T8 wiring and required plug type for charging at home - a guide - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
      I did receive the one card I ordered, maybe 3-5 biz days later.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I received mine within two weeks. You might want to try again.
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 08-09-2016 at 10:38 PM.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 14 Nov 2019 | 43K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

I will try to send them home this time instead of the office, it's been 2 months from the first time, and a month from the last time.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

For anyone still looking for an EVSE, the JuiceBox app got a major design update today. I think it's pretty slick.

Yes, the photo is a Model S. The vehicle data is correct, though.

. Sure be nice if VOC app would add this kind of information and status in the future. Otherwise, the JuicePlug is coming out in September, probably using the same interface.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 14 Nov 2019 | 43K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      . Sure be nice if VOC app would add this kind of information and status in the future. Otherwise, the JuicePlug is coming out in September, probably using the same interface.
      I'm sure it will use the same app. I like having the full JuiceBox, though, as it lets me keep the TurboCord in the car all the time, and also has my garage reasonably ready for any EV at 40A capacity. Can also easily pop off the wall to come on a trip with me if I think I'll need its 14-50 plug for RV park charging.

The JuicePlug is a cool concept, though.

I agree. I am checking on cost to upgrade my existing ClipperCreek HCS-40. Otherwise, all is good.

Is there anybody from Europe here who has installed a home charging station? Which one would be recommended here?

Quote Originally Posted by dewispew View Post
      Is there anybody from Europe here who has installed a home charging station? Which one would be recommended here?
      I found mine here
      https://www.laadpaal24.nl/Laadpaal-V...T8-Twin-Engine

Had my 240V plug installed yesterday and am enjoying the short charge times.
      Can anyone confirm it's normal that there is significant heat generated by the Turbo chord? Mine is getting quite hot, even the blue plug that goes into the car gets warm with the 240v charging. We have had warm days here so the garage has been overly warm as well which doesn't help.
      2016 XC90 T8 R Bursting Blue w/ Vision, Climate & B&W

Have not noticed the blue handle getting hot with our 240v plug but does get warm.
      Last edited by Brutus99; 08-20-2016 at 01:44 PM.
      2015 F150 LARIAT Sport 3.5L EcoBoost - Fully Loaded
      2016 XC90 T8 R-Design | Crystal White | Convenience | Vision | Climate with HUD | PA2 | Air Suspension | 22" Wheels | Carbon Fiber | Front Mud Flaps | OEM Rubber Floor Mats | Front Tint 35% | DashCam | 20" R-Design Wheels w/ Blizzak DMV2 | Ordered Feb 2/16 - Picked up June 7/16
      My Insta

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus99 View Post
      Have not noticed the blue handle getting hot with our 240v plug but does get warm.
      TX for the feedback. Better today with normal outside temps. I think it was just the 33 degree heat.
      2016 XC90 T8 R Bursting Blue w/ Vision, Climate & B&W

I'm starting to think about where I want to install the home charging unit for my T8. The car will be kept in the driveway as we've got three motorcycles, the washer/dryer, a fridge, bicycles, tools, and a plethora of kids bikes/scooters/power wheels taking up much of the garage. My options are to install the charger in the front of the garage, near the garage door or to install it outside on the side of the house.

For those of you that have installed a charger (specifically looking at the ChargePoint charger to support a local business) is it at all feasible to run the charging cord underneath the garage door? I haven't seen one in person so I'm not sure how thick the cord is. I would prefer to have the charger inside, but considering my car will be parked outside, I'm not sure how else to run the cord. Alternatively, I could install it on the side of my house/driveway. I guess i'm just concerned that someone might mess with it.
      MY2017 XC90 T8 R Design * Bursting Blue * Carbon Fiber * Vision * Convenience * Booster

I know of people who run the cord under a door as you describe. However, the ChargePoint install guide specifically calls this out as a 'do not do', so I'd imagine your warranty would be shot if you do it.

Quote Originally Posted by snow4me View Post
      I'm starting to think about where I want to install the home charging unit for my T8. The car will be kept in the driveway as we've got three motorcycles, the washer/dryer, a fridge, bicycles, tools, and a plethora of kids bikes/scooters/power wheels taking up much of the garage. My options are to install the charger in the front of the garage, near the garage door or to install it outside on the side of the house.

For those of you that have installed a charger (specifically looking at the ChargePoint charger to support a local business) is it at all feasible to run the charging cord underneath the garage door? I haven't seen one in person so I'm not sure how thick the cord is. I would prefer to have the charger inside, but considering my car will be parked outside, I'm not sure how else to run the cord. Alternatively, I could install it on the side of my house/driveway. I guess i'm just concerned that someone might mess with it.
      Can you put a gate/fence around it? We have ours outside, it is on the side of the garage, but you need to open the gate to get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaxxon View Post
      ...the ChargePoint install guide specifically calls this out as a 'do not do', so I'd imagine your warranty would be shot if you do it.
      yea. that doesn't surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
      Can you put a gate/fence around it? We have ours outside, it is on the side of the garage, but you need to open the gate to get to it.
      I thought that maybe I could install it on the inside of our gate along the side of the house, but from the gate to the front of the garage is probably a good 15'. So it's just too far to do that. But perhaps I can find a box that I can install on the side of the house to put around it, at least the hub and charger portion. It would be protected from the elements that way also. And I'm sure I could find a way to lock it... I'll have to look around to see what I can find.
      MY2017 XC90 T8 R Design * Bursting Blue * Carbon Fiber * Vision * Convenience * Booster

FWIW, the JuiceBox has a 24' cord.

Looking at them again, the JuiceBox might be a better a better option after all. And I like that I can get a locking bracket it for it.

It's worked out well for me so far. It's not as good looking or well known as the ChargePoint, but it's built like a tank, has better specs, is a bit cheaper, and their support has been great.

All good things!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a little off topic, but I am really curious about this.

In Austin we have a few buildings that have there chargers in handicap spaces. They are marked as handicap spaces with both signs and stencils, but also say electric car parking only.

I keep skipping over them because I am not sure if I am allowed to park there or not. Anyone else come across this? I am guessing it means either/or, but it would be weird that ADA regulations would allow this, that means there are technically less handicap spaces.

Just purchased my home charging unit! Electrician has been scheduled, city permit for a new electrical panel have been approved, upgrade and install will be happening soon! One step closer to get ready for my T8!

Woot!

Great! Let us know how the JuiceBox and JuiceNet work. I have my ClipperCreek HCS-40P being upgraded to JuiceNet as I write this.

Great! Let us know how the JuiceBox and JuiceNet work. I have my ClipperCreek HCS-40P being upgraded to JuiceNet as I write this.
      Admittedly, I am hesitant to register with the JuiceNet rewards program as I know little about the program, nor do I know anyone using it. I think i'm just being skeptical from lack of true understanding of the program. I received an email from eMotorWerks requesting my utility bill to determine my full eligibility, I'll look more into it report back if I go forward with it.

I just received my ClipperCreek back from eMotorWerks/JuiceNet with the EVSE upgrade. It works really slick and has the option of setting a schedule for offpeak rates. I can monitor the charging rate and status of the car over WiFi and also monitor electrical usage for preconditioning particular in the winter months.

Also, I think the JuiceNet rewards only apply to California and may be an optional benefit. Anyway, the JuiceNet app is very nice and the EVSE allows you to have two plug-ins or devices to allow dual charging on the same circuit. The EVSEs adjusts automatically for amps needed between the two cars. I do not have that scenario but kind of nice as if I ever did in the future. See https://emotorwerks.com/products/juicenet

Check out Zaxxon's post at #74.
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 10-23-2016 at 10:00 PM.

Earlier this week I had an additional 14-50 outlet installed and finally plugged in my JuiceBox! I also submitted my utility info to the JuiceNet rewards program for approval. I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

Anyway, here are a few pictures of how I set up the charger (and my ham of a daughter!). I'm pleased with how it looks. From the street it just looks like another garden hose.

All ready for my T8!!!

Looks good!

Chargepoint Home EVSEs are marked down 15% until Dec 22nd. I think that puts their price around the same as the only other wifi+smartphone app enabled EVSE that I know of, the Emotorwerks JuiceBox Pro.
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription (OSD)

Just note that the Chargepoint is only 32A, while the JuiceBox is 40A. Not material if you only ever plan to charge the T8 (maxes out at 15A). Useful difference if you plan to get a full EV down the road.

That's true. However, is there any electric car other than Tesla, which doesn't need a standard EVSE, consume 40A from a Level 2 EVSE?

For about 3 years, I've been using a Juicebox I built from their kit. It works fine except needing a reset once in a while.

I ordered a Chargepoint with the discount because we needed another EVSE. We are going to install it where the aesthetics of Chargepoint would fit better than the Juicebox. (I know that's an odd reason to pick an EVSE :-) I'm also curious to try their app GUI.

Btw, Chargepoint is UL certified, while Juicebox is not. That matters to some people, especially Volvo customers who tend to value safety.

I'm not knocking the Chargepoint. From all I've read, it's a great product. I am just taking the long view, where that extra 8 amps is something I want to have.

You're right that today its use is limited. The Mercedes B-Class and any Tesla are about all that can take all 10 kW.

As for UL cert, it's supposedly coming soon for the JuiceBox.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaxxon View Post
      I'm not knocking the Chargepoint. From all I've read, it's a great product. I am just taking the long view, where that extra 8 amps is something I want to have.

You're right that today its use is limited. The Mercedes B-Class and any Tesla are about all that can take all 10 kW.

As for UL cert, it's supposedly coming soon for the JuiceBox.
      I didn't know that the Mercedes is 40A. Thanks.
      Got the ChargePoint yesterday. Nice looking packaging and design. Will try it sometime late next week.

I finally finished wiring the ChargePoint Home EVSE outside our garage today. There is a JuiceBox (old non-wifi version) inside the garage. With a couple of plug-in cars at the house now, we needed another EVSE to charge the second car that is parked to the left of our driveway (not seen in pictures below).

Here's my take on the ChargePoint Home EVSE.

Price
      All EVSEs are just glorified relay operated on/off switches. I can't believe how much these things cost. I paid $594 for a hard wired 25-foot cable version, which is actually 15% off the regular price of $699. I still think it is a bit expensive. But such is life :-)

Packaging
      Excellent job by ChargePoint. It was like opening an Apple product. Well thought out packaging design.

Physical Design
      Probably the best looking wall-mount EVSE. Sleek and functional, with useful and pleasing visual indicators. It doesn't look like some industrial box.

But one place they didn't do as good a job is the input cable entry for the hard wired version. The cable has to enter from the bottom of the box. They should have allowed cable entry from the back for the hard wired unit. It took me a while to make the cable entry not look ugly. My suggestion is for people to just pay the additional $25 and get the plug-in version. That comes with a cable whip and a nice harness mechanism to connect to the EVSE.

Pictures

Installed outside the garage

Testing the EVSE with our little Smart Car EV

GUI
      ChargePoint uses the same public charging app for controlling and monitoring the home charger. For me, this approach seems to result in an awkward GUI.

I'm a ChargePoint public charging network member, just for emergency purposes. In the past 3-4 years, I have yet to need a public network charge. All I want is an app that quickly launches to my home charger and shows everything related to that. But that's not how the app works. It keeps taking me to the public network page when I launch the app.

It takes a couple of touches to get to the home charger page. And the page is somewhat sparse. They don't show any current activity stats on that page.

To see current stats, you have to touch a couple more times to get to the activity page.

Then touch one more time to get to the details of the current session.

I can see a lot of opportunities for the GUI to be more efficient. In the end, I guess it is not a big deal because I probably won't look these stats after the initial excitement of the equipment wears off :-)

Conclusion
      Despite a GUI that I think can be improved if ChargePoint didn't look at the home charger as just another charger that supplements their public charging network, it is a physically well designed product. The lights / visual indicators are useful and pleasing. The industrial design is elegant. The nice little touch to override the set schedule by a plug-unplug-plug sequence is great. I'd give 4.02 stars out of five :-)
      Last edited by Trevlig; 12-11-2016 at 07:56 PM.

Thanks for the write-up. Seems to jive with my understanding that the Chargepoint unit looks much better than the JuiceBox, while the JuiceBox has a much more functional app (in terms of the home unit; obviously the Chargepoint app is useful for finding public charging stations).

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast