Blower motor rebuild. (sledge hammer mechanical style)
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Blower motor rebuild. (sledge hammer mechanical style)

Went to the hardware store and bought some brushes for a drill or something. Then filed and cut them down to fit. Be careful because the plastic breaks real easy!
      Then hot melt glue and of course solder them in.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Couple more shots. It works ! You can see it wasn't going to work very long the way it was, it was starting to slow down.

Hot melt glue - is it the high temp version? After extended operation it might get hot enough there for the glue to soften if you haven't used the high temp version of the glue. Its a nice fix if it stays fixed.

I hope that is not an original Fender Tweed that you are using as a workbench. The tweed looks to shiny to be an original.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Good point on the hot melt. To tell you the truth I never even thought about that. The originals weren't glued in but one of the holders was worn down and the other cracked.
      So I grabbed the hot melt. Probably just the cheapest sticks they make. Well we'll see what happens.
      Almost used JB Weld but I was afraid if they wore down that would eat the armature.

If you look at the last picture you'll see what the amp is. I built the cab. It just makes a better back drop than the bench.

Did a quick Google search. Looks like the low temp is somewhere over 200 degrees one said 110C.
      So the heater core is maybe 190 F if the thermostat doesn't stick. The fans blowing cold air so that helps. But brushes create some friction. How much I don't know.

The one good thing is the colder glue doesn't get brittle when cold like a sub zero morning. So that's a plus if it doesn't melt !

Maybe the answer if the holders are in good shape a little RTV if needed.

This isn't something I'd try on a car that takes half a day to pull the fan on. But a 122 is a couple minutes with a Leatherman. And it heats well with no fan on the highway.

If hot glue doesn't hold, try polyurethane sealant/caulk versus RTV. Score the brushes lightly to improve the "caulk grab".

RTV is an amazing sealant but has limitations especially in arena of grab where shear forces exist.

Urethane grabs and holds much better than RTV in many situations. It doesn't harden, is heat resistant and seals great I'm referring to window/door polyurethane caulk and the roof stuff (in black); all the same. But it doesn't flow and smooth as easily as RTV.

Just a recommendation.

Thanks. Hopefully the hot melt will work hold but temp wise it's close.
      If I hadn't broken the one holder it would matter much. Those things are really really brittle !

Plan to pull some parts off my parts car in the next few days including the whole heating system so I can rebuild it for this car.
      It might have a better motor but I'd be happy if just the fans in better shape than mine.

Made a 45 mile drive yesterday to a get together. Fan on high both ways worked great.
      I do need to address the interior. A former owner in typical 'I'm going to cherry this out" fashion stripped the carpet, headliner and any insulation that might have been there.
      So between that and the dried up leaky weatherstripping it wasn't exactly a hot drive home at around zero degrees.
      But it wasn't that bad either.

Bobby - you're still driving it? Garage, man! I know it's been mild so far but... garage!

Think of the salt!!!!
      Mike

Yeah I know all about the salt. Car needs a paint job anyway.

Couldn't help myself yesterday the family get together involves sledding down a hill at my sisters place. I just scored an old (vintage) 8 foot wooden toboggan.
      So I strapped it to the roof rack and drove in style.

Here it is outfitted for winter and summer.

Rave I hope my answer didn't sound to jerkish. (just reread it and it sounded jerkish)
      Your're right I shouldn't be driving it in the salt. I'll burn in hell for it I'm sure. If I ever get round to repainting it it'll be garaged during the winter. But dang the winters here are so loooong !

And hey if you need a part I might have laying around let me know. I get into the Cities once in awhile to see my daughters.
      I don't have alot of spare parts but you never knowbut maybe some oddball little thing will help.

Your reply didn't sound jerkish at all, but you will definately burn in hell for driving it in the Salt! :P

As much as I cringe at the thought, I'm so glad that you're driving the dang thing and enjoying it. Just don't let it rot!!! There aren't enough of these things in this State as is. Yours looks GREAT and I love the roof rack - really makes the wagons, in my opinion.

I appreciate the shout on parts. My in-laws live in Detroit Lakes, so I'm up there a few times a year as well. I've got a few boxes full of oddball stuff as well. Unless something is really roached, I don't throw it out when I replace it, because it's tough to tell how available parts will be 20 years from now.

Mike

The rack came off a 140. I think it was a 140? Whatever the one after the 122 was anyways. Got it from Red down in Long Prairie a few years ago.
      Just had to cut a few inches out of the back cross piece because the new Volvos are so square.

I lived by DL from 87 to 2,000.

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements