SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Volvo VIDA 2014D and Windows 10 Pro

488K views 452 replies 124 participants last post by  RPhoboS 
#1 · (Edited)
Installing Volvo VIDA 2014D on Windows 10 Guide.

WHAT IS THIS?
A guide to install Volvo VIDA 2014D (original Volvo DVD or an ISO-file of it) on Windows 10 Pro x64, especially on a system where VIDA has previously failed to install or a previous version of VIDA has been installed and then uninstalled. On a system such as that, the cleaning part step 1 through 8 is the most important part. Usual errors on such systems are:
  • An X is presented in Internet Explorer were the DICE Communication tool selector should be.
  • You cannot enter anything in the Username login dialogue.
  • "VIDA cannot start as port 80 is already in use".
  • "VIDA NOT OK".
Check the troubleshooting section at the end of this guide for solutions.
IMPORTANT!
IF YOU FIND ANY ERRORS PLEASE PM ME ASAP!
NEWS:
2021-01-26: Now tested and working as expected even on Windows 10 20H2 (10.0.19042.746) October 2020 Update
2020-07-23: Minor corrections and updates
2019-06-20: Now tested and working as expected even on Windows 10 1903 (10.0.18362.175) May 2019 Update
2017-07-04: Now tested and working as expected even on Windows 10 1703 (10.0.15063.447) Creators Update
2017-05-08: Now tested and working as expected even on Windows 10 1703 (10.0.15063.13) Creators Update
2017-05-08: The patch I spoke of in previous news will probably never be ready for public testing as I do not have the time for it anymore :(
2016-08-20: I am working on a patch for x64-systems that makes this guide superfluous. It will be a 1-2-3 way to install VIDA 2014D with it!
2016-08-14: Guide Zero: Installing Volvo VIDA 2014D on Windows 10 Guide Lite version. FOR IT-PRO's ONLY! (it gives the same result but not nearly as specific instructions):
The rest of you please follow the Non-IT Pro guide in this post for a more detailed guide.
REVISION HISTORY:
Rev 16. 2020-01-26
  • Updated the guide throughout to use Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 Express as base instead of SP1 since Microsoft has removed all download locations for SP1.
  • Added step 21.
Rev 15c. 2020-07-29
- Removed references to Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 from the guide.
Rev 15b. 2020-07-23
  • Quick dirty edit of REQUIREMENTS and step 17, 17c, 17e, 17i, 18.
  • Tested and working updating to SQL 2019 (if you choose to update it which is not necessary for the purpose of getting VIDA up and running).
Rev 15. 2019-06-20
  • Added new extra steps (17e-j (renamed old step 17e to 17k)) to manually change the date in the patch (if you are using the original patch which is no longer working) and to make it work with later versions of SQL Server.
  • Removed all x86 steps, this is from now on an x64 guide only. This is to make the guide clearer for most users, who by now, are running x64 versions of Windows 10. It is still possible to install it on x86 but it is beyond the scope of this guide.
Rev 14. 2016-08-27
- Added another warning to post 16c (WARNING! You cannot install another language after you have upgraded SQL!).
Rev 13. 2016-08-20
  • Separated the Cleaning section to another post, this one was getting out of space (limit of characters was reached per post).
  • Added command line setup of SQL 2008 R2 SP3 upgrade for easier install in step 18.
  • Added a warning to post 16c (WARNING! If you get an "Unhandled Exception" during Multi-language setup, see the Troubleshooting section at the end of this guide BEFORE you continue!).
  • The patch needs different ways of installing depending on architecture (step 17b).
  • Added optional step 11, install .NET Framework 3.5 before the installation of VIDA.
  • 32-bit part is still not thoroughly tested, if you cannot enter anything in the Username login dialogue after following this guide, install the patch the x64-way.
Rev 12. 2016-08-14
  • Updated Requirements.
  • 64-bit part of the guide is now completely tested.
  • Removed Windows 8.1 from the guide, I do not have time to test it on that platform. It probably works though.
  • Reworked the guide to fix an error when trying to install VIDA on Windows 10 after KB3163018 or the "Anniversary Update" was installed prior to the VIDA install. Fails with "You got a javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: Define tag cannot set a null value" - Thanks to Orfeous.
  • Included option to install more than one language to use in conjunction with my "VIDA Multi-language Guide".
  • Included option to upgrade the SQL Server to the latest 2016 version to use in conjunction with my "Upgrade to the latest SQL Server Guide" (x64 only!)
  • Changed step 17 (unpack the patch before you run filldb.cmd) to make it run foolproof.
  • Tested with the latest Windows 10 (10.0.14393 v.1607) Anniversary Update.
  • Other minor corrections and additions/deletions to the guide.
  • Added an Additional Tweaking and Troubleshooting section:
Rev 10, 11.
- Corrections.
Rev 9.
- After Windows Update installs KB3163018, Java does not work properly and VIDA fails to start.
Rev 2-8.
Rev 1.
- First draft.
REQUIREMENTS:
  • Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
  • Original Volvo VIDA 2014D DVD or ISO-file (SHA1: 331D4C6F9A462E5F9A316686B9301592D49227DE)
  • VIDA Patch (can't help with a link to a working version, but do get a newer version of it that works post 2017-12-31 23:59:59 -- or edit the file "license" in the patch and set the date to a later date, see step 17c)
GUIDE:
If you have a clean install of Windows and have not previously installed any version of VIDA or SQL (failed or not): begin in this post with step 9.
On a system where VIDA has previously failed to install or a previous version of VIDA has been installed and then uninstalled, the cleaning part step 1 through 8 is the MOST IMPORTANT part, you will find that pre-install guide here:

STEPS 9 THROUGH END, INSTALLING SECTION:
9. Prepare your installation and download necessary files:
9a. Create a temporary directory in C:, and name it "VIDAInstall".

9b. Download:
- Java SE Development Kit 7u80 (x64) "jdk-7u80-windows-x64.exe" (140.09 MB) here:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/j...ownloads-javase7-521261.html#jdk-7u80-oth-JPR
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 Express x64 English version "SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe" (122.4 MB) here:
Download Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 SP2 - Express Edition from Official Microsoft Download Center
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 3 x64 English version "ENU\SQLServer2008R2SP3-KB2979597-x64-ENU.exe" (358.4 MB) here:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44271

9c. Prepare:
  • After the Java SE Development Kit download is complete, open the VIDAInstall directory and create a new folder in there, name it "JDK7u80". Move the "jdk-7u80-windows-x64.exe" to the C:\VIDAInstall\JDK7u80 folder.
  • After the SQL Server SP2 download is complete, open the VIDAInstall directory and create a new folder in there, name it "SQL2008R2SP2". Move the "SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe" to the C:\VIDAInstall\SQL2008R2SP2 folder.
  • After the SQL Server SP3 download is complete, open the VIDAInstall directory and create a new folder in there, name it "SQL2008R2SP3". Move the "SQLServer2008R2SP3-KB2979597-x64-ENU.exe" to the C:\VIDAInstall\SQL2008R2SP3 folder.

9d. Install Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 Express:
- Open a Command Prompt: Click Start and enter "CMD", then right click on "Command Prompt" and select "Run as Administrator", UAC will ask for permission, select "Yes". A new CMD-prompt will appear. Copy the following line and then paste it by right clicking in the CMD-window and select "Paste", then hit enter:
Code:
"C:\VIDAInstall\SQL2008R2SP2\SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe" /ACTION=Install /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS /ROLE=AllFeatures_WithDefaults /INSTANCENAME=VIDA /SAPWD=GunnarS3g3 /SECURITYMODE=SQL /SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" /BROWSERSVCSTARTUPTYPE=Automatic /TCPENABLED=1 /HIDECONSOLE /ENU /QS
- The installation of SQL Server will run by itself without any user intervention and may take some time, please be patient. Wait until it is complete and then close the Command Prompt.

10. Optional step: Make sure Internet Explorer 11 is installed via Control Panel: View by: Small icons, "Programs and Features", select "Turn Windows features on or off" and make sure Internet Explorer 11 is checked (which is the default in Windows 10).

11. Optional step: If you do not want the automatic download of .NET Framework 3.5 during the installation:
  • Go to Control Panel, open "Programs and Features", click on "Turn Windows features on or off".
  • Check the box for ".NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)" (if it is not already checked) and then click OK.

12-15. Steps removed.

16. Install VIDA from the VIDA 2014D DVD:
16a. Step removed.
16b. Locate VIDA Setup (setup.exe) in "D:\Install\DVD\Vida_dvdheader\Main" (NOT the setup.exe in the Vida folder) (substitute D: for your actual VIDA DVD location), right click the file and select Properties, go to the Compatibility tab, check "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows 7" from the drop down list, then click OK.
16c. Now run the "setup.exe", still in the Main folder, UAC will ask for permission, select "Yes".
  • Select VIDA All-in-one and then the language(s) to install. (WARNING! You cannot install another language after you have upgraded SQL!) (For a multi-language setup, first follow this guide and then my "VIDA Multi-language Guide").
  • Leave the default Destination folder as is (C:\VIDA\) and click Next.
  • Accept the License Agreement.
  • If the installation asks to download .NET Framework 3.5, select to "Download and install this feature". After the downloading and installing is done click Close.
  • Sit back and wait, this will take some time, please be patient.
  • When the Vida Configurator shows up (it sometimes hides behind the main installation window), leave the default selection on the Location tab as is, which is "Internet", (do not change anything on the other tabs) click Save and then Close, Close.
  • WARNING! If you get an "Unhandled Exception" during Multi-language setup, see the Troubleshooting section at the end of this guide BEFORE you continue!
  • When Setup asks for a reboot, select "No, I will restart my computer later" and then click Finish.
  • If Windows Firewall Security Alert shows up for "Java(TM) Platform SE binary", tick both "Private networks" and "Public networks" and click "Allow access".

16d. To fix an incompatibility issue with this old Java version that comes pre-installed with VIDA and the Windows Update "KB3163018" (comes pre-installed with Windows 10 v.1607+) you need to update Java:
- Uninstall all Java versions (if not already done so).

16e. Make sure that VidaMonitor and Java are closed (they will be started only if you have installed multi-language, but check to make sure anyway): Start Windows Task Manager and click "More details". Locate and right click "VidaMonitor.exe" on the "Details" tab and select "End task", confirm by clicking "End process". Do the same with java.exe and javaw.exe. Close Windows Task Manager.
- Close Internet Explorer.

16f. Do the following:
  • Install: C:\VIDAInstall\JDK7u80\jdk-7u80-windows-x64.exe
  • Rename "jdk" folder in "C:\VIDA\" to "jdk.old" (or delete it).
  • Copy folder "jdk1.7.0_80" from "C:\Program Files\Java" to "C:\VIDA\".
  • Rename folder "jdk1.7.0_80" in "C:\VIDA\" to "jdk".
  • Uninstall "Java SE Development Kit 7 Update 80 (64-bit)" and "Java 7 Update 80 (64-bit)" from Control Panel Programs and Features, you do not need it anymore as all the files VIDA uses we have already copied.

17. Now it is time to install the VIDA Patch:
17a. Make sure that VidaMonitor is closed: Start Windows Task Manager and click "More details". Locate and right click "VidaMonitor.exe" on the "Details" tab and select "End task", confirm by clicking "End process". Close Windows Task Manager.

17b: Do NOT try to install it by running the exe, instead use Z-zip to unpack the compressed files directly to C: (running it will not always work with this setup and will sometimes not patch the installation correctly).
17c. Right click and select "Extract files..." Enter C: in the "Extract to" field and untick the checkbox under it.
17d. The package will extract to the VIDA-folder, overwrite all files when asked.

If you have an old patch, the following might be needed (fixing the old patch to work with later dates):
17e. Locate the file "license" in the "C:\VIDA\patch" folder and open it with Notepad or any other text editing software.
17f. Find the text: "2017-12-31 23:59:59" and replace it with a much later date, eg. "2027-12-31 23:59:59".
17g. Save and close the file.
17h. Locate the file filldb.cmd in the "C:\VIDA\patch" folder and open it with Notepad or any other text editing software.
17i. Add the following lines after the line ""%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\OSQL.EXE" -S localhost\Vida -U sa -P GunnarS3g3 -i %sqlf% > nul:"
Code:
"%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\OSQL.EXE" -S localhost\Vida -U sa -P GunnarS3g3 -i %sqlf% > nul
"%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Tools\Binn\OSQL.EXE" -S localhost\Vida -U sa -P GunnarS3g3 -i %sqlf% > nul
"%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\130\Tools\Binn\OSQL.EXE" -S localhost\Vida -U sa -P GunnarS3g3 -i %sqlf% > nul
"%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Tools\Binn\OSQL.EXE" -S localhost\Vida -U sa -P GunnarS3g3 -i %sqlf% > nul
"%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\150\Tools\Binn\OSQL.EXE" -S localhost\Vida -U sa -P GunnarS3g3 -i %sqlf% > nul
17j. Save and close the file.

17k. Locate the file filldb.cmd in the "C:\VIDA\patch" folder and then right click on it, select "Run as administrator", UAC will ask for permission, select "Yes". You will briefly see a CMD-prompt that opens and closes quickly, this is by design and no other confirmation will appear.

18. Now apply the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 SP3 Express Service Pack (KB2979597 - a prerequisite for the SQL 2019 upgrade):
18a. Open a Command Prompt: Click Start and enter "CMD", then right click on "Command Prompt" and select "Run as Administrator", UAC will ask for permission, select "Yes". A new CMD-prompt will appear. Copy the following line and then paste it by right clicking in the CMD-window and select "Paste", then hit enter:
Code:
"C:\VIDAInstall\SQL2008R2SP3\SQLServer2008R2SP3-KB2979597-x64-ENU.exe" /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS /ALLINSTANCES /HIDECONSOLE /ENU /QS
- The upgrade of SQL Server will run by itself without any user intervention and may take some time, please be patient. Wait until it is complete and then close the Command Prompt.
18c. Reboot.

19. If Windows Firewall Security Alert shows up for "Java(TM) Platform SE binary", tick both "Private networks" and "Public networks" and click "Allow access".

20. Now you should be ready to try VIDA out, but wait for the VIDA Monitor to change to a green play icon (VIDA Monitor is by the task tray):
20a. Connect your DiCE-device to your computer.
20b. Start VIDA All-In-One
20c. If Internet Explorer ask to use Recommended security and compatibility settings chose "Don't use recommended settings".
20d. If Internet Explorer asks permission to enable Several add-ons, click Choose add-ons and Enable both 'Adobe PDF Link Helper' and 'WebCGMHlprObj Class'. If Internet Explorer only asks permission to enable 'WebCGMHlprObj Class' click "Enable".
20e. Login with admin, 1, 2, 3 or 4, depending on your location/market.

21. To get less problems when updating Windows next time I suggest you follow the optional guide "Upgrading the Volvo VIDA 2014D SQL Server":
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ndows-10-Pro&p=2738305&viewfull=1#post2738305
- Additional Tweaking and Troubleshooting section:

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Trixeo,

Thank you for your tuto, but I still have to face trouble at the end : VIDA NOT OK...

@step 12, even if works as if it upgrades, it does not ask for "- Instance to upgrade: VIDA"

@step 13, that line does not exist : "SQL Server Agent (VIDA)" set to the following: "Log On: Built-in account: Network Service", "Start Mode: Disabled"

@ step 14, i get :
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 Setup Discovery Report
Product Instance Instance ID Feature Language Edition Version Clustered
Sql Server 2005 VIDA MSSQL.1 Database Engine Services 1033 Express Edition 9.2.3077 No
Sql Server 2005 VIDA MSSQL.1 SQL Server Replication 1033 Express Edition 9.2.3077 No
Sql Server 2005 VIDA MSSQL.1 SharedTools 1033 Express Edition 9.2.3077 No

instead of
Sql Server 2008 VIDA MSSQL10_50.VIDA Database Engine Services 1033 Express Edition 10.51.2500.0 No
Sql Server 2008 VIDA MSSQL10_50.VIDA SQL Server Replication 1033 Express Edition 10.51.2500.0 No

if you have any idea...
I continue to use my vmware 2012B...

#3 ·
Hi Trixeo,

Thank you for your tuto, but I still have to face trouble at the end : VIDA NOT OK...

@step 12, even if works as if it upgrades, it does not ask for "- Instance to upgrade: VIDA"

@step 13, that line does not exist : "SQL Server Agent (VIDA)" set to the following: "Log On: Built-in account: Network Service", "Start Mode: Disabled"

@ step 14, i get :
Sql Server 2005 VIDA MSSQL.1 Database Engine Services 1033 Express Edition 9.2.3077 No
Sql Server 2005 VIDA MSSQL.1 SQL Server Replication 1033 Express Edition 9.2.3077 No
Sql Server 2005 VIDA MSSQL.1 SharedTools 1033 Express Edition 9.2.3077 No

instead of
Sql Server 2008 VIDA MSSQL10_50.VIDA Database Engine Services 1033 Express Edition 10.51.2500.0 No
Sql Server 2008 VIDA MSSQL10_50.VIDA SQL Server Replication 1033 Express Edition 10.51.2500.0 No

if you have any idea...
I continue to use my vmware 2012B...
I have today updated the guide, and the only idea I can offer you as of now is that you try it again and read it and do carefully exactly what it says. Do not skip one step. And remember that this guide is for VIDA 2014D. Try it again and please post back and I will try to help you out as best as I can.

#4 ·
Hi,

Another point I did not notice during the prévious install I made :

9c. "X:\3PP\Products\dotNetFramework\dotnetfx35.exe"

=> nothing happens, nothing is installed.
Can it be the origin of the troubles ?

I precise I used a 2014D vida release, and followed the steps.

Regards.

#5 ·
Hi,

Another point I did not notice during the prévious install I made :

9c. "X:\3PP\Products\dotNetFramework\dotnetfx35.exe"

=> nothing happens, nothing is installed.
Can it be the origin of the troubles ?

I precise I used a 2014D vida release, and followed the steps.

Regards.
No, if dotnetfx35.ex is already installed (which it probably is in your case) it will seem as nothing happens, so this is not your problem. You could go the route of uninstalling it with a special tool but I have found that during my trial and error installations that this is meaningless to do.

What I would like you to do instead is following the steps 1 through 8 once more in the guide and then installing and running the now unsupported utility created by Microsoft "Microsoft Windows Install Clean Up 7.2", it cannot longer be downloaded at Microsoft's servers but here's a link to it at Majorgeeks:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_installer_cleanup_utility.html
Run it, and check the list, which can be quite long if you have many programs installed. Check for any SQL instance in the list e.g.
- (All Users) Microsoft SQL Server...
- (All Users) SQL Server...
Did you find any? Which? Make a list and post them here. If so you will have to find a way to completely uninstall them. Removing them with the Windows Installer Clean Up might work but this utility only removes the uninstallation entries and not the files/registry entries installed. Best way would be to first make a list of what exactly is installed, versions of SQL and so on, and then getting the original installation files for them, trying to install or repair the installations, and then finally uninstall them properly.

#6 ·
Hi,

I followed your advice and discovered that I had another SQL Server installed :
firebird SQL Server...

I removed it and was able to run the whole installation.

I had one issue at the end : VIDA monitor was stuck in the red position.
Perhaps I made something wrong during the configuration process.
I will try to reinstall another time.

I will tell you how it works.

Thank you for your help...

#9 ·
Hi,

I have finally been able to run all the step in order to install VIDA on my W10pro... BUT I can not enter any USERNAME. The cursor is blinking but nothing is written.

The patch has been run. (I precise that there is the TASKILL error and another one : windows can not find c:\VIDA\patch\filldb.cmd

If you have any idea...
Thanks for your job and your upgrades !

#57 ·
what was the eventual resolution of this? I see a lot of subsequent talk about DICE, but not the login problem.

Thanks,

#10 · (Edited)
Sorry for not answering earlier. I had that problem myself somewhere along the line. But for the life of me I can't remember what I did to resolve it. I remember though that I noticed that if you right click the username field and select "Inspect element" something was not right, it should say:
Code:
 INPUT onkeyup=check_loginbutton(); id=usernameId class=text maxLength=16 size=16 name=username
but it did not.
All I can say for now is that you do it all again from scratch :(

Check this post for some ideas:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?214968-2014-vida-patch-install-issues

Are you sure you are running the patch .exe and not unzipping it first?
Hi

I had the same issue ... I fixed it by executing the patch. Before I had just extracted the files from the executable zip archive which produced this error. Hope this helps.
Also, patch information:
2014A.exe 137 KB (140 785 bytes)
CRC32: E5F6F31C
MD5: 4E8084C08BDC59CB7D4DA16E708CDD8B
SHA-1: 4A1A38ECBF4608F7E36FDB38867F3A03D96D1B4C

EDIT: Also, did you get the question to install .NET Framework 3.5 during setup? Could be something wrong with your .NET installations, try the new step 3b.

EDIT2: I have tried to replicate your problem now and found that under certain conditions the patch might not install correctly and cause your exact problem. Try this solution in your situation:
1. Make sure that VidaMonitor is closed, start Windows Task Manager and click "More details".
2. Locate and right click "VidaMonitor.exe" on the "Details" tab and select "End task", confirm by clicking "End process".
3. Get WinRAR or 7-zip and use it to unrar the patch to C:\ (instead of executing it)
4. The package will unrar in the VIDA-folder, overwrite files when asked.
5. Locate the file filldb.cmd in "C:\VIDA\patch" and right click it.
6. Select "Run as administrator".
7. Reboot your computer when the patch is done.
Now try to login.

#11 ·
Hi, I have been able to "manually" install the patch.
But... Because there is a but...

I can log in...
I can set a car & its specs in the combobox...

When i click to validate, there is an error (translation from french) "can not handle the class "...diagnostic"" (don't remember the exact message".

I think there is a java issue. I am going to investigate...

#13 ·
Complex? What this guide boils down to is doing these two extra steps before installing VIDA from the DVD:

1. Manually install SQL 2008 R2 SP1 from the VIDA DVD:
- Open a CMD with Administrator rights and run this command in it: (substitute D: for your actual VIDA DVD location)
Code:
"D:\3PP\Products\SqlExpress\SQLEXPR_x86_ENU.EXE" /ACTION=Install /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS /ROLE=AllFeatures_WithDefaults /INSTANCENAME=VIDA /SAPWD=GunnarS3g3 /SECURITYMODE=SQL /SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" /BROWSERSVCSTARTUPTYPE=Automatic /TCPENABLED=1 /HIDECONSOLE /ENU /QS
2. Locate VIDA Setup (setup.exe) in "D:\Install\DVD\Vida_dvdheader\Main" (NOT the setup.exe in the Vida folder) (substitute D: for your actual VIDA DVD location), right click the file and select Properties, go to the Compatibility tab, check "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows 7" from the drop down list, then click OK.

Now do the exact same thing as you would in Windows 7: Run the "setup.exe" in the Main folder and after that run the patch.

All the other steps are optional, and could also apply to a Windows 7 installation of VIDA gone awry.

#14 ·
Hi Trixeo,

I Tried another install from scratch :

Patch is working,
I can log, but I still have to face the same error when I manually set the car type : in french "l'objet ne gère pas la propriété ou a méthode "DiagnosticAllowed""
Translation : The object can not handle the property or the method "DiagnosticAllowed"

....It makes me crazy...
Everything works well under a Win7Pro WMware...

#25 ·
Hi everybody,

Thank you for your help (trixeo & rkam).
I applied both .reg, but it did not work...
I still have the black X instead of the combobox where I should be able to select DICE,
and I still have the error message with "diagnosticallowed" when manually clicking OK.

I also tried step 3b, but did not change anything.

Have you got another hint ?
Do you think that there is a chance of success if I try the last tuto of trixeo with SQL Svr 2014 ?

See You

#17 · (Edited)
Upgrading the Volvo VIDA 2014D SQL Server.

WHAT IS THIS?
This guide is for those of you, like me, who want programs to work at peak performance and up to date. In this guide I will show you how to upgrade Volvo VIDA 2014D in Windows 10 x64 with the latest available Microsoft SQL Server Express instead of the 2008 R2 SP2 one that is somewhat incompatible with at least Windows 10, and full of security holes.
IMPORTANT!
ALL FILES TO BE DOWNLOADED IN THIS OPTIONAL GUIDE MUST BE THE EXACT SPECIFIC VERSION AND LANGUAGE SPECIFIED IN THE GUIDE, DOUBLE CHECK NAME AND SIZE OF THE FILES BEFORE INSTALL!
REVISION HISTORY:
Rev 6. Updated this guide to install with Microsoft SQL Server Express 2019.
Rev 5b. Quick edit; upgrading to SQL 2019 works but I do not have the time to update the guide for that, mainly how to download it, but the workflow would be the same as following this SQL 2017 upgrade.
Rev 5.
- Updated this guide to install with Microsoft SQL Server Express 2017.
Rev 4.
- Removed the 32-bit option (no SQL 2016 x86 exists).
Rev 3.
- Moved the multi-language guide out of this to another optional guide.
Rev 2.
  • Merged this guide with my "Installing Volvo VIDA 2014D on Windows 10 Pro Guide".
  • Updated this guide to install with Microsoft SQL Server Express 2016 instead of Microsoft SQL Server Express 2014 SP1 (thanks to Orfeous)
  • Updated links.
Rev 1.
- First draft.
PREREQUISITES:
  • You need to have followed my "Installing Volvo VIDA 2014D on Windows 10 Guide" and have that up and running, this upgrade will NOT fix a non-working installation of VIDA. Volvo VIDA 2014D and Windows 10 Pro
  • Microsoft Windows 10 x64-only.
WORKFLOW:
a. Follow my "Installing Volvo VIDA 2014D on Windows 10 Guide".
b. Download the necessary files.
c. Upgrade the VIDA database and SQL Server to the latest SQL Server Express.
d. Optional tweaking.
GUIDE:
If you have had a previous version of VIDA installed on your computer or a failed install of VIDA I recommend strongly that you do step 1 through 8 in my "Volvo VIDA 2014D and Windows 10 Pro Guide", BEFORE jumping to step 1 and continuing with this optional guide.

A. Create a temporary directory in C:, name it "VIDAInstall".

B. Download the Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Express installer on this page that, when executed, will present options to perform an installation or download media only. "SQL2019-SSEI-Expr.exe" (6.08 MB) here:
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=866658
- After the download is complete, open the VIDAInstall directory and create a new folder in there, name it "SQL2019". Move the "SQL2019-SSEI-Expr.exe" to the C:\VIDAInstall\SQL2019 folder.

C. Upgrade to Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Express:
  • Locate "C:\VIDAInstall\SQL2019\SQL2019-SSEI-Expr.exe" and run it, UAC will ask for permission, select "Yes".
  • Select "Download Media".
  • Select Language "English"
  • Select Package "Express Core".
  • Select Download Location "C:\VIDAInstall\SQL2019".
  • Select "Download".
  • Wait for the download to complete and then select "Close" and then confirm exit with "Yes".
  • Locate "C:\VIDAInstall\SQL2019\SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe" and run it, UAC will ask for permission, select "Yes".
  • Let it extract to the default path (C:\VIDAInstall\SQL2019\SQLEXPR_x64_ENU\).
  • Select "Upgrade from a previous version of SQL Server".
  • Accept the license terms and click Next.
  • Check the: "Use Microsoft Update to check for updates (recommended)" checkbox and then click Next.
  • Instance to upgrade: "VIDA" and then click Next.
  • The upgrade will now start and can take some time to complete, please wait for it to finish.
  • Finally click Close, and then exit SQL Server Installation Center.

D. Reboot.
- Additional Tweaking and Troubleshooting section:

#19 ·
Have you tried other USB connector on your computer? Also try to do step 3 and remove ALL devices that are disconnected from the computer (the ones that have an icon that is half-visible), do NOT tick the uninstall driver box. Make sure you do not have your DiCE connected while doing this, and reboot your computer after you are done. Then, connect your DiCE.

#23 · (Edited)
1.Locate Java RE folder in Vida - usually : ..\Vida\jdk
2.Determinate actual Java SDK version (Vida use separate then installed in program files Java runtime environment) (for exam Vida 2014D uses SDK6 release 320)
3.Download same version from Oracle but 64bit now and install (usually installed at : OS install drive \ Program Files \ Java \ jdk1.x.0_yy; )
4.Stop and then terminate Vida Monitor process
5.Rename current VIDA JRE folder : ..\Vida\jdk --> ..\jdk_old ;
6.Create new and empty folder: ..\Vida\jdk;
7.Copy 64bit SDK files and folders from installation source (...\ Program Files \ Java \ jdk1.x.0_yy; ) to the new created folder ..\Vida\jdk;
7.Restart OS and wait till Vida Monitor goes in Ready state

P.S. latter you can remove ..\Vida\jdk_old folder and installed in step 3 JDK

#24 · (Edited)
Thanks! Will try that =)
EDIT: I did. And made this guide:
EDIT2: This guide is no longer needed as of Volvo VIDA 2014D and Windows 10 Pro Guide REV 12. Java is already updated to JDK 7 (1.7.0_80) if you've followed that guide.

1. Uninstall all Java versions (if not already done so).
2. Stop VIDA:
- Close Internet Explorer.
- In the system tray, right click the VIDA Monitor icon and select "Stop" and then right click the VIDA Monitor icon again and select "Exit".
3. Download and install the last updated version of Java SE 6 "Java SE Development Kit 6u45" (build 1.6.0_45-b06) Windows x64 (59.96 MB) "jdk-6u45-windows-x64.exe" here: (you need an Oracle account - free)
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/java-archive-downloads-javase6-419409.html
4. Rename "jdk" folder in "C:\VIDA\" to "jdk.32bit".
5. Copy folder "jdk1.6.0_45" from "C:\Program Files\Java" to "C:\VIDA\".
6. Rename folder "jdk1.6.0_45" in "C:\VIDA\" to "jdk".
7. Uninstall "Java(TM) SE Development Kit Update 45 (64-bit)" and "Java(TM) 6 Update 45 (64-bit)"
8. Start VIDA Monitor ("C:\VIDA\VidaMonitor.exe") and wait for the icon to turn to a green play icon and then start VIDA All-In-One.
9. If all is good and works ok, feel free to delete the folder "jdk.32bit" in "C:\VIDA\".

Note: The original Java SE 6 (32-bit) that was installed with Volvo VIDA 2014D is "Java SE Development Kit 6u32" (build 1.6.0_32-b05). I have found no errors using the 64-bit last updated version of Java SE 6 "Java SE Development Kit 6u45" (build 1.6.0_45-b06) instead.

So, what is depending on the Java SE 6 in VIDA, you might ask. It is the JBoss Application Server 7 which is used by VIDA to host its web-based content. After the last JBoss version 7.1.1 (which is the one that comes installed with Volvo VIDA 2014D) it changed name to WildFly. There IS a way to update JBoss to the latest version of WildFly in order to run the Java SE 7 but it is not an easy way and probably not something I will look into.

An updated version of IsoView would probably be cool though.
EDIT: Tried later IsoView but it was too buggy so I will not bother with a guide.

#26 ·
Hmm, open regedit and check that the settings really stick. Check these two:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MICROSOFT\.NETFramework
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework
both keys should have the setting "EnableIEHosting"=dword:00000001

#30 ·
My main computer with a working VIDA has been upgraded from Windows 7 Ult, then to Windows 8 Pro, then to Windows 8.1 Pro and finally to Windows 10 Pro.

Try resetting yor firewall settings.
Try cmd-prompt and enter the command sfc /scannow. If this didn't help I suggest you do a repair install of Windows 10 with an in-place upgrade:
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

#32 ·
I made these 3 steps, trying between each one, but I still face the issue with the black X under Communication Tool & the method error "diagnosticallowed" - snif...
I think I am going to use a caddy with a dedicated HDD loaded with W7 to make it work. WM under W10 is very slow.

If I find out something new, I let you know.

#33 ·
Sorry to hear that, I am out of ideas... maybe a regional problem? What language of os and what regional options do you have? I would give a clean install of W10 on a different hdd on the same system a try, would be interesting to know what exactly the problem is. Hyper-V in W10 is really fast, that's what I've been using trying out the different configurations of VIDA writing the guides.

#36 ·
The black X and Diagnosticallowed error was back today. Probably due to a recent Windows update.
The EnableIEHosting registry keys were gone, but after adding these keys again, Vida started working as it should.
I'm running Windows 10 Home, Version 1511, OS.build 10586.3. 64-bit
The laptop was purchased with Windows 8.1 and upgraded some weeks ago.
No virtual machine.

#38 ·
I'm at a loss in this matter, have tried almost all scenarios myself on different installations but never on a French version though.
I would do a total cleanup (do step 1-7b in my first guide, make sure to do 3b AFTER you have uninstalled ".NET Framework 3.5": Control panel/Programs and Features/Turn Windows features on or off and clear the checkbox for ".NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET and 3.0)" (uninstall it) and also make sure you do not have any .NET Framework 4.6 Advanced Services installed.). And then uninstall ALL Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables and ALL Microsoft Visual Studio, and maybe more -- could you do a screendump of your installed applications from control panel/Programs and Features. Also a dump of the Microsoft Windows Install Clean Up utility.