What did you do with your XC90 today? - Page 60
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 10 50 56 57 58 59 60
    Results 2,066 to 2,085 of 2085

What did you do with your XC90 today?

Washed, polished and ceramic coated my 2005 T6 with 173k miles...still looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by drjewalton; 05-26-2020 at 08:58 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Went to the DIY store to buy some wood flooring, which the XC swallowed with ease. Because of the virus I've been working from home, so I was nice to drive the 90, climate blowing cold, Rush CD playing, Randolph Aviators. Well cool, in a late 70's kind d of way.

On the 395 Expressway, just as you arrive at the DC / VA border, there is a substantial drop in the road level surface that runs across all four lanes that also happens to be the entry to a fairly high speed right sweeper while simultaneously turning the left most fast lane into a HOV / TOLL lane with very little forewarning or distance.

Thereís no way to avoid the dip and if taken too fast youíre almost guaranteed to catch air-time. All this is happening while unsuspecting drivers who realize theyíre now pinned in what will be a toll lane / HOV lane shoot across the road diagonally to get into the normal traffic lanes. Neither DC or VA want to fix this. Three cheers for bureaucracy and inter-jurisdictional bickering!

Yesterday afternoon as I was driving into this tricky zone in the middle lane, a white Camaro in full afterburner races past me on the left. The driver realizes heís coming in hot - too hot to make the turn and stay in the toll lane, so he jinks hard right and shoots across two lanes to open up the turn.

I have to hit my brakes to avoid a collision course but the car behind is about to ass pack me, so I immediately get back on the go pedal. Unfortunately this happens just as I enter the drop off. Ever see an XC90 achieve lift off? Well I may in fact gone from driver to pilot for about a few tenths of second and as I came down a glint flickered out the corner of my eye followed by a flutter.

My passenger side mirror glass committed suicide and flung itself off the backing plate.

No luck hoping to see it on the way home. If any one wants a free XC90 mirror itís somewhere on 395 near the Jefferson Memorial. I canít guarantee its condition.

I spend this morning at two pick and pull yards. First one was a bust. Two XC90s - both had the entire mirror housing already scavenged. Second yard deeper in Southern Maryland was the jackpot. 15 minutes of extremely gentle prying, dental floss sawing, and ginger coaxing later the bounty was mine! $10 for the mirror. $6 for Gorilla Glue.

But let me tell you something you never realize just how much you use and depend on your side view motors until one is missing.
      Iíd be lying if I said I didnít accidentally nearly cut off at least two cars over the past 24 hours because my brain didnít process the lack of a carís reflection in my mirror pod was because there was no glass - no that there wasnít a vehicle in the vicinity.
      Last edited by ShadowDancer; 05-29-2020 at 09:05 PM.
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Last week I tried changing my brake hoses and bleeding them....ended up shearing off the flare nut on one of them. Flare wrench had no problem with it but the nut was apparently seized to the steel lines. Mechanic friend came over and saved me, replaced a two foot section of the steel brake line. Told me I didn't even need to touch my hoses But the braking does feel better since the bleed.

Today a bit more successful, just did the idler and tensioner pulley bearings and serpentine belt.

Next up:

- Transmission fluid: haven't decided if I want to just do 4L at a time from the radiator, or a full flush. Doubt it's ever been done yet. But having trouble sourcing the proper ATF here. I can get Valvoline and Castrol muti vehicle that are supposed to meet T-IV. Toyota has some but it no longer says T-IV on the container (???) and Volvo doesn't even want to sell it to me (and costs an arm and leg). Also debating adding a Magnefine filter.

- Sunroof guides need to be replaced

- Motor mounts probably need to be done but doubt I can afford the labour right now (did the upper myself already)

- Blower motor makes some noises in winter but that's not a priority.
      2008 XC90 V8 4.4L AWD | LED headlights | iPd Strut Mount Conversion | 197,000 km

Finally got the interior deep cleaned and washed her before starting paint correction process. Seats came out great. Love the sport/r-design seats once the white stripes are actually white again!

And all my Vibrant parts arrived!

*V8 burbly noises...*

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

How did you restore the white? I would love to get my seats in better shape, but the white looks to be completely worn off down to the bare leather in places.
      2012 XC90 R-Design 3.2 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by tattedtriathlete View Post
      How did you restore the white? I would love to get my seats in better shape, but the white looks to be completely worn off down to the bare leather in places.
      I left the leather to the pros. I'm not sure what process they used but I'm super pleased with the results. The only place the white is worn down a bit is on the driver's lower bolster. I dont think there's a car out there with leather seats without that problem though.

3 days of paint correction. This girl needed some serious love. I can't feel my forearms, but I think the results are worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagoneer View Post
      3 days of paint correction. This girl needed some serious love. I can't feel my forearms, but I think the results are worth it.

Looking good! That deep wet look.

If you did the ceramic coating too, then it is definitely worth it. My back hurt more than my forearms when doing the paint correction, but with a ceramic coat on a paint correction, it makes cleaning the car much much easier and stay clean longer. If you ceramic coated, after a month or so, I would also start using the Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Spray Coating as a (sacrificial) top layer every 4-5 months to help make the ceramic last longer. Best spray coating I have used either with or without a ceramic coating.
      2008 XC90 3.2 AWD - 150k miles, Premium, Versatility 7 passenger, Climate, Convenience, retrofit Morimoto D2S HID bi-xenon, iPd swaybars & poly bushing inserts, Powerflex poly control arm bushings, Bilstein Touring Fr struts, Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus 255/55R18, Fr Infinity tweeters & speakers, hardwired cheap $17 Amazon Bluetooth to center console aux & pwr, CQuartz UK 3.0 ceramic coated, no oil consumption using Mobil 1 0W-40 even w/ my lead foot

About the XC90 3.2 - The good, the bad, and the ugly
      Upgrade front end rebuild with OEM, aftermarket, and original parts
      The better transmission JWS 3309/T-IV fluid for your 5 or 6 speed
      Strut Recommendations based on your specific XC90
      Why it's better to use synthetic oil instead of conventional

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownV View Post
      Looking good! That deep wet look.

If you did the ceramic coating too, then it is definitely worth it. My back hurt more than my forearms when doing the paint correction, but with a ceramic coat on a paint correction, it makes cleaning the car much much easier and stay clean longer. If you ceramic coated, after a month or so, I would also start using the Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Spray Coating as a (sacrificial) top layer every 4-5 months to help make the ceramic last longer. Best spray coating I have used either with or without a ceramic coating.
      I haven't dove into the ceramic coating world yet, but there is a coat of wax on there.

A rolly stool that's height adjustable is a back saver while holding a polisher. I find doing the hood is the worst part as far as my back hurting.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagoneer View Post
      I haven't dove into the ceramic coating world yet, but there is a coat of wax on there.

A rolly stool that's height adjustable is a back saver while holding a polisher. I find doing the hood is the worst part as far as my back hurting.

You will wish you did the ceramic coating after all that hard work. It is easier to apply a ceramic coating than waxing, it just takes a little more time because you have to wait a minute to allow the coating to flash before wiping/leveling off. The ceramic coating helps prevent those micro scratches from appearing again.

If you are still uncomfortable using a ceramic coating, then try the Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic spray.
      2008 XC90 3.2 AWD - 150k miles, Premium, Versatility 7 passenger, Climate, Convenience, retrofit Morimoto D2S HID bi-xenon, iPd swaybars & poly bushing inserts, Powerflex poly control arm bushings, Bilstein Touring Fr struts, Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus 255/55R18, Fr Infinity tweeters & speakers, hardwired cheap $17 Amazon Bluetooth to center console aux & pwr, CQuartz UK 3.0 ceramic coated, no oil consumption using Mobil 1 0W-40 even w/ my lead foot

About the XC90 3.2 - The good, the bad, and the ugly
      Upgrade front end rebuild with OEM, aftermarket, and original parts
      The better transmission JWS 3309/T-IV fluid for your 5 or 6 speed
      Strut Recommendations based on your specific XC90
      Why it's better to use synthetic oil instead of conventional

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownV View Post
      You will wish you did the ceramic coating after all that hard work. It is easier to apply a ceramic coating than waxing, it just takes a little more time because you have to wait a minute to allow the coating to flash before wiping/leveling off. The ceramic coating helps prevent those micro scratches from appearing again.

If you are still uncomfortable using a ceramic coating, then try the Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic spray.
      Once I use up all my current products I'm going to switch to ceramic friendly products and make the move. I only have about 2-3 more seasonal cleans before everything is used up.

Finally got my new wheels/tires on the car. Could not be happier with the fitment.

Last edited by R-Pow3R3d; 06-06-2020 at 01:35 AM.

Iím a bit disappointed, I won an eBay auction for the silver front bumper mounding that some pre-facelift XC90ís had and it was supposed to be delivered yesterday but it didnít show up. That would have been a fun weekend project, but after spending $500 yesterday at the mechanicís to get my car running I thought Iíd spend some more money and change the oil.
      Reset the Service Indicator message with VIDA

And now weíre going to take a break from the Volvo and give the 240 some attention. Won an eBay auction for power folding mirrors so those will get installed later today. Itís also got a bunch of stereo equipment coming so thatíll keep us busy for a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by TrstnBrtt; 06-13-2020 at 06:15 PM.

Sheered the serpentine adjuster doing the alternator replacement. Guess we are doing tensioner and pulleys too. Yea!

2004 S60R M66 Flash Green/Atacama
      2004 V70R M66 Mystic Silver/Gobi
      1997 S90
      2005 XC90 V8 Magic Blue/Taupe
      2008 S80 3.2 Shimmer Gold/Sandstone

2004 S60R Flash Green Atacama M66
      2004 V70 2.5T
      1997 S90

Quote Originally Posted by TrstnBrtt View Post
      Iím a bit disappointed, I won an eBay auction for the silver front bumper mounding that some pre-facelift XC90ís had and it was supposed to be delivered yesterday but it didnít show up. That would have been a fun weekend project, but after spending $500 yesterday at the mechanicís to get my car running I thought Iíd spend some more money and change the oil.
      Reset the Service Indicator message with VIDA

And now weíre going to take a break from the Volvo and give the 240 some attention. Won an eBay auction for power folding mirrors so those will get installed later today. Itís also got a bunch of stereo equipment coming so thatíll keep us busy for a bit.

Well not touching the XC90 didnít last long. We didnít even finish the S14 project when my bumper moulding came in so that got installed. Iím kind of ďehĒ about it

Last edited by TrstnBrtt; 06-16-2020 at 12:34 AM.

Did my 120k mile service all on my own! Never been afraid to wrench, just never had the time or didn't mind paying for it. Now I have the time, I wouldn't mind NOT paying for it

Oil Filter
      Oil
      Fuel Filter
      Air Filter
      Cabin Air Filter
      Wiper Blades
      Passenger parking and position lights

Also, thought the fog light bulbs were dead, so went in to change them, and the bulbs just weren't seated correctly. Crimped the terminal a bit so the bulbs would hold and place and bam! Back in action.

Also, instead of stepping up to CarPlay, I very neatly hid and ran wires for a Bluetooth audio receiver. Took the aux jack out of the cup holder area and just left it connected, dangling underneath the center console area. What a stupid place for an aux input. I'm actually incredibly happy with how it came out - all for $25!
      2014 Audi Allroad Prem+
      2009 XC90 V8 R-Design
      2013 WRX Limited Hatch - Satin White Pearl (Gone)
      2005 WRX Sedan (Gone)
      1998 V70R (Gone)

Awaiting Approval

Arm rest part number

Quote Originally Posted by snivac113 View Post
      Fixed my broken arm rest.

Hi, been trying to find that part for a long time. Do you remember the oem part number?

Swapped out the front passenger side hub but its still making a weird noise :-(

Also painted the calipers
      Hi, been trying to find that part for a long time. Do you remember the oem part number?

Just passed 100k, so time for some pampering.

Upper spring seats, struts and LCA bushings.
      New set of tires.
      New spark plugs.
      Oil and filter (Mobil 1 0-40w).
      Flush and replace fluids in brake system, angle gear, rear diff, Haldex, transmission, engine coolant, power steering.
      Last edited by safetyfirst; 07-24-2020 at 08:11 PM.
      2005 XC90 V8 AWD Currently 100k miles
      Silver / Oak, IPD Sways and Endlinks, Currently shod with 19" Vulcanis and Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS Plus II
      CB-shaft failure at 36k miles and Valve Body failure at 44k - thankful for 7yr-100k VIP extended warranty.
      Head-on collision at 49k miles - thankful for being in a Volvo.

Just passed 200k. Tranny fluid, fuel filter, big list went in the glove box...

23. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 10 50 56 57 58 59 60