The "new" '97 854 T5---and it's green!
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The "new" '97 854 T5---and it's green!

So, we just brought this home today.

As far as I know, all of the "standard" turbos for '97 were badged as "T-5".

It's got just over 180K on it, with a working odometer, which is less than both the current cars we have. It needs a few mechanical things addressed, but ran well for the almost 200 mile drive home.

I also just realized that it has the add-on fog factory fogs. Didn't even notice earlier.

The plan is to merge this with my 96 GLT NA manual car (which is mechanically sound...just un-turboed) and make a turbo manual car, with the grey interior.
      Last edited by Chuck W; 07-12-2018 at 12:38 PM.
      '97 854 T5 & '97 855 GLT(RN LPT swap/16T/ETC) (wife's)
      '78 264 (Future Whiteblock/T5 swap)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Nice score, and excellent plan! Should be a fun project.
      1995 850 T-5R Estate. AW50-42LE. Cream Yellow/Graphite. 296k.
      1997 850R Estate. RN/M66D. Bright Red/Graphite. 270k.
      2007 S60 T5. M66W. Black Sapphire/Arena. 136k.

Past: |1997 855R. Bright Red/Light Beige. AW50-42LE. Totaled by wayward construction equipment. || 1996 854R. Black Stone/Graphite. AW50-42LE. Parts car || 1995 854 TURBO. Polar White/Tan. AW50-42LE. Parts car. |
      Dad: 1997 V70 T5 SE. AW50-42LE. Frost Green/Oak. 212k.Mom: 2004 V70 NA. AW55-50SN Ruby Red/Tan 266k. <--- FOR SALE!!

I'm looking forward to it.

Gotta drive the '96 on a trip next month, but after that, it's on!

Going to mess around under the hood and take care of some cleaning and maintenance and get a plan together. Timing belt was done less than 20K ago, so that's a plus.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Nice car - always loved that shade of green!
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

So, I've been busy with house stuff and getting the 240 running again, but I got tired of tripping over the new exhaust in the garage, so I went to install it today.

It's ab OBX 3" DP mated to a Maximizer DP-back set-up.

Luckily, the O2 sensors came out without much fuss and the flange nuts all came loose with no drama.

In addition to the flex pipe starting to come apart, this tiny section had been stuck in there at some point.

The only thing I don't like is how far the tip sticks out. I actually like the oval, however.
      When my welder is back up and running, I'm going to cut this off and tuck it in a bit more.

Doesn't sound too bad, so far.

Aside from the exhaust, it got new spark plugs (the old ones were BAD) and a new fuel filter. Those really aren't picture worthy, however.
      Last edited by Chuck W; 07-12-2018 at 12:39 PM.

Oh, and I forgot a shot of it with the Arrakis on it, from a couple weeks ago.

Last edited by Chuck W; 07-12-2018 at 12:39 PM.

NICE!
      In the Garage
      Xena / 2006 XC90 V8 AWD, Onyx + Oak / 170,6xx /
      Viveka / 1996 850 N/A, Polar White + Oak / 128,5xx /
      Blixt / 1996 850 R, Polar White + Charcoal / 219,2xx /

Exhaust buddies!

I'm running the Maximizer too. I kinda got used to the ricer tip sticking out too much lol.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
      2004 Volvo S60R - SOLD - Elevate Body Kit, Tune, Downpipe and Exhaust, Snabb Intake.
      1997 Volvo 850R - 130K - 16t Angled, R Manifold, Maximizer OBX Downpipe and Exhaust, Snabb Intake, Snabb FMIC, Blue Injectors, Beust/Vast Tune, 302mm BBK, CherryTurbo Strutbrace, Do88 Silicone Hoses (All), Koni Sports Front & Rear, IPS Sways, H&R Springs, H&R rear 20mm spacers, Nokian zLine A/S 215/45/17. (Soon to be installed: S90 MAF, Quaife LSD, 7+7 hybrid K24, DW 900cc Injectors, DW200 Pump, e85. Then I'm done, I promise. Maybe.)

Well, since I was able to get this done last weekend (And get the temporary welder outlet in place)

I was able to get rid of this

and make it look like this

Looks much better with the couple inches chopped off of it.

Still working through all the things and trying to find time to get all the useful stuff off of the 96 GLT.
      Last edited by Chuck W; 07-12-2018 at 12:40 PM.

Well, 3 days after my last post, our baby was born. Project time has been a little limited due to baby time, and the fact that it was cyclocross season until a couple weeks ago.

I was able to get the old '96 GLT stripped and gone, but was then left trying to figure out where to store all of the grey interior stuff I pulled from it. I bit the bullet this weekend and got everything (but the dash) swapped this weekend. Also replaced the heater core, which apparently was leaking a bit.

(Don't mind the winter wheels...)

I didn't do the dash yet, as I need to swap the wiring harness,etc from one dash to a nearly perfect earlier dash I have waiting in the garage. I'll deal with the mis-match for now, as I'm glad to not be tripping over all of these parts that were cluttering up the garage.
      Last edited by Chuck W; 07-12-2018 at 12:40 PM.

When they installed my exhaust my tip was out about an inch. I asked to have it moved to level and he said he couldn't. Burned myself within a month, took it back and he moved it back. About 1/4" sticks out. Not bad.
      '95 850 T-5RM Wagon - Panther - DD 370,000, 23/26
      '95 850 T-5R Yellow sedan - Queen Bee - 220,000, 21/27
      '98 S70 GLT "Lil Red" - Daughter - 24/31
      Volvo's of time past: 740 GLE, 262C Bertone, 264, 960, S90, S70 GLT, Yellow T-5R...
      Volvo Repair Videos

So, things have been busy, and the car has just been very solid transportation since the last post.

When we last left the T5, I had swapped in MOST of the grey interior from the old '96 GLT. All that is left is the dash, itself.

A while back, the wife and I grabbed a "good" dash from a base '95 in the yard. It's got a couple things I need to repair, but it's in much better shape than the one I pulled from the '96.

The only issue was that the wiring harnesses are different.

So...

I removed the harness from the '96 dash and rewrapped it in good "friction" tape and set to swapping it into the new dash.

Still need to test/replace all of the bulbs in the dash switches and find a good day to make the swap, but this part is done.

Two quick questions:

1. What is that box/module on the left side of the pic (would be in the outer PS of the dash)
      2. The vent temp sensors for the ECC are the same between the pre-96 vs the 96-97, correct?
      Last edited by Chuck W; 07-12-2018 at 12:41 PM.

Nice ride man appreciate

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
      Two quick questions:

1. What is that box/module on the left side of the pic (would be in the outer PS of the dash)
      2. The vent temp sensors for the ECC are the same between the pre-96 vs the 96-97, correct?
      1. Does it have a part number?
      2. Cross reference part numbers to verify. I know there were three different harnesses in MY95 and I'm not sure if that had any impact on the dash components.

Also you can replace the bulbs in the dash switches super easily in the car. They just pop out. I use 14v bulbs so they don't burn out as quickly.
      1995 850 T-5R Estate. AW50-42LE. Cream Yellow/Graphite. 296k.
      1997 850R Estate. RN/M66D. Bright Red/Graphite. 270k.
      2007 S60 T5. M66W. Black Sapphire/Arena. 136k.

Past: |1997 855R. Bright Red/Light Beige. AW50-42LE. Totaled by wayward construction equipment. || 1996 854R. Black Stone/Graphite. AW50-42LE. Parts car || 1995 854 TURBO. Polar White/Tan. AW50-42LE. Parts car. |
      Dad: 1997 V70 T5 SE. AW50-42LE. Frost Green/Oak. 212k.Mom: 2004 V70 NA. AW55-50SN Ruby Red/Tan 266k. <--- FOR SALE!!

Alarm/remote box.
      '95 850 T-5RM Wagon - Panther - DD 370,000, 23/26
      '95 850 T-5R Yellow sedan - Queen Bee - 220,000, 21/27
      '98 S70 GLT "Lil Red" - Daughter - 24/31
      Volvo's of time past: 740 GLE, 262C Bertone, 264, 960, S90, S70 GLT, Yellow T-5R...
      Volvo Repair Videos

Quote Originally Posted by JaredR View Post

Also you can replace the bulbs in the dash switches super easily in the car. They just pop out. I use 14v bulbs so they don't burn out as quickly.
      Yeah, I have the bulbs and a bunch of extra holders, etc. Just haven't gotten around to do it yet. The wife's car needs half of them replaced, as well as half the cluster illumination lights, as well as 1 or 2 of the ECC bulbs...

Well, since the wife's '97 GLT is on borrowed time with the headgasket leak, I have her drive my car if she has to go outside of the city limits. Figure that's better while I'm getting the RN replacement ready for her car. I'd rather not have to pay for a tow from someplace an hour away in the sticks.

Anyway, she was driving it today, visiting family out in the sticks, and winds up playing "Dodge the Deer".

Deer #1 made it across the road. Deer #2 stuck its head out and she tagged it with the DS corner of the car. Result: Dead deer and broken stuff.

I dug what I had in the garage out to replace what I could, and made a quick attempt at straightening the hood and fender. The headlight housing was completely shattered. I had some parts from my '96 GLT I scrapped this past fall.

Still need to mess with it when I get a moment, but it straightened better than I thought. I can probably get most of that out of there.

I'm still stuck with needing a replacement DS indicator (with bulb holder), green, headlight trim, and a new wiper. *sigh* I'll need to an ad posted.
      Last edited by Chuck W; 07-12-2018 at 12:42 PM.

A lot less damage than my last game of "dodge the deer". Only difference was my deer went on to get hit by another car. If there's something you have trouble tracking down, reach out to me, I may have an extra from my recent parts car experience.
      In the Garage
      Xena / 2006 XC90 V8 AWD, Onyx + Oak / 170,6xx /
      Viveka / 1996 850 N/A, Polar White + Oak / 128,5xx /
      Blixt / 1996 850 R, Polar White + Charcoal / 219,2xx /

Well, closer inspection today revealed that she flat-spotted the DS front tire and the deer put a slight dent in the driver door (down low) and managed to break the rocker trim at the rear.

It's raining today, so I just swapped wheels on that side of the car (wearing the winter 15's anyway, and the tires are done after this season). I'll drag the 17's back out in a couple weeks.

That rocker trim is going to be a harder one to find. How close are the 850 and S70 rocker trim pieces? I'm guessing different enough, as I know the mudflaps are different between the two.

Well, this poor car can't catch a break.

Short version of what happened. Both were traveling opposite directions on the street with a center turn lane, planning to turn left. He had a car in front of him who was turning left, but not at the intersection he wanted to turn at. I went to turn left and that's when he decided he wasn't going to wait and pop back out into traffic.
      I got stopped in time, but he didn't, went under my bumper. No one hurt and no airbags deployed.

Busted the turn signal and headlight trim and put a hole in the bumper. Other broken stuff included the PS fog light bracket and the air deflector in the bumper. Gotta hunt down a turn lens, but just going to stick the other black headlight trim on there for now. Have some front end plans for the car, so I'm not too worried about replacing the other stuff for now.

Gotta get the wife's 855 back on the road, so I can give this thing a little love.

Got this over the weekend, along with the hood, side marker lights and bigger front sway, from a '00 XC

Still need fenders and radiator support/lights. I can get the rad support and lights from the local yards, when I can actually get a moment to do so, but I'm keeping an eye out for some 421 fenders.

Just about have the little Ranger beater truck on the road, and the wife's car is almost done, so I should be able to get back to working on this thing. It needs a bunch of work done to it.

So, with everything going on these days, I've just had very little time to mess with this thing. The wife's 855 is doing great, and I finally got a free weekend from cyclocross racing and got enough other projects out of the way to tackle some maintenance stuff on this.

When I bought the car, the PO touted doing a PCV "service". We did the glove test and it passed. Not great, but it passed. Fast forward until a couple months ago, it started to puff a bit of smoke once in a while. I'd just done the "high mileage" PCV mod on the wife's engine before I put it in the car, so I figured this car would probably benefit, with 192K on it now.

I knew things were going to be interesting when I went to pull the intake off. It had been off the car previously, and whoever did that decided that the lower intake bolts didn't need to be tightened. They weren't even tightened enough to touch the intake flange.
      I pull that all off and see evidence of fuel stains on the lower part of the gasket.

That's a Volvo PCV hose assembly you see there, but look...no clamps, on any of the connections. Half were loose because the rubber was starting to get hard.

Time is limited, so I didn't really spend much time with cleaning...much to my chagrin. I did blast off the intake with the power washer while it was out of the car.

New, larger PCV tubing installed, and the hole in the PTC fitting was opened up a bit.

While I was I was in there, I replaced a few rotted vac lines with silicone tubing. I also had a used set of the G-Plus silicone IC couplers sitting on the shelf, as an easy upgrade.

I hope to be able to do some more cleaning on it in the near future. At the very least, more cleaning will be done when the manual swap happens.

Finished it all off with a oil change.

Still trying to find a set of 421 green S/V70 fenders to go with my hood and bumper cover, but haven't had any luck yet.

Disconnected the battery to let the ECU reset. The car has always seemed to run a bit rich since I bought it. Never ran "bad", but I'm sure the half-assed "repairs" weren't doing it any favors. We'll see if it cleans up a bit.

Been busy with other projects, so it's been mostly parts gathering for this thing lately.

Things had gotten to the point though that some of the larger parts needed to get on the car and out of my way.

First thing on the list was to get rid of the old, broken tan dash.

All 4 of the mounting bosses at the firewall were broken.

One of the things I needed to do was to tend to this on the floor damper motor.

I patched it up not long after I got the car, but I knew it wouldn't last.

Luckily, I had replaced that flapper door for the floor damper on my old '96 NA. I pulled that out when I scrapped that car, so it was sitting on the shelf waiting for when I pulled the dash in this car.
      (I had pictures of that, or at least I thought I did...but they didn't turn out evidently.)
      Popped the right side of the HVAC case open, and swapped out the flapper. Easy-peasy.

The replacement dash has been sitting on top of my TBird in the garage for months. I'm in the process of working on that car, and needed it out of the way (and to avoid any damage to it)

(I haven't had a chance to clean the interior this season yet)

It didn't occur to me when I pulled this dash from the JY out of a 94-95 base, the grey was a different color than my '96R interior that I'd swapped from my old '96NA. *shrug* It's better than the tan. I went ahead and sprayed the dash pad black, as the grey I'd sprayed it previously wasn't going to jive with anything else.
      I also actually prefer the lack of wood-grain. The shifter still has it, but this car will be getting a manual, so it's temporary. I also installed my R steering wheel.

I'd finally found all of my S/V70 421 green parts for the front, so those are all sitting in my way now too, so I pulled all of the 850 sheetmetal off (and had that, along with a bunch of other scrap hauled off today...do get it out of my way) and stuck the *70 hood on, to cover the engine back up. Once I get the bumper cover and header panel out of the way, I'll get to installing the rest of the new parts.
      Last edited by Chuck W; 04-29-2019 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JaredR View Post
      I thought I'm the only one who suffers from bulbs burning out all the time.
      It's actually not a bad idea to use bulbs made for higher current.
      1999 V70 D5252T M56 - Nautic Blue/Graphite

So, working through this "nose" job, and the most recent "gotcha" after the bumper brackets are the headlight connectors.

The 850's have a 3-pin connector, while the *70's have a 4-pin. *sigh* Looks like I'm going to need to whip up some sort of adapter harness. I looked into swapping the connectors in the light assemblies, but the pins are different, so that's not gonna work.

So, after chasing down a bunch of the parts I needed, here's where we are at the moment.

I was able to make a run to the yard this weekend to get the headlight plugs I needed, and a little work removing pins, and we'll be set.

A couple things I haven't been able to source yet are the XC belt-line trim behind the front wheel, and the foglight connections are different.

All the ones I have for the 850's and the one '99 C70 I found in the yard have the two larger round pins, and not these smaller blade-type.

I also realized that the grille I have is a waterfall one, and not an eggcrate. I'll black it out with some Plasti-Dip until I find the proper one.

A couple things on the nose swap. When I got into this, the searches never really yielded good info on what was needed.

The nose on the S/V70's are a touch narrower at the front.
      What you run into is that the hood latch brackets get in the way, and you can't get the upper bolts on the header panel to the fender to attach.

The latch brackets for the S/V70's are a bit lower than the 850's

Once you install the later brackets (the old latches work), the fender moves where it needs to be, but you also need to drill a couple more holes.

Since I never found a good list of the stuff that's needed for this swap, I'll make my own.

-Hood, fenders, bumper cover.
      -Header panel (headlight mount, etc). You may need some slightly longer bolts for the lower attachment, as the 850's have stamped steel brackets along the bottom, while the *70's have the brackets as part of the assembly, which is thicker).
      -AL bumper core WITH the brackets that attach to the car. (The ones that the long bolts that hold the bumper on attach to)
      -Headlight plugs/pigtails
      -Hood latch brackets
      -Headlight assemblies and corner lights

So where I'm at now is I need to

-Replace the DS headlight plug
      -Finish up replacing the internal wiring harnesses on the headlight assemblies.
      -Install the headlights/corners
      -Adjust and rivet in the fender liners
      -Coat and install grille
      -Remove pinstripe from the fenders.

I still need to hunt down the fog light plugs, side trim, and a better grille.

Next on the list is some different 17's to replace the Arrakis and I have some 302 brake brackets that need to get put to use.
      Last edited by Chuck W; 05-13-2019 at 09:15 AM.

Well, I was able to (mostly) wrap up the conversion and give the car a quick bath and snap a couple pics before the sun went down.

Still need to find the fender beltline molding, the foglight connectors, and a new grille.

Also, another thing needed for the swap are the fender liners. I got the 850 ones to work for now, but I'll dig up another set and swap them out when I do the 302mm brake stuff up front.

The fenders, etc. aren't perfect, but neither is the rest of the car.

Need to get the 17's back on and give the car a good cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
      Well, I was able to (mostly) wrap up the conversion and give the car a quick bath and snap a couple pics before the sun went down.

Still need to find the fender beltline molding, the foglight connectors, and a new grille.

Also, another thing needed for the swap are the fender liners. I got the 850 ones to work for now, but I'll dig up another set and swap them out when I do the 302mm brake stuff up front.

The fenders, etc. aren't perfect, but neither is the rest of the car.

Need to get the 17's back on and give the car a good cleaning.
      I like the xc front bumper. It looks good. You’ve put good effort into the car and it shows. Good job.

Sent from my Nokia 3310
      Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
      Psalm 23:4

2005 Hyundai Elantra 2.0 AT
      2007 Volvo V70 2.5T AT

It's so nice to have a non-rattling dash in this thing. Always so much snapping and popping since I bought the car.

Another thing on my parts shelf is an "R" exhaust manifold. I'd like to do a reasonable turbo upgrade on this thing, but haven't decided what I want to do. I do have a K24 on the '04 B5254T4 engine in the garage, but I think I'd like to keep that together. Probably keep it a small frame turbo, I imagine.

I attempted to grab some fender liners at the junkyard this morning, but they were both broken on the only possible donor there. That car did give up its fog light connectors though, so I'll be able to take care of that later.

Another car, a '99 C70 convertible gave up its chassis braces. It had the AL-bushed front subframe, but I'm just going to do the delrin inserts on my current subframe, when I pull it for the manual swap.

I was also able to get the tires swapped to the new wheels this morning and just pulled the pinstripes off, since it's pretty warm today, and they were kinda soft.

Current state of things

Wow, that is an interesting mix of Volvo parts. (I mean that in a non-sarcastic way!) I think it needs a wing and maybe roof rails to complete the look.

Edit: I think I like the Arrakis wheels better than the Neptunes. Obviously, it's not my car though, so I can put that in my pipe of smoke it.
      Last edited by Chicago_Wagon; 05-22-2019 at 01:34 PM.
      Current - 2000 V70R Venetian Red Pearl
      Past - 1998 V70 XC Emerald Green Metallic
      RIP - 1987 Mazda RX-7 White/Red (first car, many speeding tickets, blown rotary engine)

The Arrakis may wind up on the wife's car at some point. They weren't my first choice, but stumbled upon them in the JY for cheap.

The wife thinks the nose and wheels make the car look more "muscle-y", and I guess she's not wrong.

I've thought about a deck spoiler, so maybe if I find one in the proper color, I'll pick it up.

I would normally have my Thule rack on top of the car by this time, but my schedule has been so busy, that my velodrome time has been non-existent, so no real reason to have it on top of the car yet.

Pull-a-part score this morning. '98 XC70 fresh on the yard.

Grabbed the egg-crate grill (With the older emblem), good fender liners, and a PS fender beltline trim piece (DS one was broken).

Also snagged a poly upper engine mount bushing and a fresh, unused license plate bracket.

Almost grabbed the turbo ECU (-460) for M4.4 flashing, but I currently have 3 and didn't want to spend the cash on it this time. (

Car was a 419 paint code, which is the same color as the wife's '97GLT, but I don't thing she'd be into the nose swap.

Gotta head out of the country for work tomorrow morning, so I'll get to swapping these parts when I get back.

And this guy showed up today.

Need to replace some worn delta-link bushings, and I've done it once with a homebrew tool. Not doing that again.

One of the first projects when I get back home.

Haven't had much time since returning from my work trip. Even when I've had time, it's been raining.

I finally got tired of dealing with the sloppy PS delta-link bushing, and it wasn't raining, so I changed that out today.

I wound up removing that extra piece I had on the top and just used a couple pieces of 1/8" thick steel plate to better support the outer shell as I pressed the new one back in. Went in pretty easy, really.

While I was under the car, I took care of this, with the spare part from when I changed the one on the wife's car. Mine hasn't been giving any codes, however.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast