Ticking, clicking and cringing. AWD drivshaft problems. Freewheel? Viscous?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Ticking, clicking and cringing. AWD drivshaft problems. Freewheel? Viscous?

So this is my 2000 V70R that I rebuilt the engine and having been fixing up for my brother.

The car runs great, but a ticking or clicking noise is now coming and going. At first I thought it was a CV. Nope. Then I found a rusted loose brake dust shield (I still haven't figured out what they do). Nope. I thought that maybe when I bolted up the front CV of the driveshaft I failed to lock-tite and it's all loosed. Nope, nice and tight. Walking alongside the car (brother driving rather than ghost riding) I can hear that it's not from up front as I thought. I don't think that it's from the very back (diff area) but closer to the foot area of the second-row seats. I thought I read a long time ago that a failing freewheel unit can cause clicking. That sounds expensive. Reading about it makes me think that I could be a failed CV joint. I don't think that it's the front, so it leaves the back one which is less likely to fail. The car has 167k on it, but this driveshaft looks like it was remanufactured. It looks like it's from Colorado driveshaft. I doubt a rear CV has failed after it was replaced, but I'm not ruling it out. When I get a moment I'll jack it way up and have a look at it. I'll post my findings.

Anything else I should check or ideas of what it may be?
      1989 740 Turbo Plus, M46, red leather, and a few mods
      2004 S60R The Phoenix
      2000 V70R Sobek - Sold to my brother
      1976 245 Cthulhu - new project
      1995 940 Thor - something diesel awaits

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Does the ebrake work? Could be angle gear or center driveshaft bearing.
      Exponents kill
      Elsa: 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap Back from Valhalla @ 357,098 miles

So, I crawled up with the car running. I cannot stress how dangerous that is when you aren't using a lift. Jack stands are a must, but still offer little protection since all wheel are driving. We used a few contingency devices like cinder blocks backups.

So what I saw: The front driveshaft section is the part that is making the noise. I'm thinking the front CV or center bearing. The angle gear is leaking, but I could not find any sloppiness.

So the plan is order stuff tonight before the sales end so I can repack the front CV (no grease leakage), reseal the angle gear, inspect the center bearing and replace if necessary. Since the angle gear is still leaking, it should not be dry, so hopefully it has not gone south.

We put on the parking brake a little to load up the driveshaft and the noise actually seemed to decrease. Anyway, it sounds like you pretty much nailed it.
      2004 S60R The Phoenix

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Also, does anyone happen to know the seal size for the output (pinion) of the angle gear for a 2000 V70R?

I checked all through this thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...Parts-Listings, but that detail is not included. It's still a great reference. VIDA showed me the seal size for the axle shaft. If no one knows, I'll measure it when I get it out.
      2004 S60R The Phoenix

Glad you're working out this problem, but be advised
      that if that car falls off the jack stands, cinder blocks
      aren't even gonna slow it down. Use blocks of wood
      at the vey least. Cinder blocks will just disintegrate...
      '98 V70 R - Is the AWD worth it? You Betcha!

We piled blocks of wood up to the sub frame so it couldn't gain any momentum. It's not up in the air anymore until I find time and another set of jack stands to put it up. I may burrow a friend's heated garage just to make things even nicer.
      2004 S60R The Phoenix

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements