Replacing PCV next week. Can I drill a hole in upper PCV hose to vent the system in meantime?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Replacing PCV next week. Can I drill a hole in upper PCV hose to vent the system in meantime?

04 S60R. I've ordered the PCV parts from eEuroparts and they're slated to come in next Wednesday. However, tomorrow, I have to make a roadtrip 400 miles roundtrip. As is, there are no symptoms outside of positive pressure, and a bit of smoke coming from the dipstick. However, I'm trying to think of ways to reduce my risk. Since I'll be replacing the hose, anyways, would it be OK to drill a hole in the rubber/plastic upper PCV breather hose? The one that connects to the top of the valve cover? Figured if I get it at the right angle, it'll be good enough to vent any pressure without throwing oil around. Thoughts? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That flow is full of oil mist, so it would get messy if you just openly vent it. If you can make a catchcan there is nothing wrong with just blocking off the hose that goes to the separator and running the valve cover outlet right to the catchcan. Doesn't even have to be fancy, just run the hose over into a two liter bottle between the airbox and fender if its just going to be a temporary fix.

Quote Originally Posted by StealthyS60R View Post
      That flow is full of oil mist, so it would get messy if you just openly vent it. If you can make a catchcan there is nothing wrong with just blocking off the hose that goes to the separator and running the valve cover outlet right to the catchcan. Doesn't even have to be fancy, just run the hose over into a two liter bottle between the airbox and fender if its just going to be a temporary fix.
      Good to know, thanks. I'll have to check the integrity of the hose to see if I'm able to re-route it into a makeshift catch can. If I'm unable to re-route the main hose, you think drilling a hole in that PCV breather hose and then plugging that with another hose that runs to a catchcan would work fine?

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

So when the OEM needs service, does the separator just fill up?
      Is it an empty box or have some type of foam inside. Is there no outlet to drain this system?
      Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy ****, what a ride!"

Presently taking a ride thru the Black Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by Our R View Post
      So when the OEM needs service, does the separator just fill up?
      Is it an empty box or have some type of foam inside. Is there no outlet to drain this system?
      From the research I've done, it doesn't fill up, rather it drains from the bottom of the box and recycled back into the crankcase. However, a common issue is that the oil separator gunks up with carbon deposits. I gave it to a mechanic for a weekend and he went in and did gas and compression tests, and then went in and diagnosed it as a faulty oil separator. So either mine is gunked up, or it's faulty, somehow. I know the older models had a valve that would break, but I'm not certain if the newer version has a valve or not. Either way, I'll be replacing all the hosing and the oil separator. I'll also take the long coolant/oil hose running to the turbo from the separator and clean it with some mineral spirits and carb cleaner. With luck, this will fix the issue and keep my seals intact. I'm actually pretty excited to get in there and get to know my engine bay a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by aRizona View Post
      From the research I've done, it doesn't fill up, rather it drains from the bottom of the box and recycled back into the crankcase. However, a common issue is that the oil separator gunks up with carbon deposits. I gave it to a mechanic for a weekend and he went in and did gas and compression tests, and then went in and diagnosed it as a faulty oil separator. So either mine is gunked up, or it's faulty, somehow. I know the older models had a valve that would break, but I'm not certain if the newer version has a valve or not. Either way, I'll be replacing all the hosing and the oil separator. I'll also take the long coolant/oil hose running to the turbo from the separator and clean it with some mineral spirits and carb cleaner. With luck, this will fix the issue and keep my seals intact. I'm actually pretty excited to get in there and get to know my engine bay a bit better.
      I typically use a dental pick set to scrape the crap out of the lower block drain channel. Just make sure you pull the sludge out and not push it in. I usually follow up with a shop vac around the area too. Clean the orifice of the PTC element on the turbo inlet hose also. I think the sludge on the drain channel is more due to heat and constant oil drainage rather than sludge backing up in the oil trap itself. Seems like in the past when I've done them the oil traps aren't that blocked but a lot of the hoses and block channels are.
      01' S60 T5 - ARD Blue 18psi, billet 18T, 3in back w/magnaflow suitecase, ported head, snabb pipes, custom fmic, simota cda, eibach/bilstein f/r ipd sway, too much to list...
      00' V40 - DO88 everything, vogtland/koni f/r, ARD solenoid, k&n panel, forge dump, 420cc injectors, MBC 15psi, VVT tricks, stock tune. gO kArt

Quote Originally Posted by aRizona View Post
      I'm actually pretty excited to get in there and get to know my engine bay a bit better.
      That's always a good thing.
      2004 V70 T5M: Platinum Green Bob Villa mod | boost gauge | poly mounts | Snabb intake | IPD sways | Koni yellow struts | KYB monotube shocks http://imgur.com/a/0MRgX
      2005 Mazda6 Sportwagon in progress...
      2012 Ford Flex Limited

2001 Subaru Outback H6 L.L.Bean/2000 Honda Odyssey EX recently passed (together!)

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements