SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Fyi michelin tire warrantee

4K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  JAM2 
#1 ·
I picked upp four new Michelin at americas Tire under warantee at a cost of $782,07 including mounting and balancing. The cost without warrantee would have been $1080.00. I did not have to show proof of rotation, mileage was 16303 and the amount of tread left was measured at 3 or less at each location.

#2 ·
Really?!? That's awesome. I use America's Tire anyway. I thought they would only honor a warranty claim when you had purchased the tires, not on your original set. I'm at 5/32(checked at America's Tire two weeks ago), so will be up for a change soon enough.

#3 ·
Dang. Thank you Daniel. I buy all my stuff at America's Tire so I'm pleased to know I will be taken care of. I've purchased many thousands of dollars worth of tires there and they always treat me well. They are a first rate operation. I actually entertained stealing their manager at one point!

#4 ·
Tire question

Hi guys,

newbie here. Were there defects on the tires? Was that the original warranty that was honored? I just bought number 12 recently and will probably need a tire change soon. So any tips on reducing that bill would be greatly appreciated.

Let me know.

Ludovic

#5 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

newbie here. Were there defects on the tires? Was that the original warranty that was honored? I just bought number 12 recently and will probably need a tire change soon. So any tips on reducing that bill would be greatly appreciated.

Let me know.

Ludovic
It's a treadwear warranty. These tires have a 30k mile treadwear warranty, so certain shops will give you a pro-rated discount based on the mileage you are at. I just checked with my manual and the Michelin packet was there with the treadwear warranty, so I am going to ask for it as well. I never got it before on my first set of tires because I was always upgrading to PSS. First car with PSS stock.

#6 ·
So just for me to understand, do I need to wait until the tires are down to 2/32nd? Mine are at around 3/32 currently. Also you mentioned you used America's tire. Is that essentially the best place in the bay area? Are you guys using a specific one?Let me know.

Cheers

L

#7 ·
I think it is going to be shop dependent. Some will be sticklers about it others will be lenient. I was thinking about heading back into America's Tire in the next few days to see what they have to say. Everyone seems to have their own preferences of shops. I just have an AT that was close to where I lived when I had my Subaru so went there and continued going to the same shop since. Basically all of the big chain places tend to be more lenient as the can easily eat the cost of warranty work but you still need to go to a place you are going to trust with these wheels. 3/32 is way low and I would be looking at replacing them especially with the rain we are about to be getting tonight into tomorrow.

#8 ·
Here is how it went for me. I have been buying tires from this dealer for 10 years so they know me, which may be an advantage. First the shop should measure each tire in three places across the tread. On my tires all but two readings were at 3 or less and the other were at 4. Then the dealer will call Michelin and they will say yes or no. If they say yes Michelin will add the 12 readings and divide that total by 12 to determine the total percentage left and that says how much your refund will be. I would say if the dealer won't call Michelin turn around walk out and find a dealer that will.

#9 · (Edited)
At AT right now. Realized my front left was down to the wear bar on the inside. They are calling the claim office right now.

Update: So my front left tire is complete toast...

This is how things played out with the warranty. Pretty much the same as Daniel. Took measurements and called Michelin. No talk about rotations. My front left measured out at 4/3/3(that damage is on the sidewall), FR 4/3/4, RL 5/4/5, RR 5/5/6. I was given credits as follows FL:60% FR:40% Rears:25%. AT said they were surprised I got any credit for the rears as Mfgs generally tell customers to keep driving anything with more than 4/32. Total with mounting and balancing will be $832. I am probably going to pay the extra $40/tire for the warranty which replaces the tire with a new one if it is damaged(nail, curb, etc) and is unrepairable. The fix all repairable tires for free anyway. At $270/tire, the replacement warranty makes sense. One thing is that the P* was not in their system. New tires should be here in a couple of days.

If anyone local wants the shop I used it is this one, http://stores.americastire.com/ca/redwood-city/can-11/

#12 ·
At AT right now. Realized my front left was down to the wear bar on the inside. They are calling the claim office right now.

Update: So my front left tire is complete toast...

This is how things played out with the warranty. Pretty much the same as Daniel. Took measurements and called Michelin. No talk about rotations. My front left measured out at 4/3/3/3(that damage is on the sidewall), FR 4/3/4/4, RL 5/4/5/5, RR 5/5/5/6. I was given credits as follows FL:60% FR:40% Rears:25%. AT said they were surprised I got any credit for the rears as Mfgs generally tell customers to keep driving anything with more than 4/32. Total with mounting and balancing will be $832. I am probably going to pay the extra $40/tire for the warranty which replaces the tire with a new one if it is damaged(nail, curb, etc) and is unrepairable. The fix all repairable tires for free anyway. At $270/tire, the replacement warranty makes sense. One thing is that the P* was not in their system. New tires should be here in a couple of days.

If anyone local wants the shop I used it is this one, http://stores.americastire.com/ca/redwood-city/can-11/
You might want to have the alignment checked. You shouldn't be getting that kind of wear on the inside shoulder. The toe could be off.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Wow, that last spirited drive must have done them in! Good thing you are getting new tires for the rainy season, now that we are having one. ;)

#11 ·
Yeah, I'm just glad I caught it before heading up Mt Hamilton tomorrow like I was planning. Apparently that road has sent quite a few motorcyles tumbling off of it as well as a car or two.

#21 · (Edited)
I had my alignment checked when I got my new set of PSS installed a few weeks ago. I don't have the sheet in front of me, but I think it was -.9/-1.1 degrees of camber on the front L/R. The rear was around -1.5-1.7 I think. Toe was close to 0 in the front, maybe .02-.03 on each side. The toe in the rear was more, maybe .12-.14. Front caster was around 2.5, which is really low compared to what you get on most performance cars. Generally speaking, you want around 7 degrees of caster.

#24 ·
DO NOT go to the Redwood City America's Tire! They just chipped my wheel and then tried to make believe they didn't do it. They are going to pay for the damage in the end, but won't work on my car anymore. I specifically gave them a heads up about the wheels beforehand and they found it strange that I immediately checked them when they gave me the car back. So annoying as the powdercoat shop will be closed for the holidays half of next week so I will have to wait until next year to get it fixed.

#26 ·
I have no idea how they accomplished it because it's not a spot the machine would touch...

Despite the chip being so small, the only way to fix it is to strip the entire wheel and redo the powdercoat.

#27 ·
And they claimed they didn't do that?? How could they say that with a straight face?

Wow, they better pay up for the damage!

Sorry to hear and see the bad news.

#29 ·
While not completely thread jacking from OP, this will continue bit of a left turn from Michellin warranty discussion...

FINALLY, someone drives one of these hard! Thank you P50GT!!! I have been lamenting Volvo tire appetite for years with zero real solutions. In fact, I've delayed purchasing a S/V60P because I'm tired of the problem and I'm considering M3, S4, or ATS-V as next purchase solely for this issue. I've been quite surprise no P* owners have experienced this shoulder wear thus far. Honestly, I've been hoping the alignment WAS different for these cars and the upgraded suspension had overcome the beastly front end nose diving effect in corners that chew the shoulders.

Here are my previous cries for help on my R and my RD with the tire eating Volvos.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?152446-Excessive-Tire-Edge-Wear

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?246441-Alignment-Eating-Tires

#31 · (Edited)
I currently have 9557 miles on th PSS. At 8,000 miles, during my 1st year service interval, the tires were measured to have 4/32 tread. Now they are shot. Do I have the dealer replace the tires? Do I go to a tire store, like town fair tire? What do you all recommend, and how do they process the warranty?

Also, these measurements were taken before any track time with the Polestar, and documented by the dealer.

#32 ·
As far as I know, the dealers will not honor treadwear warranties, but you can ask. I would go to a large chain store that you trust will not damage your wheels. The process has been explained above. The basically take measurements, then call Michelin who gives them the determination of what the discount will be for each tire. Track time doesn't matter.

#33 ·
Thanks! The front tires were at 4/32 and 3/32, while the rears are at 6/32. Total mileage on the tires are 7,860. Michelin came through. 2 new tires are costing $240 inclusive of tax and mounting / balancing. Once I wear out the rears in about 2,000 miles, they will get replaced too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.