T8 wiring and required plug type for charging at home - a guide - Page 7
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by Brutus99 View Post
      I completely agree! Had regular plug for about a month and drove me crazy not being able to quickly charge during the day when had to leave again. Only installed the 240V plug and it's so much better now 👍
      Same with me. But what Technoredneck said really shows the value of larger batteries. If my car had a 50 mile EV range, I wouldn't need to be quite so aggressive about recharging. And, I routinely make a few trips each week that are just outside of my current 20 mile range. 20 miles is close enough for me most of the time. I can see from my driving patterns that I'm using all electric most of the time. I routinely average about 70+ "mpg" between fill ups. But, and I believe this was his point, I need to be very rigorous about getting the car recharged when I get home. I begin to see the advantages of a true EV urban driving. We will be replacing our 2012 in a couple of years and that will be with a full electric or at least with a plugin that gives 50 mile range ... But, it's got to be at least the equivalent of our 2012, not a volt,bolt,leaf. Maybe there will be an electric XC40 by then which would suit us just fine.
      2018 Xc60 T8 Inscription Ice White/Charcoal with everything except BW audio and Trailer Hitch
      2012 XC60 T6 AWD Ice White/Anthracite with everything except trailer hitch (Aug 2011)
      1965 Corvette Convertible which says it all.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

On another note. My charging cable is hopelessly kinked. Any ideas as to how to keep the cable smoothed out.
      2018 Xc60 T8 Inscription Ice White/Charcoal with everything except BW audio and Trailer Hitch
      2012 XC60 T6 AWD Ice White/Anthracite with everything except trailer hitch (Aug 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by oldbob1938 View Post
      On another note. My charging cable is hopelessly kinked. Any ideas as to how to keep the cable smoothed out.
      Only thing i cna think, is leave out outside in the hot sun for a bit, then un coil it and pull on it as much as you can to straighten.

Also a side note: a 32A charger is not needed, only a 16A since the XC90 only supports 16A charging. 32A is good for future investment.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I tried using the 110 volt outlet, and of course it works but just takes too long. I found that if I drive somewhere in the morning that it takes too long to recharge so I can again drive somewhere else that same day. So I decided to tap into my 50 amp circuit where I have the Leviton 40 amp charger plugged in. So I spliced into that the plug and then added a plug for the 240 volt Volvo charger. I have the Bolt on a timer and it will not start charging until around midnight. So I can charge the Volvo directly. At 15 to 16 amp 240 volts it charges up in about 3 hours. As long as I get it charged before midnight then I am not pulling 32 plus 16 equal to 48 volts. I probably would blow the circuit if that did happen. Probably will not pass an inspection, but not an issue at this time. I may disconnect that lock from the Volvo charger J1772 so that it does not require my locking and then unlocking the car. My other chargers do not lock when used.

Quote Originally Posted by drmanny3 View Post
      I tried using the 110 volt outlet, and of course it works but just takes too long. I found that if I drive somewhere in the morning that it takes too long to recharge so I can again drive somewhere else that same day. So I decided to tap into my 50 amp circuit where I have the Leviton 40 amp charger plugged in. So I spliced into that the plug and then added a plug for the 240 volt Volvo charger. I have the Bolt on a timer and it will not start charging until around midnight. So I can charge the Volvo directly. At 15 to 16 amp 240 volts it charges up in about 3 hours. As long as I get it charged before midnight then I am not pulling 32 plus 16 equal to 48 volts. I probably would blow the circuit if that did happen. Probably will not pass an inspection, but not an issue at this time. I may disconnect that lock from the Volvo charger J1772 so that it does not require my locking and then unlocking the car. My other chargers do not lock when used.
      Definitely playing with fire there

You could use the Volvo On Call app and save your house as a charging point, and then schedule charging in there.. That way, you can tell it to stop charging before the Bolt kicks in, in case you haven't already done that. Or, you could add a timer/home automation device to control when power is applied to each side... There are a few ways to play.

Yes, you'll risk the chance the circuit can trip, assuming full draw of both vehicles at the same time. I just wired up a 208V circuit at my work so I could be charged up quickly, and it saves so much time over just being on 120V.
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription (*LEMON - RETURNED TO VOLVO 2019-02-04 - THREAD OF FINAL 5 MONTHS*) (Crystal White + Amber, Packages: Vision, Convenience, Climate w/HUD, Leather Panel, Bowers and Wilkins, 4 Corner Air, 21" 8-Spoke)
      And, the BUY BACK or LEMON LAW Process - Information You Need to Know

Quote Originally Posted by drmanny3 View Post
      I may disconnect that lock from the Volvo charger J1772 so that it does not require my locking and then unlocking the car. My other chargers do not lock when used.
      I removed the locking part from my home charger so i dont have to unlock the car anymore. Been doing this for awhile now, no side affects. Just unplug and hop in and drive away. dont know why they dont make it an option in software not to lock when at home and in the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by mjpc View Post

You could use the Volvo On Call app and save your house as a charging point, and then schedule charging in there.. That way, you can tell it to stop charging before the Bolt kicks in, in case you haven't already done that. Or, you could add a timer/home automation device to control when power is applied to each side... There are a few ways to play.

Yes, you'll risk the chance the circuit can trip, assuming full draw of both vehicles at the same time. I just wired up a 208V circuit at my work so I could be charged up quickly, and it saves so much time over just being on 120V.
      Not sure where you are located, but in the US you cannot schedule via the app, yea that really sucks and dont know why they turned the feature off here in the US.

Am about to take a road trip in early Sept. I have discovered an adapter for a Nema 15-50r to a Nema 6-20p that looks like it would provide power to recharge the volvo using the turbocord. My son's home has a Nema 14-50 receptacle that he used with his trailer. Would there be any downside to using the adapter with the turbocord to charge the volvo while visiting him?

Although I have no direct experience with these products, here is a link to a company that specializes on various adapters. After reading some of the information and reviews, it is represented that certain NEMA 6-20 adapters can be used with the AeroVironment Dual Cord. One review, by a new Volvo XC90 T8 owner, indicates that the Tesla to J1772 adapter works fine, too. Just FYI.

https://www.evseadapters.com/collections/all

Disclaimers: Although the AeroVironment Dual Cord may be used outdoors, an adapter connection is not water-proof so precautions may be warranted (e.g., elevated above ground, covered). As many already know, Volvo does not recommend the use of adapters or extension cords.
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 08-26-2018 at 08:46 AM.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 45K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

Quote Originally Posted by oldbob1938 View Post
      My son's home has a Nema 14-50 receptacle that he used with his trailer. Would there be any downside to using the adapter with the turbocord to charge the volvo while visiting him?
      I'm not familiar with the Nema 14-50 plug, but I went to a cabin this summer and used some adapters I had from my 30-amp RV to charge up the T8.

I know Volvo doesn't recommend adapters or extension cords, but I figured that since they were outdoor-rated and used very thick RV wiring I would have no problems. And I had no problems at all.

I also brought a 25ft 30-amp RV extension cord but I didn't need to use it.
      Attached Images Attached Images
      "Electra" ~ 2018 XC90 T8 R-Design Bursting Blue ~ Driver's Log ~ Gallery
      Gone but not forgotten: "The Beast" GMC Yukon XL Denali ~ "The STI, aka Dexter" Subaru Impreza WRX STI ~ "Dixie" VW Passat GLX

I'm now back from my trip. I did purchase a short adapter cord from Amazon for $59. It work well with the AeroVironment Dual Cord. The cable part of the connector is just over a foot and it is truly heavy duty. The mfg states it is intended for power tools, no mention of EVs. I'd normally forego the expense, but I often visit family and I really don't like using the ICE in local driving.

Quote Originally Posted by infinkc View Post
      I removed the locking part from my home charger so i dont have to unlock the car anymore. Been doing this for awhile now, no side affects. Just unplug and hop in and drive away. dont know why they dont make it an option in software not to lock when at home and in the garage.

Not sure where you are located, but in the US you cannot schedule via the app, yea that really sucks and dont know why they turned the feature off here in the US.
      How do you remove the lock?

Quote Originally Posted by mobsync View Post
      How do you remove the lock?
      You simply cut it - it's a tough little piece of plastic, but, it can be cut.. or, you can shave down the tooth that locks in so you still have the pin as a guide for insertion.
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription (*LEMON - RETURNED TO VOLVO 2019-02-04 - THREAD OF FINAL 5 MONTHS*) (Crystal White + Amber, Packages: Vision, Convenience, Climate w/HUD, Leather Panel, Bowers and Wilkins, 4 Corner Air, 21" 8-Spoke)

Looking for some feedback please. I'm the relatively new (purchased in August) owner of a T8 S90 that I'm looking to install a level 2 charger for. To date I've been using the TurboCord on a 110 circuit and charging overnight with the car parked directly behind my wife's in the image below which is not ideal since I end up blocking her in. My scenario is a little bit unique in that I'm looking for a solution that will permit me to park and charge outside in the driveway since the car won't be garage parked at all times. Here is the layout:

The image is not to scale, but reflects the pertinent details close enough. In hindsight we bought the home with a true two car garage meaning either two cars and nothing else or one car and storage for "stuff" of which the latter prevailed. To that effect, that is why outdoor charging remains a requirement. Option RED is where I prefer to park for both of us to comfortably navigate the driveway, but is nearly 30 feet from the garage wall. Unfortunately level 2 chargers pretty much top out at a 25 foot cord which creates an obstacle. Option BLUE is convenient to installing the charger with a standard cord length, but literally our vehicles are line on line and parking both vehicles requires exact precision, not necessarily my wife's strength. Option RED for that reason is preferred. Any recommendations or do's/dont's with outdoor charging (southwest Virginia climate)?

My plan is to have an electrician install 50A service with a NEMA 14-50 outlet as relative future proofing and an option when my parents visit with charging their RV. In either option, RED or BLUE, assuming I'm not violating any electrical code, I plan to have the outlet installed on the interior wall of the garage adjacent to the garage door. With that as my service starting point I'm looking for feedback, experience with the different level 2 chargers out there. If I went option BLUE which honestly is not preferred at the moment, cord length is not an issue in the 20 to 25 foot range. If I go the preferred option RED, I'm favoring the JuiceBox Pro 40 which I believe is highly rated and I can purchase through JuiceBox an extension cable to make up the length required over the standard cord length. Anyone counter that solution or prefer other chargers over the JuiceBox?

Thanks.

I have a JuiceBox Pro 40 on a 14-50 outlet that I use to charge our T8 and a Tesla. We occasionally do charge outside the garage and have done so in rain and snow; I wouldn't worry about that being an issue. The J1772 connector is rated for outdoor use. I've never used the eMotorWerks extension cable, but it is also rated for outdoor use. I think your plan is fine.

T8 wiring and required plug type for charging at home - a guide

Another idea for your Red option is to install a 50-amp Service (NEMA 14-50 receptacle recommended) to that area and set it up similar to a RV connection. Th electrical code specifies the depth of the trench - maybe 24” or deeper for 240v. Not sure if the extra cost v. Cost of an extension cord for your charger is a wash or cheaper. Also, some chargers are weatherproof and also come with anti theft deterrents. There are many possibilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 11-19-2018 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Replaced “buy” with “install”
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 45K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

Quote Originally Posted by one_9_ View Post
      I'm looking to install a level 2 charger ... that will permit me to park and charge outside in the driveway since the car won't be garage parked at all times. ... I plan to have the outlet installed on the interior wall of the garage adjacent to the garage door. ... Anyone counter that solution or prefer other chargers over the JuiceBox?
      Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      Another idea for your Red option is to install a 50-amp Service (NEMA 14-50 receptacle recommended) to that area and set it up similar to a RV connection. ... There are many possibilities.
      I'm going to second Gary's external outlet recommendation.

That 20ft TurboCord that came with your T8 is good for both 110V (Level1) and 220V/240V (Level2) outlets and costs $500(!) but was of course free from Volvo.

TurboCord adapter.jpgnema 6-20 outlet.jpg

If an exterior Level2 outlet (NEMA 6-20) is installed (interior one costs $6 @ HomeDepot) near the red car - either by an electrician or you can do it all yourself if you're comfortable
      • putting the proper breaker in the main panel
      • wiring to the main panel
      • digging a trench and doing exterior wiring
      • looking up local/state code requirements
      • etc

- there is no need to spend $500+ on another Level 2 charger box like the JuiceBox. You will need to encase the TurboCord somehow to ensure it's weatherproof at the plug point.

The plus of doing this is saving $500+ on a "landlocked" Level2 charger box and putting that free ($500 value) TurboCord from Volvo to good use! (I put in an interior NEMA 6-20 outlet and didn't spend more money on another Level2 charger box - example setup photo from TurboCord shown below.)

turbocord at wall.jpg

Let us know how you end up and good luck!
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

+1 ^, if you’re looking for the most economical 240v solution and avoid buying another EVSE.

Here is a possible “in-use” weatherproof box for the NEMA 6-20R if you opt to use the Dual TurboCord - which is certainly the most economical.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-Gang-V...280S/202589082

Your electrician, electrical supply store or big box stores (e.g., Home Depot, Lowe’s, Costco) should help steer you in the right direction.

P.S., You may wish to consider running a 240v service with a 4-wire that is rated for higher amps (40 amps instead of 16 amps). Since the wire, trenching and installation will be the most expensive, it would much easier to upgrade in the future should you ever want to do so as you would only need to swap out the breaker (from a 20 amp breaker to a 50 amp breaker) and 14-50R (from a 6-20R). With this wiring, I understand you could even “add” a 110v 5-15R, but your electrician would know for sure.

Good luck.

Here is a possible “in-use” weatherproof box for the NEMA 6-20R if you opt to use the Dual TurboCord - which is certainly the most economical.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-Gang-V...280S/202589082
      Oh great . . . now you're inspiring me to install an exterior line with a box like this for the summer months I park outside!

You may wish to consider running a 240v service with a 4-wire that is rated for higher amps (40 amps instead of 16 amps). Since the wire, trenching and installation will be the most expensive, it would much easier to upgrade in the future should you ever want to do so as you would only need to swap out the breaker (from a 20 amp breaker to a 50 amp breaker) and 14-50R (from a 6-20R).
      +1!!!
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

As mentioned before (I think in the XC60 forums).. the adapter that comes with the Turbocord to convert 5-20 to 6-20 is passive. There are NO electronics or anything inside, all electronics are within the TurboCord body. If you are able to properly mark and lock out your 5-15/20 outlet, and wire it appropriately, you can use the TurboCord without the adapter, saving real-estate (important, as not all lockable/sealed outdoor boxes will accommodate the depth with the adapter on). This is typically against code since you're not allowed to wire a 5-series outlet as 208/240V, however, properly identifying and locking the box to only have the TurboCord can be acceptable in some cases.

Remember, you can argue that placing a 6-20 outlet with a passive 6-20 to 5-20 adapter accomplishes the same thing as using a 5-20 outlet from the start. But, if you plug in a device that isn't capable of 208/240V, you'll have problems. So, exercise caution if you choose to do this.

Disclaimer - you are responsible for your own actions if you do this.

I think a proper DIY job also requires adding a dedicated sub-panel to run the charger on its own circuit, at least if done by the code in my area. Cost is not an issue - an outdoor rated sub-panel is only $30 vs $20 for an indoor one, but it does require opening up main panel, which I imagine most people wouldn't be comfortable doing.

But as others suggested, by all means take advantage of the provided turbo cord's 240V charge capability and do not buy a dedicated EVSE, but simply add a NEMA 6-20 outlet at a suitable location. For future proofing, run a thicker cable, so that if you need to upgrade to 40-50 amp charging, you could simply swap breakers and outlets.
      Poverty-spec 2016 XC90 T8 Momentum
      Zero options, $52K out the door brand new

Quote Originally Posted by likeXC90 View Post
      I'm going to second Gary's external outlet recommendation.
      If an exterior Level2 outlet (NEMA 6-20) is installed (interior one costs $6 @ HomeDepot) near the red car - either by an electrician or you can do it all yourself if you're comfortable

- there is no need to spend $500+ on another Level 2 charger box like the JuiceBox. You will need to encase the TurboCord somehow to ensure it's weatherproof at the plug point.

The plus of doing this is saving $500+ on a "landlocked" Level2 charger box and putting that free ($500 value) TurboCord from Volvo to good use! (I put in an interior NEMA 6-20 outlet and didn't spend more money on another Level2 charger box -

Let us know how you end up and good luck!
      Here is a an actual photo of the driveway area with the S90 in the RED location rather than the diagram for the visual people like myself. I did very strongly first consider the NEMA 6-20 route with the existing TurboCord and even rereading these replies keeps me considering it. The problem is the distance from the S90 (charge port) to the exterior wall of the house is greater than the TurboCord length. Not that I couldn't put an exterior 6-20 outlet on a post near the car with all of the aforementioned provisions, I just didn't like that concept and the added elements of a standalone external line and post. That is also the south, sunny side of the house (hence my hop trellis location) so I'd still prefer an indoor mount for any setup to reduce sun wear. Lastly, I mentioned my parents periodically visit with their 5th wheel RV which has a 14-50 plug so having a mating outlet for their visits versus the 6-20 is a factor.

What I did do was convince my wife who doesn't like me parking behind her and blocking her in, that with the impending holiday and the fact I was going to get a charge station for the car anyway, she should just get me a JuiceBox Pro40. The Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale eMotorWerks ran just eased her purchase decision. I'll still have to purchase the eMotorWerks J1772 extension cable (and figure a locking solution). In either scenario I need to contact my electrician to install the service line so I have that to work on before Christmas. Plan is to have the NEMA 14-50 outlet installed basically on the interior side of the wall opposite that left exterior light.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Hi, I need some help with regards to charging.

I currently have a dryer outlet setup in my garage (Nema 10-30). I want to use this with the turbocord that came with my new 2019 T8 inscription.

Is there a certain plug that you guys recommend to get so I can use my old dryer 10-30 plug? I see a bunch of 6-20R to 10-30P adapters on the market, but which ones are good? Should I be worried that the 10-30 outlet isn't grounded?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AMuller396 View Post
      Hi, I need some help with regards to charging.

I currently have a dryer outlet setup in my garage (Nema 10-30). I want to use this with the turbocord that came with my new 2019 T8 inscription.

Is there a certain plug that you guys recommend to get so I can use my old dryer 10-30 plug? I see a bunch of 6-20R to 10-30P adapters on the market, but which ones are good? Should I be worried that the 10-30 outlet isn't grounded?

Thanks
      Depending on how it's wired, since NEMA 10 receptacles aren't allowed by code anymore, and are wired hot-hot-neutral, you can re-wire it fairly easily (assuming you have electrical skills, or know someone that does). Since the NEMA 6 outlet is hot-hot-ground, you usually just move the neutral wire that was run on the NEMA 10 outlet to a ground buss at the breaker, as long as it wasn't spliced (a.k.a. direct run). And as long as your properly mark the adjusted wiring, you should be okay. You should probably avoid using any adapter, since the issue will be the ground. You can ground it other ways, but, it's safer just to move the wiring at the breaker panel.

Quote Originally Posted by AMuller396 View Post
      I currently have a dryer outlet setup in my garage (Nema 10-30). I want to use this with the turbocord that came with my new 2019 T8 inscription. ... Should I be worried that the 10-30 outlet isn't grounded?
      ...since NEMA 10 receptacles aren't allowed by code anymore, and are wired hot-hot-neutral, you can re-wire it fairly easily ... Since the NEMA 6 outlet is hot-hot-ground, you usually just move the neutral wire that was run on the NEMA 10 outlet to a ground buss at the breaker, as long as it wasn't spliced (a.k.a. direct run). And as long as your properly mark the adjusted wiring, you should be okay.
      Agree with mjpc.
      If you're motivated to do the wiring but lack the knowledge, i highly recommend getting yourself a paper copy of "Black & Decker Complete Guide to Wiring, 7th Edition" which is $17 on Amazon.com right now (2019.01.03). This book (along with other books in Black & Decker's DIY series) are worth far more than the paltry $17. I learned how to rewire half our house based on this book and is written for idiots like myself with plenty of pictures and explanations for a 10th grader (16 year old for you non-USA peeps). Note there are older editions which are not updated for the latest (USA) electrical code but for what you're doing it won't matter as it's pretty basic.
      You should probably avoid using any adapter, since the issue will be the ground. You can ground it other ways, but, it's safer just to move the wiring at the breaker panel.
      +1.
      Last edited by likeXC90; 01-03-2019 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Corrected book pricing and latest edition

This seems to be the most active place for plug-in discussion. Is there any benefit, or detriment, to keeping a T8 plugged in even after it is fully charged? There are days where my wife might not drive her car at all, and thus the cable will stay plugged in for 24-36 hours. Or, it is what it is, and the car takes care of it.

No detriment; the car will manage charge as needed. Small benefit is you can use parking climate off of shore power if you need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaxxon View Post
      No detriment; the car will manage charge as needed. Small benefit is you can use parking climate off of shore power if you need to.
      Thank you. I was hoping that was the case, but wanted to confirm. Appreciate it.

Recently bought a 2019 XC 60 T8,and it seems the best place to ask "plug in" questions is here. Having a home generator installed soon and at the same time will have the electrician run 240 (20 amps) to the garage. Now do I really need a charging station? or is the receptacle suffice? My understanding with the 240 recepticle it will be around 3 hrs to charge from empty to full? I dont have the volvo App up and running....as I have a loaner T8 until they get mine ready..but can you set up charging times via the App? Ie from 0100 to 0700 if ones power rates are cheaper? Ty

Quote Originally Posted by flames9 View Post
      Recently bought a 2019 XC 60 T8,and it seems the best place to ask "plug in" questions is here. Having a home generator installed soon and at the same time will have the electrician run 240 (20 amps) to the garage. Now do I really need a charging station? or is the receptacle suffice? My understanding with the 240 recepticle it will be around 3 hrs to charge from empty to full? I dont have the volvo App up and running....as I have a loaner T8 until they get mine ready..but can you set up charging times via the App? Ie from 0100 to 0700 if ones power rates are cheaper? Ty
      240 receptacle works just fine on our 2017 T8.

You can use the AeroVironment Dual Cord with the 240v adapter without needing a separate EVSE charging station.

Yes, the 240v charger will charge a T8 battery in about 3 hrs.

VOC app can schedule "preconditioning"; but the iOS version does not support scheduled "charging" (at least currently) in US. There are mixed reports on whether Android supports it - maybe in EU, maybe with an update. Check out this thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...duled+charging Good luck on your project.
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 02-26-2019 at 10:03 PM.

You can use the AeroVironment Dual Cord with the 240v adapter without needing a separate EVSE charging station.

Yes, the 240v charger will charge a T8 battery in about 3 hrs.

VOC app can schedule "preconditioning"; but the iOS version does not support scheduled "charging" (at least currently) in US. There are mixed reports on whether Android supports it - maybe in EU, maybe with an update. Check out this thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...duled+charging Good luck on your project.
      I had no problem scheduling on the Android - I can't test it anymore since I no longer have the XC90, but, last I tried it, it did work (and, I even posted pictures in one of the threads showing the charge port with a blue light, before it transitioned to green when the scheduled start time hit).

Getting close for my electrician to install 240 service to my garage.... Is an actual charging station more safe than just using a receptacle?
      Last edited by flames9; 05-03-2019 at 07:13 PM.
      2019 XC 60 T8 Inscription Osmium Grey
      2017 Honda Africa Twin

Getting close for my electrician to install 240 service to my garage.... Is an actual charging station more safe than just using a receptacle?
      If entirely indoors, a receptacle for a Dual charging cord is just as safe as charging station.

A charging station can be hardwired or connected via receptacle. Hardwire is technically the safest, but practically-speaking, a receptacle can be equally safe if properly installed.

Now, if you have an outdoor installation, the charging station must be rated for outdoor use. The outdoor electrical service must also be outdoor-approved.

Other Considerations
      - Hard-wire is the safest. but your charging station will not be easily portable.

- An outdoor receptacle installation needs an outdoor-rated/weather-proof box and “in-use” cover.

- Consult your local electrical code, licensed electrician, et al with your proposed set-up (which you obviously did. )

If entirely indoors, a receptacle for a Dual charging cord is just as safe as charging station.

A charging station can be hardwired or connected via receptacle. Hardwire is technically the safest, but practically-speaking, a receptacle can be equally safe if properly installed.

Now, if you have an outdoor installation, the charging station must be rated for outdoor use. The outdoor electrical service must also be outdoor-approved.

Other Considerations
      - Hard-wire is the safest. but your charging station will not be easily portable.

- An outdoor receptacle installation needs an outdoor-rated/weather-proof box and “in-use” cover.

- Consult your local electrical code, licensed electrician, et al with your proposed set-up (which you obviously did. )

It will be in my garage, so totally indoors and out of any weather!! I guess I really want a charging station,lol but I can't find a good enough excuse for one.
      2019 XC 60 T8 Inscription Osmium Grey
      2017 Honda Africa Twin

It will be in my garage, so totally indoors and out of any weather!! I guess I really want a charging station,lol but I can't find a good enough excuse for one.
      Unless you really want to easily track power input via the station, I recommend skipping buying the power station, using that free charger ($500+ value!) that came with your T8, and spend the $500 elsewhere (dash cam, PPF front bra, nice meal, jewelry for the wife, power tools, donation, Tesla stock, etc)

Note the 240V plug was placed by the garage door so the T8 can be parked outside and still have the cord reach (with the garage door closed) while not exposing the 240V plug to the elements.
      Last edited by likeXC90; 05-03-2019 at 10:00 PM.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast