SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Alignment Eating Tires

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  TexaS60r 
#1 ·
So I've endured both the S60R and S60RD eat my y-rated tires in never more than 15k miles. Each set has thread remaining but the shoulders wear down to the threads on the interior. I drive very hard on very curvy heavy-aggregate asphalt roads but this has always seemed excessive. Any insight on my last attempt to improve wear life?

[/URL][/IMG]

See less See more
#3 ·
You need to find an alignment. Shop that is going to put all 4 where they need to be exactly..these a.h. say oh its in the green its ok ..b.s. Also need to check your a frame bushings.like quickly at a Volvo dealer.I ate up a set in 1500 miles and 300$ in different shops..these folks are crooked and don't care but to get your $$$$$$$$$.

#7 ·
Best alignment I ever got on the '05 was from a back-woods garage owned and operated by a dirt track racer. That thing was on rails after his alignment.

When Volvo shop did a cursory check during a warranty visit, they returned a sheet that said they were way out. Aligned it again and it felt like it we were driving on ice, and jittery.
Shop specs are designed for max tire wear so don't think it's them, may just be a suspension issue.

BTW, did a cool 10 hours on the wonderful, smooth, un-snow-plow-graded TX roads last weekend. Awesome straight stretches that caused a malfunction in the accelerator!You guys even have signs that warn of the brand new and very porous road surfaces so I could see chewing up a set in 15K if pushed. That stuff is a cheese grater.

#8 ·
And these are shredded...

Front driver side on Pilot Super Sports

[/URL][/IMG]

Front Passenger side on Pilot Super Sports

[/URL][/IMG]

Rears don't look so bad though,

Rear driver side

[/URL][/IMG]

Rear passenger side

[/URL][/IMG]

#10 ·
14k miles on these. Just returned from Costco where I ordered a set of AS3s. Might as well get some all-season shoes for the winter. The above changes for toe on the fronts certainly did not get me more life but it has lessened the traction just slightly; figure I'll revert the above.

#11 ·
Toe and/or steering end links issue. Did the same thing (worn to the cord on the inner edge) on the rear of my last set of DWSs. Replaced the bushings (camber adjusted close to zero) had an alignment that fixed the toe, and am now 50,000 km on a set of AS3s with nice, even wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Funny thing was the OEM Conti's that were H-rated :)thumbdown:) lost tread depth at same type mileage well before shoulders ever began to wear to cords. :screwy:

I've never seen more than 15k miles on either the S60R or S60 RD. I have not upgraded sway bars or end links so that is in the plans this fall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.