I leased an S60 Inscription
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

I leased an S60 Inscription

There are plenty of interesting threads created by owners of some of the most desirable Volvos - Polestars, R-Designs, Rs - but my new car is a rare breed because of it's country of origin. The '16 S60 Inscription is the first serious automobile to be built in China and exported for sale in the US. I say "serious" because it's not positioned as a bargain model, it is instead positioned as the high lux version of the S60 midsize sedan.

This question of when/if Volvo would be exporting cars to the US from their Chinese operation and how they would be received has come up many times here and it's clear that there are some strongly held opinions, but to the best of my knowledge nobody has posted about their experience with a car they actually own. So I'll provide my own experiences in the hope that others will find it of interest and a valuable contribution to the community.

The Car
      2016 S60 Inscription T5 AWD Platinum with Climate and BLIS, Osmium Grey with Soft Beige interior. This car has every option I could want, with the exception of the heated windshield which for some reason is not available on the Inscription. My previous S60 was a Premier Plus, pretty well equipped but this car puts it to shame.

Naturally it rained.

There are some pretty nice standard features that were not on my previous '13 S60, some of which are not available on any other version. I'm particularly fond of the upgraded Sensus which now includes a TuneIn app for internet radio stations (suck it Sirius), and the 18" Titania wheels. My parents, who we take on an annual summer trip to Cape Cod, will surely appreciate the larger back seat (+3" of legroom), heated rear seats, and sun shades on the back and side windows. I find the 2-tone interior design to be very attractive. My last car was also soft beige leather, and everything was beige except the upper dash and steering wheel. This car, while described as soft beige, has black carpets, dash, and door panels, with beige seats and door inserts. I expect it will be easier to keep clean and still provide most of the benefits of a light interior (open airy feeling. The Sport seats are standard, and include power lumbar control. The Modern wood trim is also very attractive, not shiny/plasticky like in other S60s I've seen.

Interior design

The Deal
      My previous car was a '13 S60 T5 AWD Premier Plus with Climate. I loved it and had planned to buy it at the end of the lease, but, to make a long story short, the sales manager at my dealer called and told me I could get a new version for a bit less than I was currently paying, $1,000 or less due at signing.

I decided to give him a chance but wanted to get a Platinum trim car for the lower payment. After talking about V60 T5 AWD Platinum (unobtainable), V60 CC (too pricey), and the S60 CC that's been on the lot since last summer (still too pricey), he offered the Inscription, which could be had with all the equipment I cared about and more, for the price I wanted.

I was of course skeptical. I was well aware that the S60 Inscription was imported from China, and despite my open-minded stand on globalism I wasn't sure I wanted to have one of the first examples. But, bolstered by assurances from my salesman (his wife is driving one) that it was the same or better quality as the Euro built cars, I took a test drive...and didn't find any reason to worry. He went looking for my color preference and secured one which was due in right around the end of my lease.

In the end I was able to reduce my monthly payment by $25 on a car with an MSRP almost $10,000 higher than the old one, with tire/wheel and key packages included. The price of the car was about $2,200 under invoice.

Some have said that the only way dealers could sell these cars would be to heavily discount them. This seems like a good deal to me, so maybe there's some truth to that. But it's still a $40k+ car. This dealer has 16 S60 Inscriptions listed on their web site so they're clearly motivated to sell some, and Volvo is providing significant support.

Dealer Experience
      There's been a lot of noise in the XC90 section about the quality of the dealers. This dealer recently completed a modest remodel of their showroom, added some funky Swedish furniture, and generally spruced up. I've always been treated well whether I was looking for a $15k used car or a $48k new car. But there have been some changes that were not obvious from just walking through the showroom or waiting around for an oil change.

The last 2 purchases I made here were with the "internet" salesman and were very easy. Most communication was done by email, no pressure. The guy has moved on, and this time around I worked with the sales manager, Jeff Barsom. The initial discussion was great, consultative approach, no pressure, very respectful of my time and preferences. Spent one hour on a Saturday morning at the dealership plus a few emails and that's all the time I invested until delivery, not counting my obsessive research of course.

When I arrived at the appointed time the car was in the showroom waiting. After small talk I was introduced to the Finance Mgr. I was immediately on guard because previous transactions had been handled by my salesman, without any F&I nonsense.

My fears were unfounded. Ben Bright pulled out an iPad Pro and showed me the new app they use to handle the transaction. It had a summary of the pricing and lease details we had already agreed on, in fact it was about $500 better than I was expecting. We then walked to his office where this app was projected on a large LCD TV. He pointed out that there was a video camera in the room, probably more for the dealer's protection than for me, but it was interesting. Since he didn't leave me hanging around it certainly wasn't for spying on me. While he poked at his computer, we watched a short video which described the optional packages we could choose to add, including the total and monthly price of each.

I've never bought anything from a dealer F&I guy in my life, and sometimes it's an uncomfortable, time wasting conversation. In this case, I went for the wheel/tire protection and key replacement. Both added a total of about $30/month, and I think it's money well spent. Those pretty wheels look delicate, and my family has a lost key panic once a month. It took about 10 minutes before we were signing the contract and heading back to the car. It was quick, easy, and a win-win.

Since I've never bought a Mercedes or BMW, I can't say whether this stacks up or not. I was not offered a Latte, but I wouldn't have had time to drink it anyway. It's hard for me to imagine a more positive transaction.

Quality
      So this is the big question. Sure, it seems like it's up to Volvo's quality standards, but will that prove out in the long run? I can't predict the future, so only time will tell, and of course I'm protected by the warranty and the fact that, at lease end, I know exactly what the residual value will be ($24,505). If I have trouble I can always just turn it in, which is probably what I'll do anyway so I can get a new '19 S60 on the SPA platform.

For now, I can report (after only 1 day and 40 miles of ownership) that:

It does not creak or rattle at all. My old car, after 37k miles, was starting to creak a little around the plastic bits.

Fit and finish seem to be perfect. I see no irregularities. When the weather allows I'll hand wash and wax it, and take a closer look. The interior details, as evidenced by the lovely wood trim on the center console, are very pleasing (despite the dust speck).

Console detail.

And make no mistake, this car is not just assembled in China, the majority of the content as stated on the window sticker is from China, including the engine (transmission is of course from Japan).

US/Canadian Parts Content: 1%
      China: 55%
      Sweden: 10%

It's like an iPhone. Designed in Sweden, made in China.

From a safety standpoint, IIHS does not differentiate this model from the rest of the S60/V60 lineup, and really why should they, since the structure is the same. All the tech features seem to work fine, the LKA and collision warning are already starting to annoy me and I may very well just turn them off. The rear view camera and ACC are just awesome.

So, I'll just continue getting to know this car, hopefully take it on a nice road trip soon, and keep a careful watch for problems, just like I did with my previous car. And if I have any noteworthy issues, I'll share them here.
      2007 C70 T5 Magic Blue
      Previous:
      2016 S60I, 2013 S60, 2003 XC70, 2002 V70, 1998 S70

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Congrats! Looking forward to hearing updates as you put some miles on. I am sure you will find no difference, and when all cars are made in China you can tell the grandkids you had one of the first ones.
      2013 S60 T5 AWD, 100,000+ miles in 14 states, Premier Plus, Beechwood Leather, Climate, BLIS, NJORD Rims Caspian Blue Metallic, Pirelli P7 Cinturato Plus
      Previous: 2017 Nissan 370z Sport, 2009 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0T & 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

Very nice! This is how the S60 should have been proportioned from the beginning IMO. And I'm just as curious how the Chinese-built cars will hold up compared to the Euro ones. I don't care so much that it's coming from China (although I admit that it do care to some degree) so much as that it's coming from a new production facility and success here will be a good sign for the new Charleston, SC plant. I really want US-built Volvos hit the mark on quality so that I can buy one.
      Current Proof of Insanity: 2014 XC70 3.2 AWD Premier, Flamenco Red/Soft Beige, Heated Everything
      Past Proof of Insanity (except the first one):1985 745, 1998 S70, 2009 V70, 2015.5 S60

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Congrats on the car! I'm a little jealous, I was hoping to get an Inscription myself but on the day I drove one, the dealer also had me drive the T5 R-Design. I was really surprised how peppier the R-Design felt and the wife and I started to discuss it (since I was going to give up a V8 S80), she wanted a smaller more fuel efficient car and I wanted a quicker car (other is a hybrid), we ended up with the R-Design. I've been a fan of the FWD Inscription with the 19" wheels, it was so darn supple for a car with 19s compared to the R-D. Sounds like you got a good deal on it as well even with the extra packages, that's a big win! I'm looking forward to hearing your experience with it.
      Current - 2016 S60 T5 R-Design Special Edition
      Gone - 2007 Volvo S80 V8 - we barely got to know each other

The console looks really great. as does the car on the whole.

I struggle with the proportions of the current "regular" s60, and though I'm a wagon guy myself, the inscriptions do look really nice.
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

My brother leased one last week. "One day sale" with $10K off MSRP. They bought him out of his XC 90 3 months early. Platinum, Climate, Blis, adaptive cruise, ABL, heated rear seats, heated steering, Xenons. $1,500 down, $390 x 36.
      15.5 S60 Premier, BLIS.
      II Kings 9:20-"The driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he driveth furiously."

A car being made in China is different than an iphone or a toy.

The whole production line design/machines/materials is defined by Volvo Sweden. I think the only real difference is Chinese workers are on the line instead of Swedish workers.

The real question, which I feel will have the greatest impact and contribution to differences is whether management/supervision of the line/QA/QC is physically performed by Volvo Sweden employees every day or by Chinese.

Does anyone know?
      Last edited by johnee; 04-01-2016 at 02:50 PM.
      -
      - XC60 T5 Drive-E MY-2015.5 Savile Grey Platinum w/ BLIS, Blond/Black Sport seats, Heated front. OSD -

Congrats! Very sharp S60! This is the P3 S60 Volvo should have built from the beginning.

Now, how do I get those metal trimmed door buttons and trim ring around the central vent/screen area?
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current
      ’18 V90 T6 AWD R-Design | '18 V90 CC T6 AWD Ocean Race Edition
      '05 CLK55 AMG Vert

Prior Volvo's
      '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 ORE Plat | '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat |’07 S40 T5

Quote Originally Posted by s6013t5 View Post
      Congrats! Looking forward to hearing updates as you put some miles on. I am sure you will find no difference, and when all cars are made in China you can tell the grandkids you had one of the first ones.
      Thank you. I hope that day is many years in the future, I'm in no hurry for grandkids.

Quote Originally Posted by zircular
      Very nice! This is how the S60 should have been proportioned from the beginning IMO. And I'm just as curious how the Chinese-built cars will hold up compared to the Euro ones. I don't care so much that it's coming from China (although I admit that it do care to some degree) so much as that it's coming from a new production facility and success here will be a good sign for the new Charleston, SC plant. I really want US-built Volvos hit the mark on quality so that I can buy one.
      Thanks...I'm surprised at how much different it looks from my old one, the extra length must subtly change the arc of the rear window/trunk, and the wheels certainly are an improvement. I too have mixed feelings about the new Chinese plant, and I am looking forward to visiting the US plant someday soon.

Quote Originally Posted by waynerm002
      Congrats on the car! I'm a little jealous, I was hoping to get an Inscription myself but on the day I drove one, the dealer also had me drive the T5 R-Design. I was really surprised how peppier the R-Design felt and the wife and I started to discuss it (since I was going to give up a V8 S80), she wanted a smaller more fuel efficient car and I wanted a quicker car (other is a hybrid), we ended up with the R-Design. I've been a fan of the FWD Inscription with the 19" wheels, it was so darn supple for a car with 19s compared to the R-D. Sounds like you got a good deal on it as well even with the extra packages, that's a big win! I'm looking forward to hearing your experience with it.
      Thank you. I may have gone for an R-Design if offered, hard to say no to extra horsepower. I'm sure you won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Young Satchel
      The console looks really great. as does the car on the whole.

I struggle with the proportions of the current "regular" s60, and though I'm a wagon guy myself, the inscriptions do look really nice.
      I went in thinking I wanted a wagon, and with talk on here about extra incentives I thought I would end up with one, but there weren't any available Platinum V60s, and there were Inscriptions, so, another sedan. Definitely a wagon next time.

Quote Originally Posted by II Kings
      My brother leased one last week. "One day sale" with $10K off MSRP. They bought him out of his XC 90 3 months early. Platinum, Climate, Blis, adaptive cruise, ABL, heated rear seats, heated steering, Xenons. $1,500 down, $390 x 36.
      That must have been a heck of a sale! How does he like it?

Quote Originally Posted by johnee
      A car being made in China is different than an iphone or a toy.

The whole production line design/machines/materials is defined by Volvo Sweden. I think the only real difference is Chinese workers are on the line instead of Swedish workers.

The real question, which I feel will have the greatest impact and contribution to differences is whether management/supervision of the line/QA/QC is physically performed by Volvo Sweden employees every day or by Chinese.

Does anyone know?
      Yes I oversimplified with the iPhone analogy. There are a couple videos about the Chinese plant, and there are plenty of Swedes on hand. But since Geely is the ultimate owner, I expect that there will be (if it hasn't happened already) a gradual transition. Here's one I found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeAPO2kcoEI

Quote Originally Posted by BMO Pete
      Congrats! Very sharp S60! This is the P3 S60 Volvo should have built from the beginning.

Now, how do I get those metal trimmed door buttons and trim ring around the central vent/screen area?
      Thanks. I never noticed the absent trim ring around the center screen until that Polestar review video...I think it looks much better, and I like the other interior details too. Seems like you should eventually be able to order them, but I couldn't get the all-weather mats with my car because they are backordered - they're specific to the Inscription because of the larger rear footwells. Probably the same story on all the other bits.
      2007 C70 T5 Magic Blue
      Previous:

Why does it look better?

I'll admit that I didn't pay too much attention to post 2013 S60s because I knew I had to stick with mine till the lease was up. No sense getting myself all excited about, for instance, the 2014 refresh. But after several people expressed their opinion that the S60i is the version that should have been offered all along, I have to agree that it does look better than my old car but couldn't put my finger on exactly why. So I found 2 comparable images, one of a 2013 S60 and the other of a 2016 S60 Inscription. I could have used a 2014 (refreshed) S60, but I think the differences are more noticeable this way.

Top: 2013 S60
      Bottom: 2016 S60i

First, the 2014 refresh flattened the hood out a bit and integrated the headlights so that the newer (bottom) car has a bit more gravitas forward of the A pillar. The larger wheels also add to this affect, but this would be true for all 2014+ S60s.

The difference on the Inscription is really found in the rear, where it was stretched about 3" as we know.

A - Not only is the rear door longer, the swoosh is also longer and deeper, with curvature which mimics the roofline. The new car looks less wedge shaped than the older one.

B - The angle between the arc of the roof/rear window line and the fender shoulder line is smaller, lending more of a fastback look.

C - With the rear wheel arch moved farther back, the seam of the bumper cover is much more upright, and the bumper tucks more neatly under the tail lights.
      2007 C70 T5 Magic Blue
      Previous:

I wish I could say mine had extra power, it doesn't however, there is something different in how they tuned it to make it more responsive than the other Drive-E equipped T5s. I put in in sport the other day and floored it to get ahead of some traffic to get to an on ramp and that thing went faster than I was expecting! I can only wonder what the T6 Drive E AWD R-Design feels like! Now, I gotta go drive one. I'm thinking the sport package on the Inscription must be different than R-Design and I really like the way it rides with it's 19" wheels, I've had to drop the pressure to 34 psi to get a comfortable ride. With the way temps have been lately, they are probably back at 38 when driven for a bit. in a coupe of month, we will begin to see the 2017s, the leftover Inscriptions should start selling at a greatly reduced price.

Quote Originally Posted by waynerm002 View Post
      I wish I could say mine had extra power, it doesn't however, there is something different in how they tuned it to make it more responsive than the other Drive-E equipped T5s.
      I still don't think that's true. Possible but there's no evidence that points in that direction.
      Last edited by SilverRubicon; 04-04-2016 at 07:24 PM.
      2016 Volvo V60 T5 Platinum
      Onyx Black/Beechwood/Sport Package

Go take them for a drive and give us your opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After about 2 weeks and 500 miles I'm very happy with the car.

A couple of oddities (not really problems):

This car does not have the lane change feature for the directionals...that's when it blinks 3x after you bump the lever one way or the other.
      Edit: It does, I just turned it off in Car Settings (triple indicator) not realizing what it was.

I also noticed that the texture of the leather on the steering wheel is a little different, when my hands slide over it it sounds like I'm sliding my hand across a piece of paper, kind of loud. I treated it with the (complimentary) leather cleaning/conditioning wipes and it may be a little better.

High points:

Heated steering wheel - gets quite warm very quickly
      Sport seats - warmer and faster to heat up that last car, very comfy
      HK audio - sounds very good aside from the potential door vibration if anything is in the door pocket
      Volvo On Call app reminding me that I left the car unlocked

Everything else works as expected.
      Last edited by Northeast; 04-18-2016 at 12:40 PM.
      2007 C70 T5 Magic Blue
      Previous:

The reason the steering wheel feels different from your 2013 has to do with a change Volvo made in 2015. They stopped using hide leather and switched to a bonded leather. Basically ground up leftovers that are molded back together. I have about 8500 miles on mine and it has already started to peel after only four months. However, I'm sure it would be covered under warranty.

As with all other 2015+ S60s and XC60s I have noticed that the door panels vibrate even if nothing is in the pocket. After comparing them to a 2012 S60 I realized that they remolded the pocket and used a much harder plastic and that is what vibrates and totally ruins the stereo. However, a $3 block of hard foam, in each pocket, from Wal-Mart did the trick.

Edit: Volvo has also changed the speaker grills. One of the things that attracted me to Volvo back when I first got my S60R was the quality of the stereo. It was not like any other system, stock or aftermarket, I have ever heard before. I am sure not too many people would notice this but the grills that used to be metal (much better for sound quality and vibration) are now plastic (the opposite of much better). I also miss the ability from the C30, 40, 50, 70, and mid design 80 with Dynaudio systems, to adjust the rear equalizer and the front equalizer separately. It made the surround better because you could jack up the base in the back where there was very little on max surround and fine tune the fronts for the mids and highs. It created a truly phenomenal sound experience. Its the only reason I keep my C30 around.

The S60I does have some odd quirks about it compared to other Volvos I have owned/driven in the past.

1. When parked with the car running after about five minuted there is some sort of thumping coming from underneath. It is not very loud and I was told by the dealership that it was normal. I don't think so but its a lease so as long as I'm not stranded its not my problem.
      2. Volvo did not make all weather mats for this model when I purchased and I bought a set not even thinking about the extra room in the rear footwells and they didn't fit. However, I don't sit back there and neither does anybody else so I used the front ones and sold the rear ones on eBay.
      3. No heated windshield on the Inscription and Climate Package is basically the same price as S60s with climate manufactured in Sweden.
      4. Titanias come with literally the worst tires out of Volvos entire line-up. They are worthless in the snow. A set of Michelin X-Ice tires fixed that.
      5. Similar to Honda in the early 2000s Volvo, in the I's, are using Chinese window regulators and it seemingly takes forever for the windows to go up and down.

But, regardless of it's quirks, where they got me with the Inscription was the the lease price. For the same options on a standard S60 I was at $602 per month. In the Inscription, $435 tax included with zero down and no trade. Thats impressive for Volvo.
      Last edited by Sensus15; 04-24-2016 at 06:10 PM.
      CURRENT
      2018 Audi S7
      2018 Volvo XC90 R-Design w/ B&W, AIR, HUD

"Hakan Samuelsson, Volvo Cars' chief executive, said this month that the company wants to start a conversation about whether car makers have the right or maybe even the obligation to install technology in cars that changes their owners' behavior. Now that such technology is available to use, this question becomes even more important."

Sensus15 - interesting comments. I sincerely hope the steering wheel does not peel.

The all weather mats for my car were on backorder but I got them last week. The Windows seem to move at a normal speed.
      2007 C70 T5 Magic Blue
      Previous:

Quote Originally Posted by Sensus15 View Post
      The reason the steering wheel feels different from your 2013 has to do with a change Volvo made in 2015. They stopped using hide leather and switched to a bonded leather. Basically ground up leftovers that are molded back together. I have about 8500 miles on mine and it has already started to peel after only four months. However, I'm sure it would be covered under warranty.

As with all other 2015+ S60s and XC60s I have noticed that the door panels vibrate even if nothing is in the pocket. After comparing them to a 2012 S60 I realized that they remolded the pocket and used a much harder plastic and that is what vibrates and totally ruins the stereo. However, a $3 block of hard foam, in each pocket, from Wal-Mart did the trick.

Edit: Volvo has also changed the speaker grills. One of the things that attracted me to Volvo back when I first got my S60R was the quality of the stereo. It was not like any other system, stock or aftermarket, I have ever heard before. I am sure not too many people would notice this but the grills that used to be metal (much better for sound quality and vibration) are now plastic (the opposite of much better). I also miss the ability from the C30, 40, 50, 70, and mid design 80 with Dynaudio systems, to adjust the rear equalizer and the front equalizer separately. It made the surround better because you could jack up the base in the back where there was very little on max surround and fine tune the fronts for the mids and highs. It created a truly phenomenal sound experience. Its the only reason I keep my C30 around.

The S60I does have some odd quirks about it compared to other Volvos I have owned/driven in the past.

1. When parked with the car running after about five minuted there is some sort of thumping coming from underneath. It is not very loud and I was told by the dealership that it was normal. I don't think so but its a lease so as long as I'm not stranded its not my problem.
      2. Volvo did not make all weather mats for this model when I purchased and I bought a set not even thinking about the extra room in the rear footwells and they didn't fit. However, I don't sit back there and neither does anybody else so I used the front ones and sold the rear ones on eBay.
      3. No heated windshield on the Inscription and Climate Package is basically the same price as S60s with climate manufactured in Sweden.
      4. Titanias come with literally the worst tires out of Volvos entire line-up. They are worthless in the snow. A set of Michelin X-Ice tires fixed that.
      5. Similar to Honda in the early 2000s Volvo, in the I's, are using Chinese window regulators and it seemingly takes forever for the windows to go up and down.

But, regardless of it's quirks, where they got me with the Inscription was the the lease price. For the same options on a standard S60 I was at $602 per month. In the Inscription, $435 tax included with zero down and no trade. Thats impressive for Volvo.
      Number 1 is normal, and has been discussed here before for all of these cars. Its something to do with the emissions system after shut down. If you park in a garage it can sound even louder.
      2013 S60 T5 AWD, 100,000+ miles in 14 states, Premier Plus, Beechwood Leather, Climate, BLIS, NJORD Rims Caspian Blue Metallic, Pirelli P7 Cinturato Plus
      Previous: 2017 Nissan 370z Sport, 2009 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0T & 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

I just got the first maintenance reminder from the car and was able to have the dealer contact me through Sensus.

I am also beginning to get a clunking sound from the front end when I turn the wheel left and right. I already had it to the dealership and they could not duplicate the problem. It is intermittent and usually the car has to be driven for a bit before it starts. For example if driving around town for 20 or 30 minutes I get nothing. I drove from my house in Northeast PA to New York City and then to Philadelphia and by then time I got to PHL the sound was loud and obnoxious. Every wheel turn even slightly made a clunk or whenever I went over a bump in the road. I think it is a bad lower control arm bushing but the dealership says it isn't. Could it be a failure in the adjustable steering force system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      CURRENT
      2018 Audi S7

"Hakan Samuelsson, Volvo Cars' chief executive, said this month that the company wants to start a conversation about whether car makers have the right or maybe even the obligation to install technology in cars that changes their owners' behavior. Now that such technology is available to use, this question becomes even more important."

Also, I have noticed the few times I have used the fob to unlock the doors that the ventilation fan activates then when I pull on the door handle and open the door it shuts off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      CURRENT
      2018 Audi S7

Disappointing.
      His: 2016 Focus ST
      Hers: 2018 S90 T5
      Past Volvos: 2014 S60 K-PAX GT5 with KPAX GTR brake kit, ELEVATE turbo intake pipe, ELEVATE intake manifold; 2009 C30 T5 R-Design; 2005 S40 2.4i; 1998 S70 T5

Quote Originally Posted by JC30 View Post
      Disappointing.
      For as bad as it sounds, I test drove a C Class and an A4 before deciding and I still prefer the Volvo. With the Mercedes it was all ascetics and poor quality. I felt the A4 nickel and dimmed you for the options. I am a long time Volvo driver and unlike with other brands the dealerships and Volvo, for now, seem to be receptive to that when there are service issues or when buying. Any car can have problems I'd rather be helped when they arise.
      CURRENT
      2018 Audi S7

Quote Originally Posted by Sensus15 View Post
      For as bad as it sounds, I test drove a C Class and an A4 before deciding and I still prefer the Volvo. With the Mercedes it was all ascetics and poor quality. I felt the A4 nickel and dimmed you for the options. I am a long time Volvo driver and unlike with other brands the dealerships and Volvo, for now, seem to be receptive to that when there are service issues or when buying. Any car can have problems I'd rather be helped when they arise.
      I'm in agreement, although I could care less for all the hoopla surrounding luxury anymore. I really enjoy driving the car and its driving characteristics most. I've done some things to improve this and hope to continue into the future. Despite the other quirks the main thing that pisses me off about mine is the stupid MP3 formatting issue and the car's inability to read songs. I never had issues like this with my BMW. I have to encode all my music now which then the car seems to reorganize by its own will. This pisses me off more than the random rattles or sounds elsewhere in the cabin.

To each their own. Good thing you still like the car.
      His: 2016 Focus ST
      Hers: 2018 S90 T5
      Past Volvos: 2014 S60 K-PAX GT5 with KPAX GTR brake kit, ELEVATE turbo intake pipe, ELEVATE intake manifold; 2009 C30 T5 R-Design; 2005 S40 2.4i; 1998 S70 T5

Not much to report lately, just been enjoying the car. Gas mileage even seems to be better than with the previous car, no explanation for that. I discovered that I can reduce the distance alert sensitivity so I'm not tempted to turn it off. As much as I like my internet radio stations, I find myself falling back on Sirius due to outages and slow Sensus performance. I doubt I'll be willing to pay for VOC or data.

Then...

After 5 months and 4500 miles I had to visit the dealer service department. One morning last week the car was slow to start, and when it did start, the CEL was on and the message "reduced engine performance" was displayed in the cluster. I circled the block, checked fluids, and plugged in my code reader - crankshaft position sensor! Having lost 2 engines on my 03 XC70 to timing belt mishaps I was nervous since this car has the same 5 cyl engine. I called the dealer and spoke to one of the service advisors who knows me, explained what was happening and asked if it was safe to drive it. He said it was safe, so I crossed my fingers and it started right away. No message this time but the CEL was still on. I took the first available appointment to get it checked out. For the next few days everything was normal. The CEL went out but I didn't clear the code.

When the car arrived at the dealership they hooked it up to VIDA and opened a case with Volvo. They checked for loose connections and used a borascope to check for damage. After exhausting all the checks they replaced the crankshaft position sensor itself. I picked up the car and it runs fine. I expect that will be the end of that problem. I was happy to get an XC60 loaner, which made the experience more palatable.

Otherwise the car has been great.
      2007 C70 T5 Magic Blue
      Previous:

Smile I also just brought my S60 Inscription home

Thanks to a grandma with undiagnosed dementia (poor lady) who had to sell it back once she was diagnosed by the doctor, I got a used 2016 S60 inscription with 900 miles on it. Basically it's new with a used car price.

My only complaints thus far:
      • The Harmon Kardon system causes the driver door to rattle with heavy bass. I think this is a standard problem with this sound system.
      • I wish the adaptive cruise control could see brake lights like I do, unfortunately it can only see decreasing distance. I think this is a technological limit not a Volvo issue.
      • Every few days I'll catch the throttle at a weird time and the transmission with kick you in butt as it engages. Not a huge issue but I wish Volvo would release a SW update to fix this.
      • The mirrors do tilt down when you reverse - awesome feature, but I wish I could adjust the tilt down position.
      • The navigation voice is pretty dated. Google and Apple have much better natural speech sound.
      • I wish the lumbar support was vertically adjustable like in the A4

Quote Originally Posted by svenskbilarLGH View Post
      Thanks to a grandma with undiagnosed dementia (poor lady) who had to sell it back once she was diagnosed by the doctor, I got a used 2016 S60 inscription with 900 miles on it. Basically it's new with a used car price.

• The Harmon Kardon system causes the driver door to rattle with heavy bass. I think this is a standard problem with this sound system.
      • I wish the adaptive cruise control could see brake lights like I do, unfortunately it can only see decreasing distance. I think this is a technological limit not a Volvo issue.
      • Every few days I'll catch the throttle at a weird time and the transmission with kick you in butt as it engages. Not a huge issue but I wish Volvo would release a SW update to fix this.
      • The mirrors do tilt down when you reverse - awesome feature, but I wish I could adjust the tilt down position.
      • The navigation voice is pretty dated. Google and Apple have much better natural speech sound.
      • I wish the lumbar support was vertically adjustable like in the A4

Very nice car!

That's a new twist on the "Grandma story" but sounds like it worked out well for you. I agree that the ACC sometimes disregards brake lights that would cause me to slow down and it does take some getting used to, but I think it's one of those features that, once you've gotten used to it, you won't want a car without it.
      2007 C70 T5 Magic Blue
      Previous:

Quote Originally Posted by svenskbilarLGH View Post

ACC doesn't need to look at brake lights. The radar sensor tells the ACC system exactly how far away something is in front of you each time it sends a pulse, which means it can tell if a car is slowing down or speeding up.

That radar system information is much more accurate than even your eyes.

I think you're probably a little uneasy with how Volvo engineers are using the radar data to control acceleration.
      -
      - XC60 T5 Drive-E MY-2015.5 Savile Grey Platinum w/ BLIS, Blond/Black Sport seats, Heated front. OSD -

This is an old post but wondering how Northeast feels about his car now that the lease is ending in a few months (been 32 months since this thread started). I ran across this thread investigating if it was possible to add heated steering to my 2016 S60 Inscription and thanks to the pictures provided I now know I can. With the new 2019 S60 all over the internet it makes me wonder if you are going to trade in the 16' for a new 19' or buy the 16'.

I financed my 16' and still love it. i really do like what Volvo did with the 19' and really like the wagon - but still think my 16' is a great car and it has treated me well.

Quote Originally Posted by Northeast View Post
      After about 2 weeks and 500 miles I'm very happy with the car.

A couple of oddities (not really problems):

This car does not have the lane change feature for the directionals...that's when it blinks 3x after you bump the lever one way or the other.
      Edit: It does, I just turned it off in Car Settings (triple indicator) not realizing what it was.

I also noticed that the texture of the leather on the steering wheel is a little different, when my hands slide over it it sounds like I'm sliding my hand across a piece of paper, kind of loud. I treated it with the (complimentary) leather cleaning/conditioning wipes and it may be a little better.

High points:

Heated steering wheel - gets quite warm very quickly
      Sport seats - warmer and faster to heat up that last car, very comfy
      HK audio - sounds very good aside from the potential door vibration if anything is in the door pocket
      Volvo On Call app reminding me that I left the car unlocked

Everything else works as expected.
      My dad was interested in one but the steering wheel was cheaper feeling then at the time the car he wanted which was the 2015.5 S80 T6 Inscription.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommm View Post
      Showing up at the track in mommy's old station wagon will not make you cool.
      Now 2011 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD Executive, Luxury Package. Multimedia Package. Premium Electric Silver/Soft Beige. 112K. (2011-)
      2011 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD. Climate Package. Rear Park Assist Camera. Technology Package. Exterior Styling Kit. Premium Electric Silver/Sandsoft Beige. 100K. (2011-)

Then 2005 Volvo S40 2.4i. Sport Package. Climate Package. Convenience Package. Black/Dark Beige. (2005-2010)
      2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD. Premium Package. Versatility Package. Convenience Package. Climate Package. Titanium Gray Metallic/Light Taupe.(2005-2011)

My Photography Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lomaarts/

Wrap up

Time to turn it in: Conclusions

In a few weeks the S60i will be turned in at the end of the 39 month lease. I'll wind this thread up by saying that other than the previously reported sensor problem (fixed under warranty) and needing to replace a couple tires early due to alignment issues (potholes), I haven't had another problem with the car. Not one. In my experience the quality is as good as, or better, than any of the Euro assembled models.

A few comments

Aside from the quality of the car, I will say that I didn't enjoy it as much as the previous '13 s60 T5 AWD. I think this is due mostly to
      * the electric steering versus the prior hydraulic
      * The Sport seats, to me, are not as comfortable as the previous version
      * The transmission programming, while smoother overall, is too slow to down shift in normal mode, and Sport mode doesn't seem to help. In the previous car there was a night and day difference between normal and sport, and it never hesitated to skip down when asked, even if there was the occasional rough shift.
      * HK audio nothing special, sometimes downright annoying

Residual value on this car was pretty optimistic at around $25k, but actual market value probably is only $20, so not a good candidate for a lease buy out even though I'm 11k miles under my allowance.

Our circumstances have also changed significantly since acquiring this car, we moved across the country (from the north east to suburban Denver)and my wife and I both have new jobs. We live in a building where we have to pay for parking spots, and we have a short no-highway commute, riding together most of the time. This means that, of the 3 cars we have, we only drive one of them regularly. Also, it's not nearly as much fun to drive here in the big city, and the extra height of an SUV is welcome due to the many large/high riding vehicles and crazy traffic.

So, the S60i will be turned in, and we don't plan to replace it, keeping our c70 for fun and backup, and an '18 Jeep Cherokee we bought about a year ago as the workhorse. Honestly, though it certainly isn't what you'd call fancy, the Cherokee fits our needs well. I appreciate the room, the seating position, and the additional cargo space. We were able to get all of the conveniences we enjoyed in our Volvos, and it can also tow the small camping trailer we bought to explore our new area.

I did consider a Volvo XC60, but they didn't have the 4500lb towing capability of the Jeep, and quite honestly I didn't see the value. A quick comparison:

Volvo XC60 (starts at $40k, probably $50k+ with the desired options, 2019 pricing)
      * 4 cylinder engine, towing 3500lbs
      * Sensus looks nice but I'm not sold on the buttonless approach
      * Beautiful interior, still nothing like it
      * Dealer is across town, expensive to fix if kept out of warranty
      * Just doesn't have the character of older Volvos

Jeep Cherokee (starts in mid $20k, about $42k with every option)
      * 6 cylinder engine, towing 4500lbs
      * Infotainment not fancy, but screen is big, easy to use, and offers redundant buttons for most things
      * Plain interior (went with black for durability, the ivory/brown was prettier though)
      * Dealer is close by, parts are cheap (compared to Volvo at least) and readily available
      * So common we had to put stickers on the windows so we could tell which one is ours in the Target parking lot

The Cherokee has everything our s60 Inscription Platinum has except unlock sensors on the back doors and rear sun shades. This includes: heated/ventilated Nappa leather front seats, heated steering wheel, auto climate, auto wipers, HID lights, adaptive cruise, lane keeping assist, emergency auto brake, backup camera (huge 9" screen) w/auto brake, parking sensors all around with park assist, good (but not great) audio system, pano sunroof, motorized hatch, reliable app support including send-to-car location for nav, remote start (also on the key fob if you don't want to subscribe), oil/fuel/tire monitors, laminated side glass, and a few other things I can't think of now. While the lower trim models would probably feel less solid and quiet than we're used to, this one (Overland trim) actually feels very Volvo-ish. Reminds me of our XC 70.

So, while I'm glad that Volvo is doing well, I don't see a new one in our future. We will, of course, keep the c70 as long as we continue to enjoy it. It's getting a little long in the tooth but we did all the maintenance so it should keep going a good long while. I will of course continue to follow Volvo's fortunes and cheer them on.
      2007 C70 T5 Magic Blue
      Previous:

33. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements