T8 wiring and required plug type for charging at home - a guide - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
      I created a separate thread with thoughts on home charging station and my installation of a ChargePoint Home 16a station:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...arging-Station
      2016 XC90 T8 OSD
      Luminous Sand (719) with Agnes blond / charcoal (UC00) - HUD, wood steering wheel, dark flame birch, air suspension, B & W sound, convenience, vision
      previously: 2013 XC90 OSD - 2007 XC90 OSD - 1991 850

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

In the US - installation of a home charging station (retroactively in 2015 and in 2015) may qualify for an Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Tax Credit - see here:

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/laws/10513
      2016 XC90 T8 OSD
      Luminous Sand (719) with Agnes blond / charcoal (UC00) - HUD, wood steering wheel, dark flame birch, air suspension, B & W sound, convenience, vision

I found that if I open the hatch while the vehicle is charging, I can't remove the J1772 plug.
      I then have to lock the vehicle and then unlock the vehicle by opening the door.
      2016 Volvo XC90 T8

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rpmccormick View Post
      In the US - installation of a home charging station (retroactively in 2015 and in 2015) may qualify for an Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Tax Credit - see here:

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/laws/10513
      Thanks for the info.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 14 Nov 2019 | 43K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow Guy View Post
      I found that if I open the hatch while the vehicle is charging, I can't remove the J1772 plug.
      I then have to lock the vehicle and then unlock the vehicle by opening the door.
      Indeed - same scenario here as well.
      2016 XC90 T8 OSD

I have also created another thread regarding using pigtails or adapters with your TurboCord where you may encounter a 240 VAC outlet that is not the 6-20R:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...le-Accessories
      2016 XC90 T8 OSD

Is there a similar option for a 14-50? That's the most common in the wild (RV parks).

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      I intentionally went with the NEMA 14-50 plug and 50 amp breaker - using www.ClipperCreek.com 's charging station. This enables visitors who come with their RV's to plug-in for AC, et al (except when I am charging my T8. ). It is a bit of overkill but my logic was to be future-proofed and to accommodate the "cousin Eddy's" of the world (Chevy Chase and National Lampoon's Vacation).
      Not only that, all Tesla UMCs (40A chargers) use the NEMA 14-50 standard, if you are a positive individual make sure you participate on PlugShare and list your location to help fellow EV owners in need. I also installed an outside receptacle for the occasions I may not be home. I was on a recent trip to "God's country" aka SE WV and found a Leaf owner's home to charge my car off a J1772 (Level 2 40A).
      2015 S85D
      2012 S4
      2008 Turbo X
      2006 S60R
      2004 R32

Quote Originally Posted by Kandiru View Post
      Not only that, all Tesla UMCs (40A chargers) use the NEMA 14-50 standard, if you are a positive individual make sure you participate on PlugShare and list your location to help fellow EV owners in need. I also installed an outside receptacle for the occasions I may not be home. I was on a recent trip to "God's country" aka SE WV and found a Leaf owner's home to charge my car off a J1772 (Level 2 40A).
      Good idea to put a plug-in on the outside of the garage for PlugShare. As an aside, I wish AeroVironment would offer 14-50 option, but their customer support indicated that it was not in their plans. Maybe they would reconsider. Is there such a thing as a converter from a 14-50 plugin to 6-20 plug?
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 14 Nov 2019 | 43K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

Thumbs up

Wow you guys are so generous sharing your chargers
      2015 F150 LARIAT Sport 3.5L EcoBoost - Fully Loaded
      2016 XC90 T8 R-Design | Crystal White | Convenience | Vision | Climate with HUD | PA2 | Air Suspension | 22" Wheels | Carbon Fiber | Front Mud Flaps | OEM Rubber Floor Mats | Front Tint 35% | DashCam | 20" R-Design Wheels w/ Blizzak DMV2 | Ordered Feb 2/16 - Picked up June 7/16
      My Insta

Is there such a thing as a converter from a 14-50 plugin to 6-20 plug?
      I looked around for a while but couldn't find one. You're talking about going from a 50 amp service to a 20 amp plug - probably something not very much in demand (though this vehicle charging stuff could change that).

You could do it with a pigtail and an adapter - but I'd consider that messy. If I needed such a thing I'd just build my own. Or continue looking ...

Or see if these folks could custom make one for me (they seem to do that for Tesla owners):

https://www.evseadapters.com
      2016 XC90 T8 OSD

Thanks! The converter would only be to use the AeroVironment Dual Cord (240v) in a pinch when a 6-20 receptacle is not available, but a 14-50 is. I agree that it is probably not much in demand. I may check out the RV dealers and the website that you suggested. Thanks again.

Hi, I am new here. Waiting for my beautiful T8 Inscription 21" Ember Black. I have seen heads on US home charging kits. Anyone could share what is available for Europe?
      I know about solutions offered by Ensto and Garo only.
      Last edited by rafal007; 02-27-2016 at 01:50 PM.

Home Charging Station

Hello,
      In my house, we use this charging station. It charges the car in 3 hours from 0% to 100%.
      It costs 800 Euro including installation and cable.

I intentionally went with the NEMA 14-50 plug and 50 amp breaker - using www.ClipperCreek.com 's charging station. This enables visitors who come with their RV's to plug-in for AC, et al (except when I am charging my T8. ). It is a bit of overkill but my logic was to be future-proofed and to accommodate the "cousin Eddy's" of the world (Chevy Chase and National Lampoon's Vacation).
      This makes you BEV proof, all Tesla mobile connectors plug into these.

Please be kind and enroll on plugshare.com, you may make new friends for life with some desperate BEV driver.
      2015 S85D
      2012 S4
      2008 Turbo X
      2006 S60R
      2004 R32

Two weeks ago I thought it was dumb for me to pay more for the T8, since I know it will never pay off. Now I am hooked and just ordered a charging point 32A for the house.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
      Two weeks ago I thought it was dumb for me to pay more for the T8, since I know it will never pay off. Now I am hooked and just ordered a charging point 32A for the house.
      Cool
      2016 XC90 T8 R-Design | Crystal White | Convenience | Vision | Climate with HUD | PA2 | Air Suspension | 22" Wheels | Carbon Fiber | Front Mud Flaps | OEM Rubber Floor Mats | Front Tint 35% | DashCam | 20" R-Design Wheels w/ Blizzak DMV2 | Ordered Feb 2/16 - Picked up June 7/16
      My Insta

I got the chargepoint installed today. This car doesn't get to be parked in the garage, so we had to find a place outside where my wife would approve. Ended up hiding it inside of the trash gate, it seems to work pretty well. On the plus side, it would be easy to move it to the adjoining wall inside of the garage at a later date.

Last edited by djsaad1; 06-14-2016 at 04:53 PM.

I have to question why the charging port is located on the off-side (drivers side) of the car. (LHD markets)
      This means that if ever the car is charged while parked facing the direction of traffic, the rather large cable handle is projecting significantly into the street.
      The hazards to passing bikes and vehicles is obvious and then there is the question of damage to the port and handle as it gets side-swiped.
      The Mercedes S Class has a far more practical and elegant solution: the charging port is located at the passenger side rear of the car, pointing backwards, and not into traffic.
      Surely I'm not the first person to notice this potential hazard.

Out of interest, could someone tell me which side of the car the charging port is located on RHD T8s? Is it still on the driver's side or is it way over the other side of the car. That would be a bit of a pain when charging/disconnecting regularly.

Looks like it stays on the same side

Quote Originally Posted by sam818 View Post
      [SIZE=3]I have to question why the charging port is located on the off-side (drivers side) of the car. (LHD markets)
      This means that if ever the car is charged while parked facing the direction of traffic, the rather large cable handle is projecting significantly into the street.
      I'm having trouble imagining a scenario where the car is parked on the street, and there's a charging plug close enough to reach. That said, I would guess that the charging plug barely sticks out beyond the side mirror.
      Current: XC90 T8, Ember Black Inscription w/ Charcoal Interior (Darth Volvo),
      _______ with Convenience, Vision, B&W, Air Suspension, HUD
      Abandoned, in front of my house: 1992 740 Turbo Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by cbm View Post
      I'm having trouble imagining a scenario where the car is parked on the street, and there's a charging plug close enough to reach. That said, I would guess that the charging plug barely sticks out beyond the side mirror.
      The cable/plug combination looks like it sticks out quite a bit beyond the folded mirrors.
      For us city dwellers, where plug-in and hybrid arguably has the most positive environmental impact, being able to charge while parked on the street is the only option.
      Driveways and garages are not the norm in most cities.

see image: this car is parked on the street in Washington DC.

Last edited by sam818; 06-15-2016 at 05:06 PM.

Since the volvo on call app barely works these days, I am really happy I chose the chargepoint charger. I didn't think I would use much of the features, but being able to know when it is charging, when it is done, and to schedule reminders has been useful. That being said, the on call app, is supposed to have all these features, they just don't really work.

Quote Originally Posted by sam818 View Post
      The cable/plug combination looks like it sticks out quite a bit beyond the folded mirrors.
      For us city dwellers, where plug-in and hybrid arguably has the most positive environmental impact, being able to charge while parked on the street is the only option.
      Driveways and garages are not the norm in most cities.
      I'm guessing from the picture that it's legal to park on the "wrong" side of the road in the US?

Firstly, it's true to say that the U.S. does indeed drive on the "wrong" side of the road, as illustrated in the picture.
      However the problem for plug-ins is compounded by the fact that it is illegal to park NOT in the direction of traffic (unlike the U.K for example where you can park in any direction...so sensible)
      The U.S solution would be to allow cars (especially plug-ins) to park in the reverse direction to allow safer access to the charging port without the cable and plug creating a safety hazard.
      This problem could be neutralized at a global level if the charging port was located above the rear bumper as in the Mercedes S Class.

Image below:

Last edited by sam818; 06-15-2016 at 05:00 PM.

Actually, in the UK, Highway Code Rule 239 says "do not park facing against the traffic flow"

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-high...ing-238-to-252
      MY16 XC90 T8 Inscription, Electric Silver, Rugged Styling Kit, Charcoal Nappa Leather, Metal Mesh Inlays, Intelisafe Pro, Xenium Pack, Winter Pack, Apple CarPlay, Towbar, Power Front Cushion Extensions, Power Folding 2nd Row Headrests

Quote Originally Posted by FooManUK View Post
      Actually, in the UK, Highway Code Rule 239 says "do not park facing against the traffic flow"

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-high...ing-238-to-252
      I think the rules in the U.K are subtlety vague on the subject.
      For example, while the Highway Code specifies "do not" park facing the flow of traffic, the separate and distinct "parking at night" rules state that "you MUST not" park facing the flow of traffic, but then gives further leeway by saying "unless in a recognised parking space".
      For anyone living in the U.K. there are certain to be stories about getting parking tickets when parking the wrong-way on a one-way street, but it appears adherence to the Highway Code in this respect is akin the the adherence U.S drivers pay to passing in any lane on the freeway .... i.e. there is no adherance to the rule

No, they're very clear. You can't park facing in the wrong direction for the traffic (in the UK, and other countries such as Australia and NZ). That's what I meant when I referenced parking on the "wrong" side (not that the US drives on the "wrong" side of the road :-)). So, in the US, the "wrong" side would be the left. I got it the wrong way round looking at the photo, and confused the two. The photo shows the LHD car parked on the "right" side of the road and hence the problem. The charging cable is obviously made for RHD use and when the car is supplied in a LHD country it sticks into the traffic in those situations.

I guess there are compromises both ways. If you're LHD then it sticks out into the traffic if you charge on the side of the road, and if you're RHD you have to walk around the car to connect/disconnect.

Do you guys leave it on the charger all night? I have been unplugging the charger when it completes charging, seems to take a little over 2 hours. But now I can't precondition the car because it isn't on the charger. Is it bad to leave it plugged in all night even though it is fully charged?

Quote Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
      Do you guys leave it on the charger all night? I have been unplugging the charger when it completes charging, seems to take a little over 2 hours. But now I can't precondition the car because it isn't on the charger. Is it bad to leave it plugged in all night even though it is fully charged?
      I plug it in the evening and unplug before taking the kids to school, so yes it's plugged in all night. I guess it's ok to do that? We use the regular plug for now, seems to work ok for us but might change one day.
      My Insta

My charger is available in a plugin and hard wired version but it is the same charger (I have the hardwired version). I would think all chargers would work the same. As I understand it, the car switches on the power from the charger, when it is charged there is no power on the cable to the car and the charger draws very very little power.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk
      Last edited by Richard_Canada; 06-18-2016 at 01:11 PM.
      2016 XC90 T8 | Inscription | Osmium Gray | Charcoal Int |Park and Pilot assist upgrades |(delivered feb 2016 ordered march 2015)

It is fine to leave the vehicle plugged in all the time - either using the supplied cable from Volvo or with a charger / charging system.

The vehicle manages the power connection: it will draw power until the battery is fully charged. Once charged the amount of current the vehicle charges is negligible (you almost can't measure it).

Leaving it plugged in also allows the vehicle to draw additional power if you turn on the pre-conditioning.
      2016 XC90 T8 OSD

This is an L2 240v installation for the Turbocord I did at the family cottage. It is not ideal for charging while it is raining.
      The receptical is a Leviton 16441-W decora style NEMA 6-20r, and is available on amazon.

While this is the ski cottage installation that I previously described. The charger only fits in this enclosure for an L1 110v type charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Richard_Canada; 06-27-2016 at 01:18 PM.
      2016 XC90 T8 | Inscription | Osmium Gray | Charcoal Int |Park and Pilot assist upgrades |(delivered feb 2016 ordered march 2015)

A little off topic, but has anyone received the free chargepoint cards when ordering off their website? I have ordered two sets now, and am yet to receive any.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast