Volvo VIDA 2014D and Windows 10 Pro - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by Joe V View Post
      I did some research about SQL 8 and 8 R2 and learned that both are not compatible with Windows 10.
      Here is the link https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2681562

Could this have something to do with my problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
      No. SQL 8 R2 are not supported by Microsoft on Windows 10, however it does work for this particular application. Your problem would be others problems too if this was the reason.
      Try post #10

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 240gator View Post
      Wow. Can't believe I didn't find this earlier. Amazing guide and I've read several that did not result in a successful installation. I did this on a fresh Windows 10 with no history of VIDA and on a older cluttered Windows 10 with many failed VIDA attempts. Both installed fine by following the guide. I will note that I got the black X error on both computers but the merging of the file in the utils folder worked perfect. Also on the cluttered computer, I tried to apply the patch and got an error stating that port 80 was in use. Found by looking for PID 4 as that was the only instruction the error gave and determined that the windows service W3SVC was using port 80. Once I stopped that service the patch applied fine. No more VM needed to run VIDA! Thanks!
      Glad to be of help =)
      Yes, that's correct, if you have another webserver running at port 80 the VIDA-webserver can not start unless you change the port of the other webserver/change VIDA-webserver port or stop the other webserver.

Quote Originally Posted by trixeo View Post
      Glad to be of help =)
      Mucho thanks for your work on this... While I was willing to reimage a spare laptop to Win7 32-bit, your steps were spot-on and am happy to report that I got Vida 2014D to work on a Windows10 Pro 64-bit laptop

This picture was taken just before I reset the fluid counter.

My VICE unit was purchased from a US-based eBay seller (electradecentre) for less than $90 with shipping. It has the same multicolored LEDs and supposedly green circuit board.
      Last edited by db130; 03-28-2016 at 05:02 PM.
      2002 V70 T5a 194k RTI/Hilton Stage 1/336mm brakes/Bilstein B8s/H&R springs
      2002 V70 NA 278k HU-803/T5 suspension/305mm brakes
      2003 V70 T5m 251k Hilton Stage 2/Delrin subframe bushings/R front sway bar/R manifold/Jetex catback/Re-Volv DP/Simota CCI
      2013 S60 T6 R-Design 69k IPD RSB

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Thanks so much! I followed the guide exactly and was able to install on a MacBook running Windows 10 on bootcamp. I previously had Windows 7 installed on the machine and Vida worked great. I updated to 10 with great apprehension because I feared I wouldn't be able to install Vida (the only program I actually needed).

I followed one of your older guides from a Swedish site but I didn't work too well (may Google translate). Glad I found this post.
      02 V70XC Silver Metallic 101K (kid's)
      13 S60 T6 AWD (mine)
      14 XC60 T6 (wife's)

Volvo VIDA 2014D and Windows 10 Pro

My DICE was a working fine with VIDA 2014A last fall but today I went to plug it in and I got no USB communication. I might try your step 3 but I also suppose now is the time for me to wipe my Win 7 VM clean and start fresh with Win 10 VM and VIDA 2014D following your instructions. I just need to find a computer with a DVD drive so I can copy the disc to a hard drive since my MacBook Air has none.

I try to download and VIDA and perpetually get the VIDA NOT OK error and it won't download. I read someone else had the same problem with the SQL servers and they got theirs to download but mine kind of did. I did run the discovery and it had the two things on there. As far as I know I dont have the .NET thing (not really sure what that does)

Now I try to download VIDA and it says it "cannot start the SQL browser" and it terminates the setup

What could I do? I can take the engine out of your car but I can barely perform computer operations...
      Last edited by MvI_S60R; 05-19-2016 at 01:02 AM.
      // '06 S60R M66 | Magic Blue | 19" FC04A's | KW V2 | Stage 2.25 | All the mods | MY BUILD THREAD
      /// '20 V90 R-design | Bursting Blue | Advanced | 4C Air

may I suggest you take the easy way out?

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...rtualbox-image

that way you never have to set it up again, even if you change PCs.
      Also, I'm not that far away from Stow and I'm a professional nerd.
      You can bring it to my shop if you want, or I can come there you can school me in volvo idiosyncrasies and I can set it all up for you.
      PM if interested.

I appreciate all the hard work you put into this guide. But after screwing around with Windows 10 Edu on a VirtualBox VM and a torrent of 2014D for the better part of a week I gave up. I kept getting VIDA NOT OKAY and DiCE driver issues that could not be resolved. This was following each step in post #17 to the letter. Instead, I decided to revert back to a clean install of Windows 7 Pro and load 2014D from the disc that came with my DiCE. My Macbook Air doesn't have a built in disc drive so I had to buy a $25 Samsung SE-208GB external drive (this was the main obstacle that had me using torrents of 2014A and 2014D in the first place). I was back up and running in about 30 minutes.

My install process went like this:
      Uninstall VirtualBox
      Download and install latest VirtualBox and extension pack
      Create new Windows 7 Pro 32-bit VM on VirtualBox with 60GB virtual disk and 4GB RAM
      Install Windows 7 Pro from VM>Devices>Optical Drives>Choose Disk Image>ISO saved on my Mac hard drive
      Activate OS using product key
      Reboot VM
      Take VM Snapshot
      Insert VirtualBox Guest Additions CD and install on VM
      Reboot VM
      Upgrade IE8 to IE11
      Reboot VM
      Install VIDA-All-In-One from external DVD drive
      Downloaded and installed WinRAR
      Extracted .rar patch file from external DVD drive to C:\
      Extracted .exe patch file from C:\ to C:\ and overwrite all files
      Reboot VM
      Ran the DiCE setup application from external DVD drive to install the drivers, diagnostic tool and firmware update tool
      Discover that DiCE was not Windows PnP despite my VirtualBox having no trouble recognizing the DiCE and the Setek AB DiCE driver
      Reconfigure VM to use USB 2.0 (EHCI) Controller instead of USB 3.0 (xHCI) controller
      Reboot VM
      Wait for the VIDA task bar icon light to show green
      Open VIDA-All-In-One from desktop icon
      Connect DiCE to vehicle OBD port
      Connect DiCE to computer USB port
      Select VM>Devices>USB>Setek AB DiCE
      Allow Windows to automatically detect hardware and install DiCE driver
      Type Admin in username field and click enter
      Click DEFINE VEHICLE PROFILE
      Go to Partner Group and select AME
      Make sure DiCE-206751 is selected from Communication tool drop down
      Click READ VEHICLE
      After vehicle profile is successfully loaded, click OK and then you are free to use the INFORMATION and DIAGNOSTIC tabs
      Logout of VIDA
      Take VM Snapshot

After all of this experience I can truly say that Windows is the worst OS and VIDA is needlessly complicated to install, probably due to the decision to run on Windows. I hate Linux command line stuff but even setting up my Linux NAS device headless was way easier than coming to grips with Windows 10 and VIDA, and I am someone who has used every version of Windows going back to 3.1 and who currently uses a Windows 7 machine every single day at work. Apple ain't perfect but my Mac does most things right most of the time without complaint or fuss.

Patch and EWD

Hi guys,

New here.

Thanks for all the help especially Trixeo. I bought an ebay model with 2014D. I initially just ran the accompanying DVD that bombed out immediately due to my Windows 10. The DVD video was all in Chinese so didn't really help so I found myself here reading this great thread. I solved installation problem with the command prompt entry. I then rightly or wrongly (as my Windows was not a clean fresh install) worked through and uninstalled the SQL bits as instructed in the lower numbers of the guide. Vida then installed. I ran the patch at the end and the red icon went green after a while, I loaded Vida okay however this was before i had connected the Dice or even gone near the car. As instructed I rebooted the PC. I connected the Dice and Vida recognised it and connected to the car and read the car. So mostly OK. However two points I need help with please.

1) When windows boots if Vida is set to auto load it will come up with an error like "can't connect to database". I have to close it and launch the patch again. So, instead load windows with Vida auto load disabled, then run patch and run Vida, how do I correct that? It's like the patch doesn't save/stick, even though it installs various files to c:\ etc.

2) When I go in Vida and launch the Wiring diagrams, the page tab opens to say that EWD has not been installed. I was lead to believe this was the full version so I went sniffing through disc and found in 3PP/Tools/EWD/Interop.Scripting.dll, NoProgress.dll, and VIDAEWDInstall.exe, I launched VIDAEWDInstall.exe and a pop up occurs and something happens but still they do not work. I have the separate PDF anyway for my car, but that's not the point. Again can someone assist please?

Very grateful, thanks muchly in advance.

PS thanks also about the port 80, PID 4 part. I went to services and disabled World Wide Web publishing and that enabled it to intstal/work further.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon_007 View Post
      Hi guys,

New here.

Thanks for all the help especially Trixeo. I bought an ebay model with 2014D. I initially just ran the accompanying DVD that bombed out immediately due to my Windows 10. The DVD video was all in Chinese so didn't really help so I found myself here reading this great thread. I solved installation problem with the command prompt entry. I then rightly or wrongly (as my Windows was not a clean fresh install) worked through and uninstalled the SQL bits as instructed in the lower numbers of the guide. Vida then installed. I ran the patch at the end and the red icon went green after a while, I loaded Vida okay however this was before i had connected the Dice or even gone near the car. As instructed I rebooted the PC. I connected the Dice and Vida recognised it and connected to the car and read the car. So mostly OK. However two points I need help with please.

1) When windows boots if Vida is set to auto load it will come up with an error like "can't connect to database". I have to close it and launch the patch again. So, instead load windows with Vida auto load disabled, then run patch and run Vida, how do I correct that? It's like the patch doesn't save/stick, even though it installs various files to c:\ etc.

2) When I go in Vida and launch the Wiring diagrams, the page tab opens to say that EWD has not been installed. I was lead to believe this was the full version so I went sniffing through disc and found in 3PP/Tools/EWD/Interop.Scripting.dll, NoProgress.dll, and VIDAEWDInstall.exe, I launched VIDAEWDInstall.exe and a pop up occurs and something happens but still they do not work. I have the separate PDF anyway for my car, but that's not the point. Again can someone assist please?

Very grateful, thanks muchly in advance.

PS thanks also about the port 80, PID 4 part. I went to services and disabled World Wide Web publishing and that enabled it to intstal/work further.
      Hi Leon, I do not understand exactly in which order you installed "I solved installation problem with the command prompt entry. I then rightly or wrongly (as my Windows was not a clean fresh install) worked through and uninstalled the SQL bits as instructed in the lower numbers of the guide". You should follow step 1-22 on the first guide in the first post in this thread. If that does not work, two things you can try is to unpack the patch and run it manually once (post #10), the other is to merge EnableIEHosting (post #16). Do not skip anything in the guide, like skipping the CCleaner thing, which among other things removes possible block of java in the Windows firewall, follow the guide step by step, print it out and cross out the steps you do along the way.

1) I do not remember there is an option to not autoload Vida on Windows start, do not change that behavior, at least not until you have the setup fully working.

2) EWD is not a part of the the VIDA installation DVD, it's on a separate DVD. EWD only has cars 2005 an up (for some MY 2004). This site has alot more though its meny system is in Russian, http://www.volvotechinfo.ru/EWD/Rus/index.html

There is a way to change the port VIDA uses which I used a long time when I had to have IIS on port 80, however I have lost the information on how to accomplish this but I will dig up the information again if anyone needs it. As I recall it was merely to change a plain text file in the VIDA directory and change the port accordingly in the Windows firewall.

I just noticed Vidamonitor showing a question mark today.
      My Win10 laptop received a Windows update yesterday, so I guess It's a Microsoft issue as usual.

VidaMonitor.log

18.06.2016 12:20:48 : Log started
      18.06.2016 12:20:48 : Reading configuration file system\config\VidaMonitor.conf.xml
      18.06.2016 12:20:48 : Debug set to false
      18.06.2016 12:20:48 : Checking databases
      18.06.2016 12:20:48 : SQL server started
      18.06.2016 12:20:48 : Trying to open a connection database server (Master DB)
      18.06.2016 12:20:48 : A connection is open
      18.06.2016 12:20:48 : Found database AccessServer
      18.06.2016 12:20:48 : Found database BaseData
      18.06.2016 12:20:48 : Found database CarCom
      18.06.2016 12:20:48 : Found database DiagSwdlRepository
      18.06.2016 12:20:48 : Found database DiagSwdlSession
      18.06.2016 12:20:48 : Found database DiceTiming
      18.06.2016 12:20:48 : Found database imagerepository
      18.06.2016 12:20:48 : Found database EPC
      18.06.2016 12:20:48 : Number of deletete cache files: 1
      18.06.2016 12:20:48 : Checking JBoss remoting port 4447
      18.06.2016 12:20:48 : Starting JBoss
      18.06.2016 12:20:48 : Wait for+ java to start. Checking port 80
      18.06.2016 12:25:02 : Process java waited too long to start
      18.06.2016 12:25:02 : Process java didn't start
      18.06.2016 12:25:02 : VIDA failed to start
      18.06.2016 12:34:10 : Trying to shut down JBoss gracefully
      18.06.2016 12:34:12 : JBoss shut down
      18.06.2016 12:34:12 : Killing cmd

I couldn't find any Java installed on my machine, so first I installed the latest new ones for win64 and win32.
      Then I removed them and installed the version 6 SDK and copied it to c:\vida\sdk (renaming the old one to sdk-old)
      Same error still, so I suppose it is not a java thing.
      SQL also seems to be working, and http://localhost is showing a welcome page for Jboss Application Server 7.

http://localhost/vida

Error Page

Technical Support

Sorry, an error occured processing your request
      You got a javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: Define tag cannot set a null value

javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: Define tag cannot set a null value
      at org.apache.struts.taglib.bean.DefineTag.doEndTag(D efineTag.java:272)
      at org.apache.jsp.jsp.login.login_jsp._jspService(log in_jsp.java:348)
      at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(Http JspBase.java:70)
      at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:847)
      at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.servic e(JspServletWrapper.java:369)
      at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFil e(JspServlet.java:326)
      at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspSe rvlet.java:253)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.in ternalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:329)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.do Filter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:248)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.inv oke(ApplicationDispatcher.java:840)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.pro cessRequest(ApplicationDispatcher.java:622)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doF orward(ApplicationDispatcher.java:560)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.for ward(ApplicationDispatcher.java:488)
      at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.doForwar d(RequestProcessor.java:1069)
      at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processF orwardConfig(RequestProcessor.java:455)
      at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process( RequestProcessor.java:279)
      at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(Act ionServlet.java:1482)
      at com.ford.vcc.vida.web.servlet.AccessActionServlet. process(AccessActionServlet.java:20)
      at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doGet(Actio nServlet.java:507)
      at com.ford.vcc.vida.web.servlet.AccessActionServlet. doGet(AccessActionServlet.java:25)
      at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:734)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.in ternalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:329)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.do Filter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:248)
      at com.ford.vcc.vida.web.servlet.ActivityFilter.doFil ter(ActivityFilter.java:29)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.in ternalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:280)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invo ke(StandardWrapperValve.java:275)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invo ke(StandardContextValve.java:161)
      at org.jboss.as.web.security.SecurityContextAssociati onValve.invoke(SecurityContextAssociationValve.jav a:153)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke( StandardHostValve.java:155)
      at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke (ErrorReportValve.java:102)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invok e(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
      at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.servic e(CoyoteAdapter.java:368)
      at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(H ttp11Processor.java:877)
      at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11Conn ectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:671)
      at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run( JIoEndpoint.java:930)
      at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

This is why I recommend a VIDA inside a VirtualBox running Windows 7 with the network adapter and Windows updates turned off. VIDA and Windows are too unstable otherwise and you will continue to encounter such issues.

Quote Originally Posted by rkam View Post
      I just noticed Vidamonitor showing a question mark today.
      My Win10 laptop received a Windows update yesterday, so I guess It's a Microsoft issue as usual.

VidaMonitor.log

18.06.2016 12:20:48 : Log started
      18.06.2016 12:20:48 : Reading configuration file system\config\VidaMonitor.conf.xml
      18.06.2016 12:20:48 : Debug set to false
      18.06.2016 12:20:48 : Checking databases
      18.06.2016 12:20:48 : SQL server started
      18.06.2016 12:20:48 : Trying to open a connection database server (Master DB)
      18.06.2016 12:20:48 : A connection is open
      18.06.2016 12:20:48 : Found database AccessServer
      18.06.2016 12:20:48 : Found database BaseData
      18.06.2016 12:20:48 : Found database CarCom
      18.06.2016 12:20:48 : Found database DiagSwdlRepository
      18.06.2016 12:20:48 : Found database DiagSwdlSession
      18.06.2016 12:20:48 : Found database DiceTiming
      18.06.2016 12:20:48 : Found database imagerepository
      18.06.2016 12:20:48 : Found database EPC
      18.06.2016 12:20:48 : Number of deletete cache files: 1
      18.06.2016 12:20:48 : Checking JBoss remoting port 4447
      18.06.2016 12:20:48 : Starting JBoss
      18.06.2016 12:20:48 : Wait for+ java to start. Checking port 80
      18.06.2016 12:25:02 : Process java waited too long to start
      18.06.2016 12:25:02 : Process java didn't start
      18.06.2016 12:25:02 : VIDA failed to start
      18.06.2016 12:34:10 : Trying to shut down JBoss gracefully
      18.06.2016 12:34:12 : JBoss shut down
      18.06.2016 12:34:12 : Killing cmd

I couldn't find any Java installed on my machine, so first I installed the latest new ones for win64 and win32.
      Then I removed them and installed the version 6 SDK and copied it to c:\vida\sdk (renaming the old one to sdk-old)
      Same error still, so I suppose it is not a java thing.
      SQL also seems to be working, and http://localhost is showing a welcome page for Jboss Application Server 7.

http://localhost/vida

Error Page

Technical Support

Sorry, an error occured processing your request
      You got a javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: Define tag cannot set a null value

javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: Define tag cannot set a null value
      at org.apache.struts.taglib.bean.DefineTag.doEndTag(D efineTag.java:272)
      at org.apache.jsp.jsp.login.login_jsp._jspService(log in_jsp.java:348)
      at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(Http JspBase.java:70)
      at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.servic e(JspServletWrapper.java:369)
      at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFil e(JspServlet.java:326)
      at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspSe rvlet.java:253)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.inv oke(ApplicationDispatcher.java:840)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.pro cessRequest(ApplicationDispatcher.java:622)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doF orward(ApplicationDispatcher.java:560)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.for ward(ApplicationDispatcher.java:488)
      at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.doForwar d(RequestProcessor.java:1069)
      at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processF orwardConfig(RequestProcessor.java:455)
      at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process( RequestProcessor.java:279)
      at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(Act ionServlet.java:1482)
      at com.ford.vcc.vida.web.servlet.AccessActionServlet. process(AccessActionServlet.java:20)
      at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doGet(Actio nServlet.java:507)
      at com.ford.vcc.vida.web.servlet.AccessActionServlet. doGet(AccessActionServlet.java:25)
      at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:734)
      at com.ford.vcc.vida.web.servlet.ActivityFilter.doFil ter(ActivityFilter.java:29)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.in ternalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:280)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invo ke(StandardWrapperValve.java:275)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invo ke(StandardContextValve.java:161)
      at org.jboss.as.web.security.SecurityContextAssociati onValve.invoke(SecurityContextAssociationValve.jav a:153)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke( StandardHostValve.java:155)
      at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke (ErrorReportValve.java:102)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invok e(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
      at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.servic e(CoyoteAdapter.java:368)
      at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(H ttp11Processor.java:877)
      at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11Conn ectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:671)
      at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run( JIoEndpoint.java:930)
      at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
      I too opened VIDA last night to get the ? - Question mark error in the system tray and also note that Windows did do an update that day. I have just completely uninstalled it as per Trixeo's instructions and the followed his latest draft of instructions to a T. I get the ? - question mark still and in the error log on explorer it reads identically to what is quoted above. Very frustrating as I should really be in bed all day for night shifts tonight but when a bee is in your bonnet! Seems a definite JAVA thing from what is in the log, but what do I know!

Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      This is why I recommend a VIDA inside a VirtualBox running Windows 7 with the network adapter and Windows updates turned off. VIDA and Windows are too unstable otherwise and you will continue to encounter such issues.
      If you are lucky enough to have something better than Windows 10 Home that is.

All, I just got loaded OK. I looked at the Windows update history. There were three I think from 2 days ago. I could only select this to be removed. Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3163018). After removing and rebooting I could get a green run tick on VIDA and loaded edge to log in.

Trixeo, apologies for not replying properly from my post a while ago. But here's an update. I uninstalled as per your instructions. Then reinstalled in exactly the order you wrote. I just noticed i still get the same problem when launching VIDA to load. "Can't find database". I run the patch again (which is what I had to do last week each time) and JAVA runtime/firewall exception asks for permission for private networks, OK that, then VIDA goes from red to yellow as it loads, to eventually go to green. It is like it doesn't save the settings of the patch? I would rather this round-the-houses method than VIDA not loading at all, but to get to the bottom of this would be great.

Problems with KB3163018? See my latest revision.
      Last edited by trixeo; 08-13-2016 at 06:34 PM.

I just removed the update and got Vida working before I noticed your post trixeo.
      I might try to reinstall the update if it is otherwise safe.
      Thank you both Leon_007 and trixeo.

My pleasure rkam, Trixeo is the main man though!

Thanks Trixeo for the post, I downloaded the JAVA bits and put in their places, reloaded VIDA OK, however haven't connected to the internet yet to let Windows update yet as I'm not able to connect that PC until tomorrow, but there should be no reason to not think it will not work afterwards.

Whilst I have your eye. In reference to your answer to my post dated 5/6/16 (above).

a) Thanks for the EWD info.

b) When I load VIDA from fresh it says "Can't find database", I headed your advice and cleaned/uninstalled used ccleaner, everything and reinstalled following everything. It will still say it when first launching VIDA by means of the monitor shortcut. By this I mean, as in, Windows has loaded and the VIDA icon is not even part of the system tray, as opposed to it being there waiting in red. So when I first go to load it. It will say "can't find database" UNTIL I run the patch, then it goes red/yellow/green. Patch wise, I am using the file that came on the accompanying VIDA 2014D DVD that came with the DICE box. The file is "VOLVO VIDA 2014D Patch.exe" and is 137KB in size. Does this sound right? In your instructions I have seen you speak of a 2014A file and that it will work with D also, is this available to d/l?

Hold the press! After going back to page 1 of this thread, I saw this...

Also, patch information:
      2014A.exe 137 KB (140 785 bytes)
      CRC32: E5F6F31C
      MD5: 4E8084C08BDC59CB7D4DA16E708CDD8B
      SHA-1: 4A1A38ECBF4608F7E36FDB38867F3A03D96D1B4C

EDIT: Also, did you get the question to install .NET Framework 3.5 during setup? Could be something wrong with your .NET installations, try the new step 3b.

EDIT2: I have tried to replicate your problem now and found that under certain conditions the patch might not install correctly and cause your exact problem. Try this solution in your situation:
      1. Make sure that VidaMonitor is closed, start Windows Task Manager and click "More details".
      2. Locate and right click "VidaMonitor.exe" on the "Details" tab and select "End task", confirm by clicking "End process".
      3. Get WinRAR or 7-zip and use it to unrar the patch to C:\ (instead of executing it)
      4. The package will unrar in the VIDA-folder, overwrite files when asked.
      5. Locate the file filldb.cmd in "C:\VIDA\patch" and right click it.
      6. Select "Run as administrator".
      7. Reboot your computer when the patch is done.
      Now try to login.
      I was always running the patch and not unzipping/extracting it to c:\, hence I never had a c:\VIDA\patch folder. I have just done what is said in EDIT 2, and hey presto it works and no database error and also loads far faster than before!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Leon_007 View Post
      Hold the press! After going back to page 1 of this thread, I saw this...

I was always running the patch and not unzipping/extracting it to c:\, hence I never had a c:\VIDA\patch folder. I have just done what is said in EDIT 2, and hey presto it works and no database error and also loads far faster than before!

Thanks!
      Hmmm, to add. The Windows update that we discussed above that I removed before Trixeo gave out the JAVA fix re-downloaded itself. When I tried to load VIDA I got the same ? symbol. So looked in the JAVA security file and still had the bouncycastle edit. I removed the bouncycastle back to sun microsystems standard file. Back to JAVA load error and even a .NET error. Reinserted the bouncycastle line to the form and deleted the sun part. This time it got to the red arrow only to stop with my old favourite " can not connect to database" If you look above you will see I was getting this as was just running the patch and not unrarring it to C:\ and that was never ended up with a c:\VIDA\Patch folder. To get round it VIDA would load by running the patch each time Windows had loaded. Any for a week it had worked by rarring the patch. But since the update that doesn't work anymore. Even though I have the patch folder present and have both rarred it and ran the patch. I am back to can not find database and hence have to run the patch (not rar) to start VIDA.

UPDATE:

So, when you run the patch it deletes the patch folder from C:\vida. There are two ways of doing this. A) Un rar the patch and then change the folder name from patch to patchold, go into patchold and rightclick file filldb.cmd and click run as administrator. Then RUN the patch and then rename the patchold folder to patch. OR B) Run the patch, then un rar the patch and go into patch folder and rightclick file filldb.cmd and click run as administrator. Reboot. Should load OK.
      Last edited by Leon_007; 06-23-2016 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Corrected fault

The Windows update came back here too and stopped Vida, but the .jar files and security provider fix worked. So Vida is back up and running.

help

Problems with KB3163018? See my latest revision 9:
      Rev 9.
      - After Windows Update installs KB3163018, Java does not work properly and VIDA fails to start (added step 16d).

16d. To fix an incompatibility issue with this old Java version that comes pre-installed with VIDA and Windows Update "KB3163018" you need to do the following:
      - Go to https://www.bouncycastle.org/latest_releases.html and download both "bcprov-ext-jdk15on-154.jar" and "bcprov-jdk15on-154.jar".
      - After downloading these two files, move them to the folder "C:\VIDA\jdk\jre\lib\ext\"
      - Open the file "C:\VIDA\jdk\jre\lib\security\java.security" in a text editor.
      - Find the line "security.provider.1=sun.security.provider.Sun" and replace it with "security.provider.1=org.bouncycastle.jce.provider. BouncyCastleProvider" or comment out the original line with a # so it looks like this:
      Code:
       security.provider.1=org.bouncycastle.jce.provider.BouncyCastleProvider
       #security.provider.1=sun.security.provider.Sun
      Never mind the rest of the security providers.
      - Save the file overwriting the original.

You do not have to follow the whole guide if you had VIDA working before KB3163018, just do this step 16d and then reboot.
      Hello.
      I do everything on the instructions already 5 times. Nothing happens. Error java startup type. Vida does not start. Help. Where I'm wrong.
      Files downloaded in the folder "C: \ VIDA \ jdk \ jre \ lib \ ext \" put.
      I can not correctly edit a file? You can already put the edited file (java.security) for download?
      Help

Problems with KB3163018? See my latest revision 9:
      Rev 9.
      - After Windows Update installs KB3163018, Java does not work properly and VIDA fails to start (added step 16d).

16d. To fix an incompatibility issue with this old Java version that comes pre-installed with VIDA and Windows Update "KB3163018" you need to do the following:
      - Go to https://www.bouncycastle.org/latest_releases.html and download both "bcprov-ext-jdk15on-154.jar" and "bcprov-jdk15on-154.jar".
      - After downloading these two files, move them to the folder "C:\VIDA\jdk\jre\lib\ext\"
      - Open the file "C:\VIDA\jdk\jre\lib\security\java.security" in a text editor.
      - Find the line "security.provider.1=sun.security.provider.Sun" and replace it with "security.provider.1=org.bouncycastle.jce.provider. BouncyCastleProvider" or comment out the original line with a # so it looks like this:
      Code:
       security.provider.1=org.bouncycastle.jce.provider.BouncyCastleProvider
       #security.provider.1=sun.security.provider.Sun
      Never mind the rest of the security providers.
      - Save the file overwriting the original.

You do not have to follow the whole guide if you had VIDA working before KB3163018, just do this step 16d and then reboot.

Thank you trixeo.
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

Quote Originally Posted by Juger View Post
      Hello.
      I do everything on the instructions already 5 times. Nothing happens. Error java startup type. Vida does not start. Help. Where I'm wrong.
      Files downloaded in the folder "C: \ VIDA \ jdk \ jre \ lib \ ext \" put.
      I can not correctly edit a file? You can already put the edited file (java.security) for download?
      Help
      Make sure you get the full file from the download link. The first time I downloaded it appeared to finish but was too small. Full file size should be in the 3.2mb range for both files. Once I used the properly downloaded file, moved it and restarted, vida turned green quick.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone.
      1985 240 Turbo 330K | 1995 Yellow T5-R 238K | 1996 850 Turbo 250K | 2005 S40 2.4i 178K | 2005 XC90 2.5T 240K | 2006 C70 T5 214K | 2007 S40 T5 170K

New problem with the latest Windows Security update.

After installing latest windows 10 Security update my VIDA stopped working . The only work around I found is to remove and Block the update.

Here is what I need to do to install VIDA on my computer. If you are having problems hopfully this will help. I seem to be spending mor time fixing VIDA then fixing my car.

VIDA Instructions (Windows 10)
      (After you upgraded to windows 10)

1. Insert the disk in the CD-ROM
      2. Choose VIDA all-in-one
      3. Choose the Language – English is Default
      8. Follow the steps (Install on your C: drive)
      4.At the end at VIDA Configuration choose INTERNET connection type.
      5 Copy the VIDA2013A_patch.exe to the C: drive
      6. After reboot run the file VIDA2013A_patch. The patch should go on C: (not in C:\VIDA)
      7. Login with ADMIN or 1

Note: When restarting Windows 7 you need to reinstall the VIDA2013A_patch to launch Vida. (So create a short cut on the Windows 7 Desk Top)

If a new window will pop-up asking for username/password just close it and on the previous windows you will be logged in already

Microsoft just released a security update that kills VIDA on windows 10 computers. If your VIDA Monitor won’t go from Yellow to green after June 15 , 2016 remove then disable (Hide this update)
      -Down load the Windows 10 Update Hider at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930
      -Go to Settings/ Update & Security/Windows Update/Advanced Options/View update History/ Uninstall Updates
      -Un install the (Cumulatve Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64 based Systems (KB3163018))
      -Run the wushowhide.diagcab update hider then hide the above update
      -Reboot your computer

Your determination is impressive, but ultimately, I believe all your efforts to be futile. Next month will be another Windows 10 update that breaks VIDA, time lost finding a solution, most likely rolling back the update, which leaves your system vulnerable in other ways. All the trials and tribulations I've experienced myself and witnessed in this thread continue to convince me that the best approach is a dedicated Win7 machine or at least a dedicated Win7 virtual machine with auto updates turned off and network adapter/internet access turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by VictorVDC View Post
      New problem with the latest Windows Security update.

After installing latest windows 10 Security update my VIDA stopped working . The only work around I found is to remove and Block the update.

You must have missed something really important in this thread, the fix for this is absolutely not to uninstall any updates. Just read my post #86 above.

Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      Your determination is impressive, but ultimately, I believe all your efforts to be futile. Next month will be another Windows 10 update that breaks VIDA, time lost finding a solution, most likely rolling back the update, which leaves your system vulnerable in other ways. All the trials and tribulations I've experienced myself and witnessed in this thread continue to convince me that the best approach is a dedicated Win7 machine or at least a dedicated Win7 virtual machine with auto updates turned off and network adapter/internet access turned off.
      I have used VIDA for years and this is nothing special that is happening in Windows 10 compared to earlier versions. There are only two problems that I have seen using VIDA 2014D with Windows 10 and one of those was not by and update. Summary = One update to Windows 10 has stopped VIDA from working and you come to the conclusion that this will happen again next month? The fix for this update is to patch the outdated Java that VIDA is using. See my post #86.

First, thank you so much for this guide. I followed the SQL 2014 guide to a "T" and was able to install VIDA no problem (on my own I got stuck setting up the stupid SQL database, didn't know what parameters to use). Windows though decided today was the day to install some updates (not the one outlined in this guide surprisingly) and now my installation gets the Java error you've outlined. I went through your steps to get around it by downloading the requisite .jar files, moving them to the proper folder, and modifying the java.security file. However, in my fervor to get the installation running again I made the most rookie mistake of all when modifying files and forgot to back up the original. I think I may have got some syntax wrong as now VIDA sits there "Starting" ad infinitum. So if anyone has the original java.security file so I can try again I'd greatly appreciate it. I'd really rather not reinstall the whole thing as I finally got everything working. If it's on the disk or if anyone has the modified file that would be great too. I tried searching on the disk but couldn't find it. Thanks guys!
      Nautic/Charcoal 2000 V70 SE MT with 180,000 miles (DD) | 18" anthracite pegs, OE fogs, XC grill, full SC-901 Dolby, 302mm fronts | H&R springs on Koni yellows, IPD sways, IPD strut bar, IPD endlinks, XeMODeX ETM |

First, Trixeo, a Huge Thank You for all of the effort you put into this! I followed the instructions to the letter, and have been very successful in getting VIDA running with Windows 10. Thank you! I was resigned to keeping a laptop running Win7; I am very happy to be able to run Win10. Thank you!

Second, one note... I wanted to let you know that with all of the current Win10 Updates loaded, I found that the update you list in step 21, "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 3" to be not optional, but necessary for it to work. Without the SP3, VIDA Monitor would load, and VIDA would try to start, but the icon would never get past yellow and turn green. I first tried a straightforward VIDA installation with a fresh install of Win7 upgraded to Win10, and when I had the issue I went through the entire procedure, every single step, with the same result. It was not until I did the SQL SP3 update that it would work.

FWIW, I have VIDA 2014A, not D.

Thanks again for all your efforts - it's very much appreciated!

Roger
      Roger

'05 XC90 140k V8 (Wife's) '95 854T 310k (still going!) '02 V70 T5 160k (Resurrected)
      ...and many more long gone...

Quote Originally Posted by TubaFreak View Post
      First, thank you so much for this guide. I followed the SQL 2014 guide to a "T" and was able to install VIDA no problem (on my own I got stuck setting up the stupid SQL database, didn't know what parameters to use). Windows though decided today was the day to install some updates (not the one outlined in this guide surprisingly) and now my installation gets the Java error you've outlined. I went through your steps to get around it by downloading the requisite .jar files, moving them to the proper folder, and modifying the java.security file. However, in my fervor to get the installation running again I made the most rookie mistake of all when modifying files and forgot to back up the original. I think I may have got some syntax wrong as now VIDA sits there "Starting" ad infinitum. So if anyone has the original java.security file so I can try again I'd greatly appreciate it. I'd really rather not reinstall the whole thing as I finally got everything working. If it's on the disk or if anyone has the modified file that would be great too. I tried searching on the disk but couldn't find it. Thanks guys!
      Hi TubaFreak,

Have you applied the optional update in Step 21, to "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 3"? I found I had the same error, of VIDA stuck in the "Starting" phase, without that update. For me it was mandatory, probably due to that recent update. I hope that helps you!

Roger
      Roger

'05 XC90 140k V8 (Wife's) '95 854T 310k (still going!) '02 V70 T5 160k (Resurrected)
      ...and many more long gone...

Thanks for the reply! I followed his SQL 2014 guide as my installation of Windows 10 is 64-bit and I couldn't get the 32-bit one working. As per, I did install the 2008 SP3 on the way to installing 2014, so I don't think that's the issue. Do you have the modified file available? I would love to just overwrite mine with one confirmed working to see if that fixes it. Thanks!
      Nautic/Charcoal 2000 V70 SE MT with 180,000 miles (DD) | 18" anthracite pegs, OE fogs, XC grill, full SC-901 Dolby, 302mm fronts | H&R springs on Koni yellows, IPD sways, IPD strut bar, IPD endlinks, XeMODeX ETM |

Never mind, I got it to work! Used a real text editor to edit the file, saved it, and voila! It seems I am currently back in business. Definitely should have tried that before, but I've had a long day lol. FYI, it should go without saying that Notepad is garbage for editing these types of files most of the time, and this time is no different (Notepad++ on the other hand is great). Thanks again everyone!

Thanks for the tips, volvo300k and TubaFreak, will investigate the optionality of Step 21 (probably for now I'll change it right away), and will add that Notepad isn't a text editor At least not in word wrap-mode.

I also recommend following the optional instructions for those of you who want to migrate to SQL 2014 x64 for better performance and compatibility (https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...=1#post2738305).

EDIT: And also, do the Java update: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...=1#post2760465
      Last edited by trixeo; 07-14-2016 at 11:08 AM.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast