SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

What did you do with your XC90 today?

320K views 3K replies 225 participants last post by  lasagna-glass 
#1 ·
Similar to other forums on swedespeed, this is a general post thread for your latest adventures, general discussion, and random photos of your XC90. Saves us from having to create new threads for random thoughts and discussion.

See less See more
#2,479 ·
Well I've got good news to report.

Installing the transmission cooler seems to be good for about 20-30F. Driving in similar outdoor temps and at similar speeds I never saw the transmission temp rise above 172F, whereas before it was above 200F. Should make the fluid last a lot longer!

In other news, I picked up an entire case of Idemitsu ATF TLS-LV (their spec of WS fluid) for $2 per quart!! Should be set for the next fluid change.

#2,480 ·
Well I've got good news to report.

Installing the transmission cooler seems to be good for about 20-30F. Driving in similar outdoor temps and at similar speeds I never saw the transmission temp rise above 172F, whereas before it was above 200F. Should make the fluid last a lot longer!

In other news, I picked up an entire case of Idemitsu ATF TLS-LV (their spec of WS fluid) for $2 per quart!! Should be set for the next fluid change.
If you don't mind me asking, what was the average weight of what you were towing? That's awesome news!

#2,484 ·
De-fogged my headlights, ordered new bulbs, now need to solve why my high beams haven't been working

Reactions: tonymy01 and BKXC90
#2,487 ·
I think the V8 springs are pretty stout and there's bunch of flex when you put the seat on. I've had best luck with Volvo but if I'm doing this at home I try and get the assembled strut back and the weight of the vehicle on it as quickly as I can.

I've seen the seats flex pretty hard once they're put together and blew through a set of IPD HD seats on my Sport after 4 months so know your story somewhat. Nevertheless, I still strongly prefer Volvo for the seats with the V8, think they're the most robust over time.

#2,488 ·
Replaced the broken left taillight and burned bulb over the weekend. What were the odds that the replacement taillight (used) had the same bulb failure as the original? I couldn't believe it. On a high note, the "Anti-skid Temporarily Disabled" message disappeared this weekend, too. I suspect this is just a coincidence, any thoughts?

After getting everything buttoned up the driver headlight went out. [emoji2357] I replaced both sides so they perfectly match, though I still need to defog them before winter.

Next on my list:

1) Replace #4 fuel injector (hopefully that cures our misfire).
2) Replace timing belt and serpentine belt
3) Trouble shooting the Security System issue message
4) Replace rear brakes and adjust parking brake
5) Defog headlights so those new beams can shine
6) Replace driver LCA and ball joint and get alignment

Does anyone have a tutorial for items 1, 2, or 4?

#2,489 ·
What is the security system message? VIDA tells you what device triggered the alarm, if you have random alarms going off.

Rear brakes is quite straight forward, but use Volvo shoes at best and if the inner rubbing surface of the parking drum brake is rusty, then the park brakes won’t hold well. New discs may be needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#2,490 ·
What is the security system message? VIDA tells you what device triggered the alarm, if you have random alarms going off.

Rear brakes is quite straight forward, but use Volvo shoes at best and if the inner rubbing surface of the parking drum brake is rusty, then the park brakes won't hold well. New discs may be needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Alarm System Service Required". All the door actuators work, so it might be a module. I'd prefer to disable it than replace modules, if that's an option. I think it is well past time for me to figure out a VIDA+DICE setup -quite the rabbit hole for running on a Mac.

I've got a new set of pads and discs for the rear. I'd overlooked new shoes for the parking brake, may as well get a set before starting in.

#2,498 ·
"Alarm System Service Required"

If the siren module is original, that's the first place I might look. No false alarms or problems currently with the sunroof?
No false alarms and no issues with the sunroof. I'm sure the module is original, records never noted it was swapped. Do you have a PN? IPD sells an "alarm system siren" Volvo PN 9452709, however fitment is for P2 cars with the exception of the XC90.

That's a good reminder I should consider at least a sunroof drain "inspection" before the winter.

#2,493 ·
We had iPd+ lower control arms installed, four new tires, a wheel alignment, and full synth. oil change done before hitting the road from New England to Detroit for the annual Woodward Avenue Dream Cruise, roughly an 850 mile drive.
In retrospect, with 125K miles on the odometer, the car needed the replacement control arms real bad.

I got the car in mid 2019 with about 85K, put new tires on etc. and drove out to Las Vegas & southern Utah in October that year, testing SiriusXM reception all the way.

Now, with this latest maintenance, the front end is WAY tighter, nor does the car intermittently pull left on medium braking from highway speeds.

I want to thank fellow member John C who inspired me to focus on the lower control arm bushings over lunch one fine sunny day last month.
We were discussing tire wear on the 3.2 XC90 and a light bulb went off in my head..

Its road manners are appreciably better now than when I got it.

M
Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Light Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust

#2,503 ·
I literally cannot recall the source but there was repeated mention of pulling fuse 8 for the siren control module (SCM) and it killing the sunroof module (SRM). There's a LIN connection between UEM, SCM, and SRM. I'm pretty sure when one craps out it affects the others, to what degree I don't know but it might just be a full module "failure" in the case of the SRM that's not working. At any rate, what you're suggesting really does point to a failed SCM in my opinion. You can read up on removal and replacement, it's pretty easy but you need a few tools to do the job. It's possible that you can open the unit up and see the degree of damage, effect a repair with a new battery then reseal back up (few posts on that as well). I opted not to go that route and replaced with new. In my particular case there was corrosion all over the printed circuit board (PCB) and most of the connectivity traces were etched off.

My "guess" is SCM leaky battery causing a LIN failure which extents to SRM functionality.

#2,504 ·
Thanks, this gives me some good leads. Interestingly, we took the XC90 on a long trip this weekend and that warning message didn’t show up during the drive. I’m sure it will return, it’s been consistently on for a while. I’ll start with a check of the fuse (I suspect it is fine) and then work on removing the SCM for inspection.

#2,505 ·
Thanks, this gives me some good leads. Interestingly, we took the XC90 on a long trip this weekend and that warning message didn't show up during the drive. I'm sure it will return, it's been consistently on for a while. I'll start with a check of the fuse (I suspect it is fine) and then work on removing the SCM for inspection.
Just chiming in here. I had the "alarm service required" warning come up on my 02 S60 a few weeks back. Alarm started going off in the middle of the night. Pulled the fuse at 3am in my PJ's. Anyhow, now the sunroof doesn't work! I have not had time to pull the SCM to look into fixing/replacing it. Doesn't even look like I can buy the part from FCP any longer. I may try and pull one off a car in a yard if I get to it.

#2,511 ·
I seem to replace mine around every other year and have one in the garage more or less all the time. If I recall correctly, Volvo actually reduced the price on this part back in 2007, maybe around the same time that they modified the part by adding ribs to make it more rigid so they clearly knew of the issue. Butt sliding is the culprit, hard to get in/out of the seat without.