SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

New tires...again

5K views 37 replies 20 participants last post by  Triniguy2 
#1 ·
Need a recommendation. Burned through my nankangs in one year...19k miles in nj ...tires were trash in the snow anyway.my suspension and alignment are not the issue.

Whats a good all season replacement for great snow traction and treadwear/durability?
07 volvo xc90 v8...18 inch wheels

#2 ·
I previously had the Nitto ntq421 tires. They lasted about 44k (could have gone more but one ran out of round). They handled really well on the highway and in rain. They were not awesome in the snow but acceptable. Now I have a set of Toyo CUV. The tire is a much harder compound (you can feel the road on the highway) but still handle well and are really good in the snow surprisingly. No sense on mileage yet. I have about 18k on them currently. I am also running a wider 255 over the stock 235.

#3 · (Edited)
Been running Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza (now Alenza Plus) for around 6 years now on my '05 with 17s. 3rd set. No complaints although there are certainly more expensive and probably better handling tires out there. Reasonable mid-range tire, really can't say anything negative about them. Had a few other brands on over the years (Michelin, Yokohama), this tire is fine if you can get it on special. Costco offers periodic reductions off their usual low price, can use this as a baseline at your tire shop of choice if they do price match.

Won't be putting them on my '08 Sport (came with new Scorpion Zero, will be looking for something else when it's time, for better handling) but for the '05 these offer more than satisfactory handling year round.

Just an opinion...

#8 ·
I concur. We've eaten tons of tires on the xc-90 and our roads and heat. But these Verdes are game changers. Highly recommend for this vehicle.

#9 ·
Last set of Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia 235/60R/18 got 50,000 miles. Could have gone few thousand more miles, very happy with tires. Purchased another set in September 2015.

#13 ·
Glad to hear how long those Bridgestone H/L's last. The continentals that came on this from the factory were pretty bad. By 25,000 miles, the tires, even with frequent rotation, were getting close to showing the wear bar. I got rid of them before the bar showed due to inclement weather season coming.

#15 ·
I put another set of Nokian WR SUV - I have been very pleased with these tires (tyres) over the years, and the new G3 version is much improved for ride, handling, and strearing response.

#17 ·
Its time for me to get new tires for the wife's R Design. Were still on the Pirelli that came on it and are at 30k and for sure need replaced. The Pirelli's are so noisy. Since the wife is not out speeding around an taking corners like a race car I am considering going with a lower speed rated tire and something with much higher mileage life. I am more concerned with keeping the load rating the same since these XC90's weigh so much. I have considered Michelin Premier LTX and the Michelin Defender which is more of a light truck tire which may be overkill.

#19 ·
ggleavitt earlier said Bridgestone Desert Duelers. I had a set on my Toyota 4x4 back in the day that had true highway mileage on them to the tune of 113K+ before I replaced them, only because of cracking and I had a heavy foot on off ramps. I love my Bridgestones and would have to think VERY hard to go to another tire. I called a distributor to try and get another set, and he said they'd been discontinued. Shocker. "Why do you want this particular model so badly?" he asked me. When I told him, there was a long pause..."Come again? Did you say 113K? I think you need to call Bridgestone and tell them. Maybe they'll give you a break on the next set!" I've had Michelins and liked them too, but these tires seem to clean up very well, and wear well, plus give good hold in all types of DC area weather.

#21 ·
Tires on my '05 are regular Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus, for SUV and light duty pickup. Will probably replace with same once the current set wears out, get a pretty good deal on them when I go for price match and they seem to drive pretty well. Lots of good tires out there, for me this one fits price and performance for the application ('05 is our around town and ski hauler car).

As I noted the other day though, alignment is key to getting decent mileage out of tires. Between preventing excessive tire wear and with doing work on my own for the majority of issue with my cars, a "lifetime alignment" deal has paid for itself at least two-fold over the years with the '05, and will be at breakeven on the '08 in another alignment.

#22 ·
One the best suited all season tires for the xc90 in my opinion is the Firestone Destination ST. Currently have a set in 255 55 18. Previously had a set in 235 60 18. Both sets were great with good traction in all weather including snow. Also the treadwear is great and the tires are quiet.

#25 · (Edited)
New kid on the block ... The KUMHO ECSTA 4X II.

Direct competitor to the Conti DWS06.

Surprised at how affordable this tire is. At nearly half the price of the DWS06, it is definitely under consideration.
The KUMHO brand is pretty good for the money. I had good luck with a set on my 850R some years back.

So, I had hankook DynaPro ATMs installed last august. This week I am hitting 20k on them. They are quiet, handle really well on the highways and this thin is not a tank in the snow. Here's a 20k mile shot at the tread...
They look pretty aggressive and quiet is defiantly a plus. I do not want noisy for sure. They look good for having 20k.

#26 ·
Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus

(190)

| Reviews (170)

Consumer Recommended

Tire Rack Tested

Click to Compare

PIRELLI
SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS
Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season

Size: 235/60R18 107V XL
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Low Rolling Resistance: EcoImpact
UTQG: 740 A A

Qty:

Per Tire:

$139.82

Special

Availability: In Stock

How soon can I get this?

See Shipping Cost

Set of 4: $559.28

Free Road Hazard Protection

#30 ·
We have the Firestone destination on the summer rims and ickelin xIce3 on the winter rims. The xIce wore better in the Colorado summer than the factory Pirellis. The car has 134,000 on it. Here are the miles we got
21,986 Pirelli from factory - PO replaced them. We bought car with 23k miles
21,631 Pirelli set #2. Replaced when one could say they were dangerously low 2/32 probably.
35,523 xIce set #1
25,961 xIce set #2 replaced because of screw in one tire and new ones were in the house waiting It was a hot august day when we got the screw too close to sidewall 5/32, put new ones on.
17,909 Destination - Still plenty of tread on tires. They are in the garage on a shelf waiting for the end of April.

I am pleased with the xIce and the Destination. More important, she who must be obeyed is pleased! YMMV, YWMWD (your wife may want different)

#31 ·
XC 60 advice for tough conditions: dirt roads, MN woods & long highway drives

I'm considering getting one of the about to be released xc 60s and I'd love advice from the experts! I live in the woods in Northern Minnesota and also do a huge amount of general midwest highway and city expressway driving, so basically I'm dealing with all conditions - 7 miles of dirt roads to our house, snow, ice, need for quick highway and city acceleration. I have been driving Subaru Foresters and a Honda pilot for years. I disliked the mushy Honda feel and like the Subaru firm road feel, which is almost like the old European Mercedes (my favorite car of all time. My hesitation about the Volvo (I have driven a new XC90) is that it feels a little too cushy). What can I do with tires, sway bars, etc, in addition to the variable suspension system?

What do you all recommend for tires? I like more road feel, need safety on dirt roads, snow and mud? 19" wheels? Thanks for any suggestions!

#32 ·
I purchased Vredestein 4 Xtreme XL extra load winter 2 years ago and still very good 4 mm after 2 seasons and aprox. 34000 km in winter time as we have a law in Europe winter tire and summer tires rules.
For xc90 recommended. Snow was small this year but r
traction on wet is perfect.

Volvo for Life Lexus Forever

#35 ·
I think I am going with Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus from Costco. I looked at the Michelin Defenders and they would be a little much for our use. I though about how much the wife drives anymore which is not much since she works from home most of the time.

#36 · (Edited)
I ended up waiting to purchase my tires for a few weeks after talking a guy at the tire center and he informed me the Bridgestone's will be on special starting the13th. I purchased the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus from Costco yesterday. They have $70 OFF a set of Bridgestone and free installation for Executive members. Sale is good until the 24th for anyone who might be interested.

#37 ·
Good deal, but big money!
I ended up waiting to purchase my tires for a few weeks after talking a guy at the tire center and he informed me he Bridgestone's will be on special starting the13th. I purchased the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus from Costco yesterday. They have $70 OFF a set of Bridgestone and free installation for Executive members. Sale is good until the 24th for anyone who might be interested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.