FYI: Get your precise shipping itinerary BEFORE it's updated on the Wallenius Wilhemsen cargo tracker!
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Lightbulb FYI: Get your precise shipping itinerary BEFORE it's updated on the Wallenius Wilhemsen cargo tracker!

Hey guys n girls:

You've all been so helpful, I thought I'd add to the incredibly helpful and famous post that we all use once our cars are loaded on the ship in Gothenburg.

What this tip is about, and who it's for

Once your car rolls off the assembly line, it then makes its way (in a couple days) to the shipyard at Gothenburg. There are two status updates: booked and received at terminal. There's just a few days between these events.

However, there won't be any more updates until a day or two before the ship is ready to set sail, and this takes about a week from the last update (at least it did for me, and for several others I've spoken with).

Obviously, it's frustrating not to know what's going on, so here's how you can learn everything about your car's upcoming journey across the seas.

What you need

If you've gotten this far, you already have your VIN. If not, get it. Now, ask your dealer (or, if on the west coast of the US, ask GrecianVolvo) for your ETA in port.

What you do

1. Go to the Wallenius Wilhelmsen Logistics Schedules page

2. Enter Gothenburg for the departure city and your arrival port for the arrival city; also, enter your ETA in port date. You can leave the departure date as today's date. If for some reason this doesn't work, try bumping up the departure date a few days.

NOTE: the system seems to know which boat you're on as long as you select dates within several days of the true departure / arrival dates. If for some reason you're not getting results, just play with the days a little bit.

3. Click Search Routes.

4. On the left, you'll see your full itinerary, not unlike a flight itinerary. It will show you the start and end points of each leg of the journey, as well as the ship name, ports of call, and of course the departure and arrival dates (but curiously, no times). EDIT: be sure to copy the vessel number as it's the only truly unique identifier (searching based on name can produce multiple results).

5. On the right, you'll see the map of the Earth, with numbers corresponding to the various ports of call.

6. Now, click on the LIST or TIMELINE links at top-center of the map to see a specific breakdown of your car's journey. Very cool.

7. But wait, there's one more critical step: curiously, even the breakdown in Step 6 above does not show every stop on the way. I.e., even if it says something like "Departure: Southampton, Arrival: Port Hueneme," look closer, next to the WW logo, see that little "X ports of call" label? (For me, it says "4 ports of call.") Right. So, the departure and final terminal of your shipment count as 1 port of call each. So that means you have X-2 more en route; in my case, 2. Now, to figure out what these stops are, click the SHIP ROUTE NUMBER which should read something like CD612-ELX. This will show you information on the ship like where its home country is and, crucially, if you look at the map, every stop along its upcoming itinerary. Now click on LIST or TIMELINE as before, and you'll finally see the breakdown of the intermediate stop along the itinerary.

And there you have it!

Awesome! Now what?

Right, so now you have all the details of your shipping itinerary. Within a few more days, the original WW Logistics tracking site should update to reflect the information you found above. Now go to either VesselFinder.com or (better yet) MarineTraffic.com to look up your ships and track them, in real time! Remeber: use your ship number and not the vessel name to make it easier to find your exact ship.

PRO TIP: check out this page to get an alphabetical list of all ships in the WW fleet and their numerical identifiers. When copying the number code, only copy the numbers into the ship trackers; do not include any letters.

MarineTraffic is especially cool because, like FlightAware which shows airspeed and altitude, MarineTracker shows speed and draft (draught) of the ship. Very cool. EDIT: how to do this is not immediately obvious. First, click on your ship on the map if it's not yet selected. Then click vessel details. Then you'll see the tracking info with detailed information.

So what's the itinerary for our shipment?

Gothenburg --> Zeebrugge on the Tiger (24-26 March)

Zeebrugge --> Port Hueneme (via Southampton and Manzanillo, Panama Canal) on the Elektra (2-26 April)

Who's sailing over with us?!

Enjoy!
      Last edited by crosvs; 03-30-2016 at 01:32 PM.
      As of April 29, 2016:
      2016 Volvo XC90 Inscription
      Crystal White / Blonde / Blonde carpets
      Fully loaded (with HUD)

EDIT: Bought back by Volvo July 2016

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Great work! I miss being able to track my car. Of course the upside to not being able to track is that I get to pick it up in the next week, so there's that.
      Current: XC90 T8, Ember Black Inscription w/ Charcoal Interior (Darth Volvo),
      _______ with Convenience, Vision, B&W, Air Suspension, HUD
      Abandoned, in front of my house: 1992 740 Turbo Wagon

Excellent post! Thanks!
      2016 XC90 T6|Inscription|Osmium Grey on Blonde|B&W|Convenience|Vision|Climate|21" 8 Spoke|HUD|CarPlay

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

NP! You're welcome!
      As of April 29, 2016:
      Fully loaded (with HUD)

CBM did your car just get into port? Mine arrived in Port Hueneme this last Saturday but I haven't seen any updates on when it will be sent to my dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jjaaccee View Post
      CBM did your car just get into port? Mine arrived in Port Hueneme this last Saturday but I haven't seen any updates on when it will be sent to my dealer.
      It landed on 3/14. It takes about a week to get put on a transport and delivered to the dealer. The dealer then needs a couple days to prep it.

Quote Originally Posted by cbm View Post
      It landed on 3/14. It takes about a week to get put on a transport and delivered to the dealer. The dealer then needs a couple days to prep it.
      I mean it depends how far your dealer is from the port, obviously. For us -- SF Bay Area -- I'm assuming it should definitely take less than 1 week from Port Hueneme. One of you I recall was in TX, for which yeah, I agree on 1 week.
      As of April 29, 2016:
      Fully loaded (with HUD)

Quote Originally Posted by crosvs View Post
      I mean it depends how far your dealer is from the port, obviously. For us -- SF Bay Area -- I'm assuming it should definitely take less than 1 week from Port Hueneme. One of you I recall was in TX, for which yeah, I agree on 1 week.
      I'm just guessing here, but I think that when a ship full of cars arrives at port there is a several day process of getting them out of transport mode, updating software, adding port-installed accessories, sorting them into batches to go on transports, and getting them loaded. This delay happens whether or not your car is getting any port-installed accessories. Yeah it's only a day's drive from Port Hueneme to the Bay Area, but there's a fair amount of overhead before that can happen.

My dealer is a little uncertain when my car is showing up. This week for sure, but as of yesterday afternoon, they hadn't seen it. The dealer needs a could days prep, as well. I don't mean to make you nervous, but your timetable is really tight. In your shoes, I would be calling my dealer regularly, stressing my schedule.

I'm just guessing here, but I think that when a ship full of cars arrives at port there is a several day process of getting them out of transport mode, updating software, adding port-installed accessories, sorting them into batches to go on transports, and getting them loaded. This delay happens whether or not your car is getting any port-installed accessories. Yeah it's only a day's drive from Port Hueneme to the Bay Area, but there's a fair amount of overhead before that can happen.

My dealer is a little uncertain when my car is showing up. This week for sure, but as of yesterday afternoon, they hadn't seen it. The dealer needs a could days prep, as well. I don't mean to make you nervous, but your timetable is really tight. In your shoes, I would be calling my dealer regularly, stressing my schedule.
      Agreed. As I've posted elsewhere, our port arrival is April 26 ... and we need to have it by 6pm on May 16th. So yeah, it's definitely going to be close!!
      As of April 29, 2016:
      Fully loaded (with HUD)

My dealer is also in the Bay Area. I got ahold of them yesterday and they said they have a few cars there waiting to be picked up but don't know any time table.
      Last edited by Jjaaccee; 03-23-2016 at 04:03 PM.

My dealer is also in the Bay Area. I got ahold of them yesterday and they said they have a few cars there waiting to be picked up but don't know any time table.
      Ugh. Annoying. OK then let's just all keep each other posted.

I can't remember: any of you with Burlingame? I think one of you, maybe?
      As of April 29, 2016:
      Fully loaded (with HUD)

I just got the call! I get to pick up my T8 tomorrow, any time after 3:00pm, which in my case will be right around 3:01pm.

For those counting, this is exactly ten days from Glorious Leader docking at Port Hueneme. Pretty much right on schedule from the date range given me when I ordered way back in November.

I just got the call! I get to pick up my T8 tomorrow, any time after 3:00pm, which in my case will be right around 3:01pm.

For those counting, this is exactly ten days from Glorious Leader docking at Port Hueneme. Pretty much right on schedule from the date range given me when I ordered way back in November.
      WOOHOO!! Congrats dude, that's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which dealer is this again? Regardless, since you're in the bay area too, they should all be the same. So let's see... if we're 10 days too... that means ... April 26 + 10 = Friday, May 6!! That would get it to us a full week before we need to have it! Man, talk about incredible timing... and 1 week margin for error, this is so awesome!!
      As of April 29, 2016:
      Fully loaded (with HUD)

WOOHOO!! Congrats dude, that's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which dealer is this again? Regardless, since you're in the bay area too, they should all be the same. So let's see... if we're 10 days too... that means ... April 26 + 10 = Friday, May 6!! That would get it to us a full week before we need to have it! Man, talk about incredible timing... and 1 week margin for error, this is so awesome!!
      Thanks. I'm using Lawrence Volvo, in Walnut Creek. They weren't the closest to me, but they seemed to be be about the best of the ones I've been to.

Thanks. I'm using Lawrence Volvo, in Walnut Creek. They weren't the closest to me, but they seemed to be be about the best of the ones I've been to.
      Congrats!!!
      2016 XC90 T6|Inscription|Osmium Grey on Blonde|B&W|Convenience|Vision|Climate|21" 8 Spoke|HUD|CarPlay

I used Lawrence Volvo also. Great dealer. I called the shipping broker on Thursday and they told me that my car got pulled for inspection so it is being held a little longer than expected. Then she told me that Customs takes Good Friday off and the weekends off. She said it should be released sometime next week. ersevere:

Mine should have been on the same truck as yours if I didn't get pulled for inspection. How long did it take Lawrence Volvo to prepare your car for you once they got it?

Mine should have been on the same truck as yours if I didn't get pulled for inspection. How long did it take Lawrence Volvo to prepare your car for you once they got it?
      We're you on Glorious Leader? (In port on 3/14/16). It took ten days from port to pickup. I'm not sure when it got to Lawrence, but they said that it usually takes a couple days to go over it and make sure that all the latest and greatest SW is loaded.

My guy at Lawrence called me today (while I was driving, natch) to check that everything was all right, and to ask me if I had any questions or needed any other help. They seem to be a very solid dealership. It's been a totally painless transaction.
      Last edited by cbm; 03-26-2016 at 06:59 PM.

No it was on the 19th so I guess it is probly on schedule. The shipping broker just sounded like it should have been through customs already.

One thing I thought curious, is that my car seemed to have cleared customs couple days out, while it was en route between the Panama Canal and Port Hueneme. I have a friend who works for US customs and he said that sometimes a big ship of cars like this will just get it's manifest looked over and cleared based on that.

Interesting how many bay area owners here. My closest dealers are Palo Alto and San Jose both are sub par in their own ways. Last car I ordered from Santa Rosa, this time i'm trying roadster and getting the car delivered to my house and not dealing with the dealers.

The Bay Area has always been a hotbed of Volvo activity.

I started with the Fresno dealer to inquire about the XC90 and had a bad experience and ended up going with Walnut Creek because they seemed really experience with OSD which I just came back from in February and they did a great job of getting me set up for that. Will definitely use William Mark's from Lawrence Volvo next time as well.

Great posts. I can add that with MarineTraffc and possibly others, you can even check the actual and/or forecast winds. This is not for the light-hearted particularly if there are major weather systems moving across (e.g., the Atlantic). My ship's original planned route changed (I think) where it left Liverpool, and went northerly around Scotland on its way to Halifax. The winds were "gale force"in places which was making me cringe. The high seas also resulted in the journey being delayed a couple of days. Being an aircraft pilot, I cannot help myself from watching the weather.

Anyway, I too wish everyone "calm seas".
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 14 Nov 2019 | 43K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

Several years ago there was a transport ship carrying mostly Volvos that went down in the English Channel, although it was a collision, and not weather to blame, IIRC. I can't imagine how much that would suck if you were tracking progress and it went to a watery grave.

Here's to clear sailing, everybody.

Yes, it was the Tricolor disaster. You can Google about it. Interesting pictures.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      Yes, it was the Tricolor disaster. You can Google about it. Interesting pictures.
      Wow. INSANE. Nuts. And yeah, it's the exact same route our cars will be taking: from Zeegrube to Southampton before crossing the Atlantic!!
      As of April 29, 2016:
      Fully loaded (with HUD)

I got a call today from my shipping broker that my car cleared customs and volvo can pick it up from the port. On the tracking Web site it says "delivered from." Does this mean it is on its way to the dealer from the port or just that customs at the port has released it?

The vessel that is carrying my car has been out of range for 8 hours. It is currently crossing the Atlantic. Is it normal to be out of range. It hasn't happened before this, so slightly concerned maybe something happened to the ship?

Quote Originally Posted by bizzy045 View Post
      The vessel that is carrying my car has been out of range for 8 hours. It is currently crossing the Atlantic. Is it normal to be out of range. It hasn't happened before this, so slightly concerned maybe something happened to the ship?
      Haha I wouldn't worry; I think this is normal.
      As of April 29, 2016:
      Fully loaded (with HUD)

Haha. I refresh every hour or so. It does look like when it is crossing deep clean it does not send it location. So this is definitely normal.

Car hits the port early Monday morning. Good news is that it has already been marked as customs release and liner release. Has anyone else had these status updates before car officially reaches port?

Quote Originally Posted by bizzy045 View Post
      Car hits the port early Monday morning. Good news is that it has already been marked as customs release and liner release. Has anyone else had these status updates before car officially reaches port?
      That happened to my car as well. I have a friend who works for customs and he says that it's pretty common.

I finally received my car on Thursday, unfortunately from when it hit port until it was in my possession was 18 days ?

That happened to my car as well. I have a friend who works for customs and he says that it's pretty common.
      Great. Thanks.

I finally received my car on Thursday, unfortunately from when it hit port until it was in my possession was 18 days ?
      wow..that is a long time..I think the vehicle transporting cars has to be full before it leaves the port..so this can vary greatly. I hope I don't have to wait that long!

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast