V8 Valve Cover Gasket Replacement
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

V8 Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

I took off the engine covers and the moved the inner wheel well shroud on the passenger side to see where oil was seeping from. It's definitely the valve covers! It looks like a very involved job. The Intake Manifold will need to be removed (will need new gaskets once removed) amongst other things. The question I have is, while I am doing this what other parts should be replaced? Anyone that has done this, please let me know what to look out for!
      thx

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I saw a thread on here a while ago about someone asking about this since their mechanic quoted then a pretty high price and a long parts list. I'm sure somebody knows which thread I'm talking about. I tried to find it but Tapatalk isn't great at searching.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

thanks, I did a search and saw that one. Not much info!

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Hm? Valve cover gasket? I'm not sure what that would be... But then again, I'm not entirely sure of how the V8 is laid out. Is it like, err, the top metal cover on the top of an old B21/B230 etc, older redblock volvo?

Are you serious?

It's a pretty straightforward job, Volere. Seems like you understand what is involved.

I would suggest replacing the VVT solenoid seals on each valve cover while you have them off. Oil sometimes leaks from there too.

Things to look out for: the ground wires on the rear cylinder bank. The nut securing them to the stud tends to stick. I've found it easier to cut the wire, then repair it as opposed to fighting with those nuts (2) in that tight space back there.
      2007 S40 T5

Does anybody have a parts list for this? I looked underneath the plastic on ours and there's a lot of scuzzy stuff, if nothing else I'd like to start looking for future reference.
      -Zach
      '06 V50 T5 M66 FWD - Barents Blue - Viveka - 160,000mi
      Mods.
      '08 XC90 V8 Executive - Ember Black - Jet - 170,000mi
      No mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Volere View Post
      I took off the engine covers and the moved the inner wheel well shroud on the passenger side to see where oil was seeping from. It's definitely the valve covers! It looks like a very involved job. The Intake Manifold will need to be removed (will need new gaskets once removed) amongst other things. The question I have is, while I am doing this what other parts should be replaced? Anyone that has done this, please let me know what to look out for!
      thx
      Not exactly "quick reply" but its not a quick job I assume you've taken an inspection mirror and traced the oil leak all the way unto the gaskets? A clogged PCV though rare can cause higher crankcase pressure and force oil out of the VC gaskets as well as the crank seal ... For the VC gaskets, if you have basic tools and some experience this is a straightforward job, the key tool here though is patience as there is quite a bit of disassembly to actually replace the gaskets. Take photos of the assembled areas first for reference on re-assembly, as I'd recommend stretching this out over 2 days first disassembly day 2 new parts / reassembly The gaskets are inexpensive it's the labor which determines the high price at a dealership or indy as there's no getting around it. The intake manifold needs to come off so while you're there, replace the fuel pressure sensor ( PN 31272730) as you will have to sooner or later -

The nifty engine covers on the V8 looks nice, but trap a lot of heat so if you're due for gaskets by now, every hose, wire and plastic connection is going to be brittle. There is a PCV crankcase breather hose running from one bank to the other, this was very brittle I'd suggest you buy that as well-( volvo PN 30720098) since you'll have the coil packs out I'd also replace the spark plugs I'm an OEM guy when it comes to spark plugs on this engine since unless there is something very wrong combustion-wise the original NGK's (branded volvo) work just fine and come pre-gapped, but do check them before installing and remove them in order and take a photo of them for later reference if needed. The other component worth considering while you are doing this job is the power steering pump. If it's whining or otherwise making noises I'd replace it while you've got things apart and accessible. Also while you have the plenum off I'd replace the sure to be brittle PCV vale hoses and PCV valve. the last parts I 'd consider replacing are the accessory serpentine tensioner, rollers and belt since you'll have them released, ( releasing the tension load is a critical job and should be done with very very even incremental torque if you're not replacing the tensioner. All n all these part in total are not cheap compare to the 100 or so for just the gaskets but it will give you peace of mind on those long trips if you know it's been done there are lots of DIY's around for them as it's a straight -forward job for all. if you bite the bullet and replace all of the above it will be more than you're planning on but it's several thousand $'s of work at a dealership as most will need the intake plenum removed at a minimum and all are easy to do and will put many more miles on your engine. *These recommendations are predicated on not having maintenance records to document replacement and no knowledge of your milage if you have had these parts replaced already all the better.

As far as parts you'll need new upper and lower intake gaskets and the valve cover gaskets for the front and rear banks as the others have suggested get the solenoid seals as well I dint replace them but you may need them - here is a parts link with the diagram you can buy them anywhere FCP volvo webstore is good though -http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/products/Gasket/1111302/30720335.html

Here are a few process tips I found while doing my gaskets if you follow the chitons ( I bought a one month subscription - http://www.chiltondiy.com) as up to now I haven't needed to buy a VIDA disk 't's should give you all the picts and steps:
      Tighten bolts/nuts to specification as follows:
      Tighten valve cover mounting bolts to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm).
      Tighten ignition coil mounting bolts to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm).
      Tighten all bracket nuts to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm).
      Tighten intake manifold bolts to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm).

- I suggest only OEM gaskets not much more than aftermarket and the fit is best.
      - I replaced the crankcase breather hose between the heads as it was very brittle due to heat, I also replaced the hose from under the upper manifold to the PCV valve and new PCV valve it's easy to do this now and if the pct needs replacing this hose gets cracked and brittle as well and is a pita to get on without removing the upper manifold
      - Put a towel or masking tape over the intake ports as soon as the lower manifold is removed to prevent debris from entering leave it there until the manifold is back on, there will be some valves open enough for debris to get into the combustion chamber
      - I unclipped the injectors from the fuel rail and pulled it up using slow even pressure, leaving the injectors in to prevent tearing the more delicate lower o-rings then taking the upper o rings out of the rail and setting them aside. I lubed them with vaseline on the install and set the fuel rail on top of them then used even pressure to seat them they're in correctly when the fuel rail lines up with the bolt holes and sits flush with the manifold Be very very careful with the coil pack connectors as these wires are very small gauge and brittle from heat, this is where having a helper pull and hold the connectors back just enough to release so the cover will clear while you remove the cover is best

- The biggest pain is getting things clear to get the actual covers off. I lubed the black connectors with silicone spray so they would slide off, there is an audible "click" when they are removed and installed . The front cover is relatively easy, I used an inspection mirror to look at the bolts in the rear cover I too had a'welded" ground" cable I used an old thin 10mm wrench on the lower nut and a ratchet to unlock the top - Removing the cover over the rear cover coil connectors was a pain as well, the fuel line can be disconnected but I was able to pull the hoses out of the clips I broke a few and gently push the two metal fuel pipes back far enough. A second person to hold the harness and fuel pipes while you lift and move the cover off/on is best.

- The valve cover bolts have a rubber grommet and top brass washer - these are separate- remove the washer before removing the cover as they can can come loose if so have a long magnetic retrieval tool handy Same with the install remove the washers and slide them on the cover bolts after you install the gasket. The gasket is designed to cover a small portion of the head surface I installed the gasket into the covers on the bench using some light vaseline to hold it in the OEM fit was good so this might not have been necessary On the rear bank make sure to go around the back side with the inspection mirror to ensure the gasket didn't reposition when it is installed. You don't want to have a leak after all this work!
      - I used a normal criss-cross torquing pattern to ensure even application of the gasket after I snugged the bolts all around.
      - I use styrofoam soup bowls to hold parts they're easy to label with the part and # of nuts bolts as you remove things

peter
      Last edited by peterz123; 02-07-2016 at 10:43 AM.

Peter, you are my hero - how many miles/how old was your ride you did the job?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      -Zach
      Mods.
      No mods.

Quote Originally Posted by TurbineWagon View Post
      Peter, you are my hero - how many miles/how old was your ride you did the job?

I don't actually recall the miles, I think about 88-90k on a 2008- they weren't leaking but since It it's a maint item I just did the job as a preventative step and to dig into the engine a bit on a slow weekend to learn more about it and check the wear. ( if maintained these are pretty bullet proof if you have the lugs out one thing you might also do is a compression check to see where your are vis a vis factory and gauge engine wear) and as my wife was driving it a lot out of state on kayak trips

Roger, we're at 125k so I'm sure it's all super crispy.

-Zach
      Mods.
      No mods.

Much appreciate the detailed follow up Peter! I will take a look at the PCV situation first. i bought the car with 72k last fall, i did not notice any oil leaks then. I've done two oil changes with Castrol 0w40 full synthetic. I'm thinking the previous owner did not use full synthetic maybe just maybe the new oil has something to do with it.

I have heard on older vehicles that switching from conventional to synthetic oil can cause leaks but I have nothing to validate that statement. Had seen it posted before.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thinner oil will leak where thicker oil may not have.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

Incidentally, I just finished replacing my valve cover gaskets along with a power steering pump. I followed Peter's advice on about everything and the job went very well. I ran into a few issues like the broken ground wires on rear cover but that was easy enough to fix like Peter alluded to. I sent my injectors to a local shop for cleaning and the ultrasonic machine ruined my pintle caps,,,, as in dissolved them. I had a heck of a time finding new ones. V8 has hard to find caps but was able to source a kit thru Mr. Injector. No leaks and runs great. Pretty much what Peter said is all spot on. I have some pictures I took as I went along if I could get time to put together a walk thru. Will try to work on that.
      Robert

Quote Originally Posted by robrike View Post
      Incidentally, I just finished replacing my valve cover gaskets along with a power steering pump. I followed Peter's advice on about everything and the job went very well. I ran into a few issues like the broken ground wires on rear cover but that was easy enough to fix like Peter alluded to. I sent my injectors to a local shop for cleaning and the ultrasonic machine ruined my pintle caps,,,, as in dissolved them. I had a heck of a time finding new ones. V8 has hard to find caps but was able to source a kit thru Mr. Injector. No leaks and runs great. Pretty much what Peter said is all spot on. I have some pictures I took as I went along if I could get time to put together a walk thru. Will try to work on that.
      Robert

Please do. I finally have to do mine. Oil is leaking onto the front manifold and the smell is bothering the wife. Just enough to be annoying.

Do you have to drain the coolant? I have done some where you can swing the intake to the side without having to drain fuel or coolant. Photos would be so helpful.

You will have to drain the coolant. I just pulled the lower radiator hose and let it drain enough to get below the throttle body/manifold connections. I replaced it with a 50/50 of Zerex G05 coolant and distilled water. I took a super long amount of time due to parts ordering and semi destroying my fuel injectors. The pintle caps anyway. I sent mine out to be cleaned. If it were me, since the injectors will get pulled from either the fuel rail or the lower manifold or both, I would get the replacement o ring kits for each injector. I am working all night tonight but will try to get a walk thru going tomorrow if I can. I have the Vida disc and dice so if you need part numbers I might be able to get that on there too.
      Mine suddenly got to the point that I could see a haze of smoke at night. Mine was a combo of valve covers, sensor seals on covers and a failing power steering pump all sending oil down the valley and dripping out the weep hole where a rear main seal leak would show.

Talk to you soon

Robert

I'm going to have the indie shop deal with it. There are too many things that need to be done to this car, so the Volvo guru is gonna take care of it.

Valve cover gaskets
      Fuel pressure sensor
      possible PS pump while she's open
      front suspension...ball joints, struts, etc..
      Differential and haldex service
      Sporadic CEL with an evap code

It's just money, right?

Huh? Replacing the power steering pump? Valve cover gaskets? Are Fuel pressure sensor? All are of these things maintenance items? Or are you having issues with the cars?
      "The top-end T8's are like 'dictator opulent'. It screams 'drive me through the Kremlin in a military parade with some ICBMs on trucks'" - TheVolvo
      "Just change all 4 tires at the same time when needed and it feels always like a flying carpet"
      "Car was dusty and dirty yet he cleaned it without using any water. It scared me and I am afraid of nothing"
      "XC70 FWD is like a beer with 0% Alc. Wtf, realy wtf."
      " I am sure I will buy a mainstream car with great mileage and a plug-in instead of a but-plug 🖤"
      - CrossingCountries

Quote Originally Posted by Schmoyoho View Post
      Huh? Replacing the power steering pump? Valve cover gaskets? Are Fuel pressure sensor? All are of these things maintenance items? Or are you having issues with the cars?
      The power steering pump has been making noise for a long time. The fuel pressure sensor is a known issue + $30 part so I don't see why not while the intake is off. The valve cover gaskets are leaking oil onto the front manifold so they have to be replaced. The car has 150,000 miles on it so might as well take care of a few things while she's open.

I'm seeing a little oil seeping from the passenger side of the rear bank gasket, pretty minor but am already in the process of ordering parts to do a full-on replacement for both banks. New FPS, new PCV with hoses and a butt-load of other small parts so I don't have to go back in there for another 100k miles. Will get this out of the way with a new serp belt, tensioner, and rollers plus a few engine mounts to refresh in the next couple of months for my 100,000 mile "investment".

I liken it to the ~90k full PCV service I did for the 2.5T. Figure it's a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Absolutely needed? Nope, I could certainly wait until something breaks or leaks more badly. But I won't....
      Last edited by ggleavitt; 03-01-2016 at 09:02 PM. Reason: typo
      2005 XC90 B5254T2 019 198k
      2008 XC90 B8444S Sport 452 127k

I would do the power steering pump while you have it all apart. Seems to be a fairly common 100K plus failure part. Just replaced mine.
      2007 S80 V8 Pearl White & 2008 XC90 Sport in Passion Red
      1998 Jeep TJ I6 with 160,000 miles
      2004 Volvo S80 2.5T with 240,000 miles
      2000 Volvo S40 with 240,000km gone, long story
      2004 Volvo XC90 T6 Tranny replaced at 70,000 & unloaded it at 105,000

Shop said over 2k for valve cover gaskets and PS pump. Not worth it at this point with 150 and we don't plan on keeping it that much longer. Shop suggested switching form 0w40 to 5w40 oil and that would buy some time. I'm having them get the front suspension in order and try and get the ccm right so the darn ac works...starting to get hot.

Then shop said that when we get another XC, bring to him for inspection before buying. He said the 3.2 is not bad, but the V8 is the best engine for that platform.

Quick question - do I need to order two of 30720335 (lower intake manifold gasket) or is it a set of two? I can't tell from any photos.
      -Zach
      Mods.
      No mods.

Quote Originally Posted by TurbineWagon View Post
      Quick question - do I need to order two of 30720335 (lower intake manifold gasket) or is it a set of two? I can't tell from any photos.
      Need 2 of them. I'm in the process of getting all the parts myself from Lisle and asked the same question. At $42.87 each, was hoping 2 came in the PN item, they checked and told me 1 per PN.

Okay, and it is the same PN for both, correct? That's what a I am seeing at least, just order two of them.

Sent from FL410.
      -Zach
      Mods.
      No mods.

That's what I ordered per the response from the parts manager. I explicitly asked this same question. If someone else can suggest this is incorrect, please chime in before my parts ship.

Thanks

I'll be ordering the same! Thank you for the input.

Sent from FL410.
      -Zach
      Mods.
      No mods.

The $2K price actually seems pretty reasonable. I just spent close to $4K on the power steering pump, power steering hose, serpentine, tensioner, rollers, fan and a few other things on our S80 V8. I at the very least have a front and rear valve cover leak and possibly the rear main seal as well. I had to go to the local dealer as I have yet to find a local Indie that is comfortable/knowledgeable with working on the V8. Dealer's mechanic was very knowledgeable with the V8, but showed no real interest in even attempting to replace my valve cover gaskets, the book labor alone is rather pricey.

On a side note our S80 was having AC issues as well. He attributed it to a failing cooling fan. I was rather skeptical, but had him replace it anyway. He was right, AC is now working properly.

I love the Volvo V8 and own two of them. Problem is if you look and ask around, the power steering pump, alternator, power steering hose, valve cover gaskets and rear main seals can be regularly problematic after 100K plus miles. They are also very expensive to fix, as is anything that involves getting into and/or around the V8.
      Last edited by hunterphfr; 03-19-2016 at 10:33 AM.
      2007 S80 V8 Pearl White & 2008 XC90 Sport in Passion Red
      1998 Jeep TJ I6 with 160,000 miles
      2004 Volvo S80 2.5T with 240,000 miles
      2000 Volvo S40 with 240,000km gone, long story
      2004 Volvo XC90 T6 Tranny replaced at 70,000 & unloaded it at 105,000

if you have a decent set of tools, some mechanical experience and a decent amount of patience, working on this V8 down to anything aside from head or tranny removal (which requires special factory tools ) is really not that difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by peterz123 View Post
      if you have a decent set of tools, some mechanical experience and a decent amount of patience, working on this V8 down to anything aside from head or tranny removal (which requires special factory tools ) is really not that difficult.
      True. Just time and skinned knuckles. And lots of profanity.

Time, skinned knuckles and profanity? Isn't that why we're all here to begin with?

If you didn't bleed a little doing a job, how can you be sure you did it right?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestMoose View Post
      Time, skinned knuckles and profanity? Isn't that why we're all here to begin with?

If you didn't bleed a little doing a job, how can you be sure you did it right?
      And I really enjoy burning my knuckles on a nice hot manifold.

Put together a parts list for what I'm going to be doing, I always order some if not all new screws as it's cheap enough to put new in and insurance in case I screw something up (drop or get lost). And got oil cap o-ring plus oil cap base sealing ring just to have it out of the way.

QTY PN Item
      1- 925063- O-ring, Oil Cap
      5- 953039- Stud
      9- 985183- Screw 6x30
      10- 985919- Nut
      1- 988119- O-ring, PS Pump
      1- 999274- Screw 6x20
      8- 999275- Screw 8x25
      2- 999277- Screw 8x110
      1- 30720095- Valve Cover Gasket Rear
      1- 30720096- Valve Cover Gasket Front
      4- 30720097- VVT Solenoid O-ring
      1- 30720098- PCV Hose
      1- 30720100- PCV Valve
      1- 30720101- PCV Hose
      1- 30720327- Inlet Manifold Upper Gasket Right
      1- 30720328- Inlet Manifold Upper Gasket Left
      2- 30720335- Inlet Manifold Gasket
      8- 30731386- Injector O-ring Kit
      14- 30741326- Sealing Plug
      1- 31272732- Fuel Pressure Sensor

I'll be doing mine with new serp belt plus idlers plus tensioner plus new hardware. PS pump replaced by previous owner so not doing that. New plugs as well while I'm there (could never get full confirmation this was done, bought at 92k miles, will do them myself just to be sure).

Price out the door from LisleParts was under $500 before shipping. That's as of 3/20/16.

If someone wanted to add or edit or remove from this list, would be no problem to me.

I'll see what's left over once I'm done (or what I missed).
      Last edited by ggleavitt; 05-15-2016 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Add sealing plug

ggleavitt, any updates the parts list above?

Getting ready to make a similar order for my 100k mi V8.

If you can confirm accuracy, that post right there is internet gold!
      FOR SALE - 2014 XC60 T6 - P* Tune, K-Pax Exhaust, DO88 FMIC, Ferrita DP, Snabb Intake & Turbo Pipe, TSW Bathurst w/ Conti DWS06, R-Design Suspension, IPD Rear Sway, Morimoto D2S 4.0 HID Projectors, Powerflex Bushings, Colder NGK Plugs
      SOLD - 2007 XC90 V8 Sport - IPD Sways/Subframe Inserts/Strut Bar Conversion, Stoptech Rotors

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast