SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Uneven tire wear

9K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  Magic Marker 
#1 ·
Both rear tires are showing a pretty significant uneven wear. Inside is much more worn that outside. They only have 18K miles (Michelin Pilot A/S 3) and have been in the back for the past 5000 miles. Dealer is blaming it on the IPD anti-sway bar. He says everything else in the suspension looks tight. I had alignment done a few months ago.
Is he right in saying that or it's BS?

#3 ·
I'm thinking it's BS too but there's not much I can do. I don't want to waste my time. I'll pay for two new tires and have them rotated every 3K miles. If there is a problem it will be spread around. This way Michelin won't complain when they wear out prematurely (which they will) and will honor the warranty.

#4 ·
I have the same tire with about 17K miles. I see some wear on the inside edge at the rear.
But the front outer edge is where I see most of the wear. I've had them rotated twice
so far and I'm thinking I won't get more then 25K miles before the corners will be too worn.

The left front outer edge wears the fastest. Probably from more fast right hand turns
in day-to-day driving.

#6 ·
I have many posts documenting my R and RD absolutely killing inner shoulder wear on michelins (AS2, PS2, and PSS). Never more than 15k miles on Y-rated without threads seriously exposed. I am seeing some hope now with AS3s.

#10 ·
Damn that's impressive. I've never even come close to manufacturer's numbers on any set of tires on any vehicle I've owned. Perhaps I drive a tad more aggressively :)

#11 ·
Admittedly my aggressive driving is limited to sport mode at on ramps on my daily commute to work but there are a couple S curves were I like to feel some Gs. I rotate my tires every 10k miles and always seem to get manufacturers numbers.

#12 ·
My A/S3's are worn and noisy as hell. Probably going with SO4 PP this summer, now that I have WS80's for the winter.

#13 ·
Looked for a tire that was mostly solid on the inner rib. The new Firehawk Indy 500's fit the bill, going to give them a try.

#14 ·
My 2012 S60 T5 with 74k miles is also showing wear on the inner part of both rear tires. The dealer said they will take a look when I take the car back in a few days to make sure my engine swap has no leaks/issues. I actually wanted to see if an alignment would help but she said to hold off, that they want to take a closer look and go from there.

Curious to see if anyone finds anything. My 2 other previous sets of tires did not exhibit this issue.

#15 ·
My dealer is of no help here. They blamed the iPD rear sway bar (how convenient). I did my last S$S service and it was very uneventful. Only wiper blades. Had to pay for the oil change (48,xxxx miles).
Next time I will take it to another dealer if I need anything.
Ordered two new tires from Costco and will get them installed next week.

#16 ·
I'm back in the dealer after 3 weeks in San Fran. They are taking a close look and trying to understand why the rear tires are wearing out much faster on the inside than everywhere else. Could be an alignment. I will let everyone know if they find anything.

I just know that I never had this issue and this just cropped up in the last 10k miles or so.

#17 ·
It's the camber. Our past C30 had non adjustable rear camber and it chewed up tires on the inside like crazy.

Also, your rear sway has nothing to do with it. The suspension still compresses the same due to the fixed geometry of the control arm. The sway bar is only providing resistance to the compression when opposing control arms are compressed differently (i.e. taking a corner)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

#18 ·
My alignment was way off. So much so that the inside wheels are wearing out because the tires are like this "\----/"

But I need new tires too because of how the alignment messed them up. They then want me to bring it back in 2000 miles when I get the car inspected to see how the tires are wearing.

#20 ·
I think you meant "/---\" if you were getting wear on the inside of the tires, right?

#21 ·
Sure would be nice if you guys would mention (and have in your sig) whether you have FWD or AWD? AWD inherently eats through tires much faster. Also, have you rotated every 5-7K miles or not?

Oh, and it's not beyond the realm of possibility that the shop shrewed-up the alignment. After my last dealer service alignment, I lost AWD functionality. Maybe just a coincidence? These techs are not infallible.

#23 ·
Uneven tire wear on 2015 Volvo S60, along inner edge

On my 2015 Volvo S60, the original equipment Pirelli P7 Cinturato 235/40 R19 96V: one blew out at 38K miles - thread separated near the inner edge, passenger side rear tire, and then at 40K miles the front two Pirelli tires were to the steel belt along the inner edge, and I had to replace those too.

I replaced the rear blown out tire with the same Pirelli, but the front two with Bridgestone Turanza EL400-02 235/40 R19 XL96V.

After the two fronts wore out, I paid for a lifetime alignment on the car at Firestone, which is a national chain. The four wheel alignment showed that especially on the front the toe and steer ahead were off. No alignment had been done before on the car.

Some say that 40K miles on these types of tires isn't bad, but I used to have a Carrera 4 and on that one, yes, I found that it ate tires, but I'd expect better on a Volvo.

On the blown out Pirelli with difficulty I got Pirelli to refund 10% goodwill, but I never saw the money it went to the Firestone dealer. However, Firestone did give me a free synthetic oil change, which wasn't bad. Pirelli offered nothing on the two worn out rears because their tread wear guarantee doesn't apply to original equipment tires. I could have fought with Pirelli further on this, but their goodwill refund isn't much anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.