2004 XC70 fuel smell inside and outside
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2004 XC70 fuel smell inside and outside

2004 XC70 with 235,600 miles. No recent work except for timing belt/water pump 6 months ago and an oil change about 2,000 miles ago.

Monday I ran some errands, picked up my daughter from school, and filled up on the way home. I got home around 3:30 PM. Around 9:00 PM I went out to head to work and my garage smelled like gasoline. No gas cans in the garage, fuel shut off on both motorcycles, and my wife's XC90 was also sitting in there. Strong odor of gasoline inside of my car. No puddles or signs of drips under the vehicle. No signs of leaking from a quick glance around the fuel rail on the motor.

Drove to work and left this morning. A little harder to start this morning (maybe 3s longer of cranking) and a smell of gasoline inside and around my car. Same thing, no puddles, no drips, no gas around fuel rail at a quick glance. Fuel cap was screwed on properly.

Left for work again this afternoon and the garage smelled like gasoline again and so did the inside of my car. A little longer to start again, maybe 3s extra cranking. Same deal, no visible leaks. Filled up again (90 miles one way) and went on my way. Got to work, left one work site to go to another and had the longer start time and smell of gasoline again.

Where do I start tracking down this problem? I am not the original owner and I don't know it's complete service history. As long as I've owned it, it hasn't had anything done to the fuel system. I have no discernible loss of power or fuel mileage and the engine seems to run just fine with normal idling and no surging.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

There's a recall. Put your VIN into Volvos recall database. Or call VCOA/the dealer

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...h&summary=true
      Exponents kill
      Elsa: 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap Back from Valhalla @ 357,098 miles

J
      The recall was only valid for 10 years from the date of entering into service. There are threads on epoxying the top of the fuel pump. The top is under the rear seats. I had my fuel pump replaced under the recall several years ago.
      2004 XC70 AWD Since new, now at 115,000 miles
      2009 S80 T6 AWD Since new, now at 105,000 miles
      "Be the change you wish to see in the world"

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

So it's most likely the fuel pump?

A Split on the top of the fuel pump was the issue with one of mine. Clean it up and drop a bunch of epoxy on it.

I have the fuel pump in sight. There is a bunch of fuel on top. It looks like it's coming from the white plastic "tower" that is round and split into 4 parts at the top with a + sign of plastic. I'll try JB weld on it after I clean it up, but I suspect I'll go ahead and replace the pump not too far down the road. NAPA wants $350 for an OEM one. Although the car has 235k miles on it, it's in great shape and has had a lot of maintenance over the last couple years that really extends it's longevity. I'd even drop a replacement motor in it at this point if it went tits up.

I cleaned up the whole area with rubbing alcohol and Q tips and then carb cleaner and Q tips. I mixed up a bunch of JB Weld and filled it all in. We'll see how it does tomorrow on the way to work.

OK - recalled seeing this thread in the last week, so I dug it up. I am smelling fuel also when I walk by or am driving the wife's XC (2002). How difficult is this to get to so I can investigate and see if I have the same issue? Does it have to be lifted to access?
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

Several days later and all is well. Its fixed!

Access is easy. Unhook battery, remove passenger rear seat, lift up the carpet, and open the access panel.

Really?!? Ok - if this continues then that is what I will do! Thanks, Judd's!
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

Here's a writeup on how to change the pump. Obviously you're not changing the pump out if you're just going to epoxy it, but the writeup on how to access it is still useful.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=9&t=67480

I think you have to register to see the pictures.

Thanks for the link. Looks like it is very detailed and thorough. So- after you cleaned it all up, where did you place the JB weld? All over the top, but inside of the retaining ring (minus the electrical connection)? You probably didn't take a picture, did you...? Or was the crack/split evident and you simply did that area?

Fill in the entire white circle with the + in it. That's what a couple threads I found over various sites recommended and that's where the gas was pooled when I took a look at the pump. I couldn't see a leak anywhere or any signs of cracking. I circled the area in red (picture from the other thread). I did not take any pictures of mine all epoxied.

Here's a youtube video of a V70 fuel pump being epoxied.

I had mine fixed via the recall, The dealer should honor it. It makes zero sense for them to recall a problem then after x amount of years just say oh yeah we don't fix that problem anymore. Just my two cents I'd see if the local dealer will honor the recall notice.
      04VR being enjoyed

Update: After weeks and weeks and weeks of dealing with this, among other things, I had the car repaired to resolve a bad alternator and a few other things that needed attention. Then I took it to Scan in Rockville, MD (great shop) to get the fuel pump looked at/repaired, and they confirmed the leaking fuel pump. It was all over the bottom of the tank when they showed me up on the lift. They suggested this was an expensive repair to make right, and that I should take it to a dealer to have rectified under the warranty recall. Hard to believe, but with 100,79x miles on the odometer, and being 14 model years old, the DEALER will fix it for free, including the diagnostic fees. At first, I heard 10 years and 120K were the limits from VNA on the phone. I did not expect to have this positive result, and am amazed. I did call Volvo North America and plead my case first. They set up a case number and called on my behalf after it was there at the dealer. All hail Volvo. Volvo For Life, baby. Volvo...For...Life!

Glad it's finally fixed. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there are any time or mileage restrictions on safety recalls.
      2004 V70 SE 2.4 NA with a 33' turning circle!

Phil and Bruce at Scan said they have never seen Volvo turn this issue away. It's probably still got a shelf life though, right? Still- 14 model years old is impressive! Is this inherent to just p2 wagon or could my s60 have the same potential problem at some point?

Seems that only 01-04 P2s are effected

http://repairpal.com/recall/09V483000
      2004 V70 SE 2.4 NA with a 33' turning circle!

Thanks. Good to know!

Quote Originally Posted by juddspaintballs View Post
      Fill in the entire white circle with the + in it. That's what a couple threads I found over various sites recommended and that's where the gas was pooled when I took a look at the pump. I couldn't see a leak anywhere or any signs of cracking. I circled the area in red (picture from the other thread). I did not take any pictures of mine all epoxied.

absolute new member here, just bought my '03 XC 6 months ago, great car! I'm in the middle of this same issue myself (it just started leaking a few days ago). I have a few questions for you guys:

it appears the gas stain on my fuel tank is on the passenger side, I initially thought it was a seam leak. I dropped the tank low enough to determine the leak is from higher up on the tank than the seam (I haven't dropped it enough to see where exactly it IS leaking yet). In searching this on the web- the pump is on the passenger side of the car, and the sending unit is on the driver side, is this correct? I am seeing some conflicting info out there that there is a access hatch above each on some cars, and only above the driver side on others. Mine has a hatch on the driver side only, matching the pic shown, which (per some things I've read) would be the sending unit, not the pump, and isn't on the side of the car where I'm seeing the gas running down the tank anyhow.....am getting a bit confused because of this. I've also seen some folks out there that cut a hole in the floor to access the passenger side of the tank, something I'm not too excited to do (really don't want to cut up my car at all, as well as the safety factor of cutting metal directly above a leaking gas tank!)

any advice you guys have would be appreciated!

My 2004 has the passenger side access panel. Did you remove the seat back and bracket that holds the seat back in place on the passenger side? You have to do that to access the panel (if yours has it).

As a timely update to this thread, my JB weld fix started leaking about 3 weeks ago. I ordered a new Bosch pump from FCP Euro and installed it in about 30 minutes. I inspected the JB weld fix and found that 1/4 of the 4 parts in that cross shape in the circle on the pump had raised up about 1/8" from the leaking fuel pump pressure and allowed fuel to leak around it. In my opinion, the pump and special tool were cheap enough, it would be best to just change your fuel pump if you find it leaking...or see if Volvo will fix it for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
      absolute new member here, just bought my '03 XC 6 months ago, great car! I'm in the middle of this same issue myself (it just started leaking a few days ago). I have a few questions for you guys:

it appears the gas stain on my fuel tank is on the passenger side, I initially thought it was a seam leak. I dropped the tank low enough to determine the leak is from higher up on the tank than the seam (I haven't dropped it enough to see where exactly it IS leaking yet). In searching this on the web- the pump is on the passenger side of the car, and the sending unit is on the driver side, is this correct? I am seeing some conflicting info out there that there is a access hatch above each on some cars, and only above the driver side on others. Mine has a hatch on the driver side only, matching the pic shown, which (per some things I've read) would be the sending unit, not the pump, and isn't on the side of the car where I'm seeing the gas running down the tank anyhow.....am getting a bit confused because of this. I've also seen some folks out there that cut a hole in the floor to access the passenger side of the tank, something I'm not too excited to do (really don't want to cut up my car at all, as well as the safety factor of cutting metal directly above a leaking gas tank!)

any advice you guys have would be appreciated!
      there are two panels in an XC because the tank is split.

You don't need to cut the body, there are access plates for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by juddspaintballs View Post
      My 2004 has the passenger side access panel. Did you remove the seat back and bracket that holds the seat back in place on the passenger side? You have to do that to access the panel (if yours has it).pumps

As a timely update to this thread, my JB weld fix started leaking about 3 weeks ago. I ordered a new Bosch pump from FCP Euro and installed it in about 30 minutes. I inspected the JB weld fix and found that 1/4 of the 4 parts in that cross shape in the circle on the pump had raised up about 1/8" from the leaking fuel pump pressure and allowed fuel to leak around it. In my opinion, the pump and special tool were cheap enough, it would be best to just change your fuel pump if you find it leaking...or see if Volvo will fix it for free.
      you can make the tool out of a piece of PVC pipe if you have a file, a dremel makes quick work of it.

JB weld is thick, and likely did not get all the way down to the bottom. I'd use 30 minute epoxy. Done properly it should be a permanent fix, as properly adhered epoxy is 100% gasoline resistant.
      It would be a good idea to clean it thoroughly with acetone, then ligtly sand the plastic, then to drop epoxy thinned with alcohol down there to make sure it gets into the crack.

I agree that if Volvo will fix it, that's the best route.
      replacing the pump yourself is the next best thing.
      and epoxy is the cheap way out, but depending on how well you prep it may not be permanent.

If it is a safety recall there should be no expiration. Toyota dealer replaced the fuel tank in 2012 on my 1985 LandCruiser because it had a safety recall. I saw the paper work and it cost more than I paid for the truck...

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
      05 Volvo V70R, 6spd. 200k. Kaplhenke subframe bushings, Snabb turbo intake, Forge CBV
      '94 BMW 325i Sedan, Arctic Gray: 238k, mid restoration.
      '93 BMW 325is Coupe, Black/Black, 276k, work beater.
      '04 Toyota Sienna, Engine swap in progress to a BMW I6, 5spd, RWD. Build thread
      '85 Toyota LandCruiser: Lifted, gas hog. 202k
      '99 Nissan Maxima: 5spd, Rusty but trusty winter beater. 252k RIP

Quote Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
      there are two panels in an XC because the tank is split.

You don't need to cut the body, there are access plates for everything.

I agree that if Volvo will fix it, that's the best route.
      replacing the pump yourself is the next best thing.
      and epoxy is the cheap way out, but depending on how well you prep it may not be permanent.
      Absolutely 100% sure there's no access panel in the floor on the passenger side- the rear seat is out of the car and on the floor.....

honestly, if it IS the recall-relevant crack, I'd just as soon put it all back together and let the dealer handle it, I just want to verify that it is. If it's something else, I'll fix it myself rather than pay the dealership.

if member ZZZZZZZ is still following this- send me a PM as I'm in Md too, and according to the Volvo VIN lookup, my car has no outstanding recalls.....beyond that, in reading the actual recall notice, it only applied to cars sold or registered in certain states, and go figure, Md ain't one of the ones listed, so any info how you resolved this would be appreciated!

Responded to your pm. 14 years old and the dealer took it and made it happen. My pm said it was before a snowstorm I dropped it off. It was actually picking it up. I lost the detail. Ourisman fixed and we didn't pay a dime. I did initially go to Scandinavian in Rockville and reluctantly was ready to pay. They took care of the other issue I had and said no- go to dealer. I called VNA first and opened a case. The lady said because of mileage (we were just above 100k so you may be in a different situation) I was still due and would advocate once I dropped it off for repair at a legit Volvo dealer, so that is what I did. I was prepared to pull the seat and try the epoxy fix too, but this worked out way better. I hope that mileage isn't an issue over something I would classify as safety.

an update:

first, I owe an apology to nsjames- there is an access point on the passenger side, I missed it the first go-round as it's up the rear side and I was tired and unobservant when I pulled the rear seat....I discovered it today as I was getting ready to hack a hole in the floor; another volvo site mistakenly says you can access the pump by just lowering the tank- no ya can't, unless you have a real skinny arm with 3 elbows, and even then, you ain't actually getting the pump out of the tank or even getting a visual on the fittings......so that was 3 hours crawling around on the floor wasted!

second- a big thanks to ZZZZZZZ, I'll be contacting Volvo tomorrow morning about the recall (146k on the car)....

the saga continues

Pics of three elbows or you don't have em. Hope it works out for you with VNA and a dealer!
      Quote Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
      an update:

first, I owe an apology to nsjames- there is an access point on the passenger side, I missed it the first go-round as it's up the rear side and I was tired and unobservant when I pulled the rear seat....I discovered it today as I was getting ready to hack a hole in the floor; another volvo site mistakenly says you can access the pump by just lowering the tank- no ya can't, unless you have a real skinny arm with 3 elbows, and even then, you ain't actually getting the pump out of the tank or even getting a visual on the fittings......so that was 3 hours crawling around on the floor wasted!

second- a big thanks to ZZZZZZZ, I'll be contacting Volvo tomorrow morning about the recall (146k on the car)....

the saga continues

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post
      Pics of three elbows or you don't have em. Hope it works out for you with VNA and a dealer!
      I definitely don't have em.....which is exactly why I'm calling VNA and the dealer!

alright guys- final update:

I talked to Volvo about this, and got a bunch of 'maybe'.....'well, the recall was for southern cars only (gee, I thought anything south of the Mason-Dixon line was 'south', guess not), if you're not in the south, 10 year warranty'; 'take it to the dealer for diagnosis, have them start a ticket, send the ticket to us and [I]maybe[I] we'll comp all of it, maybe we'll comp some of it, and maybe we won't do anything', never mind that the dealer charges 120/hr, and who knows how long this whole 'maybe' process will take......hmmmmm, ok, let me try the whole 'JBweld' fix.....nope, leaking again after 2 days......hmmmm, ok, let me just go ahead and buy a new fuel pump......nope, nobody (Advance Auto or Autozone) stocks a fuel pump

bottom line- Volvo 'reliability' means parts failure and Volvo 'safety' means that failed part is a gasoline leak onto a hot exhaust pipe!

I've now spent MORE on this 148k-mile car in maintenance and repairs in the last 6 months than I've spent in the 10 years I've had my Mustang that has 263k miles on it! As soon as this fuel pump is replaced, this POS is going to Carmax.....and I'll never again buy a Volvo!

I DO appreciate all the help you guys gave in all this, you all did try, shame the same can't be said for Volvo

That's a damn shame. Sorry about your experience. I also spent a ton of money on our XC but it's so great it was worth it. Hope you find your ultimate ride. Happy motoring.

You should never be going to NAPA/Advance/Autozone for a Volvo. Stick with online dealers, FCP, EEuro, and (assuming you don't fall for the 'HD' nonsense) IPD. The OEM Volvo branded pump is like 400... Bosch is like 300 IIRC.

There's also a spreadsheet of OEM and OES suppliers for anything your car could really need:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...54U/edit#gid=0
      Exponents kill
      Elsa: 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap Back from Valhalla @ 357,098 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Hounddogger View Post
      You should never be going to NAPA/Advance/Autozone for a Volvo. Stick with online dealers, FCP, EEuro, and (assuming you don't fall for the 'HD' nonsense) IPD. The OEM Volvo branded pump is like 400... Bosch is like 300 IIRC.

There's also a spreadsheet of OEM and OES suppliers for anything your car could really need:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...54U/edit#gid=0
      typically, I buy OE parts (or better when available) for all my machines, but this thing has already been sitting for 2.5 weeks and it would have been nice to be able to have it fixed so I can actually, you know, drive it......altho at this point, I'm going with the cheapest, not gonna leak gas on the exhaust pipe part I can find- after all, it only has to last from my driveway to the nearest Carmax (about 25 miles), which, coincidentally enough, is about 2/10ths of a mile down the street from the aforementioned 120/hr Volvo dealership.

on edit: I paid more for this car based on Volvo's reputation for reliability, and was ok with it, but realistically, doing the math:

car cost more going in
      +
      parts and service more expensive
      +
      parts and service more often
      +
      parts not readily available
      =
      get rid of it
      Last edited by Oddball; 09-25-2016 at 02:55 PM. Reason: adding a thought

My advice- stick with it. You're not going to find a more comfortable and safe car that is this good. Yes- addressing some things is expensive but there is a wealth of knowledge here and you'll be at a loss unless you hang. It may seem dismal now, but wait until snow or until you get hit (hopefully never). These are pretty smooth and luxurious tanks. Someone just didn't do all the maintenance on time and the fuel pump was a known issue which you didn't know about. These are great cars and I'd hate to lose you as an enthusiast. Go see Orville (L&B) for anything you can't do yourself. You won't be sorry but wear old shoes and have a mat protector or all weather mats. His shop is dirty but he is a good guy and a great resource. I'll bet a dollar that six months from now you'll be glad you stuck.

First time poster on this forum (though I've learned a lot from it over the years), and I just wanted to offer a note of thanks for guidance. I smelled fuel leaking from my car last week, diagnosed it as the flange largely with this thread, which also informed me of the warranty program. Since I have a 2004 xc70 with 176k miles on it (and I'm not the original owner), I didn't think I had any chance of qualifying for warranted coverage. But since I've had a number of repairs recently and didn't want to spend more money on it, I thought it was worth trying with Volvo North America first.

Well, I called them, they told me to take it to a dealer for diagnosis, and I took it without even diagnosing it myself. The flange seemed so common that I didn't think it was worth my time to take the seats out, etc. The dealer confirmed that it was the flange, I gave them the case number I already had generated with VNA, they talked to each other, and VNA PAID FOR THE WHOLE THING. Even the dealer was surprised. I wouldn't have thought to try without the advice here. I thought my case also would offer encouragement to others to try, even if you're well outside the warranty range. Oh, I also live in New England (not the South, where the recall was).

I think the key was calling first and making my case. I didn't even say that much. All I said was that I'm a loyal Volvo driver, I stated what I thought the problem was, that I was worried about it as a safety issue, and they said that they'd like "to try to cover it 100% if possible." I wasn't sure what that meant (seemed like it wouldn't amount to anything), but they came through. I'm still a little in shock.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast