SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

JaredR's 1997 850R Estate

151K views 1K replies 77 participants last post by  JaredR 
#1 · (Edited)
Before I got the T-5R, I got this 850R. Before I got this 850R, I got a red/tan 850R estate from just north of Albany, NY, but, while it was sitting in a huge snowdrift in our yard last February, it got picked up by a front end loader that was supposed to be clearing the street, but ended up doing some off-roading in our front yard instead. This meant I needed another caR, so I bought this one off of the Atlanta Craigslist in April, 2015 with a blown engine and had it shipped up here. I was looking for another red/tan to replace the other one, but, given its cosmetic condition, what the guy was asking, and the fact that it was probably going to get parted out if I didn't buy it, this was simply too good a deal to pass up.

What's the history of this car?

• 1996-08-01: OSD order placed. Original owner was a one star general in the Ohio Air National Guard.
  • 1996-09-17: Temporary Swedish registration issued.
  • 1996-09-23: Departed Sweden on M/S ATLANTIC CONCERT.
  • 1996-10-15: Arrived in Baltimore with 16 miles on the odometer.
  • 1996-10-22: Registered in Canal Winchester, OH.
  • 2010-07-30: SOLD to second owner in Atlanta, GA, at 253k miles. The original owner took incredibly good care of it.
  • 2014-05-29: "Sold" to 3rd owner at 262k miles. I say "sold" because this guy never actually transferred it to his name. I believe he had blown the engine by November, 2014.
  • 2015-04-06: I agreed to buy it at 269k miles. This got complicated because the guy never transferred it into his name.
  • 2016-01-27: Finally got a bill of sale from the 3rd "owner." Yay for VT's lax title laws. Luckily I have a copy of the title signed over to him and bill of sale from when he got it, so I can document the full chain of custody and that it wasn't stolen if I ever need to.

It's an odd history since the original owner sold it. I have to wonder what the story is with that second guy who owned it for 4 years and only did 9k miles in it.

What have I done so far?

• Vacuumed and washed it. This thing was a mess. The guy left tons of junk in there and the car was covered in pine pollen. It was bad...and there is still pine pollen coming out of the panel gaps.
  • Somebody thought it would be a good idea to put in some really crappy Kenwood speakers in the front doors and take the tweeters out of the dash. Did a speaker swap from the wrecked R. Sounds good now.
  • Aired it out. Still airing it out, actually. 3rd "owner" was a smoker.
  • Bought some 850R floor mats on ebay. Pretty clear that there were some OEM Volvo mats in there until recently before I got it, but who knows where they went.
  • Started process of engine removal. Got everything ready to pull the engine, but then we discovered the engine was seized when we tried to turn it over to pull the torque converter bolts. Bolted a steel bar on to the end of the crankshaft where the serpentine belt pulley attaches and broke out one of the bolts trying to get it moving. Going to pull the head and try to get it going from inside, and, if that fails, then I guess we'll pull the engine and transmission together and put the M66D in the this one now and do the T-5R later.

What does it still need/what am I planning on doing? (in no particular order)
  • Needs a working engine!!
  • MANUAL SWAP! Obviously...this will eventually happen even if it doesn't happen at the same time as the engine swap. Going to use a M66D. Going to to turn the sport/econ button into a boost controller as part of the swap.
  • Need to buff out the paint. It is pretty badly oxidized from living outside in Atlanta, and I haven't been keeping up with the wax, either, since it was already bad when I got it.
  • Needs a new headliner. The fabric was falling, so the previous owner tried to use some thumbtacks. That didn't work, so he just ripped it off and the fabric was in a big ball in the back when I got it. Oh, yeah, I got a lifetime supply of thumbtacks out of this deal, too.
  • E-code lights.
  • Needs a rear spoiler. Thinking about adding roof rails, too.
  • Driver's door was damaged and replaced at some point. It was clearcoated when it was repainted, so I need to either find an original 609 door from a R that's getting parted, or have it repainted again in single stage. The clear that is on there is starting to show signs of failure.
  • Might put in a SC-901 at some point.
  • Maybe get another dash pad from somewhere and try to mod a dolby center speaker into it (anyone done this in an 850 yet?).
  • Needs a new glovebox door because some clown tried to pry it open at some point.
  • Needs to spend a day with a PDR guy. Surprisingly, there aren't any door dings, but there is a pretty good dent in the port A pillar, a small dent in the roof, and a crease that is only noticeable from certain angles in the starboard fender.
  • Front bumper has a couple cracks. Hopefully I can address those without a full bumper respray but I think it probably will need a respray.
  • Probably going to put in some heated rear seats and maybe some other goodies for the people in the back, like maybe an aux jack for the music management system I have planned, a P2 style armrest with the little storage bin, and some floor lights like the front seat gets. Maybe some P2 style B pillar air vents if I really go nuts.
  • Going to add a music management system that has enough space for all of my music. Can't fit it all on a phone so this is going to have to be something clever....and I'm going to use a stock HU because I want to keep that '90s feel. Hoping I can do something where I can hook it up to my wi-fi network and sync music directly from my computer.
  • Need to call up the original owner and see if he still has the OSD plates. Managed to track him down, but he's moved to AZ since he sold the car, so I'm not feeling optimistic. Failing that, maybe I can get some repro OSD plates. I have the temporary registration form with the reg number and expiration date on it.

Pictures!

This is what it looked like right after I vacuumed and washed it.

IMG_6903 by Jared R 945, on Flickr

IMG_6904 by Jared R 945, on Flickr

IMG_6909 by Jared R 945, on Flickr

The odometer works. Gear was replaced by the original owner at the dealer. Dealer pulled the mileage from the computer when they did this.
IMG_6911 by Jared R 945, on Flickr

IMG_6938 by Jared R 945, on Flickr

IMG_6939 by Jared R 945, on Flickr

IMG_6941 by Jared R 945, on Flickr

IMG_6947 by Jared R 945, on Flickr

IMG_6951 by Jared R 945, on Flickr

See less See more
#441 ·
Can't believe it's been 6 weeks since the last update. Oh well the dangers of having fun in the summer. Life got pretty crazy this week so I decided to channel that energy into this project tonight and made some solid progress.

Decided that my AC lines needed to be repainted.

The photo doesn't do the improvement justice.

Got going on the epic master window switch.

Conveniently, I had another console harness lying around to scavenge wiring from. Even more conveniently, there were already splitter cables in it for power and ground, so I decided I'd just splice those into the pwr/gnd cables in the switch harness rather than do them all individually for every relay.

Looks like a bit of a rat's nest still, but mostly there. Need one more relay and harness and I'll have auto down on every window and auto up on both fronts.

DSC_0552 by Jared R, on Flickr

Other progress from the last few weeks:

New AC evaporator. Old one was definitely leaking.

And....removed even more stuff from the engine bay. Wasn't really planning on taking the firewall heat shield off but then I dropped a tool behind it so that kinda had to happen. Decided I want to update to the ME7 firewall heat shield while I'm in here. Annoyingly it's NLA so if anyone has one.....

DSC_0474 by Jared R, on Flickr

#442 ·
The first time I saw an 850 Window switch, I thought it had the most ridiculous amount of wiring. Now even more so!

That evaporator is definitely shot... looks just as bad as my old one!

#443 · (Edited)
Yeah it's pretty out of control. But then that's what we're doing in this build now I just have to figure out where all these relays are gonna live in the console LOL

#444 ·
Acquired a ME7 heat shield after quite an annoying search. Polished it up and threw it in.

M4.x cam position sensor trigger doesn't fit ME7 camshafts as built. The hole is smaller than the lip protruding inboard.

Threw it in the lathe and drilled out the offending portion.

That'll work better.

Notched the torque mount bracket to give clearance for the cam sensor wire harness.

New cam and crank sensors installed.

#445 ·
Turning the trigger instead of boring out the RN cam is what I wished I could have done. Alas the campus shop was too far. Maybe we should start a large tool craigslist find thread in the classifieds so I can finally get a home lathe lol. I didn't notch out my torque mount bracket either, I don't remember why I didn't but I managed to fish the cam sensor connector through a gap somehow.

But does that bracket that serves as the engine hoist point serve any purpose in an N application? I trimmed mine so it would with with the distributor and I couldn't see what purpose that bracket serves, besides the hoist point.

#446 ·
Turning the trigger instead of boring out the RN cam is what I wished I could have done. Alas the campus shop was too far. Maybe we should start a large tool craigslist find thread in the classifieds so I can finally get a home lathe lol. I didn't notch out my torque mount bracket either, I don't remember why I didn't but I managed to fish the cam sensor connector through a gap somehow.

But does that bracket that serves as the engine hoist point serve any purpose in an N application? I trimmed mine so it would with with the distributor and I couldn't see what purpose that bracket serves, besides the hoist point.
I probably could have done it with a dremel too. Would have been a pain. I was looking at the triffer and at the camshaft and I'm just wondering why on earth anyone would drill out the camshaft; seemed so much harder lol.

We shall find out what that bracket does. I'm done lifting the engine at this point. As of yet it hasn't been in the way of anything.

#447 ·
Turbo assembeled. 18T with new Melett CHRA.

DP and 7cm² exhaust housing on. Waiting for a CBV rebuild kit to throw the turbo on.

Scored some NOS ECE corner light bulb holders. New corner light assemblies also on the way.

#448 ·
That turbo is beautiful. Who or where did you go to for your CBV rebuild kit?

#449 ·
IPD.

#450 ·
The weather forecast was making me uneasy about the flooding potential this week, so I threw the subframe in tonight. Would have rather done that after my CBV kit comes tomorrow but it is what it is.

FedEx delivered my new turbo oil feed line from FCP literally as I was rolling the subrfame into position so that was a last minute install before dropping the car down.

Dash mounts repaired and reinforced. Going to try to put the dash in tomorrow.

#451 ·
Definitely easier to install the CBV out of the car, but better safe than sorry if there's flooding potential. Plus, it's not like it's TOO hard to install with the turbo in place... just really annoying!

#452 ·
Seems like it shouldn't be too bad with nothing but the water pipe in the way yet. I haven't bolted the subframe in yet, either, so I can just lift it back up again if it doesn't look like we're getting flooded and I get really annoyed lol. It's a pretty weak storm and the tides aren't very high but we've been surprised before so no messing around.

#457 ·
Thanks Ted! Neither can I; honestly the hard part was gathering the parts so I feel like I'm just cruising to victory at this point. Also really hyped to have more free time and not have an entire car's worth of parts from this thing strewn all over the property lol.

#458 ·
As expected, a few issues were encountered in the subframe install. First was that the clutch line doesn't connect at the trans. Different fitting. Is this the correct clutch line to use with a M66 swap?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vo...ine-c70-v70-s70-genuine-volvo-9181324#fitment

The shift cables don't connect. Also knew this. I had been debating what to do and after seeing it I decided it might be worth a try tto grab a set of P2 cables and see what happens. This also means that I'll need a P2 shifter and figure out some sort of adapter plate. I ordered one up from Europe so hopefully that won't take too long to show up. What this also means is the complete shifter experience will now be all P2. I really like the way the shifter feels in my S60 and I'll be thrilled to have that in a P80.

There was also a new problem: the N ECT sensor has much smaller threads than the RN one, and doesn't even come close to threading into any RN thermostat housings. I'd considered making a patch harness and running a RN coolant temp sensor, but I really don't want to mess with that given the ECT sensor is pretty important. Probably will end up making an adapter sleeve to screw into the RN thermostat housing that will allow the N ECT sensor to thread in.

Back to the forward progress.

Rat's nest of auto-down relays complete.

I made a patch harness to allow me to connect two cruise cancel vacuum switches.

I gutted a broken cruise cancel switch to start the patch harness.

#459 ·
Wow, that's a mess! Lol

I'm pretty sure that's the clutch line that I've seen used in M66 swaps. Might want to read over Mark/BlackT5's thread over on VS, he had a really complete swap thread.

What shifter/cables do you have now? P1?

#460 ·
I have 850 cables now. P1 cables are backwards and won't work with a P80 shifter or a P2 trans. It would be easy enough to make the 850 cables work, but it'd require some meds that would be likely to result in a worse shifting experience.

#463 ·
Started reassembling the passenger compartment.

Discovered a cracked damper actuator.

super glue didn't hold so I just threw an oteiker clamp on. Should take up the load and keep it from worsening.

Dashboard in.

#464 ·
Once the dash is in the rest is cake. I hate aligning those screws on the firewall... it's especially annoying after I've repaired the mounts and the nuts aren't PERFECTLY aligned.

#467 ·
Revised clutch line came in. Slipped right in.

P2 cables going in......or not quite.

Nothing a couple minutes with the Dremel couldn't solve

That's working way better. Now just have to wait for my P2 shifter to show up from Latvia....

Anyone know what these two nuts are from? Taller than a normal nut. I feel like I remember them coming from the steering column but I can't remember and didn't do as good a job marking interior parts than I did interior parts. That said, I was cruising around in VIDA for like two hours trying to track them down tonight and came up empty. Seems I have all the nuts/bolts for the steering column in place. I'm going to investigate further but I'msoliciting input.

#469 ·
That's a possibility, IIRC those are a little longer like that.

#470 ·
What is the part number for the clutch line you used? Would it fit on a M56 with an internal slave cylinder or is unique to the M66?

#472 ·
My P2 M66 shifter arrived yesterday. Not quite the same hole pattern as the 850 shifter.

one of the holes is in the right place. Had to trim the plastic thing below it to make room for the shift cables in that location.

Now just need to figure out how I am going to get more than one bolt to work and how I am going to make the reverse lockout work.

Broke out my new steam cleaner and cleaned up the passenger seat.

#473 ·
My P2 M66 shifter arrived yesterday. Not quite the same hole pattern as the 850 shifter.
One of the holes is in the right place. Had to trim the plastic thing below it to make room for the shift cables in that location.
Now just need to figure out how I am going to get more than one bolt to work and how I am going to make the reverse lockout work.
I'm not sure how much you want to cut the R up, idk if you want to keep the 'revert to stock' idea, but I've seen a lot of success come from rivnuts. I think they're pretty slick tbh, I only question the longevity of them. These mounting bolts don't get messed with too often, but force is definitely exerted on the shifter. It might be tricky getting the thread pitch/diameter you need though, just an idea.

#475 ·
Jared, are your seats "pilling" on the alcantara? I've been reading about different ways to remove it (shaving and sanding). Have you ever tried any of these methods? Interior looks good.

#476 ·
Thanks! Not a lot of pilling in this interior but there is some. I've gotten better results from sanding than fabric shaver, but that may be because I had a garbage fabric shaver. I used 600 grit sandpaper.

#478 ·
+1 on the plate idea, I was going to suggest that. I think an adapter plate will be your best bet to avoid drilling into the car several times!

I sanded my alcantara (I think using 600 as well) and it turned out great! Mine had some bad pilling, and it got rid of it fairly easily.

#479 ·
I shaved mine using a $10 shaver from amazon and had good results, but I've never tried sandpaper.

Jared, the car is looking better every day as usual! This is an ultimate professional restoration!!

#481 · (Edited)
My initial strategy of somehow modifying the shifter to work with the P80 bolt locations wasn't working.

Would have had to cut out an absurd amount of the plastic webbing.

This is obnoxious but workable.

Added some holes

Time for the big kids toys!!!

Only way to do it when you actually want your hole spacing to be correct.

Fits perfectly.

This isn't awesome at all but it kinda works. It does seem to be the source of some instability but it doesn't seem to be super noticeable in the feel and the sleeve still bottoms out fine so I'll probably ignore for now. Doesn't seem like it'll cause any meaningful issues.

Had to make a custom bolt LOL.

Was hitting and making noise going into 1/2.

Success. Everything seems super solid except the aft port mount but it seems solid enough to be functional. Both of the metal sleeves are bottomed out on the car so it's not going anywhere.

#482 ·
Nice! Looks like that does the trick!