Shaving the Engine Bay
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Shaving the Engine Bay

not doing a full shave just yet (probably should have during the build) but i want to clean it up as much as i can get to now.

AC is already ripped out, vacuum brake boost pump is gone, ripped out the stock cloth firewall and am installing that gold heat shield stuff, and am removing all the stock crap wire looms to do everything up in heat shrink wrap stuff.
      its gonna be a pita but if i can remove most the unused wires, cut the wiring harness thickness down by half, and tuck as much as possible, it will be one sweet looking engine bay.

my question is what else can i dump?

what about this ~1/2" vacuum line with some sort of valve that goes from pre turbo intake to the intake manifold then has a thin hard plastic line running somewhere for fuel? what exactly does that do?

what about the PCV system? i am also installing a catch can and would like to just vent to atmosphere and avoid the whole pre turbo heating element and stuff, but what is the part of it that connects under the intake manifold - to the breather box - to the coolant housing on the head? whats the point of that?

ill be posting pics in my build thread along the way and thanks for the help!!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That brake pump serves an important purpose. And the car will be angry with it gone.
      Exponents kill
      Elsa: 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap Back from Valhalla @ 357,098 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Hounddogger View Post
      That brake pump serves an important purpose. And the car will be angry with it gone.
      really? because i read a lot of people unplugged theirs when they go bad instead of replacing them and never noticed a difference. it is just there to assist the brake booster when the engine is cold and doesnt have full vacuum.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Under certain (vacuum) situations, you WILL notice the lack of vacuum!!! (big time, like no brakes)
      Email: jrl1194 ( at ) AOL (dot) com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak/Tan/Arena, 114K miles. My DD with no plans to sell it anytime soon
      2000 V70R, Wife's, she won't sell. Now she hit 150,000 miles and still near perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
      Under certain (vacuum) situations, you WILL notice the lack of vacuum!!! (big time, like no brakes)
      Creating a hill under boost and hitting the brakes you'll notice.
      Exponents kill

LOL, I'm not sure what wires in that loom are optional since its every one is required for a running engine.

Just clean up what you got, there is nothing 'extra' in there for you to get rid of.

Also, that extra line you speak of is for the EVAP system. Check the check valves to make sure they are still working since when both fail they will create boost and vacuum leaks. Don't get rid of it unless you always want a check engine light for a EVAP system failure.

Tony if you take the wire harness off for the injectors it'll really clean up your cam cover.
      06 Sonic/Nordkap MT SR with 18" Anthracite Pegs |63K Miles

00 Laser/Charcoal 2 Tone AT VR 16" Anthracite Satellites/ 17" Pegs |201K Miles

99 S70 N/A

Quote Originally Posted by SonicBlueR View Post
      Tony if you take the wire harness off for the injectors it'll really clean up your cam cover.
      The OTE pipe is also unsightly and can be removed.
      2004 Moose Longroof Go-Fast Row-It-Yourself

Quote Originally Posted by StealthyS60R View Post
      LOL, I'm not sure what wires in that loom are optional since its every one is required for a running engine.

Just clean up what you got, there is nothing 'extra' in there for you to get rid of.

Also, that extra line you speak of is for the EVAP system. Check the check valves to make sure they are still working since when both fail they will create boost and vacuum leaks. Don't get rid of it unless you always want a check engine light for a EVAP system failure.
      ill deal with the CEL later. if i cant run it hidden i will remove the evap can and vent the gas tank to atmosphere.

the wiring harness is FULL of wire that arent needed. think about how many different cars this wire harness was used for across the world. i know of at least 5 visible plugs that are in the engine bay not doing sh*t. plus just by stripping the plastic loom off and doing a shrink tubing wrap will save a TON of room and make it look SO much cleaner.

i dont think you guys understand the look i am going for

Last edited by boostednbagged; 03-01-2016 at 02:39 PM.

And every one of those cars is identical... Volvo's ME7 harness was used on 5 cylinder ME7 cars... Which are all identical... Only plugs that wouldn't be connected are lighting related.
      Exponents kill

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
      it will be less brakes, but not NO brakes.

cars have been running fine without evap and vacuum boost systems for decades. ill be just fine

And every one of those cars is identical... Volvo's ME7 harness was used on 5 cylinder ME7 cars... Which are all identical... Only plugs that wouldn't be connected are lighting related.
      wiring for the AC, this vacuum pump, lighting, power steering (once i remove that), the 4C system, etc.
      there are PLENTY of wires i can remove lol

Quote Originally Posted by mullen1120 View Post
      wiring for the AC, this vacuum pump, lighting, power steering (once i remove that), the 4C system, etc.
      there are PLENTY of wires i can remove lol
      Uhhhhhh you really don't want to drive an R without power steering. Seriously. Ever. It's not fun, it doesn't get easier with speed.
      Exponents kill

So you think that power wire for the A/C is really bulking up that harness? Dude, you are going off the deep on a fools errand. What is there to see about the evap system, it lives UNDER the intake manifold so unless you have x-ray vision I don't see why this is a problem for your sense of aesthetic.

Think about the fact that you have 15 wires for the coils, 10 for the injectors, 6 for the cam sensors, 4 for the CVVT solenoids, 3 for the crank sensor, 4 for the knock sensors, over 10 for the O2 sensors and a giant power cable going to the starter and alternator. Add a few more for the evap solenoid and oil pressure sensor and that's the bulk of what's running around your engine compartment.

So which of those do you plan on ditching for some crazy idea?

The bulk of all this runs along the subframe where no one can see it so why is this such an issue?

it will be less brakes, but not NO brakes.

cars have been running fine without evap and vacuum boost systems for decades. ill be just fine
      NEVER valet park your car. I know with the Enem cams I have to remember on start up = pedal to the floor.
      2006 V70R Black GT 377 awhp TME Exhaust, Girodisc 2 piece rotors IPD Sway bars, HD end links, Strut Brace, Poly engine mounts EST CAI, Silicone hose kits, SNABB intake, IPD HO coils,Enem Y21, CamsRaceS60R FMIC,Majestic Hybrid Turbo, HFS-4 water meth ElectronicsSPA digital Boost/EGT, ScanGauge II, Bel STiR ,Laser Interceptor HD front jammer, Mobileye collision avoidance system , LED interior lighting, ImiV, 2 USB, AARP member,

id like to see this when its finished. dont let these old fart's discourage you (i do like you old farts for the record or else i wouldnt be here)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2007 S60R Nordkap & Black Sapphire Metallic. Auto. Holset HY35, 2.3 Block shimmed, Forged pistons, H-Beam Rods. 3" DP, Meth Inj.

It's gonna be a while till I remove the power steering but I've driven plenty of cars without it and I don't see why the R would be any different. You must have little girl arms lol.

And you guys are very confused on the brakes. I'm not removing the booster.
      If I was running cams then I could see keeping the vacuum pump. But other than that the Car really doesn't need it.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
      Oh there have been times that pump is helpful. If you shove the clutch in on boost and slam on the brakes you'll want that pump.

As for the power steering it's almost impossible to turn the wheel without it.
      Exponents kill

I think you're on the wrong forum for this sort of thing...

I think you're missing the point of shaving an engine bay. The point isn't to eliminate "unnecessary" components (like AC or power steering), but to cleverly route them in a neat, organized fashion. This is a difficult vehicle to achieve that with. You should maybe consider why some people haven't done this yet. Just because it's different doesn't make it a good idea.

Do what you like, but if you ask a forum for answers, especially one like this with many learned people, don't disregard information provided with snarky remarks.

To me it is unecessary. I drive this car maybe 1,000 miles a year. After this it'll be the interior and roll cage time.
      I think you are missing the point. I'm turning this R into a show car. I could give 2 fu*ks about AC and other "luxury features"

So, now that we have that aside, y'all can stop telling me how hard the wheels will be to turn without power steering and help me with what I need to do to remove things

Anyone have a diagram on the evap canister system?

i think vida does.. im not home atm or else id go on and check :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2007 S60R Nordkap & Black Sapphire Metallic. Auto. Holset HY35, 2.3 Block shimmed, Forged pistons, H-Beam Rods. 3" DP, Meth Inj.

To me it is unecessary. I drive this car maybe 1,000 miles a year. After this it'll be the interior and roll cage time.
      I think you are missing the point. I'm turning this R into a show car. I could give 2 fu*ks about AC and other "luxury features"

So, now that we have that aside, y'all can stop telling me how hard the wheels will be to turn without power steering and help me with what I need to do to remove things

Ask ScottishBrick what his ME7 harness looks like. He has a complete one from a 99 T5M. Aside from the extra CVVT solenoid and grounds being in a different location they're pretty identical. That should give you an idea of what can go.

I still think leaving power steering would be smart. Moving 2 235+ wide tires with all the weight on them is not fun without power steering.
      Exponents kill

I don't understand why you would sleeve the motor and put a big turbo on it if your not even gunna drive it..
      And why when you had the motor apart you didn't even clean it up that much or powder coat things like mine 😄

06 Sonic/Nordkap MT SR with 18" Anthracite Pegs |63K Miles

00 Laser/Charcoal 2 Tone AT VR 16" Anthracite Satellites/ 17" Pegs |201K Miles

99 S70 N/A

Ask ScottishBrick what his ME7 harness looks like. He has a complete one from a 99 T5M. Aside from the extra CVVT solenoid and grounds being in a different location they're pretty identical. That should give you an idea of what can go.

I still think leaving power steering would be smart. Moving 2 235+ wide tires with all the weight on them is not fun without power steering.
      I'll prob end up keeping it. See if I can't get the pump mounted where the AC compressor used to be. That would work perfectly.

Haters gonna hate. Let this guy do his thing.
      05 SR 6M Sport Ti/Atacama 18 inch pegs -purc 4/1/11... OBX turbo back and K&N, Snabb FMIC and intake pipe,Ipd upper/lower, IPD strut tower conv .

Quote Originally Posted by SonicBlueR View Post
      I don't understand why you would sleeve the motor and put a big turbo on it if your not even gunna drive it..
      And why when you had the motor apart you didn't even clean it up that much or powder coat things like mine 😄
      I should have. But I wasn't planning on going this far then.

I don't understand shaving the engine bay, although I do like a neat and clean bay. I don't get ridiculous, hilarious camber. I don't get people urinating on their hoods to get that sweet rust look.

But hey, it's your car. As long as you aren't violating your local inspections (or, like FL, have none) and aren't a safety hazard on the road, who am I to disagree?

Even if it's phenomenally stupid. Personally I think it's a troll on the similar level to dougy's improvised hood scoop.

I love the look. Go to H2Oi or SoWO and you'll understand

Quote Originally Posted by n23 View Post
      I don't understand shaving the engine bay, although I do like a neat and clean bay. I don't get ridiculous, hilarious camber. I don't get people urinating on their hoods to get that sweet rust look.

But hey, it's your car. As long as you aren't violating your local inspections (or, like FL, have none) and aren't a safety hazard on the road, who am I to disagree?

Even if it's phenomenally stupid. Personally I think it's a troll on the similar level to dougy's improvised hood scoop.
      ^ This. If someone asks for my input I give it, even if its that their idea sucks.

I would never go as far as saying he shouldn't be posting this here though, to each their own after all and its their property and money to do with whatever they desire.

People have been driving for decades without power steering in cars with steering racks designed for no power assist (no hydraulics, higher ratios, less caster). Doing it with a car/rack designed for power assist is another matter entirely.
      2004 Moose Longroof Go-Fast Row-It-Yourself

Quote Originally Posted by taloras View Post
      People have been driving for decades without power steering in cars with steering racks designed for no power assist (no hydraulics, higher ratios, less caster). Doing it with a car/rack designed for power assist is another matter entirely.
      This is a good point.

He should test his theory by getting up to speed on some twisties and shutting off the engine to see what its really like. It might actually cure him of this crazy idea.

He should test his theory by getting up to speed on some twisties and shutting off the engine to see what its really like. It might actually cure him of this crazy idea.
      Had a boost hose pop off at 20-30mph... car stalled. Honestly didn't expect it to be that bad... But it was.
      Exponents kill

No power steering is actually better for handling.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast