SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Empty?

5K views 24 replies 21 participants last post by  Wayne T5 
#1 ·
[/URL][/IMG]

I filled up with 16.6 gallons for T6 running on 93 octane. No coasting was necessary in the making of this photo.

What is the most miles after empty and most gallons filled?

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow. Not been there. Fumes?

That sight will make your butt pucker on one of our long OK turnpikes.

Zipped on the motorcycle about 20 miles beyond dead "E" and "0 miles to empty" on the ODO. Must be an industry "dummy proof" measure. It was for me, apparently!

#5 ·
I never had the nerve to go that long without filling up.....no answer here.

#6 ·
Most cars seem to have a reserve beyond what the computer says, I've driven most of mine beyond that. Some will even take more fuel than the officially listed amount.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Most cars seem to have a reserve beyond what the computer says, I've driven most of mine beyond that. Some will even take more fuel than the officially listed amount.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
They do...there is at least 1.5 gallons once it flatlines.

#9 ·
There's always a little more. until there really isn't hahaha. But I've pushed it to E and never hit the bottom on my XC.

#11 ·
I've gotten about 16.2 gallons in mine, but never read below about 40 miles to empty. These cars have a 17.8 gallon tank I think.

#12 ·
Once went 12 miles past the flatline. When I filled up, I put in 17.54 gallons. I was sweating bullets, as I was going uphill for a couple of those miles!

#13 ·
Don't know about your car, but considering most of my drive is highway cruising I usually leave the "empty" light on for a couple days before I throw in the towel and fill up. Yeah. I live on the edge. My '01 V70 has a fuel tank that is supposedly 21 gallons. I average about 22-26 mpg (VERY good for me, I have a very very heavy foot) and get about 400-450 miles out of a tank. Not that this helped, but Young Satchel posted too... so, like, why not me too.

#15 ·
Better then the late 80's mid size GMC pickup I had with the same type 8/10 bar fuel gauge that had THREE BARS LIT AND RAN OUT OF GAS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, TWICE. Never happened again.

General
Mess of
Crap!

#16 ·
When I was looking for my S60, one of the ones I test drove from my dealer only had 1 "bar" left in the gauge and the trip computer just showed dashes for distance to empty too. The sales guy said it should be enough for a test drive, and true enough it was, even with a little bit of hard acceleration in a few places.

Later when I did get my own S60 I think I've actually managed to get it down to 0 "bars" in the gauge. I was trying to get to a nearby gas station and was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic that I did not expect. Then I made a wrong turn and had to make a loop around to try and get back. All this stop and go brought the gauge down to completely empty. The last traffic light to make it into the station felt like one of the longest red lights I've ever had to wait at.

#17 ·
On the topic of waiting until empty, my wife's car, a Ford Flex, has a saddle shaped gas tank and on occasion has trouble equalizing the two sides so if you push the limit, what may actually be a quarter of a tank is all stuck on the side of the tank not feeding the engine and you'll stall.

As for my S60, the closest I pushed it was 25 miles to empty.

#20 ·
Some of the early 2000 AWD S40s have the same, crap shoot on whether gas would be on the side of the pick-up.

Tried to never let it run too low. 1/4 is very low in my world. Back in the day of dirty gas, seems the cars would have issues with the floating debris when the fuel got that low. Believe they've pretty much engineered that worry out of the newer autos and def cleaner gas these days.

Everything changes with the age of the car, one would have to think. Over time, bound to pick up a little stuff here and there.

#21 ·
Put 17.7 gallons in my wife's XC60 the other day - that's in a 18.5 gallon tank, I think most Volvo's have this tank size - must be equivalent to some metric measurement like 100 liters or something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.