Confirmed F7 disables DSTC and keeps AWD!
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thanks to Beernose (I think) for investigating the wiring in another thread a few months back.

We pulled the hidden F7 ABS pump fuse (pink 30A front fuse box) on my friends S40 AWD. The dash displays that DSTC is disabled. Further, full throttle acceleration is discernibly smother and more consistent on dry pavement with non performance tires. If the ebrake is pulled up one notch to disable the Haldex as well, the T5 will light up the front tires very easily with no electronic nagging or flashing lights! Note that this is just a lightly modded S40.

Next we plan to install a switch and a relay to toggle the DSTC off during autocross.

DISCLAIMER: Pulling the F7 fuse will also disable ABS too since this is the pump power connection, so this is for off road use only. You are responsible for the additional risk caused by disabling any safety systems on your car. This trick is intended for off road use only.
      V50-AWD-T5-M66 FOR SALE w/some mods, Huge FMIC & Sprayer, MR Coilovers, RacingBeat Sway, 320mm F/R Rotors SS Lines, Android Stereo, 70mm 911 Throttle, F-150 Intake, Dashcam, More...
      |2ZZ Toyota MR-S| AMG ML500 | Lotus Elise (sold) | S60R (sold) | MR2 V6 Turbo (sold)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I might have to try this tonight see if it makes a difference. Is this in the fuse box in the engine bay under the glove box ?

Why does the haldex disable with the ebrake trick and what does that do just transfer more power to the front?

"Embody god... Then go crazy"
      2008 S40 T5 AWD ("Shadow") |ELEVATE 3" Intake, 2.5" Charge Pipe, Intercooler, Torque Mount, ECU Mount, TCV, Turbosmart CBV, Turbosmart Actuator, stage 3 APC Tune, 3 Stickers (5HP)ea||ClockWorkCalibrations Custom 3" Exhaust||EuroSportTuning 3" downpipe.||CF Cone Filter||De-Badged||custom Mesh Grill||Intercooler Cut out||Porsche 911 Throttle body upgrade||18" Enkie PDC Wheels wrapped in 225/45/18 Sentury UHP||M3 Spoiler|| 8k Morimoto HID Kit|| White LED Fog,City,trunk light|"embody God, then go crazy"

Yes, the fuse box in the engine bay. See below. Be sure to pull F7 and not F8. F8 will give you an immobilizer message. FYI when you re-install the fuse the system will reset after the car is driven again next restart. All will be restored to normal.

On dry pavement with the AWD there is not a huge difference. In first gear in really tight turns you may notice the car has a bit more ooomph. Be careful the rear will step out and he ECU will not help you sort out the slide.

The Haldex ebrake trick seems to be to protect the drive train. It even mentions this in some volvo literature.

V50-AWD-T5-M66 FOR SALE w/some mods, Huge FMIC & Sprayer, MR Coilovers, RacingBeat Sway, 320mm F/R Rotors SS Lines, Android Stereo, 70mm 911 Throttle, F-150 Intake, Dashcam, More...
      |2ZZ Toyota MR-S| AMG ML500 | Lotus Elise (sold) | S60R (sold) | MR2 V6 Turbo (sold)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by quadcamsix View Post
      Yes, the fuse box in the engine bay. See below. Be sure to pull F7 and not F8. F8 will give you an immobilizer message. FYI when you re-install the fuse the system will reset after the car is driven again next restart. All will be restored to normal.

On dry pavement with the AWD there is not a huge difference. In first gear in really tight turns you may notice the car has a bit more ooomph. Be careful "the rear will step out and he ECU will not help you" sort out the slide.

The Haldex ebrake trick seems to be to protect the drive train. It even mentions this in some volvo literature.

"the rear will step out and he ECU will not help you" sounds like fun to me!

"Embody god... Then go crazy"
      2008 S40 T5 AWD ("Shadow") |ELEVATE 3" Intake, 2.5" Charge Pipe, Intercooler, Torque Mount, ECU Mount, TCV, Turbosmart CBV, Turbosmart Actuator, stage 3 APC Tune, 3 Stickers (5HP)ea||ClockWorkCalibrations Custom 3" Exhaust||EuroSportTuning 3" downpipe.||CF Cone Filter||De-Badged||custom Mesh Grill||Intercooler Cut out||Porsche 911 Throttle body upgrade||18" Enkie PDC Wheels wrapped in 225/45/18 Sentury UHP||M3 Spoiler|| 8k Morimoto HID Kit|| White LED Fog,City,trunk light|"embody God, then go crazy"

Global Moderator MyNameIdeasWereTaken's Avatar
      Great to know! I wish there was a way to just perminently disable DSTC and not ABS. I miss the button in the S40... The wheel on the turn signal stalk is annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereTaken View Post
      Great to know! I wish there was a way to just perminently disable DSTC and not ABS. I miss the button in the S40... The wheel on the turn signal stalk is annoying.
      The wheel menu and button don't fully dissable DSTC. Nor does the push button in models that have it equipped. Only a portion of it.

FWIW pulling the fuse still allows the electronic brake force distribution function to work.. I have confirmed that the solenoids still function with the ABSENCE powered ABS pump.
      Last edited by quadcamsix; 10-03-2015 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by quadcamsix View Post
      The wheel menu and button don't fully dissable DSTC. Nor does the push button in models that have it equipped. Only a portion of it.
      That's what I thought all along... But do you know to what extent? I can do front wheel burn outs all day long with it disabled. It'll flash at me and immediately say that DSTC is unavailable, but nothing seems to change.

Yes, the disable function on the DIM or the button only turns off the front wheel traction control. It does not turn off stability control. I.E. allows the front wheels to spin without pulling timing or backing off the throttle. However, the ECU still intrudes particularity on AWD models where the rear end would be trying to spin around on slippery surfaces or at autocross where you need oversteer in certain situations to improve lap times.

Just autocrossed last weekend and I didn't find yaw control to be an issue (which surprised me). Plenty of oversteer with a large rear sway bar.

We need to find a way to disable yaw control and keep ABS. Anyone unplugged the yaw sensor yet? That was my plan if it gave me issues at the autox....

Is it hard to get the AWDs to oversteer? I can swing the back end out on just about any turn (though, my suspension is super stiff), I actually have to be careful in the rain not to get too tail happy.

Yes, with all the driver aids on I have never been able to get to full opposite lock. The computers shut it all down way before it gets fun.

i never had any trouble sliding around in the snow. It was rare for a light to ever come on for me while in the snow... but maybe there isnt much g-force when sliding on snow? so sensors dont detect anything wrong?
      05' S40 T5 AWD >129k miles. KW V1. E-focus tq Mount. Racing Beat rsb. SPC arms. 18"Midir's, 17" Pegs.
      Elevate Cat-back. EST Downpipe. ATP FMIC. Elevate TCV.Shark, Stage '3' Tune.
      '97 E36 BMW M3
      Previous: 95' 854 T5

Why couldn't this thread been around a month! Will take note for future reference.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
      All the best things in life are dirty...

This should be a sticky!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2008 Passion Red C30 6 Speed M/T
      V1 with Preferred, Climate Package and Dynaudio.
      Added: R Design Spoiler+Steering Wheel+Knob, K&N Air Filter Replacement, EuroSport Tuning Strut Bar, Borla CBE, Vibratechnics Rear Engine Mount, Forge Recirculation Valve, IPD Skidplate, KW V3

I was on the track yesterday and altho I had the dtsc turned off, I had a warning message come up saying that traction control temporally off display after about 2 laps.

Quote Originally Posted by DRTDVL View Post
      I was on the track yesterday and altho I had the dtsc turned off, I had a warning message come up saying that traction control temporally off display after about 2 laps.
      If you can make the light flash for ~10 seconds non-stop (skidding around a lot), it'll do that. Happens almost every AutoX and dragon run I do.
      I'm not complaining.

The car was a lot nicer to drive with it off...

Quote Originally Posted by DRTDVL View Post

Mine only did that when I did an evo school and overheated the brakes

Added: R Design Spoiler+Steering Wheel+Knob, K&N Air Filter Replacement, EuroSport Tuning Strut Bar, Borla CBE, Vibratechnics Rear Engine Mount, Forge Recirculation Valve, IPD Skidplate, KW V3

Found a thread on here and a xc90 manual online that says it's because the brakes are too hot... Hahhaa

Sounds about right

Quote Originally Posted by JN2k108 View Post
      This should be a sticky!
      Done, put it under the performance section rather than the brakes section, since it seems a little more fitting there. But I can move it if the majority thinks otherwise.

Looks like my image link was broken. Here is the shot of the fuse box.

did you ever run a switch to this or is that basically the drjonez mod?

the dr jonez mod keeps ABS. It basically just disables the yaw sensor so the car doesn't know it's sliding.
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

Man, I took the fuse out and drove home...man what a difference! It's amazing how much smoother the throttle is from a redlight rather than the floodgates being opened after exceeding 10mph. It's crazy. i bought an extra fuse just in case but man I'll just drive iwth it out until winter time comes.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

Did a bunch of lights come on?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Idk about F7 but with the Dr Jonez switch you get a couple lights and the "anti skid service" message. Those will go away if you restart the car though.

Seen here in the 1st 10s:

I'm not much of a winter person but I can't wait until there's some nice snow coverage on the parking lots again!
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

How do you open the little black enclosure ?

Quote Originally Posted by jondevieonS40 View Post
      Did a bunch of lights come on?

No, I only got a message for antiskid service and the ABS light came on, that's it.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

Quote Originally Posted by T5CO View Post
      the dr jonez mod keeps ABS. It basically just disables the yaw sensor so the car doesn't know it's sliding.
      ABS is goooooooooooooooooood.
      2005 S40 T5 AWD Stage 3
      2001 S60 LPT 2.5 swap, Speedtuning'd

Function > Form

Quote Originally Posted by jondevieonS40 View Post
      How do you open the little black enclosure ?

It basically un-clips from the sides. Use a small flat head to carefully pry it open.

34. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements