T8 wiring and required plug type for charging at home - a guide - Page 8
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
      Quote Originally Posted by likeXC90 View Post
      Unless you really want to easily track power input via the station, I recommend skipping buying the power station, using that free charger ($500+ value!) that came with your T8, and spend the $500 elsewhere (dash cam, PPF front bra, nice meal, jewelry for the wife, power tools, donation, Tesla stock, etc)
      I guess I figure I must be missing out on something,lol I will just stick with the boring free charger......ty
      2019 XC 60 T8 Inscription Osmium Grey
      2017 Honda Africa Twin

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by flames9 View Post
      I guess I figure I must be missing out on something,lol I will just stick with the boring free charger......ty
      Haha, IMO the ones buying the charger station are the ones missing something, ie $$$! but to be fair everyone has different needs . . .
      I included pictures of what my boring free charger setup looks like (post #245). Quick full charge in ~2.5 hours, just like those charger stations. Don't forget once you've plugged in (whether 120V or 240V or boring free charger or fancy charging station) your Volvo On Call app accurately predicts when your charge is done!
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

Good to have options, including having the DualCord as a backup. FWIW, my primary rationale for an EVSE is:

The JuiceNet Pro 40, as an example,
      1. is small enough to be portable;
      2. is versatile enough to be plugged into various and common 240v receptacles (using supported adapters); and
      3. charges faster with 240v (since NEMA 6-20 is not readily available - assuming that public charging stations are not available).

For me, it is unfortunate that the DualCord NEMA 6-20r 240v is not found in the wild except places with window a/c’s.

There are more benefits for an EVSE, but I shared my primary ones FWIW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 3M Crystalline 50% Tint, 97% UV Rejection, 60% Solar Heat Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 02 Jul. 2020 | 46K miles | MPG 31.8 Lifetime including transcontinental trips, regional trips and towing

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by likeXC90 View Post
      Haha, IMO the ones buying the charger station are the ones missing something, ie $$$! but to be fair everyone has different needs . . .
      I included pictures of what my boring free charger setup looks like (post #245). Quick full charge in ~2.5 hours, just like those charger stations. Don't forget once you've plugged in (whether 120V or 240V or boring free charger or fancy charging station) your Volvo On Call app accurately predicts when your charge is done!
      For me I use mine to schedule the charging as the electric rates vary on the time of day.

Awaiting Approval
      Quote Originally Posted by rogbmw View Post
      Several weeks ago we had the electricity ran in the garage in anticipation to getting the T8. We picked up our T8 one week ago, and realized that we had done a little overkill and the wrong type of plug. I tried to find out what type of plug the T8 charging cord takes, but could not find it written down - maybe I just overlooked it somewhere.

According to the manual, the T8 charges at 15 Amps. We had a 50Amp circuit and plug installed with a NIMA 14-50 type plug, which was overkill.

On Friday we changed out everything to meet the needs of the T8. Here is what you need:

Plug Type: Legrand 5851 http://www.legrand.us/passandseymour...ngle/5851.aspx
      Circuit breaker: 20 Amps

Of course you can remove the 120-240 adapter on the plug, and charge with 120, but it takes over 2 times as long.

Hope this helps others getting ready for the T8.
      Like another fellow poster, I also went a bit overkill and had a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed and got a Juicebox 40 for home charging. We have it installed in a position where my husband could potentially use it whenever he finally changes to EV. However, there are NEMA 14-50 outlets available at work and I can’t exactly take the Juicebox with me so I found an alternative solution that lets me use the TurboCord that came with the car to plug in at work, and it makes me wonder if the Juicebox was even necessary in the first place.

This is the extension with a female NEMA 6-20 (for 240V charging using the TurboCord) and a male NEMA 14-50 plug to attach to work EV charging station. It says it is compatible with the TurboCord.

https://www.evseadapters.com/product...adapter-20-ft/

I previously installed a NEMA 14-50 for my Model 3 and got this adapter for the T8:
      Lectron 20" Long NEMA 6-20R to 14-50P EV Power Adapter (220V-240V) - Flexible Charging for Your EV https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H5HKFMW/
      2019 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription | Denim Blue | Blond | Adv | Lux | B&W | 4-C Air
      2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | Blue | Black

Quote Originally Posted by PAWIKAN View Post
      Like another fellow poster, I also went a bit overkill and had a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed and got a Juicebox 40 for home charging. We have it installed in a position where my husband could potentially use it whenever he finally changes to EV. However, there are NEMA 14-50 outlets available at work and I can’t exactly take the Juicebox with me so I found an alternative solution that lets me use the TurboCord that came with the car to plug in at work, and it makes me wonder if the Juicebox was even necessary in the first place.

This is the extension with a female NEMA 6-20 (for 240V charging using the TurboCord) and a male NEMA 14-50 plug to attach to work EV charging station. It says it is compatible with the TurboCord.

https://www.evseadapters.com/product...adapter-20-ft/
      Thanks a lot for the links and good to know about that the adapter was purportedly designed or approved for the TurboDual. Has Aerovironment and/or Volvo approved it? Just curious.

One could view a NEMA 14-50 as overkill for current T8 models that maxes out at 16A on 240v. However, several of us justified and chose wiring for 40A-50A and EVSEs to future-proof and avoid re-wiring. The T8 on-board chargers will surely be upgraded as Volvo starts all-Electric production options. (e.g., reportedly starting with XC40s in latter part of MY2020).

Interestingly, I just ran another dedicated service for 20A 240v using the 6-20 for TurboDual since my utility recently started cycling / deactivating my off peak (Juicebox 40 Pro, NEMA 14-50) service between 7 am to 11 pm after 3 1/2 years.

Peak service seems to run 15 cents per kWh in MN (7 cents off-peak). Since I cannot charge at work during the day, this was a good solution. Who knows when if ever Time of Use pricing will ever come for EV/PHEV in MN. Hope springs eternal.

2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 3M Crystalline 50% Tint, 97% UV Rejection, 60% Solar Heat Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 02 Jul. 2020 | 46K miles | MPG 31.8 Lifetime including transcontinental trips, regional trips and towing

GUYS where can i find the corresponding information But for the XC40?
      XC90 MY20 B5 Inscription
      Onyx Black - Amber Nappa Ventilated Seats - BLIS - Volvo Guard Alarm - 4 C Active Suspension -Sport Pedals - Illuminated Tailgate Scuff Plate - Sports Heated Steering Wheel - HomeLink®, Interior rear view mirror with autodim and compass
      Packs: Light - Media & Sound - Park Assist - 360° - Winter - Xenium - Seat - Anti-Terror Window Films

Quote Originally Posted by Dilinger View Post
      GUYS where can i find the corresponding information But for the XC40?

The info is the same.

Thanks for all the info provided on this page (and forum) finally got 240 service to my garage and sure is nice being able to charge up the XC60 much quicker. I just had the electrician install a simple wall receptacle, no real need for a fancy unit as the rates dont seem to differ here in Maryland at different times. Install of the cable was $500,they did it at the same time of the Generator install, Seemed like a fair price.
      2019 XC 60 T8 Inscription Osmium Grey
      2017 Honda Africa Twin

Anyone know where I can buy this adapter only? The AeroVironment adapter that converts our T8 adapter plug to NEMA 6-20P for 220 volts...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sdedson View Post
      Anyone know where I can buy this adapter only? The AeroVironment adapter that converts our T8 adapter plug to NEMA 6-20P for 220 volts...

Thanks
      I don't know, but you could try Customer Service for EV Solutions at +1 (888) 833-2148 or [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      I don't know, but you could try Customer Service for EV Solutions at +1 (888) 833-2148 or [email protected].
      Thanks unfortunately they have yet to answer an email or return my call... Perhaps to small a part to be bothered with. If anyone is willing sell theirs please let me know.

I noticed a lot of posts here from Volvo owners using JuiceBox:

FYI - https://insideevs.com/news/393541/en...ox-ev-charger/

Awaiting Approval
      Quote Originally Posted by sdedson View Post
      I noticed a lot of posts here from Volvo owners using JuiceBox:

FYI - https://insideevs.com/news/393541/en...ox-ev-charger/
      The Grizzl-E charger seems like a good option, anyone using it?

https://www.grizzl-e.com/images/187y...eld-tested.jpg

Awaiting Approval

Interesting new charger

Check out this charger, very interesting at $399.00US.

Grizzl-e is the most Simple, Robust and Affordable EVSE with ability to charge at 40A / 10 kW, but also could be set to operate at 16A/24A/32A for situations when your electric panel does not have enough power for 50A breaker.

https://www.grizzl-e.com/products/grizzle/

Another one with multitude of settings and with integration with many third party systems https://www.openevse.com/stations.html.
      Been working well for me for past 6 months
      2019 XC90 T8 Inscription, Denim Blue, ~everything sans B&W

20. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8