Audio Upgrade - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Audio Upgrade

Saw that box preloaded on crutchfield. Did not see the amp though.
      2015.5 xc60 T5 AWD current
      2012 C30 R-Design previous

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I pulled the trigger on the pioneer box & sub. jet.com had it for $89 after taxes and 15% off and i couldn't resist. I still need to buy the amp. I'm sure it will sound much better than the Sound Ordnance sub i had tried previously.
      2015 XC60 RD | eibach springs | snabb intake | TDI tune | Niche 21x10 wheels

You're really making these easy for us. Please update with pics and thoughts once you have it.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

updated with my possible subwoofer list with another unit that popped up from pioneer that will most likely fit, but will require some light modification.

So you're looking at the 10 inch instead of the 8?

Quote Originally Posted by Darqhelmet View Post
      So you're looking at the 10 inch instead of the 8?
      i'm still going with the 8in as it was already ordered. I also am trying not to do any modification to the car. I want a direct drop in. I think the 10" will fit if you cut the foam strut on of the grocery panel cover (false floor panel) like mark-sf did in his build.

my current dilemma is deciding on two affordable compact amp choices:

Alpine KTP-190U
      Class D amp
      90w RMS @ 1ohm
      high level inputs should work great as I've had no issues with my KTP-445u
      10 amp max current draw
      reputable brand
      less controls over sound, low pass lowest setting is 80Hz

OR

BOSS AR1500M
      It's rated at 563w at 4 ohm, but I know its BS. Realistic output is probably more like 200-250w RMS.
      I like this amp because it potentially has more power and great reviews, but it's a off brand.
      High level inputs do no support auto turn on, so I will have to rely on switched 12v. (not the end of the world, but keep in mind the switched 12v gets turned off when the car shuts off. The radio keeps playing until door is opened).
      30 amp max current draw
      tons of controls and bass boost if needed

I was looking at some fosgate amps that have better low pass settings and high level inputs. I need to see about the high level input turn on. I would like to have a drop in with out any mods to the false floor too.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/p300-10

Almost thinking about being lazy and going with something like this. Granted I am waiting for your results.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/p300-10

Almost thinking about being lazy and going with something like this. Granted I am waiting for your results.
      i thought about going this route with a bazooka bass tube (almost purchased one but sonic wouldn't PM with frys). what i like about the bass tubes is that they have a quick connect connector so it's very easy to remove when needed and you don't have to worry about the power wires dangling there when it's removed. The sub should be here next week, but i still don't know what i'm going to do about the amp situation. I have a few old school rockford and kenwood amps (late 90's, the good stuff) that i'll do some bench testing with to see how many watts i can get away with. I'm now in between the Alpine KTP-190u (90w @ 1ohm, with a 10 amp fuse) and the MRV-M250 (150w @ 4 ohm with a 30 amp fuse). I think the MRV-M250 will be just fine if i pull power from the rear hatch area fuse box as almost everything in that fusebox is 30amp, if anything i could throw in a smaller 25 amp fuse just in case. I personally would not go with rockford because mark-sf already confirmed that the auto turn on will not work. I've had good luck with the alpine-ktp445 thats currently installed in my car. No issues with the auto turn on, so thus why i'm sticking with alpine. I think the oem amp is alpine as well in case that has anything to do with it.
      Last edited by bhom920; 03-04-2016 at 07:40 PM.

I have an unfused 40 amp spot in my xc60 in that rear block. Look for F11 under the two larger fuses. I checked and I have lines run and bladed in the box.

Fuse number 11

I had some time tonight to prep the SOT-045 harness for subwoofer signal. Good thing that i kept the "extra" connectors that i cut off for the parrot system. They came in handy to build some quick disconnect harnesses for the sub woofer signal cable.

after some hack saw action

Subwoofer amp signal wire. I used a 8 conductor 22awg cable for this (some amps like the Alpine MRV-M250 utilize front and rear channel high level inputs)
      Last edited by bhom920; 03-04-2016 at 09:52 PM.

after going back on forth about my amp decision, i finally ended up buying a Alpine MPV-M250. It's a class D amp with a pretty nice range of LP crossover and bass boost. I also like that i can add a remote bass knob if need be. I'm also certain that the high level turn on will work perfectly with the factory amp. Price wasn't bad either. $107 on amazon.

Nice. I am still waiting for a buddy to weigh in on my car. He builds SEMA cars so keeping it simple is my challenge. I am using you and mark-sf as guides for him.

Quote Originally Posted by bhom920 View Post
      I'm also certain that the high level turn on will work perfectly with the factory amp.
      Be advised that this is not likely as the Alpine doc claim it works on outputs from amp speakers only, which has in my experience meant that it is looking for a DC voltage running on the speaker output. This sensing method which (was the same used on the Fosgate Punch) will not work on the Volvo amp. The lack of a sensitivity control also indicates this is the method as one is required for music sensing remote turn-on systems.
      2011.5 XC60 3.2L Flamenco Red/Anthracite Black, Premium, Multimedia, Convenience, BLIS, Xenon + Custom Subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by mark-sf View Post
      Be advised that this is not likely as the Alpine doc claim it works on outputs from amp speakers only, which has in my experience meant that it is looking for a DC voltage running on the speaker output. This sensing method which (was the same used on the Fosgate Punch) will not work on the Volvo amp. The lack of a sensitivity control also indicates this is the method as one is required for music sensing remote turn-on systems.
      I already have a alpine 4 channel amp installed and it is currently working perfectly with the auto sensing high level inputs, however i also had a sound ordnance amp with high level auto turn on and that did not work. I can only assume the auto turn on circuitry is similar on all alpine amps so with, but i'll find out later this week when the amp arrives.
      Last edited by bhom920; 03-08-2016 at 08:37 AM.

Ok, so good news! Parts arrived. I have successfully installed the subwoofer about 95% complete, which means the box fits (i can definitely fit a second one)! Also, one of the more important things, the high level auto turn on is compatible with our factory amp! I also did some brief testing, but it was getting late to really blast any music. From what i've heard so far, i can say the subwoofer was a success. I have my crossover set to about 70hz to match my speakers, gain 1 click from "normal", bass boost off, and can now hear all sorts of low end that i did not have before. The bass is low, but nothing that's going to shake the car next to you. (i'll try to take a video tomorrow) Overall it is a huge improvement over the Sound ordnance B-8PTD slim powered subwoofer i had installed previously and i'm very happy with the fact that it's a drop in system that took no modification. Now onto the pictures!

The goods! Not pictured is the poly fill. I originally stuffed the box with about 2.5oz of that stuff and took a little bit out because you don't want to compact it into the box. It should be fluffy.

I'm sure all xc60's have these studs. There are 3 of them which you have to manuever around or you can dremel them off. I decided to leave them as they do not interfere with my subwoofer location, but i did move the key sense back to the recessed area right above it in the picture.

I decided to stick with not modifying any part of the car so i copied mark-sf's idea and used some velcro on the legs and installed a L bracket to utilize the pre drilled hole on the seat bracket.

Here is a picture of the 90 degree bracket bolted to the seat bracket

Here is the install. I still need a more permanent location for the amp. I ran out of time tonight as i only have a few hours for my projects after my daughter goes to bed everynight.

Whats left? I need to find a more permanent amp location/mounting mechanism as it's currently velcro'd to sound deadning and will probably cut up the organizer tray.
      Last edited by bhom920; 03-10-2016 at 08:24 AM.

Fuse number 11
      I was using fuse #4 for my old sound ordnance subwoofer with a 15 amp fuse and 12 gauge wire. I ended up reusing the same location and fuse size for protection. My amp has a 30 amp fuse, but from i've read using a smaller fuse won't starve my amp for power, it will just blow when it pulls too much. If i have a problem in the future i will try #11, but i already had a nice cable setup with a male spade connector. To use fuse 11 it looks like you may have to use a female spade connector, which also makes me wonder what the fuse looks like as i've never seen a fuse like that.

Also here is a handy chart to help determine power wire gauge

Last edited by bhom920; 03-09-2016 at 09:32 PM.

Love it! So I am going to be ordering some parts this weekend!

Love it! So I am going to be ordering some parts this weekend!
      nice, did you decide which amp your going to go with? Are you going for the same pioneer sub setup or maybe one of the other possible solutions?

I am thinking about a slim 10 and fosgate amp. Once I hit order I will post what I got.

"The BRT also has a variable hi-level DC offset turn-on circuit for easy installation into any OEM system."

That's the note I have found on the punch amps I am looking at. Anyone know if this will work with our car?

"The BRT also has a variable hi-level DC offset turn-on circuit for easy installation into any OEM system."

That's the note I have found on the punch amps I am looking at. Anyone know if this will work with our car?
      check out mark-sf's thread. isn't that the same amp he has?

Also i'm on the fence about buying a Alpine SBR-S8-4 subwoofer now. I'm thinking even more low end bass. It's becoming an addiction. Anyone want to buy a pioneer slim sub? I took the measurements and even flipped my pioneer subwoofer long wise to see if it would fit and it will fit (11 3/4" depth longwise), but will bulge the floor slightly up (maybe 1/8" of an inch) due to the strut that will now sit on the box which i could live with. The hit or miss part is where the subwoofer itself sits. If it fits behind the strut that i'm set because the suwboofer + grill only adds about an inch. The strut is 1 1/8" thick.
      Last edited by bhom920; 03-16-2016 at 12:05 PM.

This is getting expensive for me. I have gone back and forth so many times on ordering. I am split between alpine Amps that I know work, thanks to your install. Or fosgate amps for a bit more with a bit more power. Plus I am trying to get a ten in the space we have under the floor. So a bit more on the sub no matter what.

I know what you mean with the amps. Maybe check out the mrv-m500? My mrv-m250 has been just fine on the 15 amp fuse, so maybe the mrv-m500 with it's dual 30's will be fine on a 40a ciruit (just protect it with a 40 amp fuse) Also just curious what kind of 10 do you plan on using? Is the alpine SBR-s8-4 an option for you? i hear that i hits very low for an 8". I would have went with this first if i had known that there was even the slightest chance of it to fit. I did confirm tho that the pioneer 10" slim that i listed earlier will not fit without strut modification. as it's 5 7/8" tall compared to the 8" pioneer and the alpine sub at 5.5" tall.

I am thinking about a slim fosgate and just building a box for it, then filling the box with poly to help the sub out. If not I am doing the 8 you have x2 and hoping for the best.

I am thinking about a slim fosgate and just building a box for it, then filling the box with poly to help the sub out. If not I am doing the 8 you have x2 and hoping for the best.
      look into maybe using the earthquake slim 8 and building appropriate sized box. http://www.amazon.com/Earthquake-Sou.../dp/B003R5NS9U

Fosgate R165-S are also on the table for the doors. Which is a cheaper way to go compared to the JBL's. But I don't know if it will make a difference in the end.

I will take a look at the sub now.

Fosgate R165-S are also on the table for the doors. Which is a cheaper way to go compared to the JBL's. But I don't know if it will make a difference in the end.

I will take a look at the sub now.
      those fosgates are rated for 4ohm btw. are you planning to run a 4 ch amp? if not stick with something 2 ohm and high sensitivity.

Sorry wrong speakers. I am confusing myself at this point.
      P165-SI all doors
      Mvr-f300 amp for doors

Mvr-250 amp for sub
      Sub - ???

I would like to run fosgate amps, just not sure if they will turn on. I know the alpines will.

Sorry wrong speakers. I am confusing myself at this point.
      P165-SI all doors
      Mvr-f300 amp for doors

Mvr-250 amp for sub
      Sub - ???

I would like to run fosgate amps, just not sure if they will turn on. I know the alpines will.
      looks good, I see your really rooting for Rockford lol. I used to love their old school punch amps, just not familiar with the new stuff.

you can also get the navone module to turn the amps on

Just a suggestion, the Polk db6501 components were on my short list when I was looking for components. I think that speaker has been around for almost 10 years without any design changes so that must mean something. The MM6501 are also something to look at but a lot more pricey.

Haha yeah, I have always had good luck with fosgate stuff. Plus I like the prices they have.

Saw the polks, but I have never heard them.

It's in the planning stage right now. Granted I have about 20 things in my Amazon cart...

I have the premium amp which if it is the same as yours will not turn on the Fosgate. You can check if you have the adapter harness by unplugging the speakers only and measuring the voltage between the pos and neg for DC on a speaker output.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      2011.5 XC60 3.2L Flamenco Red/Anthracite Black, Premium, Multimedia, Convenience, BLIS, Xenon + Custom Subwoofer

ordered the alpine SBR-s8-4 from sonic today, they had a $18 coupon and a nice return policy that enticed me to buy it and try it out.

Nice. Can't wait to hear your feed back.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast