Shaving the Engine Bay - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Shaving the Engine Bay

Quote Originally Posted by singleuseonly View Post
      slow up there. i said it WASN'T irreplaceable. cut at it.

...and just to note, as others have already, you do require the ps pump. AMHIK.
      wasn't directed towards you mate im talking about everyone and everything in general. but thanks for the...clarification? i guess lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2007 S60R Nordkap & Black Sapphire Metallic. Auto. Holset HY35, 2.3 Block shimmed, Forged pistons, H-Beam Rods. 3" DP, Meth Inj.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

here is an idea of what the harness will look like when im done. i have been reading a lot of this thread. its for a honda, but this guys knows what he is doing and answers a lot of questions. esp about removing or "looping" power steering.

http://honda-tech.com/honda-acura-28...ssion-1693934/

Last edited by boostednbagged; 03-03-2016 at 08:26 AM.

Having been down this road in the past with an old fox body mustang, I completely get why you are doing this.... of course this was a 25 year old car now and much less to deal with. Nevertheless, it was still a bit of work and looked awesome in the end... car ended up getting a full spread in a popular magazine 12 years ago. No one ever said it was easy, but pursue your passion.
      07 S60R Electric Slvr/Nordkap 6MT Darton Sleeved/Rods/Pistons, RaceS60R FMIC, IPD Sways, Spec Stg3+ SMF, PDV Collar Sleeve, EFR7163, PM3, Aeromotive 340 fp, ID1050x, RS4 MAF, Devils Own Meth & Contrast Tune
      01 Audi S4, Tial 605's, built engine, etc
      93 Mustang Cobra, Incon Twin Turbo 347 Dart, etc

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BaxtR View Post
      im almost positive this is the fastest R on the forum. also one of the cleanest.
      A car has to be running to be fast, and that engine and tranny are filthy, lol. When you pop the hood first thing people see is your engine and plumbing so my advice would be to focus on the things that really matter.

I'm sure he'll ean up the engine and trans before it's done. Also, here's a nice V70 with a shaved bay. Pretty sure this guy had performance in mind, and it still seems to be able to be driven with some OEM things removed (probably not as reliable as a stock car, but its not a daily so it doesn't have to be designed to work as a daily). A little different orientation, but a 5cyl nonetheless.
      2004 S60R M66 - Black Sapphire / Atacama | UR braces | IPD V70R track spec sways & oval tube exhaust | Races60r downpipe | SNAAB FMIC & intake | 245/40/18 Super Sports | 10/15mm H&R spacers

Quote Originally Posted by BaxtR View Post
      im almost positive this is the fastest R on the forum. also one of the cleanest. he knows what he's doing and i can tell by his pictures and work that he isnt gonna stop just bc of you guys telling him its irreplaceable or you "need" it to drive. you dont "need" anything. it just gives you an advantage of making life easier if you do. i follow you on instagram and ur pics and vids give me ragers. keep this up!

also. ya old farts sound like a broken record! love u guys but he obviously isnt gonna stop

Not so fast there young man. I would say one of THE fastest. Will need to see some numbers to support saying it IS the fastest.

Looking good though

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
      2006 V70R Black GT 377 awhp TME Exhaust, Girodisc 2 piece rotors IPD Sway bars, HD end links, Strut Brace, Poly engine mounts EST CAI, Silicone hose kits, SNABB intake, IPD HO coils,Enem Y21, CamsRaceS60R FMIC,Majestic Hybrid Turbo, HFS-4 water meth ElectronicsSPA digital Boost/EGT, ScanGauge II, Bel STiR ,Laser Interceptor HD front jammer, Mobileye collision avoidance system , LED interior lighting, ImiV, 2 USB, AARP member,

Quote Originally Posted by mullen1120 View Post
      Well people have been driving cars for almost a century without it, so I'll manage lol

And no it's not.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
      I think a key point here is, just removing the vacuum pump or the power steering and NOT replacing them with like units that are designed to NOT have power assistance (like a racing rack and pinon unit or a non-boosted master cylinder) then your asking for trouble... I mean whats the point of having the brake booster in there if you don't have vacuum?? The gear rations in the R&P steering are all wrong for non-assist, get one that is appropriate. Then it's a "custom show car" not just a hack job.

OK lets put this to rest because i am getting really annoyed.

I am not removing the power steering anymore

When I do go that route, I will make sure it is a rack that is designed for it

as for the vacuum pump, the brake booster still has a vacuum line running to the manifold. it still gets plenty of vacuum. 90% of the cars out there operate this way so explain that.

i suggest you read the up before you post on my thread with some garbage you have no idea what you are talking about.

better yet, go unplug your pump yourself. $100 says you dont notice.
      Last edited by The Driver; 03-07-2016 at 11:14 AM.

honestly the only thing i will SLIGHTLY miss is the AC. but i never used it even when i had it. i would rather open the windows and sweat a little than put that kind of strain on the engine.
      THIS +1 I usually always have my windows down and i live in FL where its hot lol. I love driving with my windows down

2007 S60R Nordkap & Black Sapphire Metallic. Auto. Holset HY35, 2.3 Block shimmed, Forged pistons, H-Beam Rods. 3" DP, Meth Inj.

Quote Originally Posted by StealthyS60R View Post
      A car has to be running to be fast, and that engine and tranny are filthy, lol. When you pop the hood first thing people see is your engine and plumbing so my advice would be to focus on the things that really matter.
      lol of course i am going to clean that up.

Wow, surprising to hear the horsepower or two it takes to run the heat pump is such a strain on one of the most powerful R motors around, lol.

Wow, surprising to hear the horsepower or two it takes to run the heat pump is such a strain on one of the most powerful R motors around, lol.
      actually its around 10 whp loss. not to mention the 100 lbs of weight i dumped off the front end. AND all the increased air flow to my radiator.

i am hoping to get this car to around 3,200 lbs with all this too. just by removing things that take up the engines power, weight, and air flow... that is an easy 50 whp i am gaining with out doing a single performance modification.
      Last edited by boostednbagged; 03-03-2016 at 11:01 AM.

post pics and updates. i am very interested in seeing where this goes.
      2005 Titanium/NordKap S60R: 70k Miles, automatic.
      Mods: Forge CBV, Snabb Intake, EST downpipe, IPD: hd coils, Oval Exhaust System, stage 0 complete.
      1998 V70R Silver/Charcoal: 170k Miles, automatic. Mods: Stage 0

Quote Originally Posted by mullen1120
      Wait, why did you delete the intake manifold? That's important for turbo performance.
      Last edited by Greyscale; 03-03-2016 at 12:08 PM.

some links to wire wrap:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-ca...eeving/=nof7nf
      http://www.heatshrinksupplies.com/6-...FZKk4AodeHcACQ
      http://www.waytekwire.com/products/1...Flexo-F6-Split

i think i am going to go with a fire resistant braided wrap for the main part of the harness' then use a silicone tape for ends and where i cant get a loom on, then probably a shrink wrap for really visible things like the coil packs.

actually its around 10 whp loss. not to mention the 100 lbs of weight i dumped off the front end. AND all the increased air flow to my radiator.

i am hoping to get this car to around 3,200 lbs with all this too. just by removing things that take up the engines power, weight, and air flow... that is an easy 50 whp i am gaining with out doing a single performance modification.
      Not even close, here is a typical performance curve for a compressor about the size of the Rs against a full pressure differential that you would never see that often in a normally operating system.

I also know from watching my data the R compressor rarely pulls more than a couple horses under normal operation.

http://sanden.com/objects/SD7H13_Performance-1.pdf

Not even close, here is a typical performance curve for a compressor about the size of the Rs against a full pressure differential that you would never see that often in a normally operating system.

I also know from watching my data the R compressor rarely pulls more than a couple horses under normal operation.

http://sanden.com/objects/SD7H13_Performance-1.pdf
      well lucky for me i did HVAC for 3 years so once again i will prove you wrong
      based off that subcool and superheat, your chart was done at room temperature, when in reality the AC system is experiencing temps of around 100 deg.
      EVEN at room temp converting 4kw to hp is 5.3 hp you are loosing at 3k rpm
      now, figuring a linear trend line for being WAY above room temp, you are easily at 10hp. i would even say on really hot and humid days, dirty coil (you know yours is), and spirited driving, you are probably loosing 20hp!!!!

you must not know your car very well bc every car ive ever driven, when running the AC, is NOTICEABLY more sluggish.

Why don't you convert the AC compressor to be your air ride's compressor? Much quieter and way more efficient.

And I'll second Stealthy on needing a running car to be the fastest... Where's your laptime/ET/dyno results?

i hope you guys know he didn't delete the intake mani lol. he took it off for the tucking and deletion of the pcv system.

mullen who cares what someone thinks...great job! carry on
      2000 Toyota Tacoma
      2000 ML320
      2000 ML55 AMG
      2005 XCR90
      2006 C70
      2006 S60R - gone
      1997 Avalon - gone - son - space-force

This isn't a terrible idea. In theory I dig it. I'm just not sure how much you're going to actually be able to eliminate. It's not something I would do, but I'm lazy and don't care that much about these kinds of things.

Interested to see how it looks when it's done and whether or not the loss of ancillary bullsh*t is worth the effort and final cleaned up look.

Props to anyone who wants to try something different than what is usually done to our cars.
      Last edited by The Driver; 03-07-2016 at 04:02 PM.
      -TJ
      '97 855 :: Project Boxy Lady (SOLD)
      '07 S60R MT :: 452//Nordkap (SOLD)

Are you goin to pull the check engine light bulb out of the DIM too? Haha cuz your gunna get a lot of that and messages about the headlights on the message screen
      06 Sonic/Nordkap MT SR with 18" Anthracite Pegs |63K Miles

00 Laser/Charcoal 2 Tone AT VR 16" Anthracite Satellites/ 17" Pegs |201K Miles

99 S70 N/A

Quote Originally Posted by SonicBlueR View Post
      Are you goin to pull the check engine light bulb out of the DIM too? Haha cuz your gunna get a lot of that and messages about the headlights on the message screen
      Headlights and suspension I already get. Hoping eventually Hilton will be able to program them out. But all other sensors will be tied together. Shouldn't have any CELs

Before and after with the AC lines removed. It looks even better in person. I am also wrapping the firewall in that gold heat shielding stuff.

Before and after of what the passenger side will look like. Besides the headlamp, you won't see any wires
      Planning on putting the ECM in a sealed something and mount where the washer reservoir was.

Last edited by boostednbagged; 03-03-2016 at 06:24 PM.

Realized to do this right the whole cowl needs to come off. And wow did Volvo do a poor job here. The entire pass side wire harness is exposed to weather. I'll be re routing all this fo sho lol

This is gonna be sick when it's done, and one of a kind!

Thanks for sharing all the pics!
      David - '01 S60 T5 GT 205K+ miles OWNED SINCE DAY ONE - Bilstein Sport + TME, ipd sway bar + endlinks, UR chassis braces (upper F+R), Powerslot /Akebono pads, Snabb Intake, iMIV Original engine, transmission replaced at 78k miles
      Wife -'13 C30 T5 R-Design 63k+ miles Dad - '98 S70 T5 205k + miles, Bilstein TCs, IPD HD rear springs, SAS delete Mom -'10 S80 V8 Executive Sis - '02 S80 T6 Backup car -'13 S60 T5 (Not as fun as my '01)
      Past
      '95 850 '92 960

Quote Originally Posted by T501 View Post
      This is gonna be sick when it's done, and one of a kind!

Thanks for sharing all the pics!
      I've removed like 5 rolls of electrical tape so far. Its nuts lol. They must have a freakin case of it at every work station haha

And this is just the passenger side. All this is going to be replaced with just a couple braided looms. Amazing.

soliddd

Got the harness divided. ECM, Headlamps, windshield washer stuff (gone)

Further wire separation.

If you are serious about this, run the engine harness through the firewall and put the ECU inside the car. If you are going through all this trouble for a bare engine compartment why not do it right? Then all you will need up front is some blingy coolant resevoir.

If you are serious about this, run the engine harness through the firewall and put the ECU inside the car. If you are going through all this trouble for a bare engine compartment why not do it right? Then all you will need up front is some blingy coolant resevoir.
      Now where was this good advice the whole time!? Haha

Yes, I agree, ECU re routed inside the car is the way to go.

Mullen it's looking really good. How many hours do you think you will have into this ?

I do have a question on the AC, doesn't it cut out when you are at full throttle ?
      2006 V70R Black GT 377 awhp TME Exhaust, Girodisc 2 piece rotors IPD Sway bars, HD end links, Strut Brace, Poly engine mounts EST CAI, Silicone hose kits, SNABB intake, IPD HO coils,Enem Y21, CamsRaceS60R FMIC,Majestic Hybrid Turbo, HFS-4 water meth ElectronicsSPA digital Boost/EGT, ScanGauge II, Bel STiR ,Laser Interceptor HD front jammer, Mobileye collision avoidance system , LED interior lighting, ImiV, 2 USB, AARP member,

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast