My Conversation with Russ Rader at the IIHS on Third Row Safety
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

My Conversation with Russ Rader at the IIHS on Third Row Safety

I had a little conversation with Russ Rader at the IIHS. It was nice of him to talk to a peasant like me, but I thought the conversation was interesting.

To Russ Rader from me;

"Does the IIHS actually crash test the rear end of a vehicle to determine the safety of of the third row in three row vehicles? I'm having trouble finding any evidence of this kind of testing by the IIHS."

From Russ Rader;

"IIHS does not test for 3rd row seat safety. We have looked at this periodically. The data do not show that there is a significant safety problem in the 3rd row. High-speed rear-end crashes, those fast enough to cause harm, are relatively rare compared with other crash scenarios. We are continuing to monitor the data as 3-row vehicles become a bigger part of the vehicle population.

Thank you for the question and thank you for your interest in our work."

My response to Russ Rader;

"Thanks Russ. We're having a lively discussion over at the SwedeSpeed Forum about 3rd row safety, and how minivans stack up against the new XC90. Volvo has a great video of a new XC90 crash test showing third row safety. It's very impressive. Volvo doesn't wait for you guys to surprise them with new crash tests, like other car brands. Reference the small overlap crash test. :-D"

Russ Rader's next response to me;

"I'll have to take a look at the video. You're right, Volvo doesn't wait around."

I then sent him a link to the new XC90 rear end crash test.

Last edited by Tostik; 02-25-2016 at 01:55 AM.
      2006 2.5T AWD XC90 / 2015.5 XC60 T5 (5 cyl) AWD, Platinum, Blis & Climate Package, 20 inch Pirellis, wood inlays with blonde interior (stunning), Flamenco Red (exterior)

"Predictions are really hard, especially about the future." -- Yogi Berra

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Again, Volvo is way ahead of the safety game.

No other company has that true commitment for the well being of their owners.

Other companies are using touting safety, like Subaru, but are they even close to Volvo...No Way!
      '83 242 Burgundy w/B230FT, '06 V50 Barents T5 AWD, '10 S40 Ice White T5 AWD,
      '12 C30 Ice White T5 R Design w/Polestar, and '13 C30 Rebel LE #189/250
      ALL MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS

Manual Volvos for Life

Quote Originally Posted by itoredmond View Post

Other companies are using touting safety, like Subaru, but are they even close to Volvo...No Way!
      I couldn't find a rear end crash test that tested third row safety, not just from the IIHS, but neither from NCAP nor NHTSA, or from any other car brand. Only Volvo tests for third row safety.
      2006 2.5T AWD XC90 / 2015.5 XC60 T5 (5 cyl) AWD, Platinum, Blis & Climate Package, 20 inch Pirellis, wood inlays with blonde interior (stunning), Flamenco Red (exterior)

"Predictions are really hard, especially about the future." -- Yogi Berra

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by itoredmond View Post

Then why doesn't Volvo put Latch anchors in the 3rd row (as Audi does in the otherwise grotesque Q7)?
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD - BSR ECU upgrade, ViVA strut bar conversion, IPD sway bars/end links/subframe bushing inserts, OE 336mm front rotors, Nokian WRG3. 190k miles and counting
      2011 Sienna AWD - wife + 3 kids (incl. twins). 120k miles and counting (down)
      XC Coupe TE - waiting patiently (and expecting a very long wait)

Because anchors are NOT SAFER than seat belt based points. They are just more CONVENIENT and easy to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by rfkuehn View Post
      Then why doesn't Volvo put Latch anchors in the 3rd row (as Audi does in the otherwise grotesque Q7)?
      Why would you put a child seat in the third row?

Accessibility issues in case of an emergency, general loading and unloading, are probably a couple of reasons why Volvo thought of leaving out the LATCH in the rear seats.

Audi doesn't care...it just looks good to the general public.
      '83 242 Burgundy w/B230FT, '06 V50 Barents T5 AWD, '10 S40 Ice White T5 AWD,
      '12 C30 Ice White T5 R Design w/Polestar, and '13 C30 Rebel LE #189/250
      ALL MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS

Manual Volvos for Life

3rd row booster seats - yes. 3rd row child seats that would require tethering - no. I cannot imagine relegating babies to the third row.
      2020 XC40 R Design T5 Polestar, bursting blue, July 2019
      2015 V60 T5, crystal pearl, platinum/tech/BLIS, July 2015
      2012 XC60 R Design, electric silver, off-black, platinum/climate/tech/BLIS, OSD in Nov 2011
      2004 XC90 2.5T, silver, OSD in Oct 2003

Quote Originally Posted by kevinG View Post
      3rd row booster seats - yes. 3rd row child seats that would require tethering - no. I cannot imagine relegating babies to the third row.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2018 S90 T5 Momentum Crystal White, Heated Seats/Steering wheel, Convenience, 19" wheels

2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar Engineered software

Quote Originally Posted by kevinG View Post
      In a Volvo you can.

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements