S90 Performance Data
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

S90 Performance Data

http://www.automotorsport.se/artikla...konkurrenterna

Volvo has shown the performance data of S90 and compared it to main competitors.
      Two conclusions
      1) there is no replacement for displacement.
      2) the film presenting the Power Pulse technology seems to be unreal, if to look at data.
      3) It is not the best idea to offer D5 only in FWD version.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The D5 will be with automatic gearbox and AWD, while the D4 will be FWD and manual gearbox.
      2014 Volvo V70 T4 Summum - 2015 BMW X4 30dA (eq. 35d in US) xDrive M-Sport - 2015 BMW 116i M-Sport

I disagree on all points but I await independent tests to be certain. I note the lack of any T8 competitor.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Global Moderator
      Quote Originally Posted by JOHN T SHEA View Post
      I disagree on all points but I await independent tests to be certain. I note the lack of any T8 competitor.
      The next gen E Class and 5 series will both have plug in hybrid capabilities pairing a 2liter 4 cylinder with electric power. Probably not with the split setup that Volvo uses, since both of those are RWD based.

Only the D5 somewhat lags compared to rivals, I suppose its due to the huge weight penalty that the S90 carries with it

Quote Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
      The next gen E Class and 5 series will both have plug in hybrid capabilities pairing a 2liter 4 cylinder with electric power. Probably not with the split setup that Volvo uses, since both of those are RWD based.
      Very likely indeed, given non-plugin 5-Series and E-Class hybrids have been sold for years. And you are correct about the layout. The I8 is the only BMW with a Through-The-Road (TTR) hybrid layout very like the T8, though turned 180 degrees. I doubt station wagon versions of either German sedan will be possible though, given the big battery on top of the rear axle. The PHEV versions of the GLE and X5 both have packaging problems, despite their height.

Love it! Same obsession before buying the XC60, all happening again!
      with right price, a winner.
      Any details about dimensions please, and would Australia get it from China factory?... estimate price comparison
      Last edited by ayman; 12-04-2015 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by volvocu View Post
      Only the D5 somewhat lags compared to rivals, I suppose its due to the huge weight penalty that the S90 carries with it
      Yeah, S90 is one heavy sedan... 350hp isn't a lot for a 1800-2000kg car. That's a mind boggling size.
      Exponents kill
      Elsa: 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap Gone to Valhalla @ 357,098 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Hounddogger View Post
      Yeah, S90 is one heavy sedan... 350hp isn't a lot for a 1800-2000kg car. That's a mind boggling size.
      So, do you think that your V70R is...weak?
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

I've driven the XC90 D5 AWD a few times, never felt it lacking in anyway. I must say I was quite surprised how powerful it was, it doesn't feel like a 2.0, probably because of the broad power range.

My comment was comparatively speaking, looking at the performance data chart above. In any case everything is relative, what may seem adequate to you and me may not be at all for others. Besides, Volvo is taking on the best with the S90, you dont want "adequate", you want the flagship to be authoritative in its power delivery. The T8 is a great example; a powerful diesel must follow IMHO.

The main problem of the S90 is its huge weight penalty, a current 520D is more than 100kg lighter, and the next gen 5 series is to be launched in 2016, like the S90, it will use carbonfiber, so the weight difference will probably be at least 200kg! Weight saving is crucial nowadays, its too bad that volvo missed the boat here. I do not foresee the S90 winning any comparison test against its rivals with such mass, which will affect every aspect of its dynamic abilities; hopefully it will at least translate into upsides like best-in-class NVH, which I also doubt...
      Last edited by volvocu; 12-05-2015 at 04:11 AM.

My comment was comparatively speaking, looking at the performance data chart above. In any case everything is relative, what may seem adequate to you and me may not be at all for others. Besides, Volvo is taking on the best with the S90, you dont want "adequate", you want the flagship to be authoritative in its power delivery. The T8 is a great example; a powerful diesel must follow IMHO.

The main problem of the S90 is its huge weight penalty, a current 520D is more than 100kg lighter, and the next gen 5 series is to be launched in 2016, like the S90, it will use carbonfiber, so the weight difference will probably be at least 200kg! Weight saving is crucial nowadays, its too bad that volvo missed the boat here. I do not foresee the S90 winning any comparison test against its rivals with such mass, which will affect every aspect of its dynamic abilities; hopefully it will at least translate into upsides like best-in-class NVH, which I also doubt...
      But how does carbon fiber crash?
      Dave in VA

2012 XC70 T6, AWD (new T6 motor installed 8/27/2015)
      2016 Cadillac ATS-V

Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      So, do you think that your V70R is...weak?
      The VR doesn't make that much power and it's pretty heavy... The gearbox makes it feel fast because you're in boost really quick. It's 300hp does do the job and it's only 1700kg and AWD. The diesel is making 220 and weighs 100kg more in the lightest configuration. The VR is also a wagon... And it weights 100kg more than an S60... The V90 is going to be slow is the S90 is pushing 2000kg.
      Exponents kill
      Elsa: 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap Gone to Valhalla @ 357,098 miles

any idea about the dimensions and kerb weight for the S90?

published already. there is a pdf on a UK site posted in this forum but I need to search again.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

How is that possible that new S90 D4 fwd weight 1800 kg. For example current S80 D4 (same enigine as in S90) weight 1700 kg. Isn't Volvo said that new SPA platform safe about 100 kg?

I am wondering how much will S90 awd D5 weight +2000 kg, that is almost in XC90 category.

Quote Originally Posted by JG2 View Post
      How is that possible that new S90 D4 fwd weight 1800 kg. For example current S80 D4 (same enigine as in S90) weight 1700 kg. Isn't Volvo said that new SPA platform safe about 100 kg?

I am wondering how much will S90 awd D5 weight +2000 kg, that is almost in XC90 category.
      Probably 100 kg of wire alone for all the technology

The VR doesn't make that much power and it's pretty heavy... The gearbox makes it feel fast because you're in boost really quick. It's 300hp does do the job and it's only 1700kg and AWD. The diesel is making 220 and weighs 100kg more in the lightest configuration. The VR is also a wagon... And it weights 100kg more than an S60... The V90 is going to be slow is the S90 is pushing 2000kg.
      The V70R weighs 3,800 and almost 3,900 with the automatic (which was a not so ideal match with that engine). It performed well. The S90 and V90 will be similar in weight but with way more advanced engines and a much better automatic transmission, not to mention with an AWD system that will provide better traction.
      These cars will not be slow.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

Don't expect the next 5-Series, or any other competitor to be significantly lighter than the S90 in the real world. German car companies (and Jaguar/Land Rover) are notorious for quoting DIN or EU weights which are ALWAYS 5% to 10% lighter than reality.

Compared to the XC90 the S90 is about 0.5 inches longer, 2 inches narrower, 2 inches shorter in wheelbase, about 10 inches lower and 10% lighter. The S90 T8 is 2.15 tons, as against the XC90 T8's 2.35 tons, and is claimed to reach 62 mph in 5.2 seconds rather than 5.6 seconds, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by DCPattie View Post
      But how does carbon fiber crash?
      CF has saved many an F1 drivers from serious injuries and death

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/20...ed-102532.html

The new S90 has a length of 4,963 millimeters (195.4 in), a width of 1,890 mm (74.4 in) and a height of 1,443 mm (56.8 in). Its wheelbase is 2,941 mm long, and its luggage compartment offers a capacity of 500 liters. The weight of the new S90 is quoted somewhere between 1,800 and 2,150 kilograms, but these figures might not be final.

Quote Originally Posted by XC60 RD View Post
      CF has saved many an F1 drivers from serious injuries and death
      Indeed! And CF is where Volvo have said they're headed in the future, skipping aluminium.

Errr, what? I learned to drive on a 1999 V70 XC AWD and that was a car with under 200HP with about 1800KG of weight (and AWD drivetrain losses) AND a 4-speed auto and I never thought that was weak. Now I drive a car with similar power to my mom's old V70 only one that weighs 1100KG (5-speed manual) and I still don't think the V70 XC was weak. I'd have a very hard time seeing a 350HP car with a new 8-speed auto and 1800-2000KG as week....
      NEW! 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Manual
      2007 S40 T5 White
      Previous: 1989 740 Turbo, 1995 960, 1999 V70 XC AWD

26. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements