts of equipment from newer Volvos or other models into my Volvos, so I've got a lot of it figured out. Usually it becomes obvious pretty quickly if something can be retrofitted.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Thank you for the reply.

I figured it would be involved, but on that line, I have access to the ECM, and a module the seller is calling the central electronic module box, it has part # 30786819 AA, on the top, its a white plastic box with several colored female harness plugs, has an exposed fuse block on top.. these are out of a parted out 2007 that had heated seats, same seller that has the radio stack with the controls..

are these the modules that have to communicate with the seats and radio stack? Wondering if I could swap them out. I don't know much about vehicle can-bus networks..

Hello,

I want to same what you wanted in 2010 Change the normal seat to heated seat my question that did you finally success or there was no any option?

Quote Originally Posted by znyakas View Post
      Hello,

I want to same what you wanted in 2010 Change the normal seat to heated seat my question that did you finally success or there was no any option?
      I think it's possible to add heated seats but I'm not sure.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uof6aVr7Jeo

I wonder if that's only able to enable/disable it on cars that were factory equipped with it or if it actually can enable it on a car that didn't. In that case, seat ventilation here I come... maybe!
      "The top-end T8's are like 'dictator opulent'. It screams 'drive me through the Kremlin in a military parade with some ICBMs on trucks'" - TheVolvo
      "Just change all 4 tires at the same time when needed and it feels always like a flying carpet"
      "Car was dusty and dirty yet he cleaned it without using any water. It scared me and I am afraid of nothing"
      "XC70 FWD is like a beer with 0% Alc. Wtf, realy wtf."
      " I am sure I will buy a mainstream car with great mileage and a plug-in instead of a but-plug 🖤"
      - CrossingCountries

It wouldn't be too hard to install factory heated seats and retrofit a switch by the seat controls, then run a fused power wire from a fuse block or battery to feed them.

Also found this article on the supra forums: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthr...ed-seat-switch
      Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you take that wall with you

Thanks it was helpful to me and this solution works

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements